|1) Farran Realty Partners announced a partnership with Benefis Health System to develop 216 unit complexlocated adjacent to the Touro Medical School in Great Falls; see KRTV and The Electric.|
2) The Newberry in Downtown Great Falls officially opened Thursday night with their first concert hosting over 550 people. Check out their website for upcoming concerts and events. There’s something for everyone!
3) Invest in Downtown Great Falls is this Thursday, 10/28. Want to know more about the Downtown Great Falls Market? Participate in Invest Downtown from 10-noon both in person at the Newberry and via Zoom followed by property tours. Register here. Because of the generosity of our sponsor, NorthWestern Energy, this event is free to you!
4) Congratulations to NeighborWorks Great Falls on being awarded $6.5 million in tax credits by the Montana Board of Housing to support redevelopment of the Baatz Building in Downtown Great Falls to create permanent supportive housing, the first of its kind in our community. Read more about the planned project over at The Electric.
5) Check out the newest video in our Ask an Expert series, where locals (new and long-time) share about what they know best in our community. This week, Great Falls parent and business owner Jamie Marshall talks all things Great Falls Public Schools and what sets our schools and students apart. Watch it here: https://youtu.be/Rn6XcXbe_W0. Subscribe to the Grow Great Falls Montana YouTube channel!
6) The best ingredients make the best beer. MaltEurop Malting Company and Jeremiah Johnson Brewing Company are a delicious partnership bringing Montana barley to each glass of Jeremiah Johnson beer. Check out their story here.
7) Governor Gianforte announced the opening of a Montana Asia Trade Office in Taiwan, a resource we hope to utilize to attract foreign direct investment in our region; see KFBB.
8) Learn how to tools to create fast, simple, professional, branded graphics for your business using Canva. Sign up for our webinar on November 4 at 11 AM. Register here.
9) The McLaughlin Research Institute announced a $5 million gift to support its expanding research and education efforts. See Great Falls Tribune, The Electric, and KRTV.
10) The Montana Department of Commerce launched an investment matchmaking website for Montana business projects. The Opportunity Exchange’s – Montana Investment Portal is a website where investors can easily view and connect to projects in the state. Click here to view listed projects. Click here to get your investment project listed on the portal. For help posting your project or property on the Montana Investment Portal, contact Kristian Richardson at 406-841-2032 or [email protected].
11) The Great Falls City Commission approved tax increment financing funds for construction of the Great Falls Wayfinding signage that the Business Improvement District is undertaking.
12) We are looking for a Women’s Business Advisor for our partnership with the Women’s Entrepreneurship and Leadership Lab (WELL). Work across the region and state with women entrepreneurs helping them start, expand, and innovate. Click here to learn more.
13) The Montana DBE program and NACDC Financial Services are sponsoring a workshop covering Digital Marketing Strategies on Wednesday November 10th, 2021 in Browning. The workshop will cover strategies for effective social media marketing as well as how to get your business to show up better on Google. Space is limited. Click here to register. For additional information, contact Matt Harrington with NACDC Financial Services at 406-229-0327 [email protected].
14) The Great Falls Association of Realtors secured a $5,000 grant from the National Association of Realtors to support the housing market demand assessment we have commissioned in partnership with NeighborWorks Great Falls. The local Realtors association is providing an additional $500 match.
15) The Made in Montana Tradeshow for Food & Gifts is scheduled for March 11-12, 2022 in Helena at the Lewis and Clark County Fairgrounds.
16) Deep dive into QuickBooks Online in this one way course covering all aspects of the program. QuickBooks Pro Advisor Wendy Weissman will provide hands on instruction for those both new and experienced. The course is at Great Falls College MSU on Friday, November 19 from 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM. Register here.
17) The Montana Film Office is excited to announce that the Fiscal Year 2022 Big Sky Film Grant (BSFG) is open for submissions and will be awarding $1.5 million dollars in grant funds to selected productions — AND we’ve extended our deadline to November 29. Grant applications are being accepted in 3 categories: Feature Film & TV, Resident Filmmaker, and Short-Form Content. Visit our BSFG webpage HERE for more details on categories and program details. Before applying, please read the program’s Instructions & Guidelines HERE. Applications are accepted via Submittable platform and found on our website HERE.
18) We published the GFDA Quarter Index for 2021Q3. GFDA’s Executive Committee approved moving forward with retaining TrippUmbach to develop a strategy to leverage Great Falls’ rapidly growing healthcare and bioscience assets to foster further economic growth and prosperity. The $50,000 effort is made possible by GFDA’s amazing investors. Here is a copy of the Proposal to Develop a Bioscience Economic Development Strategy for Great Falls. This is the fourth part of GFDA’s strategic planning effort we began this summer.
19) Thank you to our wonderful team of investors! Recent investments include: Champion Division—Benefis Health System; Advance Division—Energy West; Leadership Division—Murphy Real Estate, LLC; Pacesetter Division—AE2S, Jerry Hood. Everything we do is possible because of the continued support of our investors. If you would like to be a part of the team that is helping to grow Great Falls, contact Investment Director Jenn Gallmeier at 406-781-9499 or [email protected].
20) As part of our continuous improvement and strategic planning work, I participated in the National Association of Development Organizations (NADO) annual training conference with two Montana economic development colleagues (shout out to Paul Tuss of Bear Paw Development and Sean McGuire of Sweetgrass Development — our three organizations are the only NADO members in Montana. I gave a presentation on relevance and return on investment, and accepted two awards GFDA earned for our economic development response to the pandemic and for our role in supporting the West Bank Landing brownfield riverfront redevelopment.
21) Then I was off to the International Downtown Association annual conference, joining up with Downtown Development Partnership of Great Falls partners Joan Redeen of the Business Improvement District, Kellie Pierce of the Downtown Great Falls Association, and Sherrie Arey of NeighborWorks Great Falls. Joan and Kellie gave a presentation on the unique pedlet program that has made outside dining possible in downtown Great Falls.
22) In between conferences, I had the pleasure of teaching two parts of the International Economic Development Council‘s new professional development course, Introduction to Entrepreneurship-led Economic Development.
Let’s keep the momentum speeding up!!!
President & CEO
Connect with me on LinkedIn to network with the Great Falls Montana region. Forward the GFDA Top 10 to friends and colleagues. You can join our distribution list HERE or text GFDA to 22828.
“Exploration is the engine that drives innovation. Innovation drives economic growth. So let’s all go exploring.”
We are HUNGRY to Grow the Great Falls regional economy, create higher wage jobs, build our tax base, improve our market competitiveness, and enhance the quality of life and economic opportunity for residents of Great Falls, Cascade County, and the entire 13-county Great Falls trade area.