|MATR Newsletter - Fri Nov 22, 2013|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
Technology, Talent, and Tolerance - Is your community maximizing its creativity for economic success? "The segments of our economy that drive the most wealth are business and management, science and technology, banking and finance, and arts and culture. Is your city carefully nurturing technology, talent, and tolerance? Are these business segments thriving in your community? Tolerance is the canary in the coalmine." Richard Florida http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html
Brad Feld and Jim Collins Discussion - Building Startup Communities to Last http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html --- 9 Out Of 10 Americans Are Completely Wrong About This Mind-Blowing Fact http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html
Montana Data Focused Business Cluster
Montana Economic Development Summit - 9-16/17, Butte, Montana
- MontanaSky Networks plans to build a $1.4 million regional data center at the former Vann's appliance building in Evergreen, Montana
The proposed regional data center would employ 16 full-time technicians, installers and customer specialists and would give new life to a sizable vacant building on U.S. 2 in Evergreen.
- Is your business safe from attack? - Defending yesterday: Key findings from The Global State of Information Security® Survey 2014
While organizations have made significant security improvements, they have not kept pace with today's determined adversaries.
TEDx Events in Montana
- Sandberg: Working women should 'lean in' to their ambitions
Even after writing a best-selling book that urges women to "lean in" to their careers, Facebook executive Sheryl Sandberg says she's still sometimes surprised to find she doesn't have the same confidence that men bring to leadership roles.
- A Gigabit Garden Begins to Grow
The purpose of this Gig.U Fall Update is to review the lessons from those pioneering communities that sought to be among the first with world-leading broadband networks.
- TEDxGreatFalls - Theme: Cascading Ideas, 12/7, Great Falls, Montana
This event is open to the public. Tickets are available.
Come Home Montana
- How We Shop: Internet of Things, Big Data, Social and Mobile Changes Everything
The Internet of Things is a hot topic again and it's opening up huge possibilities for retailers.
Developing a more Entrepreneurial Montana
- Montana Career Opportunity -- Economic Development Director - Beartooth RC&D Area, Inc.
The Economic Development Director will provide efficient, professional management and administration of a Board-directed economic development program for our five county region in south-central Montana.
- Montana Career Opportunity - IT Technician Tier I - Acadeus
This is an excellent opportunity with an industry leading entrepreneurial organization that has experienced significant growth and successful entry into other segments within the pharmaceutical business!
- Lifestyle publishing company for sale in Southwest Montana
This is the perfect business for a sales/marketing oriented entrepreneur.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Technical Writer - Arrow Solutions Group
All resumes must be received by Thursday, November 21, 2013 to be considered.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Software Developer - Land Systems - Plum Creek
Plum Creek's Land IT team provides application services to multiple units within the organization, including Business Development, Energy & Natural Resources (ENR), GIS Services and Real Estate.
Developing Funding Opportunities in Montana
- Rob Irizarry named director of Blackstone LaunchPad at Montana State University
"We are at a unique point in history where entrepreneurship has become a more accessible and viable career path than ever before," Irizarry said. "I'm thrilled to join the LaunchPad program.
- Brad Feld and Jim Collins Discussion - Building Startup Communities to Last
If you are interested in Startup Communities, or are a Jim Collins fan, I think you'll like this a lot. Enjoy!
- Business Texter Raises $250K+ For Intelligent Group Texting App Investment led by Frontier Angel Fund
Located in the Flathead Valley of western Montana the Frontier Angel Fund is a group of accredited angel investors who have pooled capital to invest in early stage companies in Montana and the inland Pacific Northwest.
- Prosperity Organic Foods Raises Seed Funding from Frontier Angels, Boise, and Sun Valley Angels
The round was led by angel investors from the Frontier Angel Fund, Boise Angel Alliance and the Sun Valley area.
- Acuity Design, LLC, - University of Montana MBA Alumnus Michael Manhardt Launches Successful Venture
SoBA alumnus Michael Manhardt has the unique ability to help people take "napkin sketches" and turn them into working prototypes.
