|MATR Newsletter - Fri Jan 31, 2014|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
It’s Nice to Be Important, But Important to Be Nice
City Club Missoula Presents: The City Budget Game, 2/10, Missoula, Montana http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html ---
Montana Data Focused Business Cluster
Montana Department of Commerce
- Network Forensics: Tracking Hackers Through Cyberspace, 2/6-9, Missoula, Montana
From the authors of Network Forensics: Tracking Hackers Through Cyberspace (Prentice Hall, 2012) comes the four-day Network Forensics course.
- Montana Business Resources Division Programs Adjust Wage Requirements for Economic Development Grants
The WTG and BSTF Programs use the most recent county average wage data and the new statewide minimum wage released by the Montana Department of Labor and Industry to calculate the qualifying wage that must be paid to potentially receive an award from these programs.
- The Montana Department of Commerce - City of Wolf Point to Receive $750,000 for Development of Affordable Housing
"The HOME Investment Partnerships program provides much-needed funding for a variety of housing activities in Montana," said Department of Commerce Director Meg O'Leary. "To help stretch these dollars, we've combined them with over $3 million of Montana Housing Tax Credits."
Great Falls Development Authority
- MontanaPBS Presents "Business: Made In Montana - onXmaps", Feb, 6-9-10,
onXmaps http://www.onxmaps.com/ : This Missoula company helps outdoor enthusiasts determine their location by using digital GPS maps on everyday devices. The company says they use today's technology to improve customers' hunting experiences.
- GFDA Top 12 1-27-14
Another beautiful sunny day in Great Falls! Here's the GFDA Top 12 for last week, celebrating great things happening to move Great Falls Forward!
Come Home Montana
- How A New Science of Cities is Emerging From Mobile Phone Data Analysis
Study the way people make mobile phone calls in metropolitan areas and you can see a city breathe, say computer scientists.
- How To Analyze Your Competitors Using Social Data
By understanding their performance in detail, you can optimize your plans for success.
Developing a more Entrepreneurial Montana
- Montana Career Opportunity - Software Engineer - TechMonster
Our engineers develop web base applications for internal business management as well as front facing applications for our customers and vendors.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Executive Director - Montana Public Employee Retirement Administration
MPERA is responsible for the daily management of the systems with trust fund assets in excess of $5.9 billion.
- Blackstone entrepreneurship program getting underway at UM
The search for a new director is underway
Montana Economic Development
- Bequet Confections Hits the Sweet Spot in Bozeman, Montana
Bequet credits much of the company's success to her employees. Montanans are passionate about their jobs, they hold a high standard and they care about what they're doing, she said.
- Red Lodge, Montana companies start small with big hopes for the future - Roscoe Outdoor and Red Lodge TV
"I'm an entrepreneur. My goal is to really create something in the community. I see a lot of talented people leave. I wanted a technical outlet for the younger kids where we can all make some money on it, eventually."
- As Health Care Demands Grow, So Do Montana Hospitals
Kalispell and Whitefish hospitals adding new programs, clinics
- Hotel to be Constructed on Former Kenyon Noble Site in Downtown Bozeman
The City of Bozeman can check a long-sought item off its goal list with the proposed development of a 104-room, 70,000-square foot hotel in the Mendenhall corridor in downtown Bozeman.
- Missoula's Economy is On The Move
It's the culmination of Missoula's natural beauty, its opportunities for families, and the expertise in technical and biological research.
- Butte launches state's first fiber optic network; Bullock throws switch
"It makes Butte, America, that much more attractive," Bullock said. "It really is the backbone to be able to interact with consumers, with students, with one another."
- Founder of RightNow, Greg Gianforte lays ideas for Montana's future on line - Entrepreneurs, education key
"What do we need to do to create jobs to keep our kids in the state?"
City Club Missoula
- New Cyber Threats Juice Pay for Security Chiefs - The Rise of the CISO
"Five years ago the CISO was almost unheard of."
- City Club Missoula Presents: The City Budget Game, 2/10, Missoula, Montana
It's a new year, and that means a new city budget. Come help Mayor John Engen and Steve Dodds (from Every Voice Engaged) determine the budget priorities for FY 2015.
