|MATR Newsletter - Fri Apr 29, 2011|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
MATR Web services provided by:
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
“Rural America should demand to be front and center on everyone’s game plan for the entrepreneurship and pioneering that our Nation needs. It’s a great place to live. It’s a great place to work. And, it’s a great time to do both. Welcome to The New Rural.” Diane Smith “TheNewRural.Com,” http://matr.net/articl ... .html
AND THE WINNERS ARE... 34th Annual International Wildlife Film Festival, 5/7-14 in Missoula, Montana http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html --- Burton K. Wheeler spring conference, 'The Cost of Water,' in Glasgow, 5/9-10 http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html --- Missoula BarCamp 2011, 5/21, Missoula, Montana http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html --- 70 high school performers celebrate MCT milestone - 'East Broadway Rocks' http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html
21st Century Education Initiative - "You Should Care..."
- CBS Evening News - Early education investment shows big dividends
"The evidence is really clear...pre-school makes a big difference...by itself it can cut school failure in half."
- 21st century teaching tools: Butte schools showcasing high-tech learning aides
"We're trying to turn our classrooms into interactive learning centers using a variety of tools," Jonart said. "This is their world and frankly they're very comfortable in this electronic world -- that's what we're trying to offer them."
- Simple Quiz Speeds Diagnosis of Autism in Infants
A brief screening in a pediatrician's office can detect autism-like symptoms in children as young as 12 months old, giving them an important head start on treatment.
- Jeb Bush Leads Broad Push for Education Change With 'Florida Formula'
With the dust settling on legislative sessions around the country, 2011 is shaping up as one of the most consequential years in memory for changes in the way schools are run.
Highway 12 Ventures
- Missoula BarCamp 2011, 5/21, Missoula, Montana
Missoula BarCamp asks the questions: What do you want Missoula to be? Where do you want it to go? How do you want to get there?
City Club Missoula
- TechBoise Open Coffee Club
What are our expectations for TBOCC? That as a result, the motivated folks engaged in the startup and creative communities of Boise will gather regularly and more frequently, share ideas, build strong relationships and work more closely with each other.
The Burton K. Wheeler Center
- The Power of Partnerships
The answer: By getting the right people together.
- Rehberg tells Missoula City Club cutting debt takes priority
The Republican's answers didn't sit well with many of the 110 people gathered.
Come Home Montana
- Burton K. Wheeler spring conference, 'The Cost of Water,' in Glasgow, 5/9-10
The conference will explore the future of water in Montana, and how changes could affect the important resource.
Three Cups of Tea - The Central Asia Institute
- Montana Career Opportunities - Photonics Engineer / Optical Scientist Computer Engineer, Electrical Engineer - Bridger Photonics
We seek technical background and expertise in Physics (Optical and Laser) and Engineering (Photonic, Electrical, Mechanical, Manufacturing, and Computer).
- Greg Mortenson's climbing partner defends him
Darsney writes that Mortenson's good works should not be discredited by "some journalistic faux pas in the retelling of a story from ten years previous" and compares what's happening to "throwing the baby out with the bathwater."
Montana Economic Development
- Leadership Montana promotes 'what's right with Montana'
The campaign, called "What's right with Montana" is a project of Leadership Montana, a statewide group designed to foster leadership and business and policy education.
Regional Economic Development
- Montana Transportation and Land Use Resources for Growing Communities
The Montana Department of Transportation (MDT) recognizes that the effective coordination of transportation and land use planning decisions is vital to Montana's long-term economic growth and fiscal well-being.
- EDA and Partners Commit $33M to Grow Regional Innovation Clusters
"This cluster concept is so important... When you get a group of people together, and industries together, and institutions like universities together around particular industries, then the synergies that develop from all those different facets coming together can make the whole the greater than the sum of its parts." -President Barack Obama, Cleveland State University Winning the Future Forum; February 22, 20ll
Business Plan Forums
- Bill Payne - Financing Startups - A New Workshop for Entrepreneurs
A new ½-day workshop for entrepreneurs: Financing a High-Impact Venture (in Montana).
- YouPitch: 60-Second Startup Pitches From Students Around World
That's why we at the MIT $100k Entrepreneurship Competition http://www.mit100k.org/ have launched YouPitch http://www.mit100k.org/contests/youpitch/ , an elevator pitch contest that's based entirely on YouTube and open to students from across the world.
Developing Funding Opportunities in Montana
- Skip the MBA if Entrepreneur is Your Lifestyle
3. If you have a technical career with no business background, and you want to start your own business, an MBA can be a blessing by giving you the basic knowledge you need to manage your business.
