|MATR Newsletter - Fri May 17, 2013|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
MATR Web services provided by:
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
"All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better." -Ralph Waldo Emerson
Montana CIO Ron Baldwin Advances Strategic IT Vision http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html
TedXUMontana and Ignite Missoula
Dorsey & Whitney LLP
- TEDxUMontana, 9/19, Missoula, Montana
If you've got what it takes to deliver a great TED talk, fill out our speaker application form. If you know someone who would be a great addition to the speaker lineup, please share this site with them.
GigaPOP in Missoula
- Dorsey Litigation Partner Steve Bell Joins Missoula Office
Jack Manning, Partner and Head of Dorsey's Missoula office said, "We are very pleased that Steve has joined us in the Missoula office. As a long-time partner at Dorsey with great knowledge and experience in Montana law, he has handled dozens of cases in Montana and will be a strong asset to our clients in need of litigation expertise."
Visit Montana - Montana Dept. of Tourism
- Bandwidth Muscle: The Machine For 21st Century Economic Growth!, 5/21, Kalispell, Montana
This collaboration also enhances the future prospects for beneficial economic development in the Flathead.
- Community Initiatives Helping Overcome Persistent Digital Divide
While corporate investment in national broadband infrastructure has increased the quality of service for affluent urban populations over the past decade, the expansion of service to disadvantaged communities has been left to the public sector. Local communities across the country are using new, innovative approaches to address the issue.
Arrow Solutions Group
- Montana Stagecoaches, Shoot-outs and Victorian Balls - Ghost Towns: Virginia and Nevada City
Head Back in Time
Great Falls Development Authority
- Attention Technology or Engineering professionals looking for work in Montana and North Dakota
Arrow Solutions Group (ASG) is Montana's only specialized IT & engineering staffing and recruiting agency, connecting IT professionals and engineers with companies in Montana, Wyoming, North & South Dakota.
Come Home Montana
- The Value of Big Data/Business Intelligence Isn't the Data
What you want and what you need is to turn that data into a story.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Web Developer/Systems Analyst - Adventure Cycling Association
Adventure Cycling Association http://www.adventurecycling.org seeks a detail-oriented Web Developer/Systems Analyst to develop, administer and support the organization's outward-facing web sites and IT infrastructure.
- JTech Launches New Website for Leadership Montana
Leadership Montana is a collaboration between government and business leaders with the best and brightest of the education world and broader Montana community.
- Connect with those you lead
If you always see the other person as a bother, and never stop to connect, that may be a clue you are caught in a counter-productive mode. Call it "duty-bound."
- How to keep control of a roomful of leaders
Leading has its challenges, but when your followers are powerful leaders you need to step up your game. Here are six helpful tips.
Montana Economic Development
- Kalispell, Montana's StoneRiver's National Flood Services to Acquire CSC's Flood Insurance BPO Unit
The combined company, which will operate as National Flood Services, will have over 700 employees dedicated to serving the outsourcing needs of its commercial insurance and government clients.
- Senator Tester's Tourism Workshop this Friday - 5/17
Senator Jon Tester's latest Small Business Opportunity Workshop focused on travel and tourism industry growth is happening this Friday, May 17, in Bozeman at 9 a.m. There is still time to register.
- Clocking in... with Carl Strong, Bozeman, Montana bicycle manufacturer - Strong Frames
"It ultimately was a lifestyle choice," Strong said. "We've never been motivated by making a ton of money, getting rich. We just want to live a comfortable life and do something that we really enjoy and feel good about."
- Are you taking care of your future body? Momentum Athletic Training
The trainers are tough and expect toughness in return.
- Great Falls video-game developers Add-A-Tudez Entertainment Co. making progress on 'Burst'
Last year, Add-A-Tudez Entertainment secured a licensing deal with Sony to design games exclusively with their company.
- Agriculture leaders wanted for new Montana leadership program
Montana State University Extension is looking for candidates with agriculture or natural resource backgrounds for an intense, two-year program intended to develop long-term leadership skills.
- Successful Lives Vs. Successful Careers: A Rock Climber's Advice
Life is a lot like rock climbing.
- Is The 70-Hour Work Week Worth The Sacrifice?
"Over-working is a very important and pervasive problem."
