|MATR Newsletter - Fri Oct 26, 2012|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
MATR Web services provided by:
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
I fundamentally believe in this state. And I fundamentally believe in the people in this room and the places and causes you represent. Your state has experienced tough times. And you have undergone wrenching change in your economy stretching back 50, even 75 years. But you have good bones, strong assets, and a solid hand to play in these dynamic, disruptive times. Play that hand well. Invest in what makes you special, invest in your places and invest in your people. Be bold. Be focused. Be disciplined. Seize the future. Carpe diem. http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html
Today! - Event To Celebrate Grand Reopening Of MonTEC Business Incubator, 10/26, Missoula, Montana http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html --- John Stewart (The Daily Show) takes on Economic Reintegration for Veterans - Hire a Veteran today! http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html --- Montana CIO Dick Clark Awarded for Meritorious Service http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html --- "To The Summit! Mountaineering And Responsibility To The Planet", 11/2, University Of Montana - Missoula http://www.matr.net/ev ... =4359 --- UM Entrepreneurship Club Meeting With Submittable And Orbital Shift, 11/01, Missoula, Montana http://www.matr.net/ev ... =4357
Montana Department of Commerce
- Montana Department of Commerce Announces Economic Development Grant Awards
"Big Sky Economic Development Trust Fund Grants are proven business expansion tools," said Dore Schwinden, Director of the Montana Department of Commerce. "They help grow businesses and create jobs in communities across the state."
- NorthWestern Energy says gas bills are at 10-year low
NorthWestern Energy is predicting energy prices will be stable this winter heating season.
Arrow Solutions Group
- Billions and billions: big data becomes a big deal
Like many emerging technologies, BD can be easy to read about, but hard to picture in real world applications. A recent example from the media industry may help:
- How More Access to Data Can Transform Health Care
"Health data is no longer a government initiative. It is an American initiative."
- Gartner identifies the top 10 strategic technology trends for 2013
These technologies impact the organization's long-term plans, programs and initiatives.
- The Next Level in Business Intelligence in Banking
A new philosophy centered around enterprisewide use of BI tools -- coupled with advances in analytics and data management -- is helping banks make better and more-profitable business decisions.
- Gartner Sees Huge IT Shifts Coming with Big Data, 'Nexus of Forces'
There's a catch to capturing, analyzing and using Big Data. "There's not enough talent in the industry."
2012 Montana Politics and Legislature
- Montana Career Opportunities - Business Development Manager, Front End Web Developer/Graphic Designer, GIS Database Developer, Senior IT Infrastructure Engineer... and more - Arrow Solutions Group
At Arrow Solutions Group our staff has over 30 years' of combined training and experience in some of the most competitive markets in the world. We're professionals who have built our reputation with Fortune 500 companies as well as small businesses. As the top technical talent resource for the Northern Rockies and Northern Plains, we understand who will work best for you, both for the short term and the long term.
Come Home Montana
- Montana gubernatorial candidates share proposals for tourism
If elected Montana's governor on Nov. 6, Republican Rick Hill and Democrat Steve Bullock each pledged Tuesday to fully preserve tax revenues used to promote the state as a tourist destination.
Developing a more Entrepreneurial Montana
- Montana Career Opportunity - GIS Coordinator - Lake County, Montana
Lake County is looking for an innovative and ambitious GIS Coordinator who is willing to help our GIS program continue to grow.
- Montana Career Opportunities - Careers at Resodyn Corporation
Our tag line, "Building Value through Discovery and Innovation" sums up our commitment to the advancement of science while providing true value to our customers, employees and community.
- Montana Career Opportunities - Project Manager, Senior Systems Engineer, Marketing Specialist, Web/UI Software Developer II, and many more... StoneRiver National Flood Service
From the Mail Room to the Board Room, the opportunities exist for you to make a difference with the professionals at NFS in Kalispell, Montana
Hellgate Venture Network
- Announcing a Free Startup Communities Online Workshop From Cojourneo
If you're interested in building (or growing) a startup community in your city, I encourage you to register today for the workshop before it fills up.
