|MATR Newsletter - Fri Nov 1, 2013|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
MATR Web services provided by:
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
Quantity of business start-ups is not as important as their quality. A successful economy needs to foster "gazelles" which have a goal of growing at least 20% a year, don't harm the environment, hire a wide range of skills and earn a major portion of their revenue from out of the local area.
Montana Data Focused Business Cluster
Montana Department of Commerce
- Here's How Facebook Manages Big Data
"Facebook could not be Facebook without Big Data technologies." Facebook Inc. analytics chief Ken Rudin
Next Generation Broadband in Missoula
- Doug Mitchell named new deputy director of Montana Department of Commerce
"He has the strongest skill set to take us into the new future vision of the Department of Commerce," the director said. "He's been around state government quite a bit. He's been around Montana in the private and public sector. He has a wide network of contacts."
Visit Montana - Montana Dept. of Tourism
- Help Missoula develop a plan to ensure Next Generation Broadband infrastructure by filling out this business survey
Arrow Solutions Group
- Please provide your thoughts on Montana's statewide recreation plan
Commerce awards $500k to tourism improvement projects
Great Falls Development Authority
- Career Opportunities from Arrow Solutions Group
Arrow Solutions Group (ASG) is Montana's only specialized IT & engineering staffing and recruiting agency, connecting IT professionals and engineers with companies in Montana, Wyoming, North & South Dakota.
- The Great Falls Development Authority Index
Number of Irish cowboy pubs under construction downtown: 1
Come Home Montana
- Electronic Health Records at risk of becoming irrelevant
EHR vendors will have to find a way to modify their products to focus on data that the patient and his or her care team want, or they'll become obsolete.
- How data mining can boost your revenue by 300%
Computer algorithms can slice and dice everything from a customer's age and gender to credit scores and buying history. By carefully mining this information, analytics software can help identify patterns in customer behavior that can increase sales and reduce customer turnover.
- External Data Analysis Drives Insurance Company Success
Devoting resources to the infrastructure, manpower and tools required to expand their customer pro fi les is how the modern insurer can rise above the big data landslide, instead of buried underneath it.
- Facebook Exec Says Data Analysis Had 'Huge Impact' on Mobile Revenue
"Data analysis was at the core of the optimization of the mobile advertising algorithms. Data analysis had a huge impact on the development of mobile advertising," he said. "I am not sure we would have had the nerve to throw ads into the news feed without it."
- Enjoy analytics presentations from Groupon, eBay, NASA and Porter Novelli
How to bring transformational change to your bottom line with the use of analytics
- Are You Ready for a Chief Data Officer?
You must be ready for a journey that, sooner or later, will touch every department, job, and person.
Developing a more Entrepreneurial Montana
- Montana Career Opportunity - Regional Director - Northwest MT Small Business Development Center
The Regional Director reports directly to the Director of Continuing Education and is responsible for providing business and entrepreneurial counseling and training services to small business persons within Broadwater, Lewis and Clark, and Meagher counties. This position follows management and operational practices based on Montana SBDC Program Standards and Policies.
MEDA -Montana Economic Developers Association
- The Blackstone Charitable Foundation Names Pamela Haxby-Cote Regional Director of its Entrepreneurship Program "Blackstone LaunchPad" in Montana
"Our search for a Regional Director attracted many high-caliber candidates who were inspired by the chance to help make this program a success. We are thrilled that someone of Pam's caliber is willing to lend her extensive experience and knowledge to support entrepreneurship and job creation in Montana." Amy Stursberg, Executive Director of the Blackstone Charitable Foundation
- November MEDA Online News
Have a wonderful weekend - don't forget to turn your clocks back!
MSU Leadership Institute & UM Global Leadership Initiative
- Senator Tester: Implement JOBS Act, increase small businesses' access to capital
Small businesses across Montana supported the JOBS Act, which included Tester's Regulation A bill, including Microbion in Bozeman, Ticketprinting.com in Harlowton and Bozeman, Davidson Companies in Great Falls, and TerraEchos in Missoula
- Submittable is releasing its API this week. Works with both Submittable and Talentd.
If you're interested in trying it out, send an email to [email protected] with your org details. Thanks!
- Rocky Mountain Log Homes of Hamilton, Montana wins marketing award
RMLH was founded in 1974, and the company has made strides to contribute to environmental sustainability through recycling practices and state-of-the-art precision milling equipment.
The Missoula Economic Partnership
- Former NFL player Myran Rolle inspires student athletes at Montana State University Bozeman
Myron spoke to a large crowd at the Strand Union Building at Montana State Monday night as part of MSU's "Year of Engaged Leadership Project." Many Bobcat coaches and athletes were in attendance eager to hear the success story of a professional athlete, future neurosurgeon and Rhode scholar.
- Missoula Economic Partnership - Progress Report from the Board of Directors
Economic development is, by its nature, an incremental process. The key is sustained, professional and strategic effort on all fronts.
- Frontier Airlines won't bring service to Missoula in 2014
"But that doesn't mean we don't continue looking for other opportunities or other low-cost carriers." James Grunke, MEP's CEO and president.
- Great Appreciation for the Missoula Economic Partnership Investors
If you're interested in investing in the future of Missoula, please give us a call.
- 10 Words to Cut From Your Writing
As Mark Twain famously wrote, "I didn't have time to write a short letter, so I wrote a long one instead." His point? Strong writing is lean writing.
- 5 Characteristics of Great Mentors
There are many qualities needed to be a good mentor.
