|MATR Newsletter - Fri Aug 23, 2013|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
MATR Web services provided by:
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." -Walt Disney
Public Invited To UM State Of The University Address, 8/23, Missoula, Montana http://www.matr.net/ev ... =4729 --- Hellgate Venture Network hosts Angel Investor Extraordinaire Bill Payne http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html --- Is Montana developing a Data business cluster? http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html
Montana Department of Commerce
Montana Economic Development Summit - 9-16/17, Butte, Montana
- Montana Department of Commerce Business Resources Division Newsletter SUMMER 2013
As summer is wrapping up and coming to a close, I would like to reflect on a few topics of interest in the Business Resources Division:
Arrow Solutions Group
- Sheryl Sandberg brings 'Lean In' message to California's women lawmakers
"How grateful I am for the women here who have run for office, who are serving ... because you inspire women all over the world and the state," Sandberg said. "They look at you and they know it's possible."
Come Home Montana
- TecNet Networking Event, 9/19, Billings, Montana
TecNet is a networking group for people who work in the technology field in the Billings, MT area.
Developing a more Entrepreneurial Montana
- Montana Career Opportunities - Vice President of Operations, Attorney, Medical Case Worker and more... - Montana State Fund
Working for MSF is a unique opportunity to partner with a successful team of professionals that work hard and enjoy living and playing in one of the most beautiful places in the country.
- Montana Career Opportunities - Account Manager, Audit Manager, Senior Accountant/Tax and many more... - Galusha, Higgins and Galusha PC
Since 1919, Galusha, Higgins and Galusha has been Montana's, and one of the Northwest's, premiere accounting firms.
- Montana Career Opportunities - Inbound Marketing Manager, Software Development Support Specialist, Customer Advocate - PrintingForLess.com
At PFL, we want our employees to make a good living and make living good.
- 36 Jobs On Montana Nonprofit Association Career Center - is one your new dream job?
The MNA Career Center is filled with excellent opportunities right now! Employers and job seekers alike will find terrific benefit by visiting and using the MNA Career Center.
Hellgate Venture Network
- Blackstone LaunchPad scheduled for 2013 opening in Montana State University's Strand Union Building
"The Blackstone LaunchPad is available to all students regardless of major, and the Union Market is an excellent place for all students to be exposed to the opportunities it offers."
MEDA -Montana Economic Developers Association
- Hellgate Venture Network hosts Angel Investor Extraordinaire Bill Payne
Come join the discussion next month. You won't be sorry and you'll get to drink some beer.
- Registration now Open: 2013 MEDA Fall Conference in Sidney, Montana - All are Invited to Participate!
Learn about a tool that executives, consultants, entrepreneurs and leaders of all organizations can utilize.
Montana Economic Development
- Talking Heads Riff on Thought Leadership - Muzeview Research
How do professional services firms, and law firms in particular, think about and approach thought leadership?
- Is Montana developing a Data business cluster?
Missoula is home to a vibrant group of industry experts building businesses and doing groundbreaking work in the high-tech sectors of big data and cybersecurity.
- Montana panel offers Baucus tax reform ideas
Baucus said he hopes the effort will result in the first major change to the tax code since 1986. He believes the code is disproportionately difficult on small businesses.
Incubators and R&D
- Boise-based Healthfundr launches equity-based crowdfunding for health startups
The site provides accredited investors with opportunities to invest in a selection of curated companies working on digital health, health IT, and diagnostic and medical devices.
- Boise companies, groups pledge $160,000 toward new East Coast air service
The Boise Airport is requesting $700,000 with a local match of more than 25 percent that it would use to improve air service from Boise to places east of the Mississippi by adding a connection to an East Coast hub.
- University of Montana Research Earns Army Grant to Develop Methamphetamine Delivery as a Treatment for Traumatic Brain Injuries
Researchers in Poulsen's lab have shown that low doses of methamphetamine given to rodents within 12 hours after a traumatic brain injury or stroke significantly reduce brain damage and impairment.
Regional Economic Development
- MI joins NY, TN in Taking a Regional Approach to Economic Development
The plan will divide the state into 10 zones with the intent of empowering local and regional partners to develop a consensus vision and implementation plan for economic success.
- Broadband's Economic Impact
This article explores the relationship between broadband and the rural economy.
