|MATR Newsletter - Fri Aug 29, 2014|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
“If you have better information, faster than your competitors, you can run ’em ragged. In God we trust—all others must bring data.” Houston Astros owner Jim Crane http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html
"Super Supers: An Evening With The Nation's Best School Leaders,", 9/9, Online http://www.matr.net/ev ... =5162 --- From Scratch to Startup in 54 hours - Glacier Startup Weekend - 9/19-21 http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html
Kalispell Chamber of Commerce
Montana Department of Commerce
- Kalispell pilot fulfills childhood dream of flying as an Air Force Thunderbird - Mountain Madness Airshow at Glacier International Airport
Major Jason Curtis will have a lot on his mind this weekend.
- Thunderbirds zoom into Flathead
Curtis promised there will be "a lot of thrills" at the Mountain Madness Air Show. The F-16s reach speeds of more than 1,000 miles per hour.
Montana Technology Innovation Partnership
- 2014 Data User's Conference, 10-21/22, Helena, Montana
The conference features presentations and hands on workshops, including national presenters from the U.S. Census Bureau.
The 2014 Compete Smart Manufacturing Conference, 10/9-10, Billings, Montana
- SBIR/STTR Air Force Roadshow, 9/22, Bozeman, Montana
During his visit, David will provide overviews of the DoD and Air Force SBIR/STTR programs, and will be available to answer your questions. He will also meet individually for one-on-one consultation sessions.
Dorsey & Whitney LLP
- Celebrate Manufacturing by Adding Your Product to the 100-Foot Wall at Compete Smart Oct. 9-10
Showcase items draw media attention and help celebrate "Making the Magic: Manufacturing". This space is sponsored by UPS and the Montana Department of Commerce along with conference co-hosts MMEC & NorthWestern Energy.
- Organic Internet Growth: New .ORGANIC Domain Names Launch
If an organic standards body has approved you or your product, you are likely eligible to register an .organic domain name.
- New Arrivals: Three Products You Need To Know About
Our team of product development specialists have been busy this summer creating some of our most exciting offerings yet. In case you missed them, here's a recap to catch you up.
Come Home Montana
- Companies do away with chief operating officers as real-time business metrics make it easier to manage
"CEOs are expected to be closer to the business."
- Student-Built Apps Teach Colleges a Thing or Two
Experiences like those two are becoming common at campuses around the country, as students are showing up the universities that trained them by producing faster, easier-to-navigate, more informative and generally just better versions of the information systems at the heart of undergraduate life.
- Big data: There's signal in that noise
Guess what? Sometimes noise is the point.
- Extreme Moneyball: The Houston Astros Go All In on Data Analysis
"If you have better information, faster than your competitors, you can run 'em ragged."
Developing a more Entrepreneurial Montana
- Montana Career Opportunities - Various - Big Sky Resorts
The Big Sky Chamber of Commerce is excited to announce a new feature on www.bigskychamber.com that allows businesses to post jobs and residents to find employment.
- Montana Career Opportunity - System Support Specialist- PrintingForLess
Are you technically gifted, smart, nice and hungry...and not just for Mexican food? Do you want a title that is a challenge to say five times fast?
- Montana Career Opportunities - ArcGIS experts, Java, Python, Android developers, Sales and Marketing, Environmental Sciences and Public Health - New Leaf Environmental, LLC
New Leaf Environmental LLC http://newleafenvironmental.com/ is a high-tech startup in Missoula, MT looking to become the Weather Underground of environmental insight in an effort to raise awareness about the environment and its impact on public health.
- Montana Career Opportunities - Senior Web Application Developer, Front End Developer, Back End Developer, Customer Sales Support Representative and more - Fidano
Endorsed by one of the largest payment processing companies in the world – Fidano develops reporting services for leaders in the industry.
- Montana Career Opportunities - Mechanical Engineer, Electrical Engineer - Montana Instruments
Montana Instruments is dedicated to building a team that understands the needs of the next generation of researchers worldwide, with the skills to develop innovative product solutions to serve those needs.
- Montana Career Opportunities - VB Developer, IT Engineering Technician, Project Analyst/Process Support, Contract Software Developer and more... - Arrow Solutions Group
The best jobs in our region are often found through knowing the right person at the right company. Our connections get you access to high quality jobs not found in newspapers and traditional media.
- Montana Career Opportunities - IT Help Desk Specialist, Logistics Manager & Project Bid Coordinator, eMerchandising Manager - Murdoch's
Are you looking for a career where fun is a job requirement? Why not consider Murdoch's?
- Building a Mini Silicon Valley in Rural America
Vermont is looking for 21st century solutions. "You can work in tech from anywhere. So for people whom the outdoors is very important to them, this might be an ideal place to sort of grow that scene."