- What People Really Want Out of Life: Excitement
Everyday I want to be challenged. I want to be pushed out of my comfort zone. I want to see new places and try new things. I want to be in a creative environment. I want new experiences. And I want the positive energy of ambitious young people around me.
Incubators and R&D
- The Care and Feeding of Small Business
Economic gardening tends to focus on companies that are well established but ready to move into a growth phase.
- 2013 National Economic Gardening Conference - Nurturing Entrepreneurs, Growing Economies
Come join the conversation about one of the hottest topics in economic development. 28 states and cities are running high fidelity projects and getting consistently good results.
North Dakota Business and Economic Development
- OHSU researchers' new cloning technique could help patients with Parkinson's, diabetes, multiple sclerosis
A team led by Shoukhrat Mitalopov has successfully replaced the nucleus of a human egg cell with that of a skin cell.
- Private Sector Partnerships Emphasized in North Dakota's Centers of Excellence Successor Program
A new program that builds upon the successes of North Dakota's Centers of Excellence and Research Excellence programs will fund up to half of the cost of R&D and commercialization projects conducted by the state's research universities.
Regional Economic Development
- 2013 Best and Worst States for Business
States More Aggressive in Competing With One Another
- Development Done Well Is a Community Affair
"We just call it crowdsourced development."
- Crowdfunded Development Gets Boost from New Securities Laws
"That seemingly simple idea [crowdfunding development] is actually a radical departure from conventional practice, and requires some financial and regulatory gymnastics."
- Regions Target Education Partnerships to Develop Next Generation Workforce
Across the country, regions are using new, innovative approaches to develop their local workforce while also educating students to compete in a 21st century global economy.
21st Century Education Initiative - "You Should Care..."
- California fire fighting air tanker operator relocates to Casper, Wyoming
The move will make Casper a permanent hub for the company's national firefighting efforts.
- What if Finland's great teachers taught in U.S. schools?
Education policies in Finland concentrate more on school effectiveness than on teacher effectiveness. This indicates that what schools are expected to do is an effort of everyone in a school, working together, rather than teachers working individually.
MAPS : Media Arts in the Public Schools
- University launches $1.5M venture fund to encourage innovation, collaboration
"The goal of this new venture capital fund from the CSU System is to incubate and nurture ideas, programs and innovations that will make us better and help build a more durable and entrepreneurial university system that will continue to serve Colorado now and in the future."
Missoula Schools Excellence
- The MAPS Media Institute Student Film Festival, 5/18, Hamilton, Montana
The film festival is free and open to the public and was created to showcase the work of talented youth from the Bitterroot Valley.
Montana Education Excellence
- 180 Hellgate High seniors present projects to faculty, community
Diverse as the students themselves, the projects ranged from building a video game to chainsaw art to volunteering in an Indian orphanage to gluten-free cooking.
Funding and Building your Business
- THE MONTANAN - The Magazine of The University of Montana
UM is famous for the quality of wirter sproduced by the Creative Writing Program, but not many of them go on to run nationally recognized tech companies based in Missoula, Montana. Michael Fitzgerald and Submittable.com has set the bar high.
- 12 Characteristics Of Wildly Successful Startups
Before you begin the daunting task of launching your own business, take the time to determine if you have the natural ability, interest and drive to become a winning entrepreneur.
- The Most Admired Entrepreneurs are Servant Leaders
What is servant leadership?
- For Entrepreneurs, Conversations Are All Business
The top twelve types of conversations that relate to working together in business and tips on how to make each of them more effective for all concerned.
- 10 Entrepreneur Risks Worth Taking in Every Startup
For true entrepreneurs, risk is viewed as a positive, with its implied challenge to overcome the unknown and hitting the big return.
Cool Stuff That's Coming
- Montana CIO Ron Baldwin Advances Strategic IT Vision
As state CIO, Baldwin has a more global set of priorities, aligned with Gov. Bullock's vision for a more effective government. IT, Baldwin explained, will play a key role in carrying out that vision by helping make government seamless for citizens.
- New App Lets You Be More Choosy By Scanning Your Shopping Cart
How Billionaire Brands Control Your Life
- Lake Oswego company releases first professional microscope for iPhones and iPads
While a handful of companies make microscope attachments for mobile devices, Bodelin's has more zoom power -- up to 80-power magnification -- and is equipped with a ring of 12 LED lights to illuminate an object.
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page