- kudoso - Discover a fun and easy way to keep your kids safe on the internet.
Gain control of the websites and applications your children visit on the internet. Keep your kids productive by making them earn access to their favorite sites.
- Bozeman Housing Costs Now Over 13% Above the National Average While Groceries, Utilities and Transportation Remain a Bargain According to Third Quarter 2013 Cost of Living Data
Bozeman's composite cost of living score came in at 1.9 percent above the national average for the third quarter of 2013, according to the Cost of Living Index Report released by Prospera Business Network today.
- Legal Atlas - Solving an old problem: Mapping the law
Legal Atlas is a fusion of Wikipedia, Google Maps and tomes of law knowledge offered in a slick interface freely available through the internet.
- Portland's Testing a Greener Kind of Private-Public-Partnership (P3)
If it's successful, it could drastically change how environmental projects are funded by states and localities.
- The Best and Worst Run States in America: A Survey of All 50
While each state is different, the best-run states share certain characteristics, as do the worst run.
- A fresh start for Boise's Albertsons chain
The supermarket chain is smaller now but based once again in Boise, where the CEO says it's finding new life.
Regional Economic Development
- Portland 'economic checkup' reveals continued disconnect among jobs, pay and productivity
Portland's economic growth continues to beat out most cities -- thanks largely to Silicon Forest manufacturing -- but households are still earning less in the seven-county region.
University of Montana & Montana State University Tech Transfer
- Portland, Seattle go head-to-head in economic matchup (video)
The two Northwest cities may have a neighborly rivalry, but when it comes to economic activity, one has the upper hand.
- Technology, Talent, and Tolerance - Is your community maximizing its creativity for economic success?
The economic crisis that we're still living through is not simply a business cycle shift, but rather the biggest economic and social shift society has ever experienced.
- University Start-Ups: Critical for Improving Technology Transfer
Universities appear to recognize that their patent and commercialization projects must change and are moving to, what Valdivia terms, a "nurturing start-ups model."
21st Century Education Initiative - "You Should Care..."
- New courses stress competency to meet workforce needs
Competency-based education (CBE) can be valuable in ensuring community colleges provide the right kind of training to get people into the job market quickly with the skills employers need.
- Youth CareerConnect Grants - Building America's Next Generation Workforce
In partnership with the Department of Education, the Department of Labor will award 25-40 grants for individual or multistate projects using revenues from the H-1B visa program.
- This Awesome Ad, Set to the Beastie Boys, Is How to Get Girls to Become Engineers
This is a stupendously awesome commercial from a toy company called GoldieBlox, which has developed a set of interactive books and games to "disrupt the pink aisle and inspire the future generation of female engineers."
- Jobs for Montana Grads - Paris Gibson Alternative High School student with Asperger's earns way to conference
"It's probably the most powerful curriculum I've ever been a part of."
Montana Education Excellence
- After-school programs see opportunities with young Utah
Kids huddle at computers lining a wall covered in large decals of chess pieces, DNA and mathematical symbols, the game of Minecraft on their screens.
- State Performance Funding for Higher Education: Silver Bullet or Red Herring?
This policy brief summarizes the results of a recent analysis of state performance funding for higher education. Results suggest the policy has not been significantly effective for increasing associate or baccalaureate degree completions in performance funding states, and it may even have had negative effects in some states.
Montana Education/Business Partnerships
- Indian Buffet And Auction Fundraiser For UM Journalism Student Trip To India, 12/8, Missoula, Montana
This January, 27 students and faculty mostly from the University of Montana School of Journalism will embark on a research trip to India.
- Montana State University Business Students Lead the Efforts to Recycle Glass for New Building
Glass is one of a number of items that can't currently be recycled in Bozeman. Why not recycle glass and reuse it in the new Jabs Hall?
- MSU Alumni Association takes "Vim" membership campaign nationwide
The Montana State University Alumni Foundation's Vim Campaign seeks to grow the Alumni Association's membership to a 15,294 over this next year, equaling record student enrollment levels.