- Montana Tax News You Can Use
An e-newsletter for tax preparers and those interested in the state's tax system
Incubators and R&D
- Montana CDC uses New Market Tax Credits to Improve Access to Healthcare in Idaho
"Montana CDC and the Targhee Professional Offices planners are to be congratulated for their foresight to address health care needs in the region, and the new job creation this project brings is welcomed." Idaho Senator Mike Crapo
- Idaho's wine industry makes video playfully promoting Idaho as a wine state
"It gets tiring," a bearded man says to the camera. "Everywhere I go ... people just assume I make wine. They say things like, 'Oh, you're from Idaho. You must work at a winery.' ... Truth is, I'm a potato farmer."
21st Century Education Initiative - "You Should Care..."
- Tech foundation challenges innovators to find gun safety fix
The Smart Tech Challenges Foundation will dole out cash and grants to fund innovations that help gun owners control who can access or shoot their firearms.
- Forest Products Laboratory's NewsLine, Winter 2014
In this issue you'll learn about a new high-efficiency wood stove design, get an update on the latest nanocellulose research at the Lab, find info on fastener corrosion when building with wood, and much more.
- How to Get More Early Bloomers - Important to know what works best in early education
Unless policy makers begin to design preschool programs in ways that can be evaluated later, the situation won't get any clearer.
Montana Education Excellence
- Reading Scores Show Majority of Children Not Prepared for Future Success
A majority of children in the U.S., including in Montana, are not reading proficiently by the time they reach fourth grade, which is a key predictor of a student's future educational and economic success.
- President Obama (Again) Calls for Pre-K Funding for States
"And as Congress decides what it's going to do, I'm going to pull together a coalition of elected officials, business leaders, and philanthropists willing to help more kids access the high-quality pre-K that they need," he said. "It is right for America. We need to get this done."
Montana Education/Business Partnerships
- Montana Council For Exceptional Children Presents: Leading The Change With 21st Century Tools, 2/5-7, Missoula, MT
Aiding Montana educators to explore and use tools to enhance both the teaching and learning process.
- MSU Involvement Fair helps students get involved
"It's a one-stop shop for students who want to find opportunities to get involved," said Robin Mayer, program coordinator in MSU's Office of Activities and Engagement.
- What is CodeMontana?
Any Montana high school student (public, private, or home school) that's a resident can sign up below. Learn at your own pace, there's no cost for the first 90 days.
Energy and Climate Change
- StreetSeen: A New Tool for Understanding the Built Environment
What tools can us as planners use in understanding what is most important to citizens?
- Expanding program links rural and urban high schoolers - OneMontana and its Rural-Urban Student Entrepreneur Exchange program
You can find what unites us rather than what divides us. You can create One Montana.
Connectivity & Communications
- Dam shame - One decision that put us between a rock and a dry place
"We should have left well enough alone, we should have listened to John Wesley Powell in the first place, we should have limited settlement on arid lands." It would have said, "We shoulda, we shoulda, we shoulda. ..."
- The FCC is 'beta testing' a next-gen telephone network
"Testing big ideas in a small way is a good way to understand the consequences of our policy choices and the impact on consumers before unleashing them on the world at large."
- Group Ranks How Well States Disclose Economic Development Subsidies
Assessing whether or not economic development subsidies are paying off requires examining a range of information, including lists of companies receiving money and payroll data to evaluate whether they've kept commitments.
- How Accountability and Transparency Are Improving Public Finance - Open information really does improve how cities operate
"Every step of the way you should anticipate getting pushback from whoever's been there the longest," Rawlings-Blake said recently at the U.S. Conference of Mayors winter meeting in Washington, D.C. "Making all the data as real time as possible doesn't sit well with some people."
Cool Stuff That's Coming
- 24th Annual Museum Of The Rockies Ball, 2/8, Bozeman, Montana
Dedicated to raising funds for the Museum, this is one of the most festive and fun benefit events held annually.
HACKING AND VIRUS ALERTS
- 3D printer lets users fax physical objects
Are there other ways to make 3D printing more accessible for those without technical knowledge and skill?
- Researchers turn adult cells back into stem cells
It has the potential to transform research using stem cells to treat disease, and it may lead to a new understanding of how the body heals from injury.
- If the credit charge was $9.84, take a closer look
If you see a $9.84 charge on your credit card statement, you should give it a hard look, the Better Business Bureau is warning.
- Delta announces new direct flight from Bozeman to New York's LaGuardia airport
Two new non-stop destinations announced in two days.
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page