|MATR Newsletter - Fri Nov 6, 2009|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
MATR Web services provided by:
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
"Though the primary concern is on the recruitment and retention of the existing talent by generating an ‘anchor’ company, (Your community name here) must not forget to be proactive with cultivating the young scientific entrepreneurs and talented businesspeople that want to build great new companies, and their careers, already here in the Northwest." http://matr.net/articl ... .html
"City Club Missoula November Forum Presents: Health Care Reform: Patch The Crack Or Repair The Windshield?, 11/16" http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html --- Great Opportunity for Montana startups: "Submissions Open for the 2010 Venture Capital in the Rockies. Are there Montana and Wyoming Companies That Would Like to Compete for Funding?" http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html --- " Montana IBMer's have a lot to be proud of! Lets win the World Community Grid challenge to support cancer, AIDS, influenza research, clean energy and several other critical research projects." http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html
Idaho National Laboratory
- SBA Honors Agency of the Year for Contracting Efforts - The National Park Service (NPS)
During FY 2009, NPS awarded 12 contracts totaling almost $3.2 million to Montana 8(a) participants. In the process, they utilized four different 8(a) contractors to perform the work on the contracts, which is the primary intent of the 8(a) program.
Montana World Trade Center
- Idaho National Laboratory - Assistant Secretary Schaffer dedicates Industrial Control Systems Cyber Emergency Response Team capability
The ICS-CERT was created earlier this year to coordinate global efforts and respond to cyber vulnerabilities and threats affecting the industrial control systems that operate critical infrastructure and key resources.
- Idaho National Laboratory educates Idaho businesses on working with the lab
"Sharing our knowledge and procurement opportunities with Idaho-based businesses is important to the laboratory," Storms said. "As Idaho's laboratory, we are constantly targeting Idaho small businesses and shaping their best commercial practices to help us achieve our mission."
Highway 12 Ventures
- Nominations Sought for the 2009 State of Montana Governor's Excellence in Exporting Award - Deadline November 13!
Do you know of a small business that has made a significant contribution to the state or national economy by exporting Montana products or services, marketing programs to increase export sales, or accessed a new international market?
City Club Missoula
- Highway 12 Ventures Leads Series A Financing for Online Travel Journal Sharing Company - Everlater
"We are excited to have our new venture capital partner, Highway 12, join Everlater's mission to be the dominant application to record and share travel experiences.
- Why We’re (HIghway 12 Ventures) Excited About Our Investment In Everlater
There is a lot to be excited about with Everlater - great people, great opportunity and a great product. From all of us at Highway 12 Ventures - Congrats to Nate, Natty and the Everlater team. We look forward to working with you to build the company you envision.
Come Home Montana
- City Club Missoula November Forum Presents: Health Care Reform: Patch The Crack Or Repair The Windshield?, 11/16
University of Montana economist Gregg Davis will explore the state of health care and discuss why its associated costs must be addressed looking forward. He will explain the economic challenges facing the system and examine several alternatives for reform.
Three Cups of Tea - The Central Asia Institute
- Montana Career Opportunity - Grant Administrator/Planner - Great Northern Development Corporation
Applicants for the position should be able to demonstrate skills in preparing and presenting written and oral summaries and reports using computerized analysis programs and grant management software, establishing and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, clients, committee members, contractors, state and federal government agencies, and the general public.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Business Development Specialist - S&K Technologies
S&K Technologies, Inc. is seeking a Business Development Specialist for the Business Development and Marketing Services group, which provides dynamic marketing and business development services to subsidiary corporations.
- Montana Talent - Interested in environmental non-profit or law office opportunities - Colin Phelps
Developing a more Entrepreneurial Montana
- Greg Mortenson (Three Cups of Tea) inspires Bozeman, Montana students
Mortenson, 51, was not feeling well Wednesday, but that didn’t stop him from keeping his promise to speak to 5,500 Bozeman students about his life’s work -- building schools for children in the poorest, most remote and dangerous areas of Pakistan and Afghanistan.
- Google's Schmidt on What Sets Silicon Valley Apart
You need a venture-capital industry, you need a culture that will be tolerant of failure and the laws have to allow you to fail and not be criminalized. You have to obviously have a global perspective.
