|MATR Newsletter - Fri May 10, 2013|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
MATR Web services provided by:
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
Mothers hold their children's hands for a short while, but their hearts forever. Anon
Montana Department of Commerce
GigaPOP in Missoula
- Made in Montana Trade Show Dates and Location for 2014
The Department of Commerce uses this show as a training opportunity to help small food and gift businesses enter and succeed in the wholesale marketplace.
- Montana Department of Commerce Releases County Population Projections Through 2060
"These population projections are invaluable to our communities for the purpose of planning and developing policies as well as understanding regional growth," said Meg O'Leary, Director of the Montana Department of Commerce. "Through this information, policymakers and planners will gain a better understanding of Montana's regional growth and needs far into the future."
- Missoula Receives Extreme Broadband Feasibility Study Grant: Input Needed
Council members need to hear from you about why your business needs extreme broadband.
- Green Practices For Motor Management with Northwestern Energy, 05/13-17, Multiple Communities Throughout Montana
Commercial Customers, facilities managers, electricians learn how to estimate operating costs for electric motor systems and to identify improvement in motors management practice to increase system reliability and reduce operating costs.
Visit Montana - Montana Dept. of Tourism
- The Choice is Clear - Clear Business Cards from PrintingForLess
When you're ready to make a splash, clear plastic cards are the answer.
Great Falls Development Authority
- Montana tourism takes over an L station in Chicago
For the month of May, the entire Clark/Lake "L" station -- the station I ride through twice a day -- has become an ad for Montana.
- Centene makes $125,000 donation to a new Great Falls Development Authority loan fund to help entrepreneurs launch new businesses.
"The employees at our Great Falls office have been sensational, and city and GFDA officials have been great to work with."
- An online sales tax would kill small businesses jobs
Harlowton, Montana (population 984), is home to TicketPrinting.com http://www.TicketPrinting.com, where we create tens of thousands of tickets a day for hundreds of customers across America.
Come Home Montana
- Data + Business Intelligence Analytics = Empowered Business Users and An Agile Organization
BI requirements include less reliance on project planning and the traditional software development life cycle (SDLC) and more emphasis on reacting to the constant change of business requirements.
- Montana Career Opportunity - DBE Specialist (Disadvantaged Business Enterprise) - The Montana Department of Transportation
- Huey Lewis at Home on the Ranch in Montana
I'm grateful for the things I see and hear every day out here. This morning a pair of sandhill cranes woke me up with their weird call. We've had a herd of elk visit now and then. It's spiritual for me. I feel smaller in Montana, but I also feel like I'm a part of something special.
Montana Economic Development
- U.S. Travel Association chief to keynote Tester's tourism workshop in Bozeman
"Roger's 40 years of experience in the travel and tourism industry and his knowledge of international visitors will benefit everyone who comes to hear him speak."
- Sonju Industrial Gets Permit for Major Expansion
Sonju Industrial is a firearms and aerospace component manufacturing company.
- Economic development advice in three words
Creativity comes from constraints.
- Exciting progress at One Montana!
One Montana values working together. We believe our state is stronger and more effective when we focus on the 80% we can agree on, rather than the 20% we don't. If you believe it's time to unite rural and urban communities for positive change, please invest in our work.
City Club Missoula
- Three Simple Steps to Reinventing Your Career
Step one requires that you develop thick skin.
Developing an Angel Network in Montana
- City Club Missoula Presents: Montana's Energy Future Featuring Northwestern Energy's Bob Rowe & John Hines, 5/13, Missoula, Montana
Bob Rowe, CEO, and John Hines, Vice President-Supply, will lead a discussion about Montana's energy future.
- 2012 Halo Report: Angel Group Activity Year in Review
"The steady valuation, growth in investment size, and wide geographic activity among angel investors is more evidence that angels are a reliable and a critical part of growing the next generation of great new companies in this country."
- What is "Entrepreneurial Government."
The quickest way to reinvent governments is through technology. It is the least resisted way, and it is among the fastest ways to break down patterns of doing things because people accept it. Technology is the fastest way for me to achieve my objective, which is helping governments get better. So we have tried to embrace it.
- Senator Baucus Launches Website to Give Working Families, Small Businesses a Voice in Tax Reform Debate
"Our tax code hasn't been updated in 30 years, and it's full of dead wood and red tape that hurts working families and small businesses and slows down our economy. Tax reform is about making the tax code simpler and fairer. It's time to cut out loopholes and bring tax rates down," Baucus said.
- New report, same old low-pay in Idaho story
Idaho still trails other states in wages and there's no sign of improvement.
- Bicycling contributes $400 million to Oregon tourism, new survey says
Cycling's not just hip and healthy; it's becoming big business in Oregon, a new study shows.
