|MATR Newsletter - Tue Jun 5, 2012|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
MATR Web services provided by:
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
"Today's students think technology now — live, breathe and eat it," said John Holwerda, assistant principal at Zeeland West High School. "We're coming to their world, instead of them coming to ours." http://matr.net/articl ... .html
What is Missoula doing to win this? University of Montana among thirty-seven research universities competing for 6 community wide superfast Internet connectivity awards http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html -- Great opportunity for startups looking for strategic funding Presenting Companies Invited - Venture Capital In The Rockies, 9/26-28, Big Sky Resort In Montana http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html
Montana Department of Commerce
Dorsey & Whitney LLP
- Senator Baucus Promotes Montana Tourism with Yellowstone Park Tour and Roundtable with Montana Tourism Industry
"Montana's beauty and quality of life are a big part of what makes our state such a great place to do business, and the tourism industry is a huge driver of Montana jobs. We're going to make sure these guys keep coming back - with money to spend and friends and family in tow - by showing them some good, old-fashioned Montana hospitality," Baucus said.
- Montana Innovation And Entrepreneurship Day, 6/21, Missoula, Montana
A day to inspire, educate, introduce, innovate and entertain Montanans who share a passion for building Montana's economy.
Visit Montana - Montana Dept. of Tourism
- State Uses Business Intelligence and Data Analysis to Recover $300 Million in Tax Revenue
"If we find an individual or a company who wasn't reporting or paying a certain type of tax that was due, once you get them compliant, that trickle seed revenue goes on for years."
- Understanding and using Business Intelligence and Advanced Analytics is Everyone's New Job Requirement
One way to raise awareness about the power of new analytics comes from articulating the results in a visual form that everyone can understand. Another is to enable the broader workforce to work with the data themselves and to ask them to develop and share the results of their own analyses.
Highway 12 Ventures
- 5 places every Montana kid should see
To see Montana in a whole new way with your children this summer, check out these five must-see destinations.
- Sunday Drive: Choteau area offers good eats, hikes and shopping
Grizzly bears, elk herds, the Old North Trail and a warm community offer plenty of reasons to visit Choteau. The town of about 2,000 is located 52 miles northwest of Great Falls and 72 miles southeast of Browning.
Montana Department of Transportation
- Orbotix Gets First Third Party Game Developer
Orbotix said that Last Fish has incorporated the Sphero as a game controller for the smartphone game, which is focused on a goal of surviving as a tiny fish in toxic water.
- Highway 12 Ventures - Portfolio News | May 2012
The 3 Stages of Social Media Marketing according to Kapost.
Come Home Montana
- Get More People Chirp!ng About Your Business, 06/19, Butte
Learn everything you need to know to start and run a successful social marketing campaign.
MEDA -Montana Economic Developers Association
- Montana Career Opportunity - Executive Director - Headwaters RC&D Area, Inc.
This position is based in Butte, Montana. Headwaters RC&D covers a seven-county region in southwestern Montana including Butte Silver Bow, Anaconda-Deer Lodge, Powell, Jefferson, Madison, Beaverhead, and Granite counties.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Tourism Sales Manager - Glacier Country Tourism
This position is responsible for assisting to coordinate and administer tourism sales and marketing activities in order to promote the overall mission of Glacier Country.
- Montana Career Opportunities - Campus Core Educational Programs Intern, Energy Education Intern - The Sustainable Business Council
The intern will help to refine our Strive Toward Sustainability workshop and assessment program by interacting with past participants, researching content for new workshops, researching and implementing a webinar format.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Online Marketing and Web Analytics Manager - Boone and Crockett Club
The Online Marketing and Web Analytics Manager is responsible for the development and implementation of B&C's online marketing plan, setting strategies for website development and growth (including traffic, revenue, conversion rates, revenue per visitor, profitability, and various social media metrics), and integrating offline marketing efforts online.
- Montana Economic Developers Association - MEDA June Newsletter
Welcome to MEDA Online News.