- Hellgate Venture Network Learn All About "Start Up Missoula", 10/25, Missoula, Montana
At our HVN meeting this week, Bob Clay and Dawn McGee, who recently participated in the Spokane Startup Weekend, will share their enthusiasm for the format and talk about plans for January.
MSU Leadership Institute & UM Global Leadership Initiative
- Global travel company Adventure Life owner Brian Morgan unveils new apartments, offices near downtown Missoula
With 15 apartments in all, the complex near a grocery store and downtown Missoula is a draw for residents who want to tap into an urban lifestyle.
- Silk Road - Four decades of spice - Culinary family Risho carves a niche in Missoula
Ray and Susie Risho came to Montana more than forty years ago and have challenged and thrilled Missoula's taste buds ever since.
- This cutting-edge airplane is being built in a Kalispell garage
It's a small plane called Synergy, a cutting-edge, original design that he's creating with the intention of it becoming the minivan of the skies.
- Air Controls of Billings was recognized as a Family Business of the Year in the Medium Category
They serve customers Montana, Wyoming, North Dakota, South Dakota, Idaho, Utah and Colorado.
The Missoula Economic Partnership
- What Leaders Can Learn from Wild Animal Trainers
Negotiation is a fun thing. It should be an enjoyable and it should be an exchange. It doesn't have to be where you're trying to destroy and get everything. It's the ability to look for mutual gain.
- From combat to classrooms - Veterans find post-war purpose in pursuing higher education
The new variation of the G.I. Bill can pay up to full tuition for veterans, depending on their length of service.
- John Stewart (The Daily Show) takes on Economic Reintegration for Veterans - Hire a Veteran today!
You know America has a problem when a veteran can save lives in Iraq but can't get a job as a school nurse in the U.S.
- Cultivating Existing Firms in Your Community
"Instead of offering traditional incentives like tax credits or real estate discounts, economic gardening programs enable entrepreneur support organizations and economic development organizations to offer something that can be even more valuable to local CEOs: strategic information that's customized for his or her company."
Incubators and R&D
- Hewlett-Packard wins Idaho school laptop contract
The company submitted the lowest bid - providing HP ProBook laptops, software, security and support for $249 per student - in a process involving four other companies.
- Reduce, Rekluse, recycle: How a Boise motorcycle clutch maker cut its costs as it shrank its carbon footprint
"Leadership is a big component. Rekluse's leaders realize the benefit they get from saving energy and the payback they get from that."
- Mountain Home cheese plant to hold job fairs in Meridian, Glenns Ferry, Idaho
Company representatives will be accepting applications and interviewing job candidates.
- Idaho wind developer's woes mount with lawsuit
The Boise-based company has also suspended more than $300 million worth of projects in its home state and has struggled to pay some of its other bills.
- Software sales a boon for School District - Locally developed education program goes national - The Mileposts Program
Sales of an educational software program developed by the Blaine County School District are rapidly expanding into the national market.
- Montana-based Frontier Angel Fund Invests in Social Good Network
Social Good Network, which creates new fundraising opportunities for nonprofits through online shopping, direct donations, and social media, will use the capital to hire marketing staff and enhance its technology platform and online offering.
Oregon Economic Development
- Event To Celebrate Grand Reopening Of MonTEC Business Incubator, 10/26, Missoula, Montana
Members of the public are invited to a ribbon-cutting event to celebrate completion of a $3.5 million renovation and expansion of Missoula's Montana Technology Enterprise Center (MonTEC), a business and technology incubator operated by The University of Montana.
- Intel makes a bet on the future, and Oregon, with massive Hillsboro expansion
The chipmaker filed plans Wednesday to build a mammoth new factory in Hillsboro, committing billions to the future at a time when other companies are hedging.
