|MATR Newsletter - Fri Feb 1, 2013|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
MATR Web services provided by:
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
"Hacking shows what useful tools people can build when the government (a) opens up its data and (b) gets the hell out of the way." http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html --- Montana Governor Steve Bullock Unveils transparency.mt.gov, State Checkbook Online for First Time Ever http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html --- Roundtable Discussion - Big Data / Business Intelligence Isn't Just For Fortune 100 Companies Anymore, 2/13, Missoula, Montana http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html
Montana Department of Commerce
2013 Montana Legislature
- Few Booths Left for 2013 Made in Montana Marketplace
"The Marketplace is a high priority trade show for many Montana producers. We see a good mix of exhibitors because the exposure is so valuable. It's a venue that is completely and authentically Montana which is a proven marketing tool and it's very accessible to local producers," Meg O'Leary, Director of the Montana Department of Commerce
- Montana Governor Steve Bullock - "State of the State" address outlines signature proposals, urges 'brighter future' for kids
"If we accept that this is more about (our children's) generation than ours, we will enter this building every day committed to creating even greater opportunities than we had," Bullock said. "Join me in focusing on creating jobs, investing in our education and making government more effective."
Visit Montana - Montana Dept. of Tourism
- Sticky Business at PrintingForLess.com
Watch this quick video to see "sticky business" in action or read about one of our customers who recently used a tipped on plastic card for their project.
Blackfoot Telecommunications Group
- Whitefish, Montana to be Featured in Upcoming Episode of ABC's Hit Romance Reality Series The Bachelor
"Building relationships in the TV and film industry by hosting the Los Angeles-based producers and 110-person crew offered the opportunity to showcase Montana's spectacular setting, in addition to the partners' ability to service large projects and productions," said Montana Office of Tourism Administrator, Jeri Duran.
- FairPoint Closes on Sale of its Idaho Operations to Blackfoot Telecommunications Group
FairPoint's Idaho properties served more than 5,000 residential and business customers in eastern Idaho.
Come Home Montana
- Big Data Analytics Dive Deep
The use cases are limited only by the imagination.
- Roundtable Discussion - Big Data / Business Intelligence Isn't Just For Fortune 100 Companies Anymore, 2/13, Missoula, Montana
Every company, government entity and nonprofit has tons of data that it has never been able to fully analyze and use to improve operations and strategy.
- Navigating an ocean of Big Data
Traditional spreadsheets can't do real time analysis. Nor can custom-built reports that connect to a legacy enterprise database. Old-school static legacy analytics tools can only provide so much insight at a time. They can't iterate results fast enough in situations where data flows in like a firehose.
Hellgate Venture Network
- Montana Career Opportunities - Multiple IT Positions - Zoot Enterprises
Be a Zooter. Work at Zoot.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Enterprise Applications Team Leader - Montana State Fund
The true measure of who we are at Montana State Fund goes beyond our financial responsibilities. We are Montanans, and we recognize how fortunate we are to call this place our home. Our greatest satisfaction comes from the knowledge that by working together we have been able to make a difference to the people that we serve.
- Montana Career Opportunities - Many Opportunities - Assura Technology Group
We're looking for creative, energetic and generally brilliant people to join our team in Missoula, MT.
- Montana Career Opportunities - Programming, Marketing, Finance, Accounting, Blogging - USound
Usound is a fast pace start-up environment.
- Hellgate Venture Network - Next Guest Speaker - Michael Fitzgerald, Submittable, 2/21, Missoula, Montana
Join the discussion and enjoy the network!
Montana Economic Development
- News from the Montana Small Business Development Centers
"Our SBDC Directors and Business Advisors assist clients every day with the preparation or fine-tuning of business plans, financial management, operations assistance, loan applications and marketing initiatives. The SBDCs are dedicated to helping small businesses throughout Montana achieve their dreams of growth, expansion, innovation and success. The SBDC Network combines the resources of federal, state and local organizations with that of the educational system and private sector to meet the specialized and complex needs of the small business community....
Startup Weekend Missoula
- Montana Association of Community Development Extension Professionals: Feb. 2013 E-Newsletter
The Montana State University Local Government Center is pleased to announce release of the latest issue of the Montana Policy Review titled "Community Responses to Energy Development." The upcoming webinar schedule will be announced soon; previous issues and archived webinars are also available.
The Missoula Economic Partnership
- The Startups Weekend Phenomenon and Angel Investors
I'm posting this here for two audiences: angel investors and founders (including would-be and wanna-be founders) of startups.
- Website key to attracting employers to Missoula
For companies considering a relocation or expansion, the new site features a wealth of detailed factual information to help build a case for Missoula and ease the process of making a move to our community.
- TEDx Brené Brown: The power of vulnerability
Brené Brown studies human connection -- our ability to empathize, belong, love.
North Dakota Business and Economic Development
- Montana Tax News You Can Use
Greetings from Revenue Director Mike Kadas On January 7, I began serving the people of Montana as Director of the Department of Revenue. I'm honored and humbled to work in this capacity for the great state of Montana.
University of Montana & Montana State University Tech Transfer
- North Dakota Went Boom
For many years North Dakota has been a frontier -- not the classic 19th-century kind based on American avarice and the lure of opportunity in unsettled lands, but the kind that comes afterward, when a place has been stripped bare or just forgotten because it was a hard garden that no one wanted too much to begin with, and now it has reverted to the wilderness that widens around dying towns.
