|MATR Newsletter - Tue Nov 2, 2010|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
MATR Web services provided by:
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
"The best things in life arenâ€™t things." - Art Buchwald
"Bad politicians are sent to Washington by good people who don't vote." William Simon - PLEASE GET OUT AND VOTE TODAