|MATR Newsletter - Tue Nov 9, 2010|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
MATR Web services provided by:
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
"The (climate) problem is global but it will be resolved by individuals." Gov. Brian Schweitzer
"As the Legislative Finance Committee (LFC) is very aware, the next legislative session will be a very challenging one due to the projected long-term imbalance between on-going revenues and on-going costs of maintaining current services of government." This is the best time to contact your elected officials to let them know your thoughts on the upcoming issues in the 2011 Montana Legislature. Here are excellent way to find out what is proposed and the implications for the decisions that will be made. "State of Montana 2011 Legislative Reference Book" http://matr.net/articl ... .html --- "United Way Of Missoula And Ravalli Counties: "Legislative 101", 11/15, Missoula, Montana" http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html --- "Too many Montana students must play catch up when they go to college" http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html --- "Our children aren't ready for jobs of the future" http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html
Globalization Partners International
Highway 12 Ventures
- Top 7 Tips for Effective Chinese copywriting
Quality Chinese translation on your website goes beyond simple translation of words and sentences.
Come Home Idaho
- Highway 12 Ventures Portfolio News | October 2010
Diabetic Connect http://www.alliancehealth.com/ is the largest social network for diabetics, and now the 35th most visited health website.
Come Home Montana
- Idaho Career Opportunity - Director, Urban Renewal Agency - Heyburn, Idaho
"You know in order to be competitive with other cities you have to have tools in place."
Developing a more Entrepreneurial Montana
- Historic buildings, residents' attitude among factors luring investors to Great Falls, Montana
"What impressed us was how many people here in Great Falls love the town."
- Montana Career Opportunity - Manager, NERC Compliance - PPL Montana
Directs the NERC compliance activities associated with PPL Montana (PPLM) and EnergyPlus West (EPLUW) achieving and demonstrating compliance with North American Electric Reliability Council (NERC) Legacy Reliability Standards and Cyber Security Standards as well as additional NERC approved regional standards promulgated by the Western Electricity Coordinating Council (WECC).
- Montana Career Opportunity - Executive Assistant - Montana State Fund
Montana State Fund http://www.montanastatefund.com is looking for a self-motivated and effective team member to provide administrative support of a complex confidential and responsible nature to the Chief Information Officer.
- Montana Career Opportunities - Engineering Manager, Technical Sales Engineer, Manufacturing Engineer - ILX Lightwave
ILX Lightwave http://www.ilxlightwave.com in Bozeman, Montana http://www.bozeman.org/ is a market and technology leader in providing high performance test and measurement solutions for people who work with laser diodes and other photonic components and is currently searching for self starters for the following positions
- Montana Career Opportunity - Professional Software Application Consultant - J&H, Inc.
Webinars, tech support, documentation, and sales via web meetings to established national dealer organization.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Operations Manager - American Prairie Foundation
The Operations Manager oversees all internal systems, processes, leads human resources and manages the staff structure in support of APF's values and mission.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Software Engineer III - Montana State Fund
Montana State Fund http://www.montanastatefund.com is a progressive workers' compensation insurer that utilizes a multi-functional team structure to provide exceptional products and services to its customers.
Missoula Public Schools Excellence
- Peter Thiel Has New Initiative To Pay Kids To "Stop Out Of School"
The basic gist is that he will fund up to 20 kids under the age of 20 who apply for this grant. His hope, obviously, isn’t to ruin their lives, but instead to find the best minds thinking about big things early in life. This is where true disruption comes from, Thiel believes.
- New head of Missoula teachers union wants 'boots on the ground' working with 21st Century Initiative
"Alex Apostle has been very forthright with me and accessible, so we've had some good, honest conversations," said Bishop, who took the reins of the county's largest teachers union just two weeks ago. "The direction we want to go is one that will meet the goals of the district and make working conditions positive."
- Improve math and science standards for 21st century education
In the United States, almost 30 percent of people holding engineering and sciences degrees are 50 years or older and will soon retire. Americans now pursuing engineering degrees have decreased 20 percent since 1985. In contrast, students seeking engineering degrees in China and India have doubled since 2005. I see firsthand education affecting my profession, our ability to hire qualified staff and our country's ability to compete in the global market place.
- Antibiotics Research Subsidies Weighed by U.S.
Worried about an impending public health crisis, government officials are considering offering financial incentives to the pharmaceutical industry, like tax breaks and patent extensions, to spur the development of vitally needed antibiotics.
Montana Economic Development
- Nomad Global Communication Solutions of Columbia Falls, Montana Delivers First Disaster Response Vehicles to Corps of Engineers
By emphasizing innovation, quality and dependability, Schmautz said Nomad has managed to rise above other companies in the Corps' competitive bidding process.
- Montana sues online travel companies over taxes
Montana http://www.mt.gov sued more than a dozen online travel companies on Monday, claiming the companies shortchange the state on hotel taxes.
- Bozeman, Montana -based RightNow Technologies added to S&P SmallCap 600
"That really increases the potential for our stock to be an investment for more people in the U.S.," Jeff Davison, chief financial officer for RightNow, said Monday.
Regional Economic Development
- Opportunity Link, Inc - Upcoming events and opportunities in Northcentral Montana
We want to make sure that you don't miss these upcoming events and opportunities in Northcentral Montana. Learn how to access resources, services and clean energy funds to green your home, business or work. You can also learn how to apply for funds to start and expand your business!
- Whitehall, Montana Business Park helps prepare for long-term economic solutions
Creating this shovel-ready space for businesses to start and grow is the cornerstone of our economic sustainability plan for the area.
- Increased funding for Market Development Cooperator Program (MDCP) Awards
The funds will be awarded to trade associations and other partners, or cooperators.