- Cybersecurity Industry Set to Grow Tenfold
In ten years, IT security will be a $600 billion global industry. The recent revelations from Edward Snowden will only accelerate cybersecurity industry expansion.
- Inspiration--Education--Execution-----Ruralistically Newsletter
"If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together."
- Local Governments' Enduring Reinvention Imperative
During the past two decades, local governments have become increasingly engaged in the process of reinvention.
- Billionaires attempt to remake Montana's pension system
Specifically, the groups aimed to replace Montana's defined benefit system--a crown jewel of the labor movement--with at least a partially privatized system, and eliminate guaranteed income for future public employees.
- Ideas for Coping with Brain Drain in the Public Sector
Facing a wave of retirements, governments are looking for new ways to build up the expertise and knowledge of people coming up in the organization.
- Here's the recipe that brought Clif Bar to Idaho
More than $800 million worth of capital investment has come to the Magic Valley in the past year, bringing more than 1,000 jobs - Chobani's yogurt plant, Glanbia's cheese innovation center, McCain Food's processing expansion, Frulact's fruit-processing plant and now Clif Bar.
- Wisconsin's hottest new businesses get a spotlight - Early Stage Symposium to be held in Madison
Next month's Wisconsin Early Stage Symposium is expected to attract investors from across Wisconsin, the Upper Midwest and beyond to see the latest and greatest from the state's start-up community.
Regional Economic Development
- Underemployment in America
Underemployment in the states is highest in some Western and Midwestern states.
21st Century Education Initiative - "You Should Care..."
- USDA Rural Development Accepting Applications!
This includes B&I Guarantees, Renewable Energy for America guaranteed loans and grants, Rural Business Enterprise Grants (RBEG), Intermediary Relending Program (IRP), Rural Microentrepreneur Assistance Program (RMAP) and Rural Economic Development Loan and Grant Program.
- New Report: Enterprising Cities - A Force for American Prosperity
Enterprise-friendly policies at the city level can indeed facilitate local economic growth by supporting entrepreneurs and mobilizing effective partnerships for improving the conditions for business and job growth.
- Senator Tester and Montana law enforcement leaders meet to discuss importance of early childhood education
"The key to a good economy is good education, making early education an investment in our future," said Tester, a former teacher.
- NBA Superstar Chris Bosh: Here's Why You Should Learn to Code
I think I'd like to teach young kids computer science and coding -- the younger the better.
- Encouraging first-generation college students
"It's all about creating a college-going culture in our communities."
Montana Education Excellence
- Massachusetts' Big Bet on Performance-Based College Funding
Here is a state that prides itself on its tech industry and top-notch universities, but it still isn't producing enough qualified graduates for the work that needs to be done.
Universities and Economic Development
- Montana State University brings four campuses together to push idea of 'one university'
The four campuses can learn better ways of doing things from what's already happening on each other's campuses. MSU President Waded Cruzado
- Yellowstone English/Environmental Studies Program International (YESPI)
YESPI offers specialized curriculums for international students to get into and then succeed at American high schools and universities.
- Mansfield Center at the University of Montana Offers Cambodia Program for Montana High School Teachers, Students
If you are a Montana high school teacher or student with interests in environmental issues or international affairs, you could be among 20 students and two teachers supported by the U.S. Department of State for an all-expenses-paid trip to Cambodia.
- Are you leveraging your colleges and universities: The engines of regional innovation?
We are sharing the latest insights into how colleges and universities drive regional innovation.
- Companies created from federally funded university research fuel american innovation, economic growth
Sequestration jeopardizes this source of progress, jobs and growth
Funding and Building your Business
- Take Action Today - Missoula's Community Climate Summit
Summit participants are letting us know of timely opportunities to voice our opinions. We pass on these two transportation actions, which were introduced at the Summit:
- One day in Missoula - A 24-hour glimpse of the Garden City
On Saturday, Oct. 5, we put out an open call to anyone and everyone, from iPhone shooters to seasoned professionals, to photograph a typical day in Missoula. We had no idea what to expect.
Energy and Climate Change
- Get Rid of Your Bad Hires Quickly With a 'No-fault Divorce' Process
Few organizations have a formal "early release process," like a no-fault divorce for identifying bad and frustrated hires and releasing them as soon as possible.
- Promote Your HR Leader, Reap Profits?
"We think what that says, based on this analysis and some other studies we've done, is that a chief human resources officer can drive an agenda within the executive board about aligning people to goals, and they can insure that performance appraisals are done."
- Having enthusiastic employees takes creativity
Take a close look at how you manage your company.
- Hiring in the Age of Big Data
"As human beings, we're actually pretty bad at evaluating other human beings."
- 7 inspiring TED talks every entrepreneur should watch
These seven talks explore some of the reasons why entrepreneurs are needed in society and why entrepreneurial thinking is necessary.
- Avoiding the Power Grid
A cheaper fuel cell could provide affordable power for microgrids.
- ARPA-E awards IIT-Argonne team $3.4 M for breakthrough battery technology
Argonne National Laboratory will develop a prototype for a rechargeable "nanoelectrofuel" flow battery that may extend the range of EVs to at least 500 miles and provide a straightforward and rapid method of refueling.
- TED Talk: Mariana Mazzucato: Government -- investor, risk-taker, innovator
Which actor in the economy is most responsible for making radical innovation happen? Mariana Mazzucato comes up with a surprising answer: the state.
- A Technology Grants Guide for Local Government
Today, more than two dozen federal agencies offer over 1,000 grant programs.
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page