|MATR Newsletter - Fri Aug 9, 2013
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
MATR Web services provided by:
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
"If at first you don't succeed, try to hide your astonishment." -- Harry Banks, Scottish soldier
Please Take The Main Street Montana Project Survey http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html --- 1000 Montana Kids + Programming = Winning, 8/15. Bozeman, Montana http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html --- Montana Career Opportunity - Regional Director to manage the efforts of the Montana Blackstone LaunchPad http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html
Montana Department of Commerce
Montana Economic Development Summit - 9-16/17, Butte, Montana
- Montana Means Energy Newsletter Q2, 2013
Thanks for your interest in Montana energy development.
- Senator Baucus Announces Google Executive Eric Schmidt to Headline 2013 Montana Economic Summit
Baucus also announced today that winners of the University of Montana's business plan competition will have the opportunity to present their proposals to some of the most influential venture capitalists and business leaders in the region at the summit
- Google is coming to Montana
Eric Schmidt helped transform Google from a Silicon Valley startup to a global leader in technology, and now he's going to help you get your Montana business online.
Next Generation Broadband in Missoula
- TEDxUMontana - Meet Dale Sherrard
Today we begin introducing our TEDxUMontana speakers to you. First up is sound designer Dale Sherrard.
- TEDx is coming to UMontana - Meet Kimber McKay
Meet another of our TEDxUMontana speakers, cultural anthropologist Kimber McKay.
Big Sky Commerce
- Broadband Availability: Geography Matters
Adoption rates and how the technology is used greatly affect the potential for economic and societal gains.
- Magellan Advisors to study Missoula broadband infrastructure needs
"There's all kinds of evidence to support that when you have fiber to the premises, it's a job creator in your community," said Missoula City Councilwoman Caitlin Copple.
Great Falls Development Authority
- 3rd Annual Big Sky Commerce Charity Golf Classic, 8/20 , Missoula, Montana
Time to join the FUN!! The 3rd Annual Big Sky Commerce Charity Golf Classic benefiting Tamarack Grief Resource Center
- Thought Patterns For High Performance, 9/19-20, Great Falls MT
The premier retreat for those who want their business to function at higher levels.
- CEO: Workforce critical recruiting tool - Business-friendly climate is boon for Great Falls
“If you are hesitant about making an investment in Great Falls, we want to convince you that now is the time,” Doney said. “Interest rates are low. We already know that there will be exciting announcements during the next fiscal year, and we want you to be part of that.”
- Great Falls Development Authority - Top 12 News for 8-4-2013
Met with a national technology company considering a possible expansion in Great Falls.
- $275 million refinery expansion will add 30 jobs in Great Falls, Montana
This investment is a tremendous boost to the City's tax base, creates excellent high wage jobs, boosts our construction industry and creates new opportunities for further economic growth.
Come Home Montana
- 4 Biggest Big Data Myths
Big data will never eliminate uncertainty or answer all your questions. But treat it as a fad at your own peril.
Developing a more Entrepreneurial Montana
- Request for Proposals - Renewable Industry Initiative for the MSU-Northern Bio-Energy Center
This investment will build upon past efforts to further develop the Center's capabilities and will utilize those resources in a coordinated and structured system, enabling MSU-Northern Bio-Energy Center to enhance its existing research and development of bio- fuels and foster technology transfer of renewable energy and energy efficiency technologies into the private sector.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Community Development Professional - Montana Business Assistance Connection
Candidates must be self-starters with strong leadership skills and the ability to facilitate public outreach that impacts our local region.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Regional Director to manage the efforts of the Montana Blackstone LaunchPad
This position will be expected to develop and maintain relationships with high-level university personnel as well as recruiting and leading a network of venture coaches.
- Request for Proposal for Qualified Environmental Professional Services
The City of Shelby has been awarded a DNRC RPG grant in the amount of $24,916 on behalf of Sweetgrass Development Corporation for the completion of a site inventory throughout the five county region, including Cascade, Glacier, Pondera, Teton and Toole Counties.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Senior Web Developer - Plum Creek
Our IT Operations in Montana are located in a truly magical place where the highest structures are still trees and wildlife still outnumbers the residents.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Urban Forester - City of Missoula
Coordinate and direct the planning, development, administration and provision of urban forestry services, including tree and forest evaluation, disease prevention, shrub and ornamental vegetation control, tree maintenance and promotion of urban forestry information and ideas.
