|MATR Newsletter - Tue Aug 21, 2012|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
MATR Web services provided by:
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
"The "Earth" without "art" is just "Eh".
Augusta National Golf Club adds first woman members - Condoleezza Rice To Speak At Montana State University 2012 Freshman Convocation, 9/5, Bozeman, Montana http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html --- The Real Reason America's Schools Stink http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html
Montana Department of Commerce
Visit Montana - Montana Dept. of Tourism
- Montana Department of Commerce 2012 Business Resources Division Summer Newsletter
The Montana Department of Commerce has created this quarterly newsletter to update you on the status of our business resources financing programs and other program news.
Developing a more Entrepreneurial Montana
- Northwest Travel: Montana - A taste of wilderness adventure at Glacier National Park
Rangers share literature that recommends 68 day hikes in Glacier National Park. With only a few days at Glacier, we decided to focus on three trails in different parts of the park.
- Yellowstone Video: The grand hotels of the park
Yellowstone National Park Historian Lee Whittlesey discusses the history of the various hotels that were built as the park became a popular tourist attraction.
- The Bootstrap Montana Mission
The Bootstrap Montana Loan Program creates jobs in rural Montana by providing Montana entrepreneurs with 0% loans for projects which will provide fast return on investment.
Montana Economic Development
- In 50 years, Billing, Montana based KOA has grown into the nation's king of camping
"What's true of human nature, from my perspective, is the more you give people, the more they want," said KOA president Pat Hittmeier
- The Missing Link to Reducing Work Comp Rates in Montana - you can schedule free workshops
Using real world insurance examples, this class explores the connection between safety and your bottom line. Having a written safety plan will help reduce work-related injuries, improve productivity and grow the bottom line. Participants will learn about requirements for joining Montana workers' compensation group rated plans.
MSU Leadership Institute & UM Global Leadership Initiative
- Powerful US senator from Montana, Max Baucus in Aukland, New Zealand to push free trade deal
"As leader of the Senate Committee that oversees trade, Baucus will promote the Trans-Pacific Partnership - a new free trade agreement that provides the United States with a critical opportunity to break down barriers that have made it difficult to sell Montana products, like beef, in some of the world's most important markets."
- Augusta National Golf Club adds first woman members - Condoleezza Rice To Speak At Montana State University 2012 Freshman Convocation, 9/5, Bozeman, Montana
For some, it was a long time coming.
Government and University TechTransfer
- 10 Keys to Maximizing Personal Gain From a Startup
"Use Your Head to Get Your Foot in the Door"
- Law school grads looking harder and farther for jobs after school
"Montana is not an exception to the national trend in which there seem to be fewer jobs for newly graduated lawyers."
- Moms at Tech Start-Ups Say They Can Have It All
"Every week is a jigsaw puzzle, and a piece is missing under the couch," says Julia Hartz, who see parallels between growing a company and growing a family.
- SkySong brings together university research with entrepreneurial community
Unusual in that it straddles the line between academia and private enterprise, ASU SkySong made a major directional shift in 2010 from a university department intended to spark student interest in entrepreneurship to one directly charged with creating jobs, bringing to market the fruits of ASU research and contributing to statewide economic development.
- Play with cats online? Animal shelter 'virtual room' lets you thanks to Boise based Reach-in
The Foothills Animal Shelter in Golden, Colo., reports that in the first month after its iPet Companion room went live in May, the number of cat adoptions rose 26.5% compared with the same period in 2011 and 67% compared with the month before the launch.
- Boise Hole will be filled Sunday... finally!
"We're often asked are we going to get further than the last guy,"
21st Century Education Initiative - "You Should Care..."
- The blueprint for a smarter Australia starts with manufacturing
While there has been considerable discussion of the problems facing manufacturing in an increasingly high cost environment, driven by Australia's terms of trade and high dollar, too little attention has been given to the opportunities to reposition our manufacturing for competitive advantage in global markets and supply chains.
- 6 tech tools to bring out the A student in you
To ready yourself into study mode, we're highlighting six tech products to bring out the A student in you.
