|MATR Newsletter - Fri Dec 23, 2011|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
MATR Web services provided by:
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
"Never worry about numbers. Help one person at a time, and always start with the person nearest you." - Mother Teresa
Who do you know that may be a great candidate? - "Montana Career Opportunity - President - Missoula Economic Partnership" http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html
Globalization Partners International
21st Century Education Initiative - "You Should Care..."
- GPI's Vision for Technical Communications Future
We're happy to share this Adobe YouTube video, " Maxwell Hoffmann on Technical Communication and Adobe products" with you, so you can compare it with your own predictions for the coming year.
Great Falls Development Authority
- Missoula middle-schoolers teach Spanish to younger children
"You learn a lot more when you teach something than when you get it taught to you," said Spanish teacher Terry Hamilton, who founded "Spanish buddies" on that simple principle.
- High school 'empowerment and equality' club speaks to middle school students
Someone will always be prettier. Someone will always be smarter. Someone will always be skinnier. They will never be you.
- Report sets forth early learning recommendations
A comprehensive alignment of preschool through third grade (P-3) education is critical in ensuring that children develop a solid foundation in literacy, math, and social-emotional skills, according to a new report that offers recommendations for high-quality P-3 initiatives.
The Burton K. Wheeler Center
- The Great Falls Real Estate Coalition encourages you to invest a few minutes to take our survey about City/County development and business challenges.
The goal of the Coalition is to resolve challenges through communication, cooperation and negotiation with City and County officials.
Come Home Idaho
- Happy Holidays from the Wheeler Center!
"An informed people is the basis of, and a necessity for, successful democratic government. The people of the United States are entitled to hear all sides to a question..." - Burton K. Wheeler
Come Home Montana
- Idaho Career Opportunity - Controller - Idaho Forest Group
Primary responsibilities include prep of mnthly/qrtrly/yr-end financials & annual operating budgets, provide strategic support to plant mgr. & mgmt. team, & manage internal control & capital budget processes.
Developing Tech Jobs in Rural Communities
- Montana Career Opportunity - Administrative Specialist - Planning Bureau Chief Department of Commerce
The Division is looking for an experienced manager with extensive land use planning and community development experience, particularly in Montana.
- "You should be hear starting your company and living your dream" - Inc. magazine features Bozeman, Montana as a good place for tech startups
"For a number of tech startups, it's the Gallatin Valley - not the Silicon Valley - that offers the best environment for growth," the article states.
- Montana Career Opportunity - President - Missoula Economic Partnership
Missoula Economic Partnership (MEP) is looking for a charismatic, collaborative-minded executive to provide leadership and direction in developing, coordinating and implementing the economic development strategies for the newly formed Partnership.
- Montana State University begins search for new vice president of Administration and Finance
"MSU has an excellent reputation and this is a very dynamic and exciting position. The next vice president of Administration and Finance will play an important role in advancing the university."
- U.S. Population Migrates From Coasts for 'Gigantic' Income Boost
"A growing number of Americans are seeking a larger life in smaller places."
- Top 9 Rural Small Business Trends for 2012
Ruralsourcing brings more high-tech to rural areas.
Montana Economic Development
- NEMO Arms Acquires SI Defense of Kalispell, Montana
NEMO will be headquartered in a new facility south of Kalispell on U.S. Highway 93 that will officially open in January. An additional 23,000-square-foot facility for Sonju Industries' manufacturing operations and a firing range is planned, according to company officials.
- Laid-off IT worker pleads guilty to crashing Missoula company's computer system
"When employees (at Edulog) attempted to restore systems from backups, they found the backup servers had been erased."
Regional Economic Development
- Bear Paw Development Corporation of Northern Montana - Paw Prints Newsletter Winter 2011
For over thirty-five years, we have worked hard to serve the economic and community development needs of those who live and work in this special part of Montana.
- Senator Baucus Announces Montana Tech Investment for the Future of Montana Jobs - Funds from the 5th Economic Development Summit to Fuel Endowment for New PhD Program Proposal
"My thanks go to Montana Tech for their vision for the future of Montana jobs."
- Rethinking College Towns
The paradigm of guaranteed growth in college town USA is coming to an end.
- Local Dollars, Local Sense How to Shift Your Money from Wall Street to Main Street and Achieve Real Prosperity
Prepare to rethink everything you've learned about investing!
Funding and Building your Business
- Trends in Seed Stage Funding for Entrepreneurs
Since US angels are funding so many more seed stage deals than are VCs and investing so much less per seed stage deal, it does not appear there is much competition between angels and VCs. In fact, my sense is that in most regions, angels and VCs are cooperating and sometimes co-funding startups.
- The Funding Gap
There are several important sources of capital for entrepreneurs starting their businesses, depending on the stage of development of the company. The following table shows these sources:
Incubators and R&D
- Will 2012 Be the Year to Sell Your Small Business?
So with some optimism ahead, what should potential sellers be doing to prepare?
- Early-Stage Startups Need Friends, Family, and Fools
Here is a summary of some key items to think about as an entrepreneur before approaching friends, family, or even fools:
- Wayin Turns Your Opinion Into a Game
It doesn't take a giant leap to figure out how marketers might exploit a service like Wayin http://www.wayin.com/ , which provides instant feedback on a gaggle of topics.