21st Century Education Initiative - "You Should Care..."
- National Governors Association - A Better Bottom Line: Employing People with Disabilities
The initiative focused on the role that state government and business can play in improving employment outcomes and creating more employment opportunities for people with disabilities.
- U.S. Schools Need More STEM Training, Better Broadband
In a video address to participants in Maker Camp, an online summer camp for teenagers, Duncan hailed the virtual program, saying that "it shows the power of online learning."
- Obama Vows to Shame Colleges Into Keeping Costs Down
Colleges would be rated on measures such as affordability and outcomes, including graduation and transfer rates. Students at top-performing colleges could receive larger federal grants and more affordable student loans.
- Community colleges graduate to 4-year programs
Florida is one of 21 states across the USA where community colleges are expanding into the baccalaureate world.
- Nurturing a STEM Sisterhood
We, as adults, must now nurture that interest. Teachers are already heavily engaged in that goal, but STEM involvement doesn't end in the classroom, so the other members of the village must do their part as well.
- 15 Inspiring TED Talks for Freshman Year
The TED speaker series features "ideas worth spreading."
MAPS : Media Arts in the Public Schools
- The Best Freshman Convocation Speech Ever!
A Georgia Tech sophomore gave a rousing motivational speech that would make most coaches jealous.
Montana Education Excellence
- MAPS Enrollment Now Open for Ravalli County 8th to 12th Grade Students. Come Join the fun!
Along with our Film, Design and Music classes, this year we're introducing our newest course, CYBERSKILLS.
Universities and Economic Development
- Montana Tech, UMW chancellors issue caution on proposed education plan
The federal system charts graduation rates for a four-year school based on a six-year period. However, that method doesn't account for transfer students.
- Highlands College slates all-star speakers lineup. Attendance is open to students and community members
Guest speakers are coming to Highlands College-Montana Tech as part of a new course offered this fall that's open to students and community members.
- Universities Turn Focus on Entrepreneurship to Boost Regional Economies
A nationwide network of top business schools, including Babson College, Stanford University and the University of California, San Francisco, plans to launch an online entrepreneurship program that can be licensed to other schools.
Funding and Building your Business
- 50 'digital capitals' of America - Whitefish, Montana
The cities and towns in the United States that have done the most to leverage the web to grow businesses and the local economy.
Energy and Climate Change
- 10 Steps to a Memorable Website for Your Startup
Most startups I know experience the same shock of disappointment when they first open up their website to offer their "million dollar idea" product, and nobody comes
Connectivity & Communications
- A Nuclear Reactor Competitive with Natural Gas
A novel type of reactor could cut the cost of nuclear power by as much as 40 percent, making it far more competitive with fossil-fuel power plants.
- Why the U.S. Power Grid's Days Are Numbered
It's a model that hasn't changed much since Thomas Edison invented the light bulb. And it's doomed to obsolescence.
- Zuckerberg announces coalition to make Internet available for all
The group -- http://www.Internet.org -- intends to make the Internet an option for the 5 billion people who don't have it. Only about one-third of the world's population - 2.7 billion - has Internet access.
Cool Stuff That's Coming
- Hey Missoula Nonprofits -- here's an invitation to share what's happening in your world at the 2013 MNA Annual Conference and IGNITE MNA 2013!
We're looking for nonprofit leaders who want to share their stories at the MNA Conference in Missoula this year
- Countertop charges smartphones wirelessly
Homeowners installing the DuPont Corian countertop in their properties will be able to charge their phone by simply resting it on the surface.
- A thought-controlled wheelchair for quadriplegics
By using software to tie together a $300 neural headset with a $1,700 electric wheelchair, Interactive Dynamics founders Pablo Medina, Gastón Pereyra Puyó and Juan Pablo Manson have made it possible for people with neurological damage to control their own movements -- up to a point -- for a reasonable sum.
- And now, a 3D scanner
Rather than wrestle with tricky modeling software and take the risk of creating plastic spaghetti rather than a replica of the Statue of Liberty or whatever it is you're after, you can now just scan your object of desire and print it.
- Bike Lanes Lead to Higher Property Values
"When people realize the savings of not relying solely on a car, they're much more inclined to pay a little more now in exchange for saving a lot later."
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page