Startup Weekend in Montana Communities
- Bag Boss: Goertzen Adventure Equipment making name as premium leather bag company
During the past several years, the niche demographic gear for hunters and fly fisherman has been overtaken in popularity by the more general use leather shoulder bags. That's what makes up most of Goertzen's business now.
- From Scratch to Startup in 54 hours - Glacier Startup Weekend - 9/19-21
Glacier Startup Weekend will hit Kalispell on Sept. 19 through Sept. 21 at Flathead Valley Community College, where more than 120 participants will gather to pitch entrepreneurial ideas, form teams and get those startups off the ground, all in 54 hours.
- How a Teenager Landed a 'Dream Job' at Facebook
It seems that in Facebook's endless hunt for talent--its employee count increased by 37 percent in 2013, to 6,337--neither higher education nor age are must-haves.
- Jobs Of The Future: Where They Are, How To Get Them
Designer, developer, data scientist are all predicted to be in-demand jobs in the coming year. How to land one? Not the way you think.
- Cheese is now Idaho's largest export
Since January of 2014 Idaho has outpaced New York in milk production and exported $213 million in cheese, dry milk, whey, butter and lactose, a 52% increase from previous years according to the latest state numbers.
- Tesla gigafactory: State budget watchdogs urge restraint on tax breaks, incentives
"The gigafactory is a big fish to land, but it's a pretty high price to pay."
Regional Economic Development
- How does your state do on gender equality?
"A lot of companies say 'we're committed to this,'" Ms. Unguresan told the Post. "But increasingly there's a need to have a third party, independent party, saying their commitment is genuine."
21st Century Education Initiative - "You Should Care..."
- What Cities Can Teach Marketers About Marketing
What can "smart cities" and the men and women who promote them teach the private sector about marketing?
MAPS : Media Arts in the Public Schools
- TED Talk - Back to School - F. Pierson: Every kid needs a champion
"Kids don't learn from people they don't like."
- Tapping NASA to boost STEM interest
NASA is awarding more than $17.3 million to community and technical colleges through its National Space Grant and Fellowship Program to increase student and faculty engagement in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM.
- What Is Competency-Based Education, and Why Does It Matter?
In education today, only two things are certain: change is coming, and nobody knows what that change will look like.
Montana Education Excellence
- MAPS program prepares to start school year in new location
"This will provide great opportunities for kids to work in an environment other than a classroom - to let the creativity flow. It will get them into a different mind set - even the grounds outside the building lend themselves to filming. Also, it is close to the middle school so in bad weather Hamilton students could take the bus to the middle school and then just walk across the street."
Montana Education/Business Partnerships
- Mountain Line opens solar-powered bus stop thanks to Missoula high school students
"We wanted to promote clean energy and give riders a bit of an interactive experience while they wait for the bus," said Keilan Sayer, an i3 Group member.
- Flathead Valley Community College Rolls Out New Online Manufacturing Program
The one-semester programs include electronics technician, machinist technician and industrial maintenance
- Montana Governor Bullock learns about innovative teaching methods
Students got to showcase a program that identifies a problem in the community and finds a solution.
Funding and Building your Business
- St. Ignatius tech company brings Native language in the digital age
Imagine browsing through your own smart phone's "App store" and be able to download a talking dictionary or course that includes phrases such as "Oki kanaitapi," ("Hello, everyone" in Piikani) or "Ki su k kyukyit" ("Good day" in Kootenai); or any other Montana tribal language phrase you choose.
Energy and Climate Change
- This Guy Is Launching 12 Startups in 12 Months
Levels is on a quest to launch 12 "startups" in just 12 months, and he's a third of the way home now.
- Tech Upgrades Helped PG&E Respond Quickly After Napa, Calif., Earthquake
"For once, PG&E is due an accolade."
- Speak Your Climate: A Climate of Change
There's a perception that rural areas are less willing to deal with climate-change policy. A groundbreaking project in Minnesota shows that residents are ready to talk and take action, when the conversation addresses rural concerns.
- App rewards homeowners switching off devices when dirty power plants serve their house
Ohmconnect notifies customers of the best times to reduce energy consumption and offering cash rewards for doing so.
- A New Way to Generate Electricity
A powerful new way to generate electricity could eventually make electric cars and electronic gadgets run longer.
- Colorado Names New Chief Technology Officer
With a decade of experience leading technical teams in health care, Colorado's new CTO -- David McCurdy -- will try his hand at public service.
- Riding the Second Wave of Civic Innovation
Public-private collaborations for local-government innovation are spreading. There are some best practices for making them work.
- Using Big Data For Social Good
Using data to forecast social impact program outcomes.
- United begins direct flights between Houston, Williston, N.D.
"Every time an airline has added a flight, another airline has responded," said Airport Manager Steven Kjergaard.
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page