|MATR Newsletter - Tue Mar 6, 2012|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
MATR Web services provided by:
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
THERE ARE 10 KINDS OF PEOPLE. THOSE WHO UNDERSTAND BINARY AND THOSE WHO DON’T.
University Of Montana Entrepreneurs Club Meeting, 3/7, Missoula, Montana (All are invited to participate) http://matr.net/events ... =4043 --- City Club Missoula Presents: Local Startups Are Using Science And Renewables To Grow New Business, 3/12 http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html
Come Home Montana
Developing Funding Opportunities in Montana
- Montana Career Opportunity - Public Relations Account Executive - PartnersCreative
We are looking for an energetic, enthusiastic individual with strong writing/editing skills and excellent communication skills.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Clinical Informatics Analyst - Monida Healthcare Network
Responsible for participation in the design, build, implementation, and maintenance of the clinical information system (CIS).
- Montana Career Opportunities - Systems Administrator - Marketing Communications Specialist - Project Manager - Business Analyst - Systems Developer - Solutions Developer - Quality Assurance Analyst - Client Support Technician - Swing Shift - Zoot
Zoot http://www.zootweb.com has been the pioneer in the financial industry's decisioning and origination arena for over 20 years. We are the technical engine that is changing the way the nation's leading banks work.
- Job Seeker Resources in Montana
Our primary purpose is to develop and maintain a high quality workforce system for the state of Montana that supports and enhances the economic health of the business community as well as to provide a prepared workforce.
- Discover Montana Careers in the Energy Industry
Montana Energy 2012 is a two-day comprehensive energy conference and trade show held April 3 and 4 at the MetraPark Entertainment and Trade Center in Billings, Mont.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Building Operations Specialist - Blackfoot Telecommunications
Must be a self-starter, independent worker, who works well with others.
- Bozeman, Montana ranked among country's top micropolitan areas
Bozeman's economy ranks among the country's strongest for micropolitan areas, an independent economics research firm announced Monday.
MEDA -Montana Economic Developers Association
- Investment tax credit would aid job growth
Providing an incentive for investors to back these fledgling companies is a proven way to solve that problem
- MEDA Scholarship Round Open; Conference Summary; March News
Thanks for participating in the 2012 MEDA Gubernatorial Forum and Annual Meeting.
- Brain Food for Missoula's Soul - BarCamp Coming 4/13-14
Missoula BarCamp is going to be even better than it was last year, and I want you all to come back.
Montana Economic Development
- The Oil Boom Is Destroying Small Towns Across America
"I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt that they're coming here to work. But it's made the residents who live here very nervous."
- Local demand forces Kettlehouse (ColdSmoke) to remove products from Kalispell, Helena and Great Falls
Montana law limits microbreweries that sell their beer on-site to a yearly production of 10,000 barrels. Kettlehouse has been butting up against that limit for the past several years, as the demand for its Cold Smoke Scotch Ale has skyrocketed.
- Visitors Spend Over $100 Million in Glacier National Park - Report shows spending supported over 1,600 local jobs
"Glacier National Park has historically been an economic driver in the state," park Superintendent Chas Cartwright said in a prepared statement. "This report shows the value that the many goods and services provided by local businesses are to the park visitor, as well as employment opportunities for the area."
- Schedulicity More than Doubles Appointments in Just One Year and Clocks Over 300,000 Appointments Every 2 Weeks
Over 10 Million Appointments Scheduled Using Schedulicity
- Manufacturing future looks bright for local corporations in Central Montana - Spika Welding, Allied Steel, and HCR
As Lewistown looks toward a future of economic growth and development, a primary driving factor and good indicator of the health of the local economy is the strength of the area's manufacturing sector.
- 'Big Sky Super Computer' in Butte, Montana switches again: Third owner in less than a year
"It will bring jobs and investment to Butte and help reinvigorate a high-performance computing that had grown stale."
