|MATR Newsletter - Tue Jan 31, 2012|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
MATR Web services provided by:
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
"If you want children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales." A. Einstein
Hellgate Venture Network RE-SCHEDULED: "Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Business Intelligence", 2/2, Missoula http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html
Globalization Partners International
Montana Department of Commerce
- The Localization Challenges of Self-Paced eLearning
Be very careful about making assumptions here: Most educational systems are unlike the American model.
21st Century Education Initiative - "You Should Care..."
- Montana Department of Commerce Business Resources Division Newsletter WINTER 2012
The Montana Department of Commerce has created this quarterly newsletter to update you on the status of our business resources financing programs and other program news.
Great Falls Development Authority
- Study: Class size doesn't matter
"We attempt to understand how schools use data through the frequency of interim assessments, whether teachers meet with a school leader to discuss student data, how often teachers receive reports on student results, and how often data from interim assessments are used to adjust tutoring groups, assign remediation, modify instruction, or create individualized student goals."
The Missoula Economic Partnership
- EMTEQ plugs into Electric City (Great Falls, Montana) thanks to the Great Falls Development Authority
"This is a big win for Great Falls. We had to come together quickly on this project, and it took a collaborative effort on behalf of GFDA, the city, the state as well as others to ensure that we put our best foot forward in attracting EMTEQ to Great Falls over the competing cities," said Jeremiah Johnson, vice president-marketing, Great Falls Development Authority http://www.gfdevelopment.org/
Missoula Schools Excellence
- Missoula Economic Partnership - Progress in plan to lure business
When it comes to attraction efforts then, it pays to be very planned in whom you target and how.
Hellgate Venture Network
- Missoula, Montana's Valley Christian students get electronics education
"They learn that what we do in class, we can apply to the world around us," said Simmert, who is a retired electrician and is in charge of the only full-on electronics class in Missoula County
- Hellgate Venture Network RE-SCHEDULED: "Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Business Intelligence", 2/2, Missoula
Joe Garrett, President of Inteneo Systems http://www.inteneosystems.com/index.htm is our speaker and will tell us everything you ever wanted to know about Business Intelligence but were afraid to ask (in around 10 minutes, followed by Q&A!).
Come Home Montana
- See Yellowstone from the comfort of a captain's chair
Climbing back into the warm womb of the van, the wind howls, blowing snow against the trunk of a lifeless tree standing alone in the foreground of a largely empty landscape. The tree serves as a reminder of Yellowstone's harsh climate during snowy months, and although it may be slow going, captain's chairs, a heater and a knowledgeable guide make a snowcoach an enjoyable way to see the park in the winter.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Staff Accountant - Alps
The staff accountant is responsible for producing all aspects of financial statements, with an emphasis in Non-Profits, and providing excellent customer service to subsidiaries and clients.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Developer - The Square Marketing
The Square Marketing is a small marketing agency that designs and implements amazing websites, advertising campaigns and strategic solutions for our clients.
Montana Economic Development
- Customized Employment for People with Disabilities - Griffin Hammis Associates, LLC
Local Montana company Griffin-Hammis Associates showcases its approach to creating individualized employment for people with disabilities in this new video capturing their statewide efforts across Ohio.
- Sen Baucus' Montana Jobs Economic Engine: Bozeman's All American-Made Home Builder - Anders Lewendal
- Bozeman, Montana's RightNow completes merger with Oracle
The acquisition of the Bozeman-based technology company will improve Oracle's ability to provide its clients with consistent service for customers "across all channels and customer touch points."
- Billings365.com Promotes Billings, Montana from the Local's Perspective
Today, Billings365.com http://www.billings365.com/ , the popular online directory for events, dining, shopping and area attractions for the city of Billings, announced the addition of the all new Recreation section to the site.
Regional Economic Development
- Biofuels grant excites MSU-Northern
The $647,748 grant will contribute to the North Central Montana Renewable Industry Initiative, which, as the release states, "will commercialize green technology and create new high-skill, living-wage jobs. "
- Montana Governor Schweitzer in China to promote Montana exports
In a press release, Schweitzer said that he will be discussing potential export opportunities for Montana products, including wheat, durum, malting barley, hogs, platinum, palladium, copper and energy.
- TED Video: Gayle Tzemach Lemmon: Women entrepreneurs, example not exception
Women aren't micro--so why do they only get micro-loans? At TEDxWomen reporter Gayle Tzemach Lemmon argues that women running all types of firms-- from home businesses to major factories-- are the overlooked key to economic development.
Funding and Building your Business
- Suit claims Silicon Valley anti-poaching scheme
The case hinges on a practice described in court documents as "cold-calling." Under the practice, recruiters from one company will call an employee at another company who has the skills the company needs. The practice can lead to bidding wars as workers play the companies off one another to get the highest pay.
- Technology jobs booming like no other industry
The appetite for employees isn't showing signs of waning.
Incubators and R&D
- Mentors: A Young Entrepreneur's Secret Weapon
A good mentor helps you think through a business idea, suggests ways to generate that startup capital and provides the experience and savvy you're missing.
- 8 Key Elements Make Your Business Transformative
The best entrepreneurs always regroup after a failure, learn from prior mistakes, persevere, and launch a new venture with considerably improved odds of success.
Montana Education Excellence
- Cities Push the Business 'Start-up' Envelope
Okay, you've learned how to "incubate." But how do you "accelerate"?