Regional Economic Development
- Hospitals lose $8.3 billion using old technology
U.S. physicians and hospitals are in the digital dark ages when it comes to using the latest mobile devices and Internet services to deliver patient care.
- Why do some hospitals charge 20 or even 40 times more than others? - Does the Industry Need to be Regulated?
"It doesn't make sense."
Utah Economic Development
- "Managing for Excellence- Outcome Based Performance for the Economic Development Organization" by Dr. David R. Kolzow
This material is written as a "how-to" manual for developing an excellent and more professional organization.
- Win National Recognition for Your Efforts to Improve the Economy
Apply now for the 2013 Excellence in TBED awards by sending us a narrative that describes how your efforts are improving local, state or regional economies.
- Obama Administration Launches Competition for Three New Manufacturing Innovation Institutes
The Department of Defense will lead two of the new Institutes, focused on "Digital Manufacturing and Design Innovation" and "Lightweight and Modern Metals Manufacturing", and the Department of Energy will be leading one new institute on "Next Generation Power Electronics Manufacturing".
- Great examples of Technology-Based Economic Development (TBED) Programs - Do you have one?
Past judges of the Excellence in TBED award program have told us they want to read a clear, concise and compelling story about how tech-based initiatives are improving local, state and regional economies.
21st Century Education Initiative - "You Should Care..."
- Tech firm to bring more than 1,000 jobs to Utah
A Texas company is expanding its operations to Utah and bringing with it more than 1,000 jobs over the next two decades.
- Tackling the IT skills gap starts in elementary school
Promoting IT as a career path to primary and secondary school students would, industry experts claim, help close the IT skills gap.
- TED Talk - Bill Gates: Teachers need real feedback
Bill Gates suggests that even great teachers can get better with smart feedback -- and lays out a program from his foundation to bring it to every classroom.
- Plan aims to determine students' socioeconomic status
"It would allow us to understand a lot better which students are doing well and which students aren't doing so well," said Sean Reardon of the Stanford Graduate School of Education. "It would allow us to target resources better."
- Companies Finance University Efforts to Improve Science Education
Under the program, known as "Graduate 10K+," the selected public and private institutions will spend the next five years testing various strategies to raise graduation rates in the sciences.
Montana Education Excellence
- U.S. colleges using financial aid to lure rich students while shortchanging poor, report finds
U.S. colleges such as Boston University are using financial aid to lure rich students while shortchanging the poor, forcing those most in need to take on heavy debt, a report found.
- Montana high schools ranked in top tier on national lists - Stevensville High School and Bozeman High School
The list ranks schools by an "index score," made up of different factors- like the number of college-level tests a school gives, divided by the number of students who graduate.
- "Mountains & Minds" - The Montana State University Magazine
"I invite you to explore these Web pages to learn more about Montana State University, and to join me in working together to further its mission. Together, we will continue to transform our state, nation and world." Waded Cruzado President
- MSU professors see research ranking as top priority
Of the 26 ideas voted on informally, maintaining MSU's research reputation won by far the most votes. No. 2 was improving salaries. How can we maintain research status if we can't pay good faculty, one professor asked.
- Update from University of Montana President Engstrom on U.S. Department of Justice Investigations
I am pleased to see the end of this period of investigation and collaboration with the DOJ, and I look forward to working on the solutions UM already has implemented and on additional actions that we need to take.
Funding and Building your Business
- Angel Group Syndication of Series A Rounds
Can we devise a syndication model which would enable US angel groups to syndicate Series A rounds between $1.5 million and $5 million, or even higher?
Energy and Climate Change
- What is Your Entrepreneurial Leadership Potential?
For new entrepreneurs, leadership development efforts may be more valuable for achieving startup success than business skills development.
- 6 Strategies to Rally Your Troops
A winning business plan is nothing if employees aren't behind it. Here's how to get them on board.
- The Pitch Deck We Used To Raise $500,000 For Our Startup
One of the most important elements, that we had to learn during our fundraising process was the concept of "Ratio thinking".
Parts per million. The expected proportion of the atmosphere that carbon dioxide is expected to break this month. Our atmosphere has not seen such levels in 3 million years.
- New White House Open Data Policy
President Obama issued an executive order on open data, and the directive outlines support for making government data "open and accessible by default."
Cool Stuff That's Coming
- UM Philanthropy Class Grants $10,000 to Local Nonprofits
The class focused on awarding the grants to nonprofits that operate within Missoula County and address the needs of the elderly, homeless and hungry.
- Tesla talking to Google about driverless electric cars
If the two were ever to collaborate, it could give Tesla a key technical advantage over other luxury car makers beyond its unique electric powerplant, which gives its the longest range of any electric cars. It is EPA rated at 265 miles a charge.
- Why Brain-Controlled Gadgets Will Blow Your Mind
Although it's still in the early phases, Brain-Computer Interface (BCI) technologies are gaining traction in the consumer-electronics space.
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page