- The Real Reason America's Schools Stink
If there's a crisis in U.S. education, the fault lies with a group more accustomed to leveling blame than receiving it...
Missoula Children's Theatre
- Intel hopes 'ultimate engineering' internship keeps students inspired and on track
The hands-on internship is intended to inspire students to stick with their major and stem the growing problem of attrition among college engineering students.
Montana Education Excellence
- Camelot Auditions, August 26, At Missoula Community Theatre
One of Broadway's classics, Camelot is an icon of the American musical theatre. MCT seeks many performers of various acting abilities. No experience necessary.
- 1995 Video on Helena kids' Internet predictions goes viral
"I knew these things were possible, and now 17 years later, I get to see it all."
- University of Montana hires media adviser
"Circumstances in the past year have led President Engstrom to believe that it's a good idea to get some guidance, tips and advice on public relations, and a review on good communications practices," McRae said. "Valerio Parrot is a good general adviser to universities and higher education on emerging issues."
- Veteran lauded for persevering in special Missoula court
"We have brothers in arms who have difficulties. This would be an opportunity for you to step up. You've got a wonderful model here that's working." Lt. Gov. John Bohlinger
- MSU getting 'bigger and better' - yet also more crowded, beset by faculty vacancies
A beaming President Waded Cruzado said last week at Montana Hall that MSU "is getting even bigger and better."
Funding and Building your Business
Energy and Climate Change
- The Move from Systems of Record to Systems of Engagement
If you are a software vendor, now is the time for you to "throw out" your old tab-based design and start over. Companies will flock to these new "systems of engagement" like never before
- Tough interviews lead to more satisfied hires
Most veterans of tough interviews at these 25 companies rated the experience a positive one. More striking still, the companies with the highest difficulty ratings also score highest in employee satisfaction.
- 6 Myths From Past Startups That Limit Thinking
"You never get anywhere unless you take a chance" and "Passion and persistence are the keys to success," Unfortunately, there are still other old, reliable tenets that don't work anymore.
- 13 inspirational documentaries for entrepreneurs
Documentaries have a way of conveying profound ideas in an entertaining way that can lead to new thoughts, inspire action or simply shine a light on a stones unturned.
- Five Ways to Sabotage Your Liability Protection After Incorporation
Liability protection is not absolute and there are several instances where a business owner can be personally liable in business despite the fact he or she created a business entity.
- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Mediocre Entrepreneurs
If you want to get rich, sell your company, have time for your hobbies, raise a halfway decent family (with mediocre children, etc), and enjoy the sunset with your wife on occasion, here are some of my highly effective recommendations.
- 10 Comments You Never Want to Hear in a Startup
Now is the time to put aside your fantasies, and take a hard look at who you really are, before you commit to the entrepreneurial lifestyle. If you recognize yourself in many of these quotes, you WILL NOT be happy in that lifestyle:
- Rethink the Press Release, Says PR Newswire
Businesses of all sizes -- from solo entrepreneurial startups to the Fortune 100 -- are taking advantage of press releases.
- Investors Know A Product Doesn't Make a Business
Most investors will see it as a "solution looking for a problem." That's a big red flag, and will usually get your plan a quick toss to the circular file.
Cool Stuff That's Coming
- Climate change puts Atlantic coastline in crosshairs
Shorelines from North Carolina to Boston are in a 'hotspot' for sea-level rise and will see water levels rise at double the rate of most places on the planet, according to the U.S. Geological Survey. The doubling is largely because of a geologic double whammy.
- An Entire House That You Snap Together, Like A Toy
House-hunting? Soon, you can yank one right out of a machine.
- 3D design with no mouse, just hand gestures
A new design tool lets people create 3D objects with their bare hands using a depth-sensing camera and advanced software algorithms that interpret hand movements.
- Federal grant will fund trade corridor management in Montana
The Montana Department of Transportation will use the almost $300,000 grant to organize the stakeholders, look at goals and hire a consultant to do a strength, weakness/liabilities, opportunities and threats analysis study.
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page