|MATR Newsletter - Fri Oct 4, 2013|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
MATR Web services provided by:
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
“You want to be extra rigorous about making the best possible thing you can. Find everything that’s wrong with it and fix it. Seek negative feedback, particularly from friends.” Elon Musk
Today at 10:30! - UM Entrepreneurship Club Presents: Jim Messina, 2013 UM Distinguished Alum And Campaign Manager For Obama 2012, 10/4 http://www.matr.net/ev ... =4751
Montana Department of Commerce
Montana Economic Development Summit - 9-16/17, Butte, Montana
- What's a 'good-paying job'? Montana bolstering new job wages with training grants
"The match needs to be there. Both the company and the state are investing in new Montana workers. That's a critical aspect of this program."
- Department of Commerce - Business Resources Survey
Please take a few minutes to help us provide better service to you!
Next Generation Broadband in Missoula
- Programming a Generation - By teaching its kids computer science, Montana can tap a reserve of unrealized potential
The starkness of that picture was the impetus behind Greg Gianforte's CodeMontana, a program that targets teenagers and encourages an incipient interest in computer science.
Visit Montana - Montana Dept. of Tourism
- Big broadband, partnerships help boost local economy in Missoula
Supporting the innovative technology economy will generate wealth that stays in Montana and benefits the people who live here by giving them the choice to stay and make a life in our great state.
Big Sky Commerce
- Montana Tourism & Recreation Strategic Plan 2013-2017
In the listings you have access to the high level goals and strategies the Montana Tourism & Recreation Partnership is using as a "road map" for their efforts to continue tourism and recreation's positive contributions to Montana's economy and community well-being.
- Sign Up Your Business, or Refer a Client to Big Sky Commerce Who Activates in October, and Help END POLIO NOW!
For each new and referred account to Big Sky Commerce in October, Big Sky Commerce will send $100 to Missoula Rotary's END POLIO NOW campaign.
Come Home Montana
- The next generation of the internet and how data will win
"Data is your product, it drives the interface," says Oringer. "The more information you have the better your business is and the more competitive advantage you have."
- Why Big Ag Likes Big Data
"A farmer should be able to grow on farmland square meter by square meter, for lots more yield, planting seeds at different rates for each meter," said Kerry Preete, Monsanto's executive vice president of strategy. "We're a data company at heart, breeding seeds and helping farmers optimize yields and manage risk."
- Montana Career Opportunities - Draftsman/Purchasing, Mechanical Engineer - Montana Hydraulics and Felco Industries.
Montana Hydraulics is a multifaceted manufacturing company offering machine shop services including cnc machining, fabrication, custom manufacturing and specialty equipment, as well as innovative, progressive solutions and services for the railroad industry including railroad ballast distribution systems, railcar maintenance and repair and MOW equipment replacement and repair.
- Montana Web Cams
There are 216 individual Montana/other cameras listed in this section.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Midwest Regional Director - The National Center for Appropriate Technology
Put your education and experience to work helping American farmers and ranchers.
Hellgate Venture Network
- Higher ed challenged to focus on economic development
A growing number of leaders in higher education might view a different Jeffersonian observation as more appropriate today: "Education is a highly legitimate claimant on public treasuries."
- Hellgate Venture Network - Brian Morgan, Adventure Life, 10/24, Missoula
We're really excited that Brian Morgan, founder of Adventure Life http://www.adventure-life.com/ , has agreed to be our next speaker and kindly offered to host our meeting at their new offices on Spruce Street.
- An Evening With Montana Gov. Bullock In San Francisco, 10/29
SAVE THE DATE "An Emerging Technology Event" an evening of Collaborative Thought, Leadership & Opportunities featuring Montana companies from the Technology and Bio/Life Sciences industries presented by Montana Governor Steve Bullock
MSU Leadership Institute & UM Global Leadership Initiative
- Nomad Global Communications Solutions of Columbia Falls, Montana secures 5-year, multi-million dollar government contract
Nomad designs, engineers and manufactures all of it's advanced trucks and mobile units, many with satellite capability in the Flathead. In addition to military and law enforcement, it's produced units for the energy, mining and medical industries.
- Bozeman, Montana technology company joins others with hopes to expand
"Studio AV is serving a particular market that has a lot of wealth."
- Big data, potential for big future
As we look at opportunities to stimulate sustainable economic growth in Missoula in coming years, we see significant potential in the realms of information technology, and particularly in the emerging field of big data analytics.