- It Takes a Village to Raise an Entrepreneur:
Though the primary concern is on the recruitment and retention of the existing talent by generating an ‘anchor’ company, (Your community name here) must not forget to be proactive with cultivating the young scientific entrepreneurs and talented businesspeople that want to build great new companies, and their careers, already here in the Northwest.
Montana Economic Development
- WorkSafe Montana Commitment Month Kicks Off
WorkSafeMT is a nonprofit foundation dedicated to the elimination of workplace injury, illness and fatalities in the state of Montana.
- EverLog™ Systems Newsletter November 2009 - "Period Homes Magazine" Covers EverLog™ Systems.
Suppose, though, it was possible to blend the best of timber's earthy ambiance and regional authenticity with 21st–century efficiency and sustainability.
- Bozeman importer, Flat Earth Imports, brings unique products to U.S.
The business could have a ripple effect in Montana, opening doors for Montana companies to market their goods in Italy, such as Montana wheat, said Arnie Sherman, chief executive officer of the Montana World Trade Center. It has already resulted in an increased number of faculty and student exchanges between the two countries.
- What’s Mamalode (Missoula, Montana) and our mission? This video explains it all.
The next issue of Mamalode comes out next week 11/11/09. If you'd like a copy, please contact
- Montana's "home-grown" electronics store Vann's gets kudos from Consumer Reports
Montana's "home-grown" electronics store has pulled off a major accomplishment, topping the heavy hitters of the on-line retail word in the latest rankings from Consumer Reports.
- Missoula-based business Cycling House makes fitness an adventure
The Cycling House, which provides fitness vacations and training camps for serious amateur and professional cyclists and triathletes, is a contender in a niche fitness market.
Regional Economic Development
- Montana Association of Community Development Extension Professionals: November 2009 E-Newsletter
A new report from the US Department of Agriculture's Economic Research Service looks at how the economic recession is affecting rural areas.
- Getting Real About “Green” Jobs
Given the recession, job loss, and our nation’s otherwise dismal financial condition, many are now questioning the continued emphasis on green jobs, climate change, and cap-and-trade legislation.
Developing Funding Opportunities in Montana
- 10 Ways to Get the Most from a 360 Degree Leadership Assessment
A 360 degree leadership assessment is one of the most effective ways to get feedback from your employees, peers, and managers against a set of pre-defined leadership competencies.
Funding and Building your Business
- State offers entrepreneurs a boost through $120 Million Fund of Funds
The Act offers $120 million in gross premiums tax credits to insurance companies that invest in companies. The idea is to foster a wave of entrepreneurship and identify businesses that could become transformational companies that take roost in the state and create jobs, said Matt Kisber, the state's economic and community development commissioner.
Incubators and R&D
- Submissions Open for the 2010 Venture Capital in the Rockies. Are there Montana and Wyoming Companies That Would Like to Compete for Funding?
The focus of the conference is on information technology, clean technology and alternative energy, consumer products and internet services. We will not have a life sciences track at the conference.
- Lessons from Entrepreneurs Who Beat the Odds
To gain insight into specific practices that enable small companies to keep going even during difficult times, BusinessWeek profiled three entrepreneurs.
- How to Get Found
Today people and businesses are tired of being the targets of so much outbound marketing and they're getting better and better in blocking it out.
- Why Twitter Lists Matter
Enabling user-generated innovation and then getting out the way is something Twitter does well.
- 20 of the Best Resources to Get Your Startup Off the Ground
Before you dive into your startup (or maybe after you’re neck-deep), you should get yourself a crash course education in starting a business.
Montana Education Excellence
- One stop research shopping - Montana State University
The consortium will seek to connect researchers to resources -- including animal models, equipment, cell and tissue banks, training opportunities, and antibodies -- that were developed at the nine schools (Montana State University).
- Funding Available For Environmental Research and Development
Environmental Restoration — innovative technologies for the detection, characterization, containment, and remediation of a wide range of contaminants in soil, sediments, and water.
- Montana Superintendent Denise Juneau to Serve on Executive Board of Nation's Largest Non-Profit Education Accrediting Organization
“It is a great honor for Montana, and says a great deal about the quality and commitment of our teachers to have our Superintendent serving on this board,” said Pete Donovan, who served as past president of the National Association of State Directors of Teacher and Educator Certification and currently administers the Montana Certification Standards and Practices Advisory Council of the Board of Public Education.