- Ronan, Montana based CORE Outdoor Power is Now Accepting Pre-Orders for Their State-of-the-Art CGT400 GasLess™ Line Trimmer
CORE Outdoor Power products are invented, designed and assembled in the state of Montana
- Remote-sensor bear trap earns patent for East Missoula entrepreneur - Alter Enterprises
The patent means Alter Enterprises http://www.alterenterprise.com/ can start marketing its invention to bear managers and researchers around the world.
MSU Leadership Institute & UM Global Leadership Initiative
- City Of Bozeman / Gallatin County Economic Summit, 3/22, Bozeman, Montana
Your participation will provide guidance for the planning teams to integrate feedback on building our regions capacity to help businesses prosper, increase awareness of strategic alliances and generate outcomes related to economic programs, partnerships, and prosperity in the region.
- Montana Gov. Schweitzer Appoints New Members to the Economic Development Advisory Council
The Missoula Economic Partnership
- 8 Must Read Leadership Bloggers
"Who are the best bloggers to read for advice on improving your management leadership skills?"
- General Wesley Clark Speaks About America At Montana State University
Monday night folks got the chance to hear from retired General Wesley Clark, one of the most highly decorated military officers in the nation.
- Missoula Downtown Association: Survey findings tout benefits of city's central urban space
"Missoula has what most communities wish they had, which is an intact downtown core. Most community have lost this," said James Grunke, interim president of the Missoula Economic Partnership.
City Club Missoula
- Montana Veterans Court helps 1st graduate get back on track
The program is designed to help vets get back on track when they end up on the wrong side of the law.
- City Club Missoula Presents: Local Startups Are Using Science And Renewables To Grow New Business, 3/12
City Club Missoula's http://www.cityclubmissoula.org upcoming forum will feature two cutting-edge startup companies, each using science to create renewable chemical alternatives - and each doing business right here in Missoula.
- A New Way to Finance Water Infrastructure
The concept is based on the popular TIFIA program, which the federal government uses to help finance large-scale transportation projects.
Incubators and R&D
- IdahoTechnology Council Launches Cohort Series for Early-Stage CEOs
Through the Cohort Series, ITC aims to reinforce leadership development, educate young entrepreneurs and build a unified community, all of which are crucial to developing sustainable technology businesses in Idaho.
Oregon Economic Development
- Technology For Generation Next: Teens in Tech Labs
"I realized is there was a lot of young entrepreneurs out there who had great ideas, but they didn't know what to do with them."
- Montana Tech's geophysical engineering receives $20 million grant
"These software grants make it possible for our students to use the latest versions of industry standard software for tackling real world geoscience problems," explained Dr. Curtis Link, Montana Tech Geophysical Engineering Department Head. "Employers are always highly impressed with the skill sets our graduates have and their ability to immediately become productive in the work environment."
University of Montana & Montana State University Tech Transfer
- Portland Seed Fund names second class of 8 startups
All but one of the companies selected for the fund's second class focus on software or mobile technology, a space that has captured much of the venture capital flowing into Portland during the last 18 months.
- Montana State University research breakthrough worth billions could be marketed in 2013
A Montana State University http://www.montana.edu/wwwvr/index.html science discovery 18 years in the making could soon save farmers worldwide billions of dollars through disease prevention.
- Research not for profit at University of Montana
"Typically the University pays the cost of finding commercial partners, but in my case they wished us luck and sent us off to pay for the license," DeGrandpre said. He signed a contract that outlined how he could market his patent, but he needed to pay the licensing cost and forfeit his right to royalties. The contract also directs all profits to DeGrandpre's business, not to him.
- Seven Universities to Partner in Tech Transfer Talent Network
Establishing a multi-university network allows state universities to share resources, identify talent, and learn from one another's commercialization strategies.
Utah Economic Development
- Get Online Utah: Free Event for Utah Businesses
"Utah Get Your Business Online" will provide the resources the State's businesses need to create an online presence.
21st Century Education Initiative - "You Should Care..."
- Governor's Office of Economic Development to Invest in Utah's Innovation Future
With over $23 million in combined follow-on funding being reported from previous recipients, we are excited about the prospects for Utah's most innovative new technologies."
Montana Education Excellence
- Montana students take pledge against the "r-word"
The students took a pledge by wearing green t-shirts to "Spread the Word to End the Word" and during an assembly on Friday, the students learned that the "r-word" - retard - is degrading and unnecessary.
