|MATR Newsletter - Fri Oct 25, 2013|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
MATR Web services provided by:
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
Big Data is like teenage sex: everybody talks about it, nobody really knows how to do it, everyone thinks everyone else is doing it, so everyone claims they are doing it....
Invitation to join the Montana Data Cluster Discussion http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html
Montana Data Focused Business Cluster
Montana Department of Commerce
- Free Data User Workshops - The Census & Economic Information Center Montana DoC, 11/5-6, - Helena, Montana
The Census & Economic Information Center (CEIC) at the Montana Department of Commerce is hosting a Day & 1/2 FREE Data User's Conference.
- Invitation to join the Montana Data Cluster Discussion - Montana Jobs Summit
We'd like to ask you share your thoughts, challenges, questions and comments. This has to be an organic development that's focused on helping everyone succeed.
TEDx Events in Montana
- Bridger Bowl receives six-figure improvement grant from Montana Department of Commerce
"These projects benefit Montana residents by bolstering the local economy and adding to their community's quality of life." Department of Commerce Director Meg O'Leary
- TEDxBillings, 1/11/14, Billings, Montana - Speakers Invited to Apply
Billings-area residents who can make others think or laugh are invited to apply to speak at the city's first live TEDxBillings http://www.TEDxBillings.com talk on Jan. 11.
Come Home Montana
- Turn Gift Giving Into a Branding Opportunity
This holiday season enhance the gift giving experience by enclosing your gift card in a gift card holder.
Developing a more Entrepreneurial Montana
- Montana Career Opportunity - Communications and Outreach Manager - American Prairie Foundation
Support American Prairie Reserve's efforts to create a strong local, national and international brand by building and managing relationships with media outlets and securing coverage in top newspapers, magazines, television programs and online platforms.
- Montana Career Opportunities - Contributions Specialist, Corporate Associate - The Montana State University Alumni Foundation
The MSU Alumni Foundation is committed to enhancing the continuing excellence of Montana State University through the attraction of financial support and through the prudent stewardship of its resources and relations.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Development & Events Manager - Museum of the Rockies
The Development and Events Manager is primarily responsible for generating 45% or $500,000 of the total annual Development and Membership revenue goal for the Museum
- Montana State University Business School hosts Entrepreneur Day for Bozeman area high schoolers
Since opening his store in Helena, Rincon has been honored as a "Champion of Change" by the White House and as Montana's Young Entrepreneur of the Year by the US Small Business Adminstration. However, Rincon does not seem to be in it for the accolades, but instead because of his love for Montana. This sentiment is reflected by fourOsix's slogan, "Love where you live."
- Discussion With S&K Technologies CEO Thomas R. Acevedo, Esq., 11/5, Missoula, Montana
S&K Technologies Inc. http://www.sktcorp.com/ , was awarded a nearly $1 billion U.S. Air Force contract for S&K Aerospace in 2012.
- How To Build A Montana Brand - John McKee Of Headframe Spirits, 10/29, Missoula
Powered by word of mouth and social media, Headframe grew faster than its owners ever imagined.
- How Entrepreneurs Can Be Business Leaders And More
If the country is to recover financially and politically, new leaders will have to emerge to fill the leadership deficit - new leaders who understand that leadership is a privilege, not an entitlement.
Montana Economic Development
- BNSF opens economic development office in Billings to address Montana growth.- Currently hiring 250 workers in Montana
"It just makes a lot of sense for us, given the economic development here, to put someone on the ground," Cunningham said. "The closer you are to an economic-development project, the better the project goes."
- Kickstarter Campaign - Helix - A new twist on 3D printing by Acuity Design of Missoula, Montana
Meet (and please support) Helix. It's more than just another 3D printer. It's a precision additive fabrication machine for professionals.
- Montana businesses see the value of public lands
In a poll of 200 businesses in Montana, 89% said that national parks, forests and wildlife areas are an essential part of Montana's economy.
- ikuw Solutions relocates corporate headquarters to Missoula, MT
"We are excited to call Missoula home for ikuw and our family and we're looking forward to bringing our fresh and innovative approach to teaching software, technical and professional development topics to the Missoula business community", said Leeanne McManus, President of ikuw Solutions.
- Ideas bandied about for renewal efforts; Zip-lines in Uptown Butte?
"We're ripe with structures, we're just not ripe with industries."
- Forum Relates Region's Open Spaces to Economic Growth
It might seem like a long shot to stake the future of Montana's economy on its landscape and suite of alfresco activities, but business and community leaders are increasingly identifying the state's open spaces as its bread-and-butter enterprise, and the key for continued economic growth.
- Gallatin County sues Georgia-based cable company Bulldog Cable
Gallatin County has sued a Georgia-based cable company that left cable lines exposed "along roads, strung through trees, draped under bridges, snaked through culverts and crossing streams."