Montana Education/Business Partnerships
- University of Montana Research Spurs Job Growth
"President Engstrom's announced the goal of getting up to $100 million," said Janson. "That's almost 50% more than where we are now. That's ambitious, but not unattainable."
- THE MONTANAN The Magazine of The University of Montana Winter 2012
I remember the first time I saw the Sigma Chi Bell. It was sitting in the bed of a white pickup truck in front of Brantly Hall on a banner fall day in 1998. It was impressive. And it was huge. Looking back, I'm not sure how the truck's rear axle didn't snap under the weight. But there it was, the legendary Sigma Chi Bell, back in Missoula for the first time in two decades.
- MSU accounting students offer free tax help
Senior and graduate accounting students from Montana State University's College of Business are offering free help preparing tax returns for MSU students and individuals who made less than $58,000 last year.
- Missoula, Montana's Loyola Sacred Heart High School speech, debate team wins 29th straight state tourney, continuing national record
The school earned the national record for the most consecutive state titles by sport or activity.
- University of Montana Offers Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program
VITA-certified UM student volunteers will complete free basic tax returns for those who make $50,000 or less annually. Appointments are not necessary, and tax help will be available on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Sponsors Needed for Montana Summer Schools Food Service Program
Through the Summer Food Service Program, meals are served to children who might otherwise go hungry and are often provided in conjunction with educational and recreational activities.
Developing an Angel Network in Montana
- Fashion franchiser "Uptown Cheapskate" : Utah student finds business success while still in school
She didn't let her own youth, or a lack of means and a degree, get in the way of her ambitions.
- More to business than just taxes, duty to nation
Global corporations that send jobs offshore may swear allegiance to the Almighty Dollar, but not necessarily to Washington.
- Murdoch's Ranch & Home Supply Selects Envysion as Exclusive Video Provider
Murdoch's http://www.murdochs.com/ , a general merchandise and ranch supply retailer, will utilize Envysion's MVaaS solution to improve loss prevention and merchandising efforts, increase HR efficiency in issue resolution and drive store-level profitability.
- The Coming Tech-led Boom - Three breakthroughs are poised to transform this century as much as telephony and electricity did the last.
In January 2012, we sit again on the cusp of three grand technological transformations with the potential to rival that of the past century. All find their epicenters in America: big data, smart manufacturing and the wireless revolution.
- How to Succeed as an Angel Investor
Finding a successful business to invest in is less about the actual business model and more about the owner of the business or the entrepreneur.
Oregon Economic Development
- Aerospace alliance forms in Idaho
The group has already taken on a strong North Idaho presence with all of its members from this area, but it is open to any aerospace firms statewide.
- Even tax-leery Idaho Gov. Otter supports Internet sales tax
Some estimate Idaho loses tens of millions annually in revenue, hurting schools and Main Street businesses whose products cost more because they're required to submit sales taxes.
- VentureBox Startup Accelerator Launches In Oregon
A new, startup accelerator effort, VentureBox, a new startup incubator in Bend, Oregon, said Friday that it has launched with seven startups in its program.
Connectivity & Communications
- Microsoft, DC government to partner on jobs training, economic development venture
Microsoft Corp. and the District of Columbia government are launching a venture to promote job training, economic growth and education in the nation's capital.
- Iowa Economic Development Authority director Debi Durham: Iowa needs more people
"We literally have to grow our state population," Durham said. "When you look at our slow growth, when you look at our aging population, when you have this baby-boom population that is eventually going to exit the workforce, we need people."
- Iowa leaders want to boost the state's offer to attract investors
Iowa business leaders, hoping to jump-start a proposed $100 million seed fund, are expected to ask lawmakers to sweeten the tax credits available to lure investors into backing startup companies.
Energy and Climate Change
- FCC Fiddles While Companies Block Calls
The failure to complete calls is not just an inconvenience; it is a threat to public safety and commercial businesses and jobs in Rural America.
- Would you like to write a column on technology for the Missoulian?
If you or someone you know has an interest in contributing to this column, please email a sample of your writing to [email protected]
- The future of Montana broadband must be a priority
Here in Montana we enjoy wide open vistas, clean air, starry nights and vast areas of low population. It is the attraction of Montana but may also be our bane if we do not have access to the same level of mobile broadband of our less fortunate city-dwelling cousins.
- Environmentalists laud California's electric-car mandate
Environmentalists are thrilled about California's adoption of the toughest, new clean-air regulations in the country that will mandate that one out of seven cars sold in 2025 are plug-ins or full electrics
- Save money with an energy audit
On-site home energy audits may include free installation of water heater wraps, low-flow shower heads, low-flow faucet aerators, and pipe wrap insulation on the first 10 feet of hot water pipe leaving the water heater. A customized usage report is sent to participating customers.
- Is Great Falls next for more Allegiant flights?
"Don't count Great Falls out for exciting flight news this year," Faulkner said. Airport and business groups have offered incentive packages to both Frontier and Southwestern airlines, and could hear in a few weeks if either low cost airline will add Great Falls flights to its summer schedule.
- Silver Airways Corp may offer flight between Helena and Billings
Mercer and Jensen agree that that flight path combining and Helena and Missoula offers the best chance to fill the 19-seat Beechcraft 1900D planes that Silver uses on its current Montana routes. Full seats are a big step towards a profitable airline operation. "I think it would be best if they did both cities,"
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page