- Montana universities develop 'game-changing strategies' to boost enrollment
How the state implements its new program, known as Complete College Montana, could change the face of schools across the state and set the Montana University System on a new course.
- Montana State University Entrepreneurship Courses Seek Area Businesses and Non-Profits to Participate in Consulting Classes and a New Internship Program
During the four-month courses, students will help manage special consulting projects requested by area businesses and non-profit organizations.
- Business, industry must get more involved in tech ed
K-12 schools don't know about the employment opportunities in technical careers, so they don't allow students to explore those options.
Funding and Building your Business
- 9 Out Of 10 Americans Are Completely Wrong About This Mind-Blowing Fact
Prepare to have your mind blown at 1:05, 1:41, 2:24, 3:50, 4:50, 5:20, and 5:50.
- Missoula, Montana's Clark Fork River to get another river wave in 2015 - The Max Wave
"We're going to push forward and we're going to get it done. We're trying to restore the river to a more natural state."
Energy and Climate Change
- The Bank of Montana - The SBA Offers Sweeteners to Encourage More Small Loans
"It's awesome. For small business owners who are just getting started, this will be a significant savings. We'll be able to help them grow into significant employers in our area." Kimberly R. Shappee, Bank of Montana
- 10 Surprising Social Media Statistics That Will Make You Rethink Your Social Strategy
If you're managing social media for your business, it might be useful to know about some of the most surprising social media statistics this year. Here are 10 that might make you rethink the way you're approaching social media.
- Investors Do Not Fund Research And Development
Let's consider the six stages normally associated with R&D, and the boundaries and project-specific activities interwoven therein
- 4 Tips To Raising Seed Stage Capital For Your Startup
Before you ever consider talking to potential investors about seed capital, get out and meet with potential customers.
- The Right Way to Grant Equity to Your Employees
"The defining difference between Silicon Valley companies and almost every other industry in the U.S. is the virtually universal practice among tech companies of distributing meaningful equity (usually in the form of stock options) to ordinary employees.
- Who is this marketing for?
It's cheaper to answer these questions than it is to spend time and money on marketing, but, alas, it usually doesn't happen that way.
- These Leaked Videos Could Lead To A Huge Payday For Ousted Snapchat Co-Founder
Videos of depositions from the Snapchat lawsuit, obtained by Business Insider and included below, suggest that even the defendants in the Snapchat case believe their former frat brother may deserve "something" for his role in starting the company -- an assertion that the company has vehemently denied.
- Is Project Management Hindering Innovation?
Unfortunately, efficiency and predictability seem to be valued more highly than innovation these days.
- Stanford study could lead to paradigm shift in organic solar cell research
Organic solar cells have long been touted as lightweight, low-cost alternatives to rigid solar panels made of silicon.
Cool Stuff That's Coming
- San Francisco Entrepreneurship in Residence Finalists Announced
"We expect to drive tangible and measurable benefits - lower costs, increase revenue, enhance productivity and help save lives."
- 12 questions you were too embarrassed to ask about Bitcoin
That seems really weird! Why would anyone use a payment network based on an imaginary currency?
- Google's New Tools Show How Deep Glass Will Embed in Our Lives
With a few simple third-party apps, the company showed (probably better than ever before) just how Glass will evolve into something that's invisibly integrated into your day-to-day routine.
- White House Showcases Potential of Maker Movement to Boost Local Manufacturing
Cities across the country are moving to provide the cooperative workspace Makers need to develop, test, and scale their businesses.
- An Argument for Eliminating Traffic Lights
The key thing is that basically everyone drives slowly and steadily rather than in a stop-and-go manner.
- This stealth company nestled against (inside?) Google is building flying cars
Google is involved, but in what capacity is unclear.
- What will happen to truck drivers when self-driving vehicles take over?
Self-driving technology will almost certainly affect industry and commerce first.
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page