|MATR Newsletter - Thu Nov 22, 2012|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
MATR Web services provided by:
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
"Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans." -John Lennon
The University of Montana has hired Scott Whittenburg as new Research Vice President http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html
Visit Montana - Montana Dept. of Tourism
- EXPLORE: Polebridge Mercantile next to Glacier National Park
The Mercantile was built in 1914 and is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. It remains a classic piece of Montana history and, combined with the scenic drive along the North Fork Flathead River and the edge of Glacier Park, it's a destination worth seeking.
- November Montana Tourism Update
2013 Montana Tourism Conference - March 24-26 in Helena
Blackfoot Telecommunications Group
- Corporations (and elected officials) Want Obama's Winning Formula
An even more significant achievement was the collation of vast amounts of data used to motivate voters.
- Why CIOs May Morph Into the Chief Digital Officer
Every budget is becoming an IT budget, and the Chief Digital Officer is becoming a logical addition to business leadership.
- Storytelling with Big Data: Thoughts on VISUALIZED
The emphasis is now on the injection of humanity into the numbers in a more sophisticated and meaningful way. One thing is for sure, there are a lot of inspiring data visualizers in the world doing just that, in very memorable ways.
- Webinar: Change The Way You Consume And Act On Data, 12/3
Join us for the launch of our latest release, Yellowfin 6.2, and discover 'Storyboard' -- a revolutionary new approach to Business Intelligence (BI) and business communication.
- The CMO Guide to Building a Data-Driven Marketing Team
By now, every CMO understands the need to build a data-driven marketing team. But how do you do it?
Highway 12 Ventures
- Blackfoot Donates $6,000 to Area Food Banks
At Blackfoot, we have a tradition of giving back to the communities where we live and work.
- Mark Solon, formerly with Highway 12 Ventures, joins the TechStars Family
Today, I couldn't be happier to announce that Mark Solon has joined TechStars officially as a general partner and will focus on capital formation for TechStars broadly.
Come Home Montana
- Vision Net and the Great Falls Symphony Team up to Broadcast Youth Matinee to Students in Rural Areas.
Vision Net CEO Rob Ferris says the partnership with the Symphony is a natural extension of the company's existing K-12 and Higher Education outreach efforts.
- Great Falls Symphony performs for students across Montana thanks to Vision Net's Videoconferencing technology
Bruce Wallace of Vision Net said, "It's fun because it's local people performing and this way students who otherwise wouldn't have the opportunity get to be involved."
Hellgate Venture Network
- Montana Career Opportunities - Senior Developer - Enterprise Portals, Developer - SQL Server, Infrastructure Analyst - Voice Communications - Plum Creek
To be effective, you must be interested in leading the construction phase of the software development lifecycle, including the specific development activities and collaboration between internal and external resources.
- Hellgate Venture Network Holiday Party, 12/13, Missoula, Montana
Our next meeting will be Holiday drinks to celebrate a successful year for HVN and its members and to think about the opportunities that lie ahead in 2013!
Montana Economic Development
- Avail-TVN Ranks Sixth Overall and First among Media and Entertainment Companies on Deloitte's Technology Fast 500™
"Today, Avail-TVN's reach extends to 28 countries and more than 75 million households globally, making us the largest provider of advanced digital video services worldwide."
- Reorganized New West bounces back
Last year, New West was the second-largest private insurer in Montana, with about 40,000 customers.
- Interest high for jobs with trailer manufacturer in Bonner, Montana
The Job Service won't accept applications for other jobs until specific listings for the 60 positions ALCOM expects to fill are ready, Director Wolf Ametsbichler said. He projected postings will start showing up in mid- to late-December and will be available at http://www.employmissoula.com.
The Missoula Economic Partnership
- Bitter Root RC&D hired to develop economic roadmap
The move by the commission follows a September decision to sever ties with a Missoula-based economic development district following a dispute over how federal planning funds were being used.
- Missoula County Site Locator Tool
This one tool provides the data and insight you need to make sound decisions when choosing a zone, neighborhood and property for your business.
Business Plan Forums
- Best new jobs in America
Tech firms like LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter are at the heart of the big data movement.
- Two Ann Arbor companies take home prizes at Accelerate Michigan competition
The competition features companies making business pitches to panels of judges, most of whom work for venture capital funds, who award cash prizes to the top companies in eight sectors as well as a top student company.