Regional Economic Development
- Denver publishes new capital resource guide for small businesses
The Denver Capital Matrix http://blogs.denverpost.com/thebalancesheet/tag/denver/ lists more than 250 funding sources, including angel investors, private equity and venture capital firms and traditional bank lenders.
- Charting Maine's Future: Delivering the Next Economy in Maine
Your state has experienced tough times. And you have undergone wrenching change in your economy stretching back 50, even 75 years. But you have good bones, strong assets, and a solid hand to play in these dynamic, disruptive times.
South Dakota Economic Development
- The Rise of the Great Plains: Regional Opportunity in the 21st Century
While the area we have studied encompasses portions of thirteen states, our focus here is on ten core locations: North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, and Montana.
21st Century Education Initiative - "You Should Care..."
- '14' will determine fate of state's industrial growth - Measure would grant refunds to companies that locate in S.D.
Business groups re-emphasized their support Tuesday for a ballot issue they said would provide tax relief for prospective employers while encouraging economic development in South Dakota.
- Should High Schools Teach Big Data?
Given the anticipated shortage of data scientists, some high school educators have jumped in to expose students to big data concepts.
- We Need to Disrupt Education, Now
Our education system has not changed in two hundred years.
- Data in Education: It's more than test scores
In a data-driven school, teachers aren't obsessed with test scores, they're determined to build a full picture of student performance - and a plan for how to help students do even better, academically and beyond.
- Early childhood skills pave way for later success - “We invest now, or we’re going to continue to pay later.”
Emotional, social well-being forms the foundation for academic achievement, experts say--and now free multimedia resources can help as roughly one in five parents said they feel they do not have the tools needed to prepare their children's social/emotional skills for entry into kindergarten.
Montana Education Excellence
- 11 Entrepreneurs Teaching the Next Generation
While the details of the startup world change constantly, there are a number of patterns that remain consistent -- and there's no better way to navigate those than the counsel of someone who has been there.
- Stanford alumni's companies combined equal 10th largest economy on the planet
University graduates have created an estimated 5.4 million jobs and generate annual revenues of $2.7 trillion, based on responses to the 2011 Alumni Innovation Survey, sponsored by the venture capital firm Sequoia Capital.
- Flashnotes Makes Studying Pay
Flashnotes enables students to set their own price for the notes they upload and the flashcards they create; and they earn up to 80% on each sale.
Montana Education/Business Partnerships
- Montana State University technology investments benefit students
"We have invested in our IT infrastructure at several strategic points where students connect with technology," said Dewitt Latimer, MSU's chief information officer. "In the end these improvements will help our students succeed at MSU."
- Four MSU undergrads chosen for new applied internship program
The new program offers students a combination of academic mentorship and industry research experience in order to give them hands-on career skills.
Funding and Building your Business
Energy and Climate Change
- Venture Capitalists Every Startup Should Know
Every aspiring entrepreneur should take good note of them.
- Behind the Scenes of Fundraising With an Angel Investor
While Wisniewski discusses how to get funding, he also advises putting off fundraising as long as possible. The more an entrepreneur can accomplish on his or her own, the better.
- 7 Ways it Pays to Build a Socially Conscious Startup
To legally facilitate startups who want to give top priority to socially conscious solutions, eleven states, including New York and California, have passed legislation allowing incorporation as a Benefit Corporation (B-Corp).
- 5 Steps to Successful Marketing With Multiple Media
The place to start today is if your company only uses traditional media for marketing, or no marketing.
- How to Sell Management on a New CRM Solution
Companies of all sizes rely on CRM to capture new customers and retain current ones, which is often reason enough to invest in the technology.
- 10 strategic technologies your company needs to seriously consider investing in
"This does not necessarily mean organisations should adopt and invest in all of the listed technologies; however companies need to be making deliberate decisions about how they fit with their expected needs in the near future."
