|MATR Newsletter - Fri Dec 7, 2012|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
MATR Web services provided by:
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" By: Frederick Douglass
City Club Missoula Presents: A University For The Global Century Featuring UM President Royce Engstrom, 12/10 http://www.matr.net/ev ... =4397 --- Hellgate Venture Network Holiday Party, 12/13, Missoula, Montana http://www.matr.net/ev ... =4388 --- Honor thy contracts... Missoula's Edulog awarded $28M judgment from school bus firm http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html
Montana Department of Commerce
- Montana Wind Farm Locations and Capacity
Montana's first commercial scale wind farms were installed in 2005, the same year the Montana Renewable Power Production and Rural Economic Development Act established a renewable portfolio standard for the state.
- Discover YOUR Reason to Sing:
Our customer, the YellowJackets, a college a cappella singing group, is making a difference in our world, one child at a time.
Highway 12 Ventures
- States Must Focus on People to Change the Data Culture in Education
Looking ahead, states' work entails continuing to support systems and policies to promote effective data use while expanding their focus to include the people side of the data equation.
- Big Data, EHR Driving Healthcare IT Innovation
Deploying electronic health records remains a top short-term priority for healthcare organizations in the United States, but it's the promise of robust analysis of the data within EHR systems -- not to mention BI, ERP and financial apps -- that's motivating longer-term investments, according to Gartner.
- Changing the game with predictive analytics - CRM Systems Aren't Built for a Big Data World
A recent study by CSO Insights found that only 44 percent of sales executives believe that their CRM system is helping them find internal information (what it was designed for). Nearly 80 percent find it ineffective at helping them find external company information.
- Technology will replace 80% of what doctors do
Healthcare should become more about data-driven deduction and less about trial-and-error.
Come Home Montana
- Highway 12 Ventures - Portfolio News | November 2012
"Just Do It": Ideas are worthless unless you execute them, startup founder says.
- Sphero's Robots Impress In NYC Christmas Video
Highway 12-funded Orbotix has just posted an impressive, choreographed video of dozens of the robotic devices in New York swarming to the Trans-Siberian Orchestra's "Christmas Eve / Sarajevo".
- Montana Career Opportunity - Tourism Business Improvement District Representative - Bozeman
Candidate must have strong problem solving skills and the ability to work with multiple people and groups to determine the most appropriate destination sales and marketing efforts.
- State tries to lure best, brightest back
"It's just about trying to attract those highly talented individuals back to the state. Many times these individuals leave but they still have families back here."
- Montana Career Opportunity - Director of Development and Alumni Relations - UM Foundation
The director will be an integral part of a development team that is currently raising $20-30 million annually in support of the University, and will provide leadership and strategic direction for fundraising in support of College priorities.
- Montana Career Opportunities - Talented Creative & Technical people wanted! - Assura
We offer mobile and web apps designed to improve the delivery of healthcare services and improve the overall wellness of individuals by using mobile technology to engage their entire network of care.
- Spokane's 'North Pole' flight for poor kids attracting attention from other cities
"We'd be happy to help in other cities."
- Leadership - Turn off your computer and go talk to someone
Tell me about your approach to leadership.
Montana Economic Development
- ikuw Solutions is coming to Missoula!
ikuw Solutions (pronounced "IQ") provides customized, instructor-led training and technology consulting services.
- Missoula's Edulog awarded $28M judgment from school bus firm
Twenty years ago, a Missoula company started by a University of Montana professor signed up the country's largest school bus firm to use its software that helps school districts plan and run their bus routes.
- Energy storage firm, Zinc Air, expands work force in Columbia Falls, Montana
"A lot of these folks are MSU graduates who have had to leave the state for employment and are now finding jobs back here in Montana."
- Kalispell gun maker, NEMO targets big revenues
"We currently have made presentations to the FBI and to special forces, so we are waiting on orders from them," he said. "Three special forces groups have tested our new long-distance rifle [OMEN]. They like it better than anything else they've seen."
- Columbia Falls, Montana - A 'Magnet' for Development
The presence of Glacier National Park and Whitefish Mountain Resort clearly helps attract tourism-related businesses, but the real estate availability is significantly helping draw outside interest from technical and manufacturing companies.
Come Home Wyoming
- 6 Simple Rituals To Reach Your Potential Every Day
Move and sweat daily.
- What Do You Want To Be When You Grow Up?
The jobs of tomorrow have yet to be invented.
Regional Economic Development
- Wyoming Career Opportunity - Executive Director - Powell Economic Partnership, Inc.
The Executive Director is responsible for consistent analysis of current capabilities and opportunities in the Powell Valley, driving an environment for attracting new business and industry, and developing a system for ensuring existing business growth.