- 1000 Montana Kids + Programming = Winning, 8/15. Bozeman, Montana
This is a great opportunity for us to strengthen and support our community. Many people have asked me about this very topic. I hope you'll join us in sharing the amazing realm of geekdom that we all know and love.
Montana Economic Development
- Invizeon Corporation of Missoula, Montana Acquires Slipstream Resources, LLC and Seafaring Security Services, LLC
"Invizeon is the perfect fit for us. They have the depth, experience and ability to collaborate with and mentor our organizations as we grow."
Come Home Wyoming
- Please Take The Main Street Montana Project Survey
Please take a few minutes to click on the link below to be a voice for your community in this process. We want to hear from you about what should be done for businesses and workers in Big Sky Country.
- Economic Growth Tentative in the Flathead
"The Flathead economy has not yet returned to where it was in 2007."
- Tribal members explore opportunities of starting up a small business
The NADC is pushing for tribal members to create and develop small businesses. They see it as a strategy to defeat the impact budget cuts will have on Native American reservations.
- Butte Local Development Corp. director,Jim Smitham reports it helped retain, create 151 jobs
One big partnership was between the BLDC and Montana Aerospace Development Association to resume testing at the Butte AeroTec test site.
- NIH Launches $96M Initiative for Big Data Centers of Excellence
The centers will be used by researchers and students for training in data science and testing the use of large and complex datasets to create tools, methods, and software that can improve health care processes.
- Wyoming Career Opportunity - Executive Director - North East Wyoming Economic Development Coalition (NEWEDC)
Considerable experience in economic and community development, including administrative responsibility; graduation from a four-year college or university, preferably with specialization in economic and community development or a related field; or any equivalent combination or experience and training.
Government and University TechTransfer
- How Governments Are Innovating Their Workforces
Keeping workers engaged is one of the more important factors in uniting a workforce, but only half of survey participants reported satisfaction with their organization's employee engagement efforts.
- Universities Drive Innovation As Business Incubators
The private sector may help entrepreneurs launch businesses in myriad ways, but today the academic sector is where things are getting really interesting for startups, spinouts and spin-offs.
- The Office of Entrepreneurship and Technology Transfer
They plan to create "venture incubator" positions to support new business ventures, as well as roles that will oversee the creation of the office's long-term programs.
Incubators and R&D
- Your Own Private Idaho
The "Entering Stanley, Idaho" sign seemed more like a friendly warning than a welcome. "Population 63," it read, as if to say: Congratulations, you've made it to the middle of nowhere.
- MSU's Cruzado joins group of university presidents calling on Congress and Obama to close innovation deficit
MSU is an example of the important research that is generated at universities across the nation, as well as how those discoveries serve as important economic drivers, Cruzado said.
- Wallonia, Belgium, Success Driven by a Focus on Industry Cluster Excellence
The concept of company networks (clustering) has gained ground world-wide as a new modus operandi of the productive fabric and as a source of innovation.
- Startup Colorado Launches $200K Fund to Support Entrepreneurship Events
The organization will issue grants to Colorado organizations planning events, seminars and contests that bring together startup communities, particularly those in the Denver-Boulder region, Colorado Springs and Fort Collins
21st Century Education Initiative - "You Should Care..."
- CEO Takes Action On Manufacturing Skills Gap
Private German companies fund over 350 types of apprenticeships that secondary-school students can attend after regular school hours. By comparison, the rest of the European Union, which does not have well-established apprenticeships, has a youth unemployment rate of 23.2 percent. The United States hovers at 16.4 percent. Clearly, Germany is doing something right. Technical education matters.
- Employing the Disabled
The 54 million Americans who have disabilities can add an impressive reference to their resumes: the nation's governors.
- America Works - Education and Training for Tomorrow's Jobs
"Together, we can work to prepare our workforce for the 21st century, securing the economic future of all Americans." Mary Fallin National Governors Association Chair, 2013-2014
Montana Education Excellence
- Schools Turning Data into Achievement
Turning data into higher achievement involves changing the entire school culture--and technology that ties together the entire instructional cycle also can help.
