|MATR Newsletter - Fri Mar 28, 2014
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
The "smarts" of any community will be judged in large part by how well its citizens use technology to make their city a better place to live. http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html
Sign up now! - Missoula Job Service Career Fair, 4/24, Missoula, Montana - http://www.matr.net/ev ... =4948
Montana Data Focused Business Cluster
TEDx Events in Montana
- Big Data Week - May 5-11 - 30+ Cities Worldwide and MONTANA!!
The festival connects a number of global cities through locally hosted meetups, events, networking functions, data visualisation demo's, debates, discussion and hackathons.
Next Generation Broadband in Missoula
- oday's TED Talk Bran Ferren: To create for the ages, let's combine art and engineering
Once known for entertaining millions by creating special effects for Hollywood, theme parks and Broadway, Applied Minds cofounder Bran Ferren now solves impossible tech challenges with previously unimaginable inventions.
- TedxWhitefish - Elke Govertsen
By growing Mamalode from a regional to national publication, Elke learned many lessons, but her ability to work in absolute kid chaos might be the best.
Visit Montana - Montana Dept. of Tourism
- Minnesota Local Governments Advance Super Fast Internet Networks
Minnesota Local Governments Advance Super Fast Internet Networks examines five rural communities that have deployed fiber networks.
Great Falls Development Authority
- In Yellowstone, the call of the wintry wild
Yellowstone remains a wilderness to be treasured in any season. But President Theodore Roosevelt had the right idea when, during a 16-day visit in spring 1903, he sneaked away from his party to explore the backcountry by himself for a couple of days.
- Cascade County Population Growing
We came just 45 people shy of our 1990's peak of 82,429 in 1996.
Come Home Montana
- Big Data Sparks Corporate Turf Fights Companies Debate - Which Department Should Oversee This Vital Asset
Big data comes with a big internal turf question: Who gets to decide how it's collected, used, stored and protected?
- Google asked: How good are interviews for predicting performance on the job?
"Start modeling the process and you start appreciating the difficulty.... But the idea is that we can improve, we can do better, we can be more accurate by adding some analysis to the intuition of the people who are making the decisions."
- Gallup ranks Billings, Montana no. 1 city in job satisfaction, no. 15 in well-being
"In the Billings area there's a variety of opportunity," Mayor Hanel said, listing industries such as farming, technology, medical and energy as reasons why Billings ranked so high in job satisfaction.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Account Manager - ALPS Corporation
Do you want to join one of the best in the insurance industry? ALPS Corporation is looking for you!
- Business for sale in Missoula, Montana
It is still growing, and new people are finding us every day..
- Intern jobs in the Montana Department of Commerce
The Department of Commerce released two intern job postings today.
- Arrow Solutions Career Opportunity - PC Technician
Arrow Solutions Group is seeking an experienced PC Technician based in Billings, MT for a long-term contract with travel.
- Arrow Solutions Group Career Opportunity - IT Security Manager - Missoula, MT
This person will be responsible for overseeing the operations of the enterprise's security solutions and establishing an enterprise security stance through policy, architecture and training processes.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Portfolio Analyst - Montana CDC
The position assists the Director of Asset Management and the Sr. Portfolio Analyst with client financial analysis, and management of the loan portfolio.
Montana Economic Development
- Bacterin turns in net loss in 2013, sees gains in revenues
The CEO told the Chronicle earlier this year that he plans to focus on efficiency and productivity in the company's sales force, and to invest in research and development.
- Maclay Ranch asking price adjusted to $17.5M, a $5M discount
A 5,000-square-foot log home with five bedrooms and a stone patio was constructed eight years ago and two streams, Squaw Creek and the seasonal McClain Creek, flow through the ranch for a total of more than three miles.
- Bozeman Business and Professional Women hand out awards
"BPW has been in existence for over 80 years, and it is a way to recognize not only our members but other women in the community that are doing things to help promote other women politically, professionally and personally," said Paula K. Beswick, foundation director of Bozeman BPW.
- Synesis7 Named to "10 Most Promising Aerospace Technology Consulting Providers" List by CIOReview Magazine for 2014
Synesis7 develops and delivers innovative affordable solutions that address the challenges of accelerating non-linear change, rapid data proliferation, prolonged readiness demands, and budget and cost reduction pressures.
- Mamalode is a magazine. A website. A movement.
Our readers and writers are moms--with a smattering of dads, kids, grandparents, aunts, uncles and friends. They become Mamaloders because we give them something nobody else does--the truth and each other.
- Can Cities and Rural Counties Come Together? One Montana - Bridging the Rural-Urban Divide
Groups in places across the country are working to move away from old-school binary "rural or urban" thinking and instead find issues where the two groups can work together.
- How to get a job at Google - The Most Valuable Traits in a Potential Employee, According to Google
Figuring out how to distinguish yourself in a crowded field and land a job is a lifelong career just by itself.
- Find the Right Mentor During a Career Transition
Just at the moment that you really need professional advice from someone senior and more experienced, you are on your own. But don't despair! There are mentors you can cultivate to help you during your transition.
- Montana Gov. Bullock and Lt. Gov. McLean sign petition for Medicaid expansion initiative
Bullock said the expansion would bring in $1.6 billion of federal money to the state in 2016. He said since the Legislature "callously rejected" Medicaid expansion last year, it's time for the people to "get this done for themselves."
- OPE to examine lawyer contracts, employee bonuses
The OPE will also review the Idaho System for Educational Excellence, the state's longitudinal data portal. Lawmakers requested the review, which will study ISEE's accuracy and costs to school districts, after there were reports of implementation problems with the new system.