University Business Plan Competitions
- Asset-Based Economic Development and Building Sustainable Rural Communities
Showcases how a number of small communities are tackling sustainability and smart growth through asset based economic development.
- Are Municipal Branding Campaigns Worth the Price?
"A brand is what they say about you when you're not around."
- How the Midwest Is Becoming an Entrepreneurial Hotspot
"Many years ago, you couldn't launch a startup in some areas, and now you can," he said. "Costs are down, and the ability to get talent is up." Steve Case
- Michael Shuman on-going local: creating self-reliant communities in the global age
Michael H. Shuman argues that there are a number of initiatives communities must take to support local economies and small business - and that the knock-on effects of local investment are vast: building strong communities and fostering employment, food and industry growth and security.
University of Montana & Montana State University Tech Transfer
- The Dorm Room Fund lets students follow entrepreneurial dreams
"We have an advantage as students, because we know our peers and we live with them and around them."
21st Century Education Initiative - "You Should Care..."
- Improving University Technology Transfer and Commercialization
In this new paper, Darrell West examines that low ROI and argues that part of the problem is that the focus on patents, licenses, and startups places too much emphasis on outputs as opposed to outcomes.
Montana Education Excellence
- Technology Innovation in Education - The 2012 Yearbook
With limited funding and an ever-evolving technology landscape, educational institutions will need to continue to be innovative and efficient with the resources they have available.
Universities and Economic Development
- Glacier Academy of Languages - Foreign Language School Opening in Whitefish, Montana Academy's founders are seeking public input
"The response has been great," she said. "People come up and tell us, 'You fill a void."
- Graduation Matters Missoula receives $5K grant from state
The funding is part of $50,000 in grants from the Graduation Matters Montana-Student Assistance Foundation College Readiness Fund, which is being doled out in 10 communities across the state, including Missoula.
- Montana Tech nears Materials Science Ph.D. program - Collaborative effort proposed with UM, Montana State
Materials science is an interdisciplinary field applying the properties of matter to various areas of science and engineering. This scientific field investigates the relationship between the structure of materials at atomic or molecular scales and their macroscopic properties.
Funding and Building your Business
- $20M seed fund and $50M national venture fund to be launched by U of M
Historically, the university has been a risk-averse institution, Kaler said, preferring to curl up into a ball like a bug in summer time.
Connectivity & Communications
- EquityNet Introduces Free Crowdfunding Valuation Calculator for Startups
"Business startups are surrounded by myths and half-truths, so our Startup Risk Calculator and our Startup Valuation Calculator are great tools that help entrepreneurs understand their risk and estimated valuation so they can pay attention to the factors that make the most difference,"
- Now Hiring? Tips for Conducting Interviews
It's not always a candidate's fault when a job interview goes south.
- Build Social Media Into the Customer Experience
Social media is here, and is the preferred mode of communication by a large segment of your customers, so make it a positive differentiator for your business.
- Entrepreneurs do better with college - studies
"The data show that the average startup founded by a college graduate has 25 percent greater sales than the average startup founded by a high school dropout, and the average startup founded by a person with a graduate degree has 40 percent greater sales than the average startup founded by a college graduate."
- Workforce Planning: The Promise of Integration
"The talent decisions we make based on the guidance and recommendations from workforce planning will help the organization build the workforce it needs to remain competitive and ensure the company has the capability to execute on its strategy," LeBrun said of Toyota.
- Optimizing your Hotel's Digital Marketing Efforts for Global Guests
To prepare hotels for future digital marketing demands and global expansion, hotel marketers should build a solid global strategy for digital marketing with the right plan, resources and tools that provide a consistent multi-channel and multilingual experience for hotel guests.
- Want to Improve Your Online Visibility?
One of the most popular features that SweetIQ offers its business clients is social monitoring.
- Senator Tester demands better rural call reliability
Senator Jon Tester is demanding that the government's top communications watchdog address an issue plaguing rural America: the inability to complete a simple phone call.
- Data Analytics Go Public in Boston
"If you don't measure the things that you do in the city well -- or badly -- you can't do anything about it."
Cool Stuff That's Coming
- Missoula-based Washington Foundation makes $160K in holiday donations throughout Montana
The recipients are spread across the state, Halligan said Tuesday, on Indian reservations and other communities small and large.
- "I'm not a magician, I'm just an old country doctor." - Dr. McCoy - Medical Tricorder Will Measure Your Vital Signs In Seconds
It lets the consumer explore all the diagnostic possibilities of an emergency room.
- Retinal Implants Will Soon Fit Inside the Eye and Offer 20/20 Vision
A coming generation of devices promise clear, high-quality vision for the blind.
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page