|MATR Newsletter - Fri Aug 30, 2013
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
MATR Web services provided by:
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
In a completely rational society, the best of us would be teachers and the rest of us would have to settle for something less, because passing civilization along from one generation to the next ought to be the highest honor and the highest responsibility anyone could have. -Lee Iacocca, automobile executive (b. 1924)
Montana Technology Connection Series, 9/4, Bozeman, Montana http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html --- City Club Missoula Presents: Missoula's Mayoral Candidates, 9/9, Missoula, Montana http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html
Montana Economic Development Summit - 9-16/17, Butte, Montana
- Hewlett Packard CEO Meg Whitman to Join Montana Jobs Summit in Butte, Montana
Montana's senior U.S. Senator Max Baucus announced today Meg Whitman, CEO of one of the world's largest tech companies, HP, will be participating in next month's Montana Economic Development Summit.
2013 Montana Politics
- TEDxUMontana coming to Missoula Sept. 19
The program will feature nine speakers, two TED Talks videos and two performances with a 30-minute intermission for interaction and discussion.
Visit Montana - Montana Dept. of Tourism
- Facing down fiscal policy: Candidates for Missoula mayor discuss business
The candidates shared their thoughts recently with the Missoulian about the city's fiscal policy, how the mayor might help businesses thrive here and about the proper role of a mayor when it comes to economic development.
Big Sky Commerce
- Glacier Park winds down summer season, but fall is a beauty
Fall is a favorite time to visit Glacier for many Montanans, who will find fewer tourists and the beauty of the changing colors of the season - along with cooler temperatures, of course.
Great Falls Development Authority
- Thank you for helping with the 2013 Big Sky Commerce Charity Golf Classic August 20th!
We had a great time... for a great cause!
SRS Crisafulli, Inc.
- We Need Your Help And Insight To Market Great Falls, 9/5, Great Falls, Montana
If you market Great Falls to the outside world for any purpose -- to attract visitors, shoppers, homebuyers, tenants, new employees or new business investment -- join the founding meeting of the Great Falls Marketing Alliance
- SRS Crisafulli Labor Day Newsletter
Our long term Representative Agency, Northwestern Power Equipment, founded in 1939, and located in Roseville, Minnesotta, has assisted in fortifying the communities of Ada, Oslo, Granite Falls and Moorhead against future floods.
Come Home Montana
- 9 Data Sets Every Ecommerce Company Should Measure
Curious about which metrics really matter?
- Business Intelligence as Saas (Software as a Service)is growing in priority, while Big Data is decreasing in priority for companies.
Top technology priorities for 2013 include relative BI mainstays dashboards, end-user 'self-service' and data visualization.
- Big Data without good analytics can lead to bad decisions
If the data is incomplete, out of context or otherwise contaminated, it can lead to decisions that could undermine the competitiveness of an enterprise or damage the personal lives of individuals.
- Is the future of your company locked in information silos? - 100 questions
How many of these questions can you answer in 5 minutes without leaving your desk and without asking someone?
- Raising human ability is the expectation for everything digital
Digital technologies, such as mobility, analytics, big data and social are essentially human centered technologies. By that I mean that they can raise the individual and collective ability of human beings.
- Don't Silo Your Geeks
Data geeks actually happen to know a lot about your work, your issues, and how to effectively think through a problem. We've long treated data folks as simple number crunchers who know magic tricks that we leave alone to do their thing. That's a serious misunderstanding.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Marketplace Navigator Project Manager - Montana Primary Care Association
Responsibilities: coordinate information and training, advise on process implementation for a state-wide consortium of outreach and enrollment workers charged with educating consumers about the health insurance marketplace.
- 11 Simple Concepts to Become a Better Leader
All of the concepts are simple, and yet, perhaps in the name of revenues or the bottom line, we often lose sight of the simple things - things that not only make us human, but can actually help us become more successful.