- Bitterroot schools using electronic testing in Montana
Florence Superintendent John McGee said MAP testing is a significant weapon in the effort to make classrooms a dynamic place where teachers can more nimbly address areas where students need a little extra work.
- Jobs for Montana's Graduates Honors Local Students and Teachers
JMG is dedicated to helping young people graduate from high school and make successful transitions to postsecondary education, the military or meaningful employment. JMG underclassmen have a return to school rate of 95% statewide and a 94% return in schools serving Indian youth.
Oregon Economic Development
- U of U’s Imaging Technology Team Demonstrates the Power of Collaboration
These are some of the hoped-for benefits of recruiting leading scientists to Utah under the USTAR initiative and they are materializing, as the experience of the University of Utah's Imaging Technology team shows.
- Oregon curbs controversial tax breaks for wind and solar firms
Oregon energy officials released new rules Tuesday aimed at curbing a controversial state program that grants lucrative tax subsidies for wind, solar and other renewable power plants.
- A North Idaho-based educational technology organization, Northwest Council for Computer Education, NCCE, has recently signed a partnership with Microsoft Corporation to teach more than 1,000 educators in Idaho, Montana, Oregon and Washington.
"Over 1,000 plus educators will be a part of this project and we are really excited to be a part of schools' ongoing need for professional development at reasonable costs."
- eSchool News - Technology News for Today's K-20 Educators
Beyond virtual schools Common perceptions aside, online learning can take many different forms.
Connectivity & Communications
- Montana Chamber, Montana Electric Cooperative Association and Montana Credit Union Network to host Campaign Schools throughout Montana
If you are thinking about running for office (local, legislative or statewide), if you think you may run for office some day, or even if you plan on volunteering on someone's campaign, this school is a great place to learn about the fundamental elements of a successful campaign.
Energy and Climate Change
- European Union Reaches Agreement to Improve Internet User Rights - Verizon Wireless doubles early termination fee
The consumer rights section is particularly interesting, as it would give Europeans the right to switch telecoms operators within 1 day and the right to transparent and comparable price information.
Cool Stuff That's Coming
- Climate Countdown: A Community Discussion On Global Cap And Trade, 11/17, Missoula
With projections for significant climate change and Congressional debate heating up, cap and trade is a “hot” topic across the country, making Climate Countdown – A Community Discussion of Global Cap and Trade a must see event.
- 'Green Economy' or Miles of Eyesore?
The common playing field for all is rural America.
- Green Energy Agenda Favors Entreprenurial Development in Rural Communities
The Danes' shift to renewable, local energy sources have revitalized former textile towns and turned blacksmiths into wind-power entrepreneurs.
- DEQ Offers Free Energy Efficiency Construction Seminar in Missoula
Presenters will explain how different components of a house - insulation, windows, framing, heating and ventilation systems - work together to provide an energy efficient home with good indoor air quality.
- Betting on a Metal-Air Battery Breakthrough - Fluidic Energy
The company aims to build a Metal-Air Ionic Liquid battery that has up to 11 times the energy density of the top lithium-ion technologies for less than one-third the cost.
- Google Dashboard Lets Users Review Collected Data
At launch, Google Dashboard links to more than 20 products and services, and Google wants the practice to become an industry standard.
- Microsoft College Tour 09: mindblowing natural user interface concept demos from Microsoft Research
A feature of this year’s tour appears to be a next-generation computer – one that docks and undocks from a transparent glass display and allows for not only pen and voice input as you’d come to expect from natural user interfaces, but also incorporates touchless gestures and eye-tracking to interact with the information at hand.
- New Mexico Lt. Gov. Diane Denish Touts Google Apps in Cost-Saving Plan
"switching the state from current systems to Google Apps could generate as much as $1.9 million in recurring savings."
- Missoula's Poverello Center celebrates 35th birthday, helping the homeless
"I've only been here for three or four months, but this place has meant the world to me," said 55-year-old David Poe, who has been out of work for months. "They've taken me in and I'm really fortunate to be able to be here for a birthday party."
- Montana IBMer's have a lot to be proud of! Lets win the World Community Grid challenge to support cancer, AIDS, influenza research, clean energy and several other critical research projects.
The success of World Community Grid rests on our ability to grow the number of individuals collectively contributing their unused computer time to this not-for-profit endeavor.
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page