21st Century Education Initiative - "You Should Care..."
- Building an Effective University Commercialization Organization
Universities are one of the few organizations out there who have deep pockets but are not profit driven, are not held to a firm bottom line, nor made accountable for return on investment (how many "former VCs" do you bump into these days at conferences?). Warts and all, as startups must compete with other startups in a big patent arms race, universities continue to foot the bill to pay patent costs for startups that will likely never be able to pay them back.
- Data helps teachers learn about kindergartners' abilities
"I think what's exciting about this data is that we have it at all. We have not had a common data set for kindergartners, ever." Kathe Taylor, director of early learning assessment for the Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction.
- Bill Gates: Invest in better teaching
This year, my letter focuses on how important it is to set clear goals and measure progress in order to accomplish the foundation's priorities, both here at home and around the world.
Montana Education Excellence
- Eight Brilliant Minds on the Future of Online Education
While at Davos, I was fortunate to attend an amazing panel -- my favorite of the conference -- with a murderer's row of speakers.
- Student Crowdsourcing on Campus
The concept of higher education has little meaning if ideas aren't constantly bubbling up on campus to change what people think or do.
- Education Standards Spur States to Create and Share Web-Based Curriculum and Portals
Teachers can use the M.O.R.E. portal to find content that they can use in their classrooms "because of the alignment piece that has been made to many of the resources.
- Portland Community College teams up with Genentech, Welch Allyn and bioscience companies to train future workers
Local representatives of the booming bioscience industry have worked in conjunction with PCC's Bioscience Technology Program since 2007 to develop classes tailored to training their ideal workforces.
- University of Montana Alum Tim O'Leary and Michelle Cardinal Commit $1.25M to University
"My experience at UM was the springboard into my professional career, which has been so gratifying," said O'Leary, who now serves as the CEO of the R2C Group. "It was a pretty unique opportunity to combine real work experience and the freedom to roam the campus and pick and chose my courses."
- Montana State University program named one of the 10 best college environmental programs in the U.S
"Montana State's Sustainable Food and Bioenergy Systems program brings together coursework in plant sciences, agriculture, food and nutrition, animal science environmental engineering, and ecology, which makes it truly unique."
- The United States Naval Academy Summer Seminar for Montana High School Students
The Academy is a $400,000 education at one of the top engineering schools in the country.
Funding and Building your Business
- Brennan's Wave Teams with Big Sky Brewing Company to Raise Money for Repairs
"Brennan's wave has become a big part of the Missoula community and now we need Missoula's support to make sure its repaired for the upcoming summer."
Energy and Climate Change
- How to fight "creativity bias" in the hiring process.
Creativity is associated with nonconformity, unorthodoxy, and unconventionality.
- Use Twitter to build stronger bonds with your customers and learn more about what they're thinking
More commonly, companies simply schedule regular tweets each day. They don't bother to respond to customers' tweets or watch what's being said about them on Twitter. This is a huge customer service mistake.
- What is the Primary Reason For Startup Failure?
"Your startup can't fail if you don't quit."
- How HR can help Sales & Marketing
HR and Sales leaders who need better collaboration must read this post.
- How does your organization stack up to Silicon Valley's most important document ever?
The actual company values, as opposed to the nice-sounding values, are shown by who gets rewarded, promoted, or let go. Actual company values are the behaviors and skills that are valued in fellow employees.
- How to avoid creative dead ends
In today's working world, more and more people whose livelihood depends on being creative and innovative continually are working for themselves.
- HATCH 2012 Winner Distil.it Receives $1.8M in Seed Financing - Register now for next pitch competition
Thanks to the pitch event, we were able to meet our current lead investor and raise our next round of funding."
Connectivity & Communications
- How Much Will Tar Sands Oil Add to Global Warming?
To constrain climate change, such unconventional oil use needs to be stopped, according to scientists
- Feds: Warming imperils wolverines
In recent years, Montana wildlife officials have waged court battles against environmentalists who want to stop trapping. If Friday's proposal goes through following a public comment period, wolverine trapping would be banned.
- FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski called for all 50 states to be outfitted with at least one gigabit-speed community by 2015
Genachowski also announced the FCC's plan to provide a clearinghouse for best practices on speeding gigabit deployment.
Cool Stuff That's Coming
- Montana Governor Steve Bullock Unveils transparency.mt.gov, State Checkbook Online for First Time Ever
"Montana taxpayers want to make sure we're spending their money wisely and I'll insist that the state never spends more than it takes in," Bullock said in announcing http://www.transparency.mt.gov.
- Why Hacking Is Good for Democracy By Gavin Newsom - Lieutenant Governor of the State of California
Hacking shows what useful tools people can build when the government (a) opens up its data and (b) gets the hell out of the way.
- Will the Chief Innovation Officer Transform Government?
"...look at your own government data. That is a treasure trove if you let private entrepreneurs at it. They can create apps for you. That is an economic opportunity we need to take." Berliner said it will require a change in culture in terms of how the county does business internally."
- The Maker Community - Affordable Injection Molding Transforms Tinkerers Into Tycoons
Protomold http://www.protomold.com/ is helping tinkerers become tycoons by making mass-production injection molding technology accessible for easily customized short-run batches -- and their recent expansion of materials lets designers produce almost anything they need.
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page