|MATR Newsletter - Tue May 22, 2012|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
MATR Web services provided by:
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
“Governing is about causing groups to function well as a unit.” David Sloan Wilson What Can Schools and Cities Learn from Wasps? "The Neighborhood Project: Using Evolution to Improve My City, One Block at a Time" http://matr.net/articl ... .html
Montana AFL-CIO "Into The Future: Montana Job Growth & Workforce Development Conference", 5/21-23, Missoula http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html
Montana Manufacturing Extension Center
- Data trove may shed light on health-care uncertainties
Compiled by the non-profit, non-partisan Health Care Cost Institute, the database will allow researchers to slice and dice more than 3 billion medical claims for more than 33 million individuals in search of answers.
- Big data - Harnessing a game-changing asset
"Most companies can feel that something exciting is happening here, and they are still trying to figure out how it is different from what they have been doing. But the best companies are already able to operationalize data, and are letting it pervade the organization." Companies that fail to develop a competency around it are likely to be left behind.
Come Home Montana
- Making something of it - An MSU-based program helps Montanans manufacture success - Montana Manufacturing Extension Center
"Manufacturing is a high-wage job creator in Montana." - Steve Holland
- Montana 55 - The Magazine for Montanan's In Their Prime
There really is no place like home.
- Montana Career Opportunities - 2 Regional Disaster Coordinators - Snowy Mountain Development Corporation
The Coordinators will provide support and assistance to the local governments, businesses and entities within the entire SMDC region that was impacted by severe storms as identified in the Disaster Declaration.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Ecology GIS Project Manager - The Montana Natural Heritage Program
S/he will also take the lead on developing and managing databases to support ecological classification and analysis projects and for making data available to support effective resource management and conservation.
- Montana Talent Available - Systems Engineering and Network IT Consultant
Professional Goals: Information Technology Systems role where I can utilize my broad technical background and experiences to work with clients and colleagues to identify, characterize and solve challenging and interesting problems.
Montana Economic Development
- Missoula-based Blue Marble Biomaterials part of new wave in Western Montana industry
By tweaking ingredients, Blue Marble has the potential of making more than 50,000 different products.
- World Famous Violins and Cellos Come from the Pattee Canyon in Missoula, Montana - "Mark Hollinger Fine Instruments"
I feel really lucky to have carved out a living doing this," he says. "So to speak."
- Coffee grounds lead to business, innovation for new Missoula company
Blue Marble Biomaterials http://bluemarblebio.com/ is inventing the future of food and other products, carving out a piece of a $43 billion business.
- Zinc Air of Columbia Falls is building batteries as big as a Walmart building and business is booming.
Zinc Air of Columbia Falls has been developing a new generation of batteries to store electricity generated by wind power and to distribute it to the power grid on demand.
- The Montana SBA: A big salute to small businesses
Every year the Montana District Office of the U.S. Small Business Administration http://www.sba.gov/about-offices-content/2/3126 honors outstanding small business owners and business champions from across Montana.
- PPL a whole different company
Is the Pennsylvania-based company interested in buying regulated assets in Montana, perhaps those once held by Montana Power Co. and now owned by NorthWestern Energy?
- Blue Marble Biomaterials Meets Kosher, Food Grade, and Quality Control standards in Missoula Facility.
Blue Marble Biomaterials is exceeding expectations with additional guarantees and certifications to accompany natural ester, thioester, and extract products.
- Glacier Park's Future
"How do we manage the park?" Hall asked. "How do we handle numbers we have not seen in the past? There is a limit sometimes for what these resources can withstand before they start to degrade and so does the experience." "We don't know where we're headed with this," she added. "We don't know how to solve this. We need your help."
- Gluten-free growth: Polson, Montana-based Gluten Free Mama expands to national distribution
The next five years will be a pivotal time for the business. With a certified gluten-free kitchen, Edington is considering offering her facility to other gluten-free manufacturers. She's also mapping out a plan for what happens when the company reaches the point of needing major capital investment.