- Big Sky DevCON, 8/4, Bozeman, Montana
The Montana technology conference will focus on three main areas: User Experience, Application Development, and the Business of Technology.
Montana Economic Development
- Montana-Based Spray Applicator Specializes in Polyurea Projects - Polytech International
"I'm the only one in Montana who's doing this," said Wayne James, owner of Polytech International.
- Office by The Hour in Missoula - The Buttercup Market Offers Hourly Rental Office Space
It's an opportunity to get out of a home office, meet with clients, or find some peace and quiet. One block from the University of Montana, the space is located in the loft of the Market (formally Freddy's Feed and Read).
Warren Miller Freedom Foundation
- Montana jobs blow in with wind farms
"I went on a networking road trip on the West Coast, stopped in the NaturEner's office in San Francisco for an interview and was hired for my job here in Montana two years ago," said Barbee. "I like this career, the work, but it also allows me to live here and enjoy the open spaces, the mountains and rivers.. I would call our company an economic stimulus."
- Why Every School in America Should Teach Entrepreneurship
As an educator of at-risk youth for over thirty years, and NFTE's founder, I've seen only one thing consistently bring children raised in poverty into the middle class: entrepreneurship education.
- 7 tips to get the most out of your internship
To get that internship, a student should begin looking one or two terms ahead of time, working with a school's career center to make contacts with prospective employers.
- Wanted: Big crop of young farmers and ranchers
"If we do not repopulate our working lands, I don't know where to begin to talk about the woes,"
Incubators and R&D
- MEDC announces 5 new business initiatives to expand 'economic gardening toolkit'
The initiatives "significantly expand our economic gardening toolkit to grow our state's economy" by providing ways for companies to collaborate and take advantage of growth opportunities.
- WSU researchers turn battery research on its head
The university has already filed patent applications for the technology, and talks have started with commercial electroplating companies. If all goes smoothly, Norton estimated the higher-capacity batteries could start appearing in consumer electronics like phones, laptops and digital cameras in a year, and in electric car batteries in about four years.
- Stanford professor wins $500K MIT invention prize
Stephen Quake invented a chip, similar to those in electronic devices, that lets scientists take nearly 10,000 different measurements at once.
- TechStars' new 3-day Patriot Boot Camp will help veterans and service members launch a company
The goal is to extend technology company startup opportunities to demographic groups that are currently underrepresented in the technology startup community.
Regional Economic Development
- Top Ten Reasons Why Companies Are Leaving California
California's commercial electrical rates already average 50 percent higher than in the rest of the country.
- Austin biz wants $150,000 to move HQ to S.A.
- Economic development requires creativity
To be successful in competing for a larger share of the global economy, we need to do "old things" in "new ways."
21st Century Education Initiative - "You Should Care..."
- Gillette, Sheridan, Wyoming economies in top 10 among small U.S. cities
Gillette has made Policom's top 10 list five years in a row.
- 10 of the best Droid apps for education in 2012
Apps for learning phonics, astronomy, and turning an Android tablet into an interactive whiteboard are among this year's most useful Droid-based apps
- Mr. Science is Doing Battle to Encourage Silicon Valley's Youngest Innovators
I dare any kid to spend a morning with Bob Boschert and not fall madly or more deeply in love with science.
Missoula Children's Theatre
- Universities Push "Super Seniors" to Graduate to Improve Completion Rates
Fewer than half of students graduate in four years at 33 of the 50 state flagship schools. The overall four-year graduation rate is 31 percent for public colleges and 52 percent for private ones, the federal government reported this year.
- A New Class of Entrepreneurial Community Colleges
More and more community college leaders have recognized the need to also prepare students that look to create jobs too. Thanks to the efforts of many visionary community college leaders, these institutions of higher education are becoming more important actors in America's entrepreneurial ecosystems.
Montana Education Excellence
- Montana's Ambassadors to the World - The Little Red Trucks of the Missoula Children's Theater
Merlo is one of 94 tour directors who will travel across the United States and overseas, as far away as U.S. military bases in South Korea and Turkey, this summer on Missoula Children's Theatre's http://www.mctinc.org/ international tour.