- Idaho ranks second-to-last in personal income and #2 in minimum wage-jobs
Two of every three jobs created in Idaho last year were in the service industry, work that typically pays about $10,000 less than what employees would make in a construction or manufacturing position.
- Women-owned businesses on the rise in Idaho
Women today own an estimated 37,700 Idaho businesses, a 46.3 percent rise from 1997, according to the report.
21st Century Education Initiative - "You Should Care..."
- The Part-Time, Freelance, Collaborative Economy
On the national level, the country needs more citizens working more hours to pay taxes and to start to alleviate our unsustainable debt and unfunded liabilities.
- Big Data Enters the Classroom
Now, some educators believe, it's time to put that data to use.
- Montana Middle-School Girls to Attend STEM Career Workshops at UM
"I was already interested in math and science, but that workshop played a big part in inspiring me to pursue work in the engineering field," Revis said. "When I found out they were hosting EYH at UM, I jumped at the opportunity."
- Montana Tech Hosting Summer Stem Camp For Young Women, 7/27-8/2, Butte, Montana
Applications for the camp will be competitive and are open to young women who will be entering their sophomore or junior year in high school in the fall of 2014.
Montana Education Excellence
- Study Names Colleges With the Best Return on Investment
How do you measure the value of a college education? PayScale has the salary data to rank hundreds of U.S. colleges and universities based on total cost and alumni earnings. Find the best returns on investment by school type, location, major and more.
Universities and Economic Development
- University Of Montana Innovation And Imagination 2014 Luncheon, 4/14, Missoula, Montana
Innovation and Imagination is a yearly event held at the University of Montana to highlight our achievements in research, creative scholarship and entrepreneurship/economic development. The luncheon for this year's event should be of interest to local businesses.
- UM Conference On Undergraduate Research, 4/11, Missoula, Montana
The day-long conference offers opportunities for University of Montana students of all majors to present their research and creative scholarship through oral presentations, posters, performances, and exhibits.
- UM Graduate Student Research Conference, 4/12, Missoula, Montana
The UM Graduate Student Research Conference brings together graduate students, community members, and faculty from a variety of disciplines.
- Rising to the challenge: Sunburst, Montana students win Samsung contest, $140K for school
"This is the real deal," Tharp said. "Our kids didn't put together a fluff project. It's life and death."
- University of Montana debates criteria for performance-based funding
The goal, Ressel said, is to have MSU and UM use the same metrics, ideally having both campuses measured by the exact same things.
- Montana Tech students, profs irked over Gianfortes as speakers; Some plan to skip commencement ceremony over religious, social views
"I think (the Gianfortes are) a bad choice," said Henry Gonshak, a professor of English in the liberal studies department. "For one, their very active affiliation with Focus on the Family, which is an extremely homophobic organization. It claims to be able to cure gay people, which can't be done and just makes them miserable."
- Montana State University Jake Jabs College of Business & Entrepreneurship Enactus Club
The MSU team is a newer club and has 26 members. While the club is run through the JJCBE, students in any major is welcome to join. Students involved in the club participate by volunteering for projects, writing grants and even proposing and leading new projects within the community.
Funding and Building your Business
- Smart Cities and the Technology of Walking
Fueled by a fundamental shift in the way people move about communities, cities, and regions, new innovations are being introduced that can make walking a high-tech exercise.
- America's Rural/Urban Divide: A Special Series
How governments respond to the widening rift between rural and urban America can either help bridge the gap or drive the country down an even more divergent path.
Energy and Climate Change
- "Come Sell Pickaxes and Blue Jeans With Me": The Best Gems From Y Combinator Pitch Day
After being groomed and trained for the stage at startup development program Y Combinator's 18th demo day, every pitcher today was slick. Super slick.
- Can We Identify Emotionally Intelligent Job Candidates?
Another consideration: there are other parts to emotional intelligence beyond emapthy, like self-awareness, self-management, and relationship management - the best measure would assess all of these.
- Companies Find Autism Can Be a Job Skill
Some employers increasingly are viewing autism as an asset and not a deficiency in the workplace.
- Nintendo's New Key to Creativity: More Women
'This turned out to be a great thing.'" It's not about quotas, Harmon concluded, but common sense.
- All of the top 10 most active angel groups in the U.S. are investing in healthcare
The size of angel financing rounds in the healthcare industry grew last year, although the share of all angel deals focused on healthcare stayed about the same.
- Fourteen Interview Questions to Help You Hire Your Next Innovator
When searching for the next innovator to add to your team, start by looking for these five critical innovation skills and asking the relevant questions to find candidates who have them.
Connectivity & Communications
- As Temperatures Rise, A 'Teaching Moment' Arises in Glacier Park
Within a few decades the glaciers that have been here for 7,000 years will be gone."
- LA doctors practice speeding up trauma care
In reality, trauma care is rarely this organized. But those who are prized for individual skills are increasingly learning that when it comes to treating trauma patients from accidents, natural disasters or terrorist bombings, communication and coordination can determine whether someone lives or dies.
- The Soft Infrastructure of Smart Cities
The "smarts" of any community will be judged in large part by how well its citizens use technology to make their city a better place to live.
- Missoula's Free Cycles needs your support now more than ever.
We have emerged from the winter ready to continue our core programs of free and low-cost bicycle services for the community at-large.
- Monitoring Bicyclist and Pedestrian Travel and Behavior
The circular identifies a selection of recent advancements in bicycle and pedestrian data monitoring pertaining to both traffic volumes and behavioral data.
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page