- Innovations in Special Education
We've assembled this collection of resources to help you understand how innovations in special-education services are opening up new possibilities in blended-learning models.
- High Schools That Use Projects to Promote Deeper Learning
When relevance comes in the form of applied and work-based learning, improved engagement comes with the potential for career awareness and workplace skills.
- How Does Silicon Valley Teach Its Children? With A FabLab!
What educators call project-based learning has become a major movement. And now, one elementary school in Silicon Valley is taking this idea to an even higher level.
Universities and Economic Development
- MSU-Northern Reconsiders Secondary Education Decision
"These programs have historically been a very important part of Northern's tradition of excellence and the K-12 schools we serve," Chancellor Limbaugh stated. "I will be engaging in conversations with officials from schools and school districts across the Hi-line as well as with key staff in Montana's' Office of Public Instruction to see how best our secondary education programs can and will meet specific needs of teachers, administrators, and students being served by these important schools."
- University of Montana looks to expand research that benefits economic growth
"We're already a research institution," Whittenburg said. "But one of our goals is to increase the amount of research we do and try to become a top-tier, or Carnegie 'research very high' institution."
- Online MSU course helps participants build a digital website portfolio
By the end of the fall semester, each participant will have a customized website live on the Internet plus skills in software programs like WordPress and Photoshop.
- How do University programs foster economic development? Here are 20 great examples
Each year various UEDA member universities around the country submit nominations for their innovative programs involving economic prosperity.
Funding and Building your Business
- 'Prairie Home Companion' sought for Helena's 150th anniversary celebration next year
The possibility exists too of having a TED Conference held in Helena as part of the celebration. TED -- technology, entertainment and design -- talks began as an attempt to share what was happening in the world.
- What's the economic value of a tree?
With so many states and localities pruning money from parks and tree-planting programs to balance budgets, the free application from the U.S. Forest Service helps public officials put a monetary value on the benefits of growing them.
Energy and Climate Change
- Richard Branson on Preparing the Perfect Pitch
Why limit yourself or your imagination to elevators?
- Watch Out for These 5 Onboarding Red Flags
You've just locked down the perfect candidate. You sourced and screened him; your client interviewed and loved him; you extended him an offer and he accepted -- time to run a victory lap! Not so fast.
- Budding entrepreneurs: Find your 'big reasons'
"If it was easy owning a business, everyone would do it!"
- Some Tech Firms Ask: Who Needs Managers?
Among Smaller Companies, Disdain for Hierarchy Collides With Need for Oversight
- Recruiters analyze applicants' brain waves to find most passionate employee candidates
Passion can be important to many roles within the creative sector and beyond, but it can be difficult to quantify and the AdLove scheme aims to provide a way for employers to really get inside candidates' brains and find the most suitable applicant.
- Entrepreneurs' top 10 mistakes
If you're trying to build a business, there's no getting around making mistakes.
- 5 Startup Legal Shortcuts That Can Be Expensive
The biggest legal mistake that a startup can make is to assume that any legal problems can be resolved later.
- Eleven Financial Clues in Acquisition Targets
Evaluating potential acquisition targets involves a combination of qualitative and quantitative factors, including fundamental market analysis and company-specific execution history.
- 10 Principles for Startup Success Through Failure
When you are pushing the limits, nobody gets it right the first time, or even maybe the tenth time. That's why the term "pivot" was invented, so you don't have to call every change a failure.
- Mark your calendars for the 13th Annual Harvesting Clean Energy Conference!
The Call for Presentation/Papers is open.
Cool Stuff That's Coming
- Webinar: "The HotReport" How Well Is Your Community Performing On Transportation, Housing, Economic Development, And Income? 8/21
Who Should Attend Community leaders; state, local, and federal staff; academics; and others interested in performance indicators.
- Montana rolls out new website; governor issues video welcome
"The new website puts all state services just a few clicks away and makes sure the State of Montana is going to work for citizens."
- Flying Bikes
A bike that can fly
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page