- TED Video: Kathryn Schulz: On being wrong
"Wrongologist" Kathryn Schulz makes a compelling case for not just admitting but embracing our fallibility.
- By Popular Request: Individual Leadership Development Plan Examples
So for all of you terminally busy, impatient, and quick-study leaders, here are two examples of leadership development IDPs.
- 30 Exercises and Tips for Career Change or Advancement.
Interview someone with a great job (called an "informational interview")
- Montana Career Opportunities - Customer Care Specialist, System Administrator, Customer Engagement Manager - Modwest
Modwest is proud to provide hosting for customers of all sizes and from all over the world.
Funding and Building your Business
- Most US startups funded by entrepreneurs not banks or VC firms
Over the past two decades, firms less than two years old accounted for about one-fourth of gross job creation even though such enterprises employed less than 10% of the workforce.
Montana Education/Business Partnerships
- Incentives for employers to hire people with disabilities
A business with $1 million or less in gross receipts for the prior year or with no more than 30 employees during the past year is eligible for the Targeted Jobs Tax Credit, which is 50 percent of expenditures made to comply with requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act. The tax credit ranges from $250 to $10,250.
- Old guys can and do rule when it comes to startups
"I've got a message for all the Silicon Valley venture capitalists who think a CEO is over the hill after age 40. Old guys rule... they are far more likely to be the founder of a successful technology company than most of you understand....
- New West Festival Seeks Entrepreneurs
Test your elevator pitch with a venture capitalist during our conference May 5-6 in Missoula.
- Five Things Every Entrepreneur Should Know About Angel Investors
Angels invest in people, more often than they invest in ideas.
- MBA Student Starts New "Suit" Program at UM - "A Single Suit"
If you have business professional clothing that you are interested in donating, contact Kathleen Tarkalson at 406-243-6771.
- A Star is Born at Dunrovin Ranch
Alex Pollini earnestly implored me to provide a horse for him to use in a film he was producing as part of his program at the School of Media Arts.
Oregon Economic Development
- Al Gore's Favorite Waste-to-Energy Company On Deck for Xconomy May 19 Event
You'd never know it, but one of the brains behind one of Al Gore's favorite alternative fuel companies is right here in Seattle, and will be making a rare public appearance at our next big event May 19.
- Gov. John Kitzhaber says small business, 'economy of innovation' will lead Oregon out of recession
"We have a huge opportunity here."
Alberta Business and Economic Development
- Preventis Medical Launches New Technology to Prevent Infections in Premature Infants
Breakthrough is based on invention from Intermountain Healthcare
Missoula Children's Theatre
- Alberta headed for 'perfect storm' in worker shortages
Lukaszuk says the province's low birthrate, burgeoning economy and anticipated baby boomer retirements will result in a labour shortage that will affect all businesses if ways are not found to keep "mature workers" -- over age 55 -- working longer.
- 70 high school performers celebrate MCT milestone - 'East Broadway Rocks'
MCT Community Theatre presents "East Broadway Rocks" April 29-May 1, May 4-8 and May 11-15.
- The Story of State Recovery - A Successful Economic Development Plan
You get places faster when you know where you're going. by Alan Korwin
Connectivity & Communications
- 1,000 New Gardens - Helping Bozeman and Missoula Get Off Their Grass Since 2009
Are you a new gardener? Would you like some help?
Energy and Climate Change
- A Suitcase-Sized Portable Cell Tower for Emergency Responders
AT&T has released a portable cell site to serve in disaster situations that is small enough to fit into a suitcase, giving first responders another communications tool when regular communications channels are offline.
- First woman elected president of the American Bar Association tells University of Montana audience that lawyers must use social media with caution
"Do more face-to-face instead of Facebook-to-Facebook," she said. "Too much technology blunts our senses to pain and injustice."
- Governor Schweitzer's Energy Intern
The internship program is an academic program that enables college students to participate in energy-related work experiences as part of their academic training.
The Creative and Cultural Economy
- Fostering an Innovation Culture
New York City is not unique in facing the challenge of managing large IT projects -- the federal government is trying to improve IT management as well.
- AND THE WINNERS ARE... 34th Annual International Wildlife Film Festival, 5/7-14 in Missoula, Montana
"Even the world's greatest scientists proclaim that conservation must be a part of wildlife films. If anything, there were too many great films that the judges had to choose from." Janet Rose
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page