Warren Miller Freedom Foundation
- Montana AFL-CIO "Into The Future: Montana Job Growth & Workforce Development Conference", 5/21-23, Missoula
Montana must construct a system of gradual workforce transitions and move away from an emphasis on reactions to industry events.
- Recommended Reading for Young Entrepreneurs
We asked some experts on kids and business for their top picks to get youngsters started.
- Montana Senator Tester's veterans' jobs bill offering new education assistance
VOW to Hire Heroes Act provision focuses on retraining 100,000 veterans for high-demand jobs
- 6 Ways to Get a Tech Job Without a Tech Degree
You can transition to the tech world, if you're willing to put in a little work. Here are six steps that will help you get there.
- Tech tools to kickstart your job hunt
An easy way to present your best self forward is to create an online portfolio or name card.
Incubators and R&D
- Champions Crowned at TechLaunch 9.0
In its ninth year, TechLaunch is an event designed to educate and provide a stage for entrepreneurs and students to practice and hone their business pitch in front of the business community and has introduced some great companies to the intricacies of early stage financing.
- State of Idaho could strengthen role in Idaho National lab
"There is no legal framework for such a thing. My point has been the days of the federal government having a reservation on the state without the state's full involvement in what's going on are past."
21st Century Education Initiative - "You Should Care..."
- Why we need a Federal Lab Innovation Authority: Unlocking Our Federal Lab Resources for Economic Growth
The National Governor's Association has identified fed labs as unrealized entities for regional economic development in the U.S.
Missoula Schools Excellence
- TEDxManhattanBeach - Paulo Blikstein - One Fabrication Lab per School: the [email protected] project
"A lot of the skills we teach in school now are obsolete."
- Public Money Finds Back Door to Private Schools
Public school officials view the tax credits as poorly disguised state subsidies, part of an expanding agenda to shift tax dollars away from traditional public schools. "Our position is that this is a shell game."
Montana Education Excellence
- Graduation Matters Missoula Sponsors Spring Meeting To Update Community, 5/21
It will include updates on current and new projects in the initiative. The public is encourage to attend and get more involved in the initiative.
- Dropout number disappoints at Missoula County Public Schools graduation update
Others at the meeting stressed the need to address graduation long before students reach high school.
Montana Education/Business Partnerships
- The Montana State University Magazine Mountains and Minds Spring 2012
"One of the most important lessons that we as educators have to teach our students is that not all endeavors will be successful the first time around. In fact, sometimes the greatest accomplishments come after disappointment and perseverance." President Waded Cruzado
- University of Montana Professor One Of First To Create Digital Textbook
"This tool isn't just an electronic book," Emlen said. "It's a true application built with the interactive end user in mind."
- CenturyLink Donates Computer Lab to Washington Elementary School through CenturyLink's Internet Basics Program
On Monday, May 21, 2012, CenturyLink, through its Internet Basics Program, surprised Washington Elementary School with a new Computer Mobile Lab, consisting of 20 MacBook Pro Computers, and a $3,849.40 check for upgrades to the schools existing computers.
Funding and Building your Business
- Five Valleys Land Trust, others make deal to preserve Rock Creek, Montana acreage
The land along the mouth of Rock Creek - western Montana's vaunted blue-ribbon trout stream - will remain undeveloped, thanks to a deal between the owners and several local conservation groups.
- The Face of Montana
50 profiles from 50 states at all the same address: 50 Main Street.
Energy and Climate Change
- Angel investors launch first online platform for start-ups - http://www.VentureFund.com
http://www.VentureFund.com, a brainchild of Shoker, aims to connect entrepreneurs of early stage companies with qualified investors from around the world. The site will go live later this week.
- Why Mediation Might Be Best for Business Partner Breakups
Breaking up is always hard to do, but it is very possible that it is hardest when you're breaking up with your business partner.
- As Google Tweaks Searches, Some Get Lost in the Web
Google declines to divulge specifics of its search-ranking algorithm, but it discourages paid links and low-quality website links.