- 7 Ways it Pays to Build a Socially Conscious Startup
The B-Corp status is meant to reduce investor suits, and gives consumers an easy way to spot genuine social commitment, without assuming it is a non-profit.
Connectivity & Communications
- Sweden Needs More Trash, Because It Has Turned All It's Got Into Energy
In Sweden, people are so diligent about recycling that just 4% of all trash ends up in landfills, It's a heartening statistic, but it has led to a problem for the country--there's not enough garbage to power the country's large waste-to-energy program.
- Water Utilities Should Change Pricing to Curb Use, Oracle Says
"The threat of water scarcity is not an insurmountable challenge but to overcome it, water utilities will need to make much more productive use of water available and better educate their customers about its value," Brian Gardner, senior editor at the Economist Intelligence Unit, said in a statement accompanying the report.
- Is Your Dishwasher Really Yearning for the Internet?
In the not-so-distant future, Glen Burchers believes, the gadgets in our homes--not to mention our homes themselves--will be replete with microprocessors, enabling the automation and remote control of everything from your lights to your laundry.
- Turning Forests into Carbon Banks
Around the country, communities, farmers, ranchers and other landowners are earning extra cash by taking advantage of a fledgling market for carbon sequestration offsets.
Small Business Innovative Research (SBIR)
- App translates languages during real-time phonecalls
In a hyper-connected world, one of the main difficulties is communication between those of a different tongue and the Hanashite Hon'yaku app aims to provide a solution to this problem. How else can technology help break down language barriers to global conversation?
- Workshop To Focus On Bringing 'MetroNet' To Bozeman, 11/1
Driven by the goal of serving today's data intensive companies as well as attracting more high tech businesses to Bozeman - an idea written into the city's strategic plan - the workshop will focus on the community's needs and economic benefits of expanding Bozeman's access to the information superhighway via a locally driven fiber Metronet.
- Hawaii CIO Talks Island Broadband (VIDEO) - Affordable 1 Gbps broadband connectivity to everyone by 2018
Last summer, Hawaii Gov. Neil Abercrombie's office announced a plan to make affordable 1 Gbps broadband connectivity available to underserved and rural communities, businesses and public institutions throughout the state.
- It's Not Your Father's SBIR Program Anymore!
Probably the most onerous implication is that the SBIR and STTR programs will both become VERY MUCH more competitive than in the past.
- Montana CIO Dick Clark Awarded for Meritorious Service
“In Montana, we have a super highway of electronic communication and money in the bank,” said Governor Brian Schweitzer. “Dick Clark has contributed to both with his steady hand on state-of-the-art IT applications and tight rein on costs. I would like to congratulate Dick on this award and thank him for his efforts on behalf of Montanans.”
Cool Stuff That's Coming
- Excellent Idea of the Day: Exercise Your Brain
So what are you waiting for? It's time to get off the computer and move!
- Fearful Kids More Likely to Become Conservatives
Children with higher levels of fearfulness during young childhood were more likely to turn out conservative, and kids with higher levels of attentional focusing and activity or restlessness were more likely to be liberal.
- Wall Steet Journal - 2012 Technology Innovation Awards
This year's winners tackled big problems--and came up with solutions that could make a real difference in people's lives.
- The Bozeman MakerSpace
If you have an interest in making, modding things, new technology, or just want to learn how things work, this is to be the place for you.
- Health IT startup shows what's missing from patient surveys: fun (video)
The thinking is that if patients are more engaged, they will take more of an interest in their health, in understanding their condition, particularly for chronic conditions, and follow the advice of healthcare professionals.
- 5 technologies that will disrupt the world in 2013
To anybody following new technologies, 3D printing topping the list is a no-brainer.
- More Allegiant Airline opportunities in Missoula's future?
Airport Director Cris Jensen says it's encouraging Missoulians like to be part of the discussion and the airport is constantly in talks with affordable carriers to provide customers what they want, cheap flights to warm places.
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page