Montana Economic Development
- An example of what it takes to get an Angel to commit: "FairEnds.com" Creating unique clothing that is "something for everyone"
FairEnds was born in 2011 out of simplicity, with no logos, no eccentricities and no preciousness.
- Kickstarter Campaign Gearing up - Bozeman resident harnesses the power of business community in effort to make snowboard binding system a reality
Bozeman resident Ryan Watson has created a new snowboard binding system with help from local manufacturers and is currently seeking funding to mass produce the bindings locally.
- Integra Expands Product Portfolio and Network Infrastructure in Montana Markets
"When we bought the Northern Hotel, our commitment was to restore this one-of-a-kind landmark to its historic place as the finest hotel in Montana, and we couldn't have done that without the business agility and level of service that partners like Integra bring to us every day."
- Taisei Installs Billings-manufactured Wind Turbine in Billings, Montana!
The combination of the wind turbine and the solar panel will produce enough electricity to power the school crossing lights without needing to be connected to the utility.
The Missoula Economic Partnership
- Please Take The Main Street Montana Project Survey If You Haven't Already - It's Your Future
Please take a few minutes to click on the link below to be a voice for your community in this process. We want to hear from you about what should be done for businesses and workers in Big Sky Country.
Come Home Idaho
- Missoula Economic Partnership - September and October Innovation Initiative Events
We're featuring new roundtable discussions on Intellectual Property Law, Kindle Publishing, and how to use Google analytics to measure online success.
City Club Missoula
- Idaho Career Opportunity - PROFESSIONAL I - GIS ANALYST - The Nez Perce Tribe
To assist the Nez Perce Tribe with management and analysis on all aspects of geospatial data for various research projects.
- City Club Missoula Presents: Missoula's Mayoral Candidates, 9/9, Missoula, Montana
In a different format from regular City Club forums, the candidates will each be allowed five minutes to make their presentations, followed by set questions from moderator Patrick Marx. The audience will then have the opportunity to ask their own questions of each candidate.
- Economic Gardening Goes State-wide in Colorado
The theory behind economic gardening is that instead of spending millions of dollars on incentives and tax breaks to attract a big manufacturer, helping small businesses to grow and prosper and add jobs might be the better path.
- Montana Governor Steve Bullock appoints 10 to gender pay panel
Bullock signed an order in June creating the Equal Pay for Equal Work Task Force to be headed by Labor Commissioner Pam Bucy and Department of Administration Director Sheila Hogan.
- Gov. Otter says Idaho economy is in great shape - wants to attract Wal-Mart suppliers
Otter said he wants to continue to be austere in operations of government, with public/private partnerships one way to avoid increasing government spending.
- New Zealand just abolished software patents. Here's why we should, too.
Patents on software don't work.
Regional Economic Development
- US Labor Department announces final rules to improve employment of veterans, people with disabilities
"Strengthening these regulations is an important step toward reducing barriers to real opportunities for veterans and individuals with disabilities," said Patricia A. Shiu, director of the department's Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs, which enforces both laws.
- Telehealth reaches the American frontier
"Tribal and remote populations get it right away," said Kahn, "but so do urban populations who would rather not spend hours for seven minutes of face-time with their physician. My passion is to provide a service that eliminates as many barriers of entry as possible into telehealth, with the goal (being) to increase all kinds of patient access to care."
- How To Grow A Venture Capital Ecosystem
What are the lessons for new regions trying to create their own venture capital?
- Only five people from west of the Mississippi River invited to the annual White House Economic Development Forum
"It was an opportunity for us to network with a number of states as well as federal agencies,"
21st Century Education Initiative - "You Should Care..."
- Rep. Daines, who started Right Now Technologies in Bozeman, focuses on Montana workforce development
Congressman Steve Daines said that when he started Right Now Technologies in Bozeman, having a skilled workforce trained at MSU was critical to his company's now 1,100-employee strong business.