- Reddit users' input requested on domain seizure bill
Rep. Zoe Lofgren, D-San Jose, is working on a new bill that covers situations where the government would seize a Web domain when there is a case of copyright infringement.
- Montana Revenue Department Analysis Shows Downside of Corporate Tax Reduction Legislation
A new report by the Montana Department of Revenue estimates that Montanans and Main Street businesses would pay tens of millions of dollars a year more in property taxes if a handful of out-of-state corporations succeed in reducing their corporate property taxes.
Incubators and R&D
- Feds step into middle of another Idaho power fight
Federal regulators are stepping into the middle of another Idaho energy fight, this time taking the state to court to force it to approve contracts requiring Idaho Power Co. to buy electricity from a small wind project.
North Dakota Business and Economic Development
- Telluride, Colorado launches accelerator to push entrepreneurs higher
The nonprofit accelerator wants to develop new businesses with a focus on outdoor recreation, tourism, natural products, health, energy, water and education.
21st Century Education Initiative - "You Should Care..."
- The November Issue of North Dakota Business Magazine
They're Good Challenges to Have: Meeting the Needs of North Dakota's Economic and Population Boom
- What Health Care Managers Need to Know--and How to Teach Them
"This is not a field for mile-wide, inch-deep managers"
Montana Education Excellence
- University of Washington iSchool 2015 Overview
The iSchool's 2012-2015 plan, "iSchool 2015", focuses on investments in specific areas of strategic visibility, together with targeted growth and partnership development initiatives. The plan emphasizes the iSchool's role in preparing the leaders and innovators of the 21st century global information economy and our commitment to making the world a better place.
- The University of Montana has hired Scott Whittenburg as new Research Vice President
"We are delighted to have Dr. Whittenburg join us at UM," President Royce Engstrom said. "Research is a central aspect of UM's mission, contributing to fundamental knowledge, improved quality of life and economic development. Scott understands all of those areas, bringing to the position tremendous productivity as a researcher, himself, and as an experienced administrator in a research-intensive environment. UM is definitely on the move as a research institution, and Scott will accelerate that trajectory."
- High School Freshman Enrolled In Big Sky High School's Health Science AcademyTo Visit University of Montana Health Facilities
The mission of the Big Sky High School Health Science Academy is to provide students with an intellectually challenging and relevant education in a small, supportive environment.
Funding and Building your Business
Making the Most of the American Prairie
- Women Entrepreneurs Surge But Fight Their Demons
Women entrepreneurs are starting small businesses at approximately twice the national average for all startups.
- 8 Pragmatics to Avoid Common Entrepreneur Pitfalls
Behind most great startup success stories is a long list of mistakes!
Connectivity & Communications
- Restoring More than Animals - Returning Fire to American Prairie Reserve
Even after a year of planning, the day of the fire was more solemn and serious than celebratory.
- Local Governments Pursue Independent Broadband Despite Challenges
While broadband access has become an essential tool for most municipalities to attract new business and thrive, financial issues, legislative concerns and private sector competition are the kinds of hurdles local governments need to address to create a publicly-owned broadband network.
The Creative and Cultural Economy
- Bill Gives Feds Warrantless Email Surveillance
A Senate proposal originally drafted to protect American's email privacy has taken a dramatic detour. In fact, it's turning around and heading in the opposite direction.
- New SNAP program software under fire
While the Montana program is new, it didn't take long to find problems the same computer program caused in at least one other state.
Cool Stuff That's Coming
- Missoula, Montana's Linsey Corbin Claims Ironman Arizona Crown - YEA!!!
With just a few miles left, Corbin captured and passed Kessler, and with a day-best 3:05:54 marathon, moved forward toward the win.
- Speech Translation Technology Demonstrates Potential for Universal Language
Microsoft has unveiled a technology that has the potential to break centuries of language barriers.
- Algorithm lets thoughts control the cursor
"These findings could lead to greatly improved prosthetic system performance and robustness in paralyzed people."
- 10 Benefits of Health IT include better decision-making and cost-effective care delivery
This infographic should be all physicians need to glance at to really welcome Health IT into their practices and as an overarching philosophy informing patient care.
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page