Incubators and R&D
- Boise State, University of Idaho enrollments drop
Both schools say they are working to increase their numbers.
North Dakota Business and Economic Development
- Research upgrade for University of Montana astronomy
"It's a real nice capability for this University. It's a real win for our students in the department and for students who take our non-major. It's a new research platform."
- Montana State University research on viruses in Yellowstone hot springs nets $2M grant
The team is investigating how viruses may influence the diversity and function of microbial communities and the ecosystems that support them
- Oil Boom Lays Waste to North Dakota's Air and Ground
Roughly 1,500 fires burn above western North Dakota because of the deliberate burning of natural gas by companies rushing to drill for oil without having sufficient pipelines to transport their production.
Regional Economic Development
- 'Urban Rez': The Indian Relocation Program Documentary
No single ethnic group in the United States is more identified with rural areas than Native Americans. Yet two out of every three American Indians live and work in urban areas.
- Battle for the Blackfeet An interview with Chief Earl Old Person
Old Person is waging a quiet battle to save the Blackfeet culture and its people.
- Selling the Good Life on the Great Plains
Small County in Kansas Touts Activities, Incentives to Lure Residents and Avoid Rural Woe of Population Decline
South Dakota Economic Development
- Three Economic Development Trends That Are Closer Than They Appear
"Economics: The science of explaining tomorrow why the predictions you made yesterday didn't come true today."
21st Century Education Initiative - "You Should Care..."
- Growing a Wine Destination in South Dakota
Over the past five years, the number of wineries in the state has increased from 15 to 25.
Montana Education Excellence
- Quality Preschool Is the 'Most Cost-Effective' Educational Intervention
High-quality preschool programs are "the most cost-effective educational interventions and are likely to be profitable investments for society as a whole."
Funding and Building your Business
- MSU instructor Hunter Lloyd sells computer science with robots and comedy
"I was a terrible student," Lloyd told the class. But now, "I get paid to play with toys all day."
- Internationally recognized stem cell scientist Dr. Renee Reijo Pera is new Montana State University Vice president for research, creativity, and technology transfer
"Dr. Reijo Pera is an inspirational and engaged leader. Her mission is to grow and strengthen all of MSU's research, and she has the world-class credentials to do it." MAU President Waded Cruzado
- Montana students rank higher than most countries in math and science
In the comparison, Montana students statistically rank higher than 43 other countries and school systems and the state ranks seventh among the United States.
- Accomplished teacher and researcher Karlene Hoo selected to lead Montana State University's graduate programs
"I am delighted to be a part of the MSU family, and I will work to continue to promote an intellectual environment that will attract and retain the most promising graduate students from across the country."
Energy and Climate Change
- How (and How Not) to Train New Staff on IT
Smart--and dumb--ways for businesses to bring new hires up to speed
- Work from home? New IRS rules may make it easier
Earlier this year, the Internal Revenue Service announced a new, simplified, optional method of claiming a home office deduction.
- Crowd funding will soon be available to startups
Critics warn that investment crowd funding is ripe for fraud.
- Bill Gates visit to Idaho National Laboratory validates innovation role for national laboratories
When addressing employees after his tour Gates said, "Getting to visit INL was really enlightening. It was amazing to see reactor fuel analysis and how it can be conducted safely in a hot cell environment."
- Coalition of States Seeks to Spur Use of Electric Cars
The goal is to achieve sales of at least 3.3 million vehicles that do not have any emissions by 2025.
- Tech figures out how to bypass the Affordable Care Act website bugs
"This little bug that the government doesn't really know about, it's preventing millions of people from being able to log in."
- Louisville, Ky., to Adopt 'Open by Default' Data Plan
"I think we want to get to a point where we have everything out there," Poynter said. "So having this policy in place we'll be working to get as much out there as possible so you don't have to ask anymore and put in an open records request. But that's going to take some time."
- Second Edition of Cycling the Great Divide Released
Guidebook for longest off-pavement bicycling route in the world re-released as popularity of bikepacking and dirt touring grows
- Healthcare in the U.S. - The situation could be worse...
China plans to beef up security in its hospitals to prevent the deaths of doctors and nurses in attacks by patients' relatives who become violent in their anger over the cost and quality of care.
- Awesome Video: How the Economic Machine Works
Many economic experts say he's succeeded, calling it a must-watch video.
- Computer-driven cars could significantly reduce deaths, study says
They don't drink and then climb behind the wheel. They don't do drugs, get distracted, fall asleep, run red lights or tailgate. And their reaction times are quicker.
- You Could Soon Be Riding Utah's Gloriously Wireless Electric Bus
The company is expecting more cities to take notice, especially since existing buses can be retrofitted with an electric drivetrain and induction charging.
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page