Montana Education Excellence
- 7 Powerful STEM Resources For Girls
There's a pretty strong gender divide in the STEM subjects: Many fewer girls are interested in even studying these subjects, and they don't feel at all confident about their skills.
- The Risk Pool - Will you give your children permission to fail?
At the start of another school year, parents, remember: if we never give our children permission to get things wrong, they're unlikely to ever learn how to get things right.
- Arne Duncan Wants Special Education Students To Take General Exams
Should students with disabilities be held to the same academic standards as their peers? And should schools and teachers be held accountable for their progress?
- How to Make Online Courses Massively Personal
How thousands of online students can get the effect of one-on-one tutoring
Funding and Building your Business
- Montana Tech moving ahead with 1st PhD program
Tech will partner with Montana State University and the University of Montana to offer the Material Sciences doctorate.
- UM Professor Steve Running Appointed to NASA Advisory Council Committee
"My responsibilities as Earth science chair are twofold," he said. "First, I will lead our subcommittee in recommending priorities for new satellite missions, continuity of space-based Earth observations, Earth systems research, and information management of global datasets.
- Getting down to business at Montana State University
Did you know that the Montana State University College of Business is now the Jake Jabs College of Business & Entrepreneurship?
- Montana's two-year higher education institutions must have their own funding programs.
Funding for two-year higher education will never be adequate while it is monitored through the universities.
- University of Montana Weekly: News from UM Aug. 30, 2013
UM will host TEDxUMontana at 7 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 19, in the Masquer Theatre of the Performing Arts and Radio/TV Center. The program will feature nine speakers, two TED Talks videos and two performances with a 30-minute intermission for interaction and discussion.
- Governor Bullock focuses on improving education excellence in Montana's schools
Montana is one of a handful of states that does not provide funding for preschool education. "I know early learning matters, but Montana is invested the least in the nation," he said.
Energy and Climate Change
- 20 steps to take after a project falls apart
We had a project fail. Now what?
- Labor Department sets rules for hiring vets, disabled
Contractors would be required to set a goal of having 7 percent of their employees -- in each job category -- be people with disabilities.
- Kauffman Foundation Crowdfunding Videos Now Available: Indiegogo Cofounder Slava Rubin Tells Entrepreneurs 'How to Raise $1 Million in 30 Days or Less'
The founder of an international crowdfunding platform shares insights in a video
Making the Most of the American Prairie
- Novel nuclear reactors atop MIT energy contest finalists - Vote Today!
Nuclear fusion and "fast" reactors are currently the two top contenders in a competition run by MIT's Climate CoLab group, with fast reactors the leading vote-getter to date.
Connectivity & Communications
- News From Montana's American Prarie Reserve - and a Visitor Map!
I hope you will have the opportunity to find out what stories the prairie can tell you this year.
- U.S. Tightens Grip on Telecom
"Each agreement seems to become more restrictive as the government recognizes the benefits of access to networks and databases and as threats to national security increase."
- Let's dump WebEx and GoToMeeting for hosting web conferences
There are plenty of excellent, more modern alternatives. I've listed six here.
Cool Stuff That's Coming
- Analytics for Smarter Communities
In this time and in this place, analytics may be mankind's last hope.
- Establishing an Analytics Culture in Public Safety
The explosion of big data provides a vast new resource that can transform organizations, helping them build smarter systems that drive economic growth, sustainable development and societal progress.
- 5 reasons Wall Street should be bullish on 3D printing
Many have touted the future of 3D printing, including the President of the United States. Now it's Wall Street's turn.
- Drones turn the crowds into mountain rescue rangers
The project could result in quicker response times, increasing the chance of saving the lives of those who get into trouble.
- What happens when you mash up 3D printing and Amazon's same-day delivery?
They say waiting to get something is often more enjoyable than actually getting it. That's not how Jeff Bezos sees it.
- Roadside Systems Detect Wildlife to Prevent Collisions
In the five years before the first system was installed, that area saw 11 collisions, but in the four years since, only one collision has been reported.
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page