- How STEM Jobs Are Leading Our Future and Why You Should Care
Today's students may not be getting the exposure to the math and science fields due to college graduates from those fields finding better paying work outside of teaching. Finally, students struggle to find role models in math and science departments.
- Missoula, Montana school district to adopt rigorous International Baccalaureate Programme
"These courses develop skills that translate well to the university setting - independent learning, research, time management skills. The benefit is that they take the students out of their comfort zone."
- Preschool bridges gaps in test scores later
Preschool enrollment is one of the best ways to ensure that disadvantaged kids start down the right academic path early on.
- Does Preschool Matter?
For many kids, the most important years of schooling come before they can even read.
Funding and Building your Business
- Chicks in Science packs the gym in Billings, Montana
Chicks in Science has become so popular since its creation in 2008 that next year organizers will expand to both the upper and lower sections of the university's gymnasium. And Schweikert also hopes to expand the program to other locations by creating a model for others to replicate.
Connectivity & Communications
- 10 Ways for Startups to Expand Their Reach in 2012
"Is there something here I could change (by providing a service or product) that would bring me financial gain?"
- Silicon Valley's hottest social network isn't Facebook: It's Pinterest
The bimonthly confab of tech entrepreneurs has nabbed some high-profile speakers in recent months. "The crowd was big for Kevin Rose," Dave Wamsley, a regular attendee, said of the Digg founder. "But now Elvis has entered the building."
- 10 Ways to Build a Business Culture Like Apple
Here are ten culture building principles, adapted for startups from this study, that I believe have the same potential for tripling the growth and survival potential of your entrepreneurial efforts:
- Unfilled jobs push high-tech hiring engine to max
Rarely a day goes by without news of a new tech company opening up in the Bay Area, or an established one expanding its footprint in the city and increasing its staff.
- How To Hire a Great Developer
Even if you do find a developer, how will you know the extent of his talent and whether he's a good fit for you?
- Begin With a Job at a Startup, Then Start Your Own
Here are some approaches and considerations in finding a good fit with real odds of success:
- Founder Focus: Don't Kill Your Startup With 1,000 Trivial Tasks
This is something I had a problem with myself, once upon a time: We want to do everything ourselves, which means we aren't focusing on the highest-value things we can be doing for our business.
The Creative and Cultural Economy
- Verizon launches wireless broadband for homes
Service starts at $60 per month for 10 gigabytes of data.
Cool Stuff That's Coming
- Montana filmmakers steeped in movie magic
Film is a medium of magic, whether it's documentary or feature, and talking with some of the magicians recently has been a special treat.
- Bozeman, Montana author releases first novel to great acclaim - "The Royal Wulff Murders"
"It's one of those (books) that has been so easy to recommend. He's a local, it's about Montana and it's smart and funny and fun."
HACKING AND VIRUS ALERTS
- Hardware Hacking at TED: From Snap-Together Circuit Kits to Roach-Based Neuroscience
From garage hackers in the tradition of Jobs and Woz to well-funded MIT specialists, TED 2012 has been a veritable buffet of men and women changing the way we think about hardware's role in the greater tech space.
- Montana biodiesel for sale!
Biodiesel produced in the Hi-Line will be available for sale in a local Havre fueling station starting Tuesday, March 6th.
- The Cancer Sniffing Machine - Metabolomx
The machine requires patients to breathe in and out for four minutes.
- Destroy sensitive documents during state-wide Montana 'shred-a-thon' week - March 5-9
Officials from all the partnering consumer protection organizations will be on hand to assist members of the public in shredding documents and share tips and resources to guard against fraudulent schemes, deceptive practices, ID theft and scams of all types - including the most notorious ones going on today. All shredding services are free of charge. Up to two boxes of documents are allowed.
- Peer-to-Peer Carsharing Goes National With RelayRides' Big Launch
RelayRides is entirely peer-to-peer -- if you have a car, then you can make it available for rental when you're not using it. RelayRides says the average car owner makes $250 a month from the program.
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page