- How to Raise Venture Capital Through Crowdfunding
Crowdfunding is a means of raising capital, usually over the Internet, from people who believe in what you're trying to accomplish.
- Crowdfunding Secrets: Five Ways to Build an Amazing Campaign
While no equity or ownership stake has previously changed hands in exchange for contributions, the recent passage of the JOBS Act may prove a game changer for entrepreneurs.
- 6 Key Attributes of a Winning Business Culture
Your values as you create a startup are the key to creating an enviable culture that attracts more customers.
- You Can't Be the Victim as an Entrepreneur
According to an article by Karl Perera, called "Victim Mentality - You Don't Have to Suffer!" there are many indications of a victim mentality in a person's thought process.
- 7 Ways to Gauge Your Commitment to Your Startup
There are no middle roads to real commitment, and if you are not ready to fully commit to all the rigors of a startup, you are better off sticking with your current role.
- Social Media Marketing
When Regina Stone, a small business owner in Brooklyn, needed some advice about maximizing her social media experience, she turned to Scott Gerber, the founder of the Young Entrepreneur Council. He shared some best practices for marketing her company online.
- Is your small business not taking advantage of valuable tax credits?
A new report says that there are over three million small businesses that qualify for $15 billion in tax credits, but most entrepreneurs aren't aware of the potential savings. John Arensmeyer, the founder and CEO of the advocacy group Small Business Majority, tells us why small business owners need to pay close attention to the tax code.
- How to Prepare Your Intern to Be a Great Hire
Even if your summer intern isn't destined to be your next permanent hire, he or she will likely be someone else's. Do business owners everywhere a great service and infuse the community with effective employees. Here's how to prepare your intern for a full-time job.
- Investors Reject Plans With No Clear Business Model
As Guy Kawasaki says in his book "The Art of the Start," http://www.amazon.com/The-Art-Start-Time-Tested-Battle-Hardened/dp/1591840562/ref=tmm_hrd_title_0 if you can't describe your business model in ten words or less, you don't have a business model.
- How to Stop the Dreaded "Decision Drift"
When we gain consensus on a decision or course of action, everyone agrees on the surface. But as soon as people leave the meeting and start making in-the-moment decisions, their underlying attitudes and assumptions get in the way.
- Startups Are All About the Execution, So Tell Me How
Here are four key disciplines that I believe the best business leaders follow to expedite the change and forward progress implicit in the successful execution of a million dollar idea:
Connectivity & Communications
- Electric car network gets first test in Israel
The concept: to wean the world from oil and eliminate the biggest hurdles to environmentally friendly electric cars _ high cost and limited range.
The Creative and Cultural Economy
- Digital divide may hang up rustic phones
The risk is that we may be creating a digital divide--not necessarily a divide between the rich and poor, but between the information rich and information poor."
- Cable companies expand free Wi-Fi
The companies are calling the new network "CableWiFi," so that subscribers will be able to find the hot spots when they're roaming outside their own cable territory.
Cool Stuff That's Coming
- Richard Ford (Independence Day) book returns to Great Falls, Montana
For his first novel in six years, Ford's writing has returned to Montana. He's set much of "Canada" in Great Falls in the 1960s. The book will be released Tuesday.
- Meet The Startup That's Going To Completely Change The Way You Buy From Stores - Postmates
It's releasing the Get It Now application, which will let you use Postmates to order just about anything -- from food to a MacBook Pro -- and have it delivered to you in under an hour.
- Self-Powered Bionic Eye to Restore Eyesight
A team from Stanford University and the University of Strathclyde in the United Kingdom has created a thin prosthetic chip from silicon that electrically stimulates neurons in the retina. Unlike other retinal implants, the device is photovoltaic so it wouldn't require complicated surgery for a battery-powered setup.
- Bozeman Yellowstone International Airport - United announces winter season non-stop to New York/Newark
Flights will operate once weekly on Saturdays from December 22, 2012 through March 30, 2013.
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page