- St. Vincent Healthcare in Billings, Montana strives to become regional specialty center for children
"The goal with the Montana Pediatric Project is really statewide, not just regional coverage. And so we're expanding right now - Great Falls, Bozeman are some of the sites...but we're going to try to hit other major hub cities and towns across Montana and set up periodic care there," Dr. Thomas Flass, a pediatric gastrointestinal specialist at St. V's Fortin Pediatric Specialty Clinic, said.
- Montana tourism continues 'real growth'
Preliminary data indicate tourist numbers swelled 3 percent in 2012 with a 15 percent increase in what they spent, said Sarah Lawlor of the Montana Office of Tourism.
City Club Missoula
- NFL Player And Rhodes Scholar Myron Rolle To Speak At MSU On Oct. 28
Carmen McSpadden, director of the MSU Leadership Institute, said that rich with experience from his service and the field, Rolle’s talk will challenge the audience to mobilize their intrinsic passions.
- City Club Missoula Forum-Death And Dignity Featuring Eric Kress, M.D., 10/24, Missoula
Eric Kress, a Missoula physician for more than 25 years, will describe to attendees at the Oct. 14 City Club Missoula forum how he made his decision to provide terminally ill patients "death with dignity" and then went public with that decision.
- 6 goals for Grand Rapids' $225K economic gardening job
"Proactive engagement with these businesses is critical to ensuring the highest level of business survival possible."
21st Century Education Initiative - "You Should Care..."
- Grant will help expand industrial tech training at Bitterroot College
"There is an opportunity for this to be a real game changer for the Bitterroot College. The funding will get these programs off the ground."
Montana Education/Business Partnerships
- TED Video: Massimo Banzi: How Arduino is open-sourcing imagination
This is probably the Most Amazing 16 minute video on the power of Imagination, creativity & learning to code:
- The Reason I Jump: The Inner Voice of a Thirteen-Year-Old Boy with Autism
David Mitchell explains how he came to translate a book written by a 13-year-old autistic Japanese youth.
- Farmers Insurance program gives a shout-out to teachers
Thanks Campaign will award $25,000 in grants this fall
- RightNow Founder Greg Gianforte funds efforts to bring more computer science students to MSU
"We have an opportunity to have a very vibrant high-tech industry that creates good-paying jobs for our kids," Gianforte said. "But right now we just don't have enough students graduating with the computer science degrees to fill those jobs."
Funding and Building your Business
- How to make a city great
"How to make a city great" is a new report arguing that leaders who make important strides in improving their cities do three things really well:
Energy and Climate Change
- Entrepreneurs Must Measure ROI On Social Media
There are hundreds of consultants out there who will take your money for guidance in this area, but I recommend that you start with some free resources on the Internet, or one of the many recent books on this topic.
- Three Rules for Entrepreneurs
Venture capitalist John Lilly expresses three rules for entrepreneurs to consider
- How To Delegate More Effectively In Your Business
Only about one manager in ten really knows how to empower others.
Connectivity & Communications
- Electric pickup trucks going into production
A company that adds electric powertrains to pickup trucks, vans and other large vehicles says it is going into production next year with a $20 million contract.
- Report challenges policymakers: UM's Running: 'We still have time' on climate
"Humanity has to transition away from carbon fuels to non-carbon fuels between now and 2050 or else we take the substantial risk of a planet that really can't support life as we know it by the end of the century," Running said. "This is where Montana has this unique responsibility and opportunity to lead. We could be the state that really steps up and says, 'You know, we're done burning coal.'"
- AT&T Unveils Plan to Challenge Google's Super-Speed Internet
Google Fiber might be forcing incumbents to rethink their approach.
- Facebook Pushes Passwords One Step Closer to Death
"The more you can move people to authentication systems that are both secure and don't require them remembering crazy stuff, the more engagement you'll get from your user base."
Cool Stuff That's Coming
- Massive Data Report Sums Up Success of Bloomberg's Programs in New York City - How is your community doing?
The 284-page document includes data on all operations under the mayor's office, from public safety and economy to education and sanitation. Here are some highlights from the report, all based on fiscal year data.
- Drones Could Give Heart Patients Fast Access to Defibrillators in Remote Areas
In the future, aerial drones could be used to deliver defibrillators and other medical devices to patients in remote areas,according to Definetz, a German non-profit organization.
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page