Montana Education/Business Partnerships
- MontanaTech grad, Ryan Lance, chairman and chief executive officer excited to lead energy titan ConocoPhillips -
he gives credit where credit is due, and Montana Tech is one of the many places that he hasn't forgotten. "You're not a number, you're actually a person in Butte," he said. "The town really rallies around the school."
- Montana State University's College of Business seeks area businesses and non-profits for consultation
During the four-month courses, students will help manage special consulting projects requested by area businesses and non-profit organizations.
- Financing High Impact Ventures: Creating Jobs And Wealth In Montana, 6/22, Missoula, MT
Angel Investor, William H. Payne, engineer, entrepreneur, and educator is coauthor of the seminar.
Funding and Building your Business
- A National Conversation on the Future of Our Communities
Come Join the Conversation!
- THREE new grant announcements
- Employment solutions: Can a town's good deeds lower unemployment?
Communities with high social capital tend to have lower unemployment. Some seeking employment solutions see this altruistic glue as something to study.
Connectivity & Communications
- Presenting Companies Invited - Venture Capital In The Rockies, 9/26-28, Big Sky Resort In Montana
VCIR Fall, now in its fifth year and taking place in Montana, showcases the region’s most promising companies for an audience of over 150 venture investors and service professionals from around the region and across the country.
- Seven "Non-Negotiables" to Prevent a Bad Hire
When we add people to our nearly 100-person company, these criteria are non-negotiable.
- B-Reel: The Company That's Changing Advertising
B-Reel is using technology to obliterate the line between selling and entertainment. Check out how this company is shaking up the industry.
- Jim Collins: Be Great Now
What makes great companies tick.
- 6 Hidden Reasons Why Investors Say Come Back Later
In my experience, here are the most common issues that cause funding requests for potentially viable businesses to be rejected, in priority order:
- The Way I Work: Anne Wojcicki, 23andMe
Anne Wojcicki (wife of Google co-founder Sergey Brin) thinks we should know more about ourselves, all the way down to our chromosomes. Here's a day in the life at her company, which provides genetic testing services.
- 5 Sure Signs That a Good Startup is Going Bad
I'm convinced that the underlying points are even more relevant to entrepreneurs, with some adaptation for the realities of the startup world:
- Mind the Gap Between a Good Idea and Good Business
Most investors will tell you that they rarely see a new idea that they haven't heard before.
- Entrepreneurs: Don't Quit Your Real Job Too Early
Many people simply can't handle multitasking, so they struggle for years doing both, and really do both jobs poorly.
- Do You Know What Your Clients Really Want?
From a risk management perspective, I see the effort placed into getting to know your clients as one of the most, if not the most important, risk management effort that can be undertaken because this is what helps to build trust, and in the practice of law, trust is a good thing.
- 8 Attributes of a Real Entrepreneur That Run Deep
It's not so easy to fake the important attributes when the going gets rough.
- How women are changing the tech world
The emergence of young female tech founders and executives reflects sweeping change in the worlds of start-up companies and angel funding, where wealthy investors give money in return for a stake in a company. It underscores the enormous purchasing prowess of women online that is transforming the Web economy.
The Creative and Cultural Economy
- University of Montana among thirty-seven research universities competing for 6 community wide superfast Internet connectivity awards
Universities affiliated with Gig.U will vie for $200 million to bring superfast Internet to their communities.
- Great Falls bird carver wins big at prestigious international competiton
Painter said winning is one of the highlights of his carving career.
- Missoula's Linsey Corbin and Seven-time Tour de France Winner Lance Armstrong Set Course Records At 70.3 Hawaii Triathlon
No one came within striking distance of Corbin on the run, so she held onto her lead and finished in 4:26:09, a new course record.
- Building With Engineered Timber
The Graphite Apartments, a nine-story residential tower in London, is one of the tallest timber buildings in the world. It is constructed of factory-made solid-wood wall and floor panels called cross-laminated timber, or CLT.
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page