- Kickstarted: How one company is revolutionizing product development
Kickstarter http://www.kickstarter.com/ projects span the creative fields of art, comics, dance, design, fashion, film, food, games, music, photography, publishing, theater and technology.
- Harness Creativity by Thinking Inside the Box
Forget getting your employees to think "outside of the box." Instead, use these four ways of challenging your team.
- Nuts & Bolts of Intellectual Property for New Startups
Now is a good time to look at the categories of intellectual property (IP) that are relevant to most startups.
- Many Entrepreneurs Suffer From the Peter Principle
The principle asserts that in a hierarchy, members are promoted so long as they work competently.
Montana Education Excellence
- Business incubators tap university talent
"Research and science parks help grow local, high-tech companies while attracting new ones to the region," said Harold Strong Jr., president of the Association of University Research Parks. "These parks are impacting their communities in a big way -- with high-wage jobs."
Montana Education/Business Partnerships
- Is summer vacation too long? Bozeman school task force starts research
The Bozeman School District task force that's looking into changing the school calendar for Bozeman's 5,800 students is ready to dig into research on alternatives like year-round schools and longer school days.
- 2012 Youth Serve Montana Scholarships Available to High School Seniors
Students who apply and qualify may receive $1,000 dollars toward continued education at one of Montana Campus Compact's twenty public, tribal, private, community, or technical colleges and universities.
- Montana Board of Regents tap one of their own, current chairman Clayton Christian, for top spot to succeed Sheila Stearns
"In the board's view, because a tremendously qualified candidate surfaced so early in the search process, there is no need to protract the process further."
- Montana Association of GIS Professionals (MAGIP) grant and scholarship opportunites
MAGIP's Higher Education Scholarship and K-12 Educational GIS Applications grant.
- Computers 4 Kids gives 15 Montana students a computer for Christmas
For the past decade, Computers 4 Kids http://www.computers4kidsinmontana.org/ has taken donated computers and cleaned and rebuilt them to give to children and individuals who otherwise wouldn't be able to afford them.
Oregon Economic Development
- Idaho Falls' billion-dollar business: Melaleuca tops sales milestone
Melaleuca says it's the first company ever in eastern Idaho to reach a billion dollars in annualized revenue.
- Idaho slow to open checkbook to attract industry - Other states cut into our competitiveness with their lavish incentives.
The state doesn't need to lead the nation in handing out extras for companies to expand or come here.
- Two Portland Incubator Experiment members land investment backing as Portland tech incubator graduates its first class
The investments are another hopeful sign for Oregon's entrepreneurial community, which is enjoying its best funding year since the dot-com era. It's also a plus for PIE, which is about to begin recruiting candidates for its second class.
Utah Economic Development
- Utah World Trade Center - Global Utah Weekly Newsletter
World Bank Executive Director Will Visit Utah, Share Global Business Opportunities
- Wireless Charging for Electric Vehicles a Reality, Researchers Say - Inductive Chargers Juice up Electric Vehicles
Researchers at Utah State University's Energy Dynamics Laboratory (EDL) say they have perfected "wireless power transfer technology" featuring charging pads embedded in concrete.
Washington State Business
- University of Utah Reveals Its Secret Sauce for Startups
This year the U of U spun off 18 tech newbies.
- Voyager Capital Aims for $125M in New Fund
Voyager focuses on clean IT, digital media, software, and wireless.
- Exploring an Angel Conference in Seattle
This would be an Oregon-style Angel conference, where an LLC was formed of new and experienced Angel Investors, and the winner of the event would walk away with an investment of something on the order of $200,000.
- Wyoming asks national Idaho National Laboratory to review coal plant
It would use a proprietary process to transform coal mined underground at the site into 10,600 barrels of gasoline per day to serve the Denver market.
- Wyoming broadband survey looking for service gaps
"What we're trying to do with this survey is identify the needs and the adequacy of broadband. If there are needs for faster Internet or different services, we're hoping it will be identified through this survey."
Connectivity & Communications
- Polson, Montana wins $100,000 grant to preserve small-city character
"Everyone is excited," said Darlis Smith of Polson, a community foundation board member. "In two years, I think you'll see a lot of changes, and have even more reasons why living here is great."
- Helena, Montana woman starts effort for 'playable' special-needs playground
The last day to vote in the contest is Dec. 31. People interested in voting can visit http://www.refresheverything.com/helenas-playable-playground.
- Helena, Montana's 'psychological economy' improving
"People have hope, and they have strength, and they want to move forward," McHugh told us. "We're in a position for good things to happen."
- TWELVE new grant announcements
Energy and Climate Change
- What is SOPA and how does it work? The Stop Online Piracy Act explained - Over 40 Internet Companies Come Out Publicly Against SOPA
SOPA is a law borne of the blind logic of revenge: the movie studios can't punish foreign pirates, so they are attacking the internet instead.
Cool Stuff That's Coming
- HHS releases more than $845 million to states to help low-income households with energy costs
Individuals interested in applying for energy assistance should contact their local/state LIHEAP agency.
- Tesla unveils details, prices of Model S electric sedan
Tesla has set its sights on getting its Model S to compete against the best luxury cars, not just electric cars.
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page