Funding and Building your Business
- Idaho-based electric lineworkers college, Northwest Lineman College expands to Texas
The U.S. Department of Energy predicts the country will need almost 60,000 miles of distribution line to accommodate all the renewable and traditional energy projects planned to accommodate the countryâ€™s growing energy needs, he said. Meanwhile, much of the transmission infrastructure in use today is 50 to 80 years old.
Incubators and R&D
- Tech award winners quietly expect to make world a better, safer place
An underlying theme of the program is to help nonprofits and for-profit social entrepreneurs develop sustainable financial models that can expand their work to other regions.
- One on One: Greg Gianforte of RightNow - Sales is Number 1
Welcome to another in our One on One series of conversations with some of the most thought-provoking entrepreneurs, authors and experts in business today.
- How to Score Press Coverage
Q. How can I get the press to cover my service? How do you find something interesting enough about your service to get media attention?
- Ten Top Techniques For Startup Valuation
"What is your company's valuation?"
- What should a small business' website do?
Here, then, are the 7 Deadly Small-Business Website Mistakes that you must avoid.
Montana Education Excellence
- Smokejumping and the Science of Megafires - the Fire Science Lab in Missoula, Montana
Popular Mechanics visited the Fire Science Lab http://www.firelab.org/ at Missoula, Mont. -- the birthplace of "smokejumping" and the largest fire research lab in the world -- to get a glimpse of how fire fighters use vast amounts of data, technology and some high-risk DIY to defeat tomorrow's conflagrations.
- Sixth Annual Griz For Kids Toy Drive, 11/13, University Of Montana
Fans can drop off new, unwrapped toys at all entrances to Washington-Grizzly Stadium before the Griz game against the University of North Dakota. Those unable to attend the game can make cash donations at all Missoula Federal Credit Union locations. All gifts are tax-deductible.
- Too many Montana students must play catch up when they go to college
More than four out of 10 Butte High School students who go on to Montana's public universities are not fully prepared for college, according to a state report.
- University of Montana President Royce Engstrom addresses Montana Tech's College of Technology education concerns
Engstrom is in favor of continued funding for the Montana Digital Academy that "levels the playing field" for all students by giving them access to classes online that they can't receive in their current high schools.
- Missoula schools report big increase in hungry, homeless students
Across Missoula County - and the state - the number of children who rely on school just for food is depressingly big, and getting bigger.
- Change in wind for Montana's University system
The state university system has lots to offer Montana students. With new leadership, it's time to open the floodgates so that no student who desires a higher education is denied.
- University of Montana working on 'big ideas curriculum'
Students may soon see a change in the way general education courses are taught at The University of Montana, and could have the opportunity to focus on a specific topic that is woven throughout their education.
Washington State Business
- Technology Transfer
I thought that this Blog article should focus on this very important and strategic element in expanding U.S. entrepreneurial development.
2011 Montana Legislature
- Gov. Gregoire says BMW's Moses Lake, Washington factory may double in size, jobs
BMW and a German manufacturing partner could double the size of a facility now under construction in Moses Lake as the need grows for more carbon-fiber parts in cars, Gov. Chris Gregoire said on Friday.
- State of Montana 2011 Legislative Reference Book
This document contains an initial listing of options compiled by the Legislative Fiscal Division (LFD) for Legislative Finance Committee (LFC) review, direction, and comment, and eventually for legislative consideration in the 2011 Legislative Session to help balance the state's general fund budget.
- United Way Of Missoula And Ravalli Counties: "Legislative 101", 11/15, Missoula, Montana
"LEGISLATIVE 101" will familiarize you with the basics of the state legislative process how to keep tabs on bills from the comfort of your home or office how you, your organization, your stakeholders and your clients can get more involved in the policymaking arena.
- Our children aren't ready for jobs of the future
No business could survive if a third of its products were defective. Our region can't expect to succeed, either, if 30 percent of our workforce lacks basic skills.
- Matching kids with adults who live their dream - Spark Apprenticeships
Spark apprenticeships http://www.sparkprogram.org/ offer weekly, semester-long, one-on-one workplace experiences that bring economically disadvantaged teens into contact with a world they have probably only imagined.
- 3 (including former University of Montana President George Dennison) vie to be interim Colorado State University-Pueblo president
Dennison retired in August from his alma mater, the University of Montana, after 20 years as the president.
- Wising Up on STEM Completion - A resource to support women in STEM: CareerWISE
For students studying science and engineering, gender is the biggest predictor of completion.
- Western Governors University Online Nursing Programs Earn Top Ten Ranking from GetEducated.com
The reviewers ranked WGU as one of the top ten most affordable programs for graduate students seeking to further their nursing education online.
- Fighting Bullying With Babies
Imagine there was a cure for meanness. Well, maybe there is.
- Commerce Department, venture capital could be first targets for change
'Let's have a strategy for the Department of Commerce and let's have a strategy for the Department of Revenue that supports our economic development strategy,'
Connectivity & Communications
Energy and Climate Change
- Marc Andreessen invests in new browser that incorporates latest trends in Web technology - RockMelt
Marc Andreessen helped bring the World Wide Web to the masses by developing the Mosaic browser. Now, more than 17 years later, a company he's backing thinks it's time to rethink the browsing experience.
- Heroes wanted in climate science story
"Scientists, academics, and politicians on the left, do not do stories very well," says Harvard political scientist Michael Jones, who earlier this year led a Policy Studies Journal report on the use and misuse of narrative in policymaking. "You have to tell a story, though, if you want people to retain information."
- How the Smart Grid Opportunity Looks a Lot Like the Internet Once Did
I see myriad opportunities for tech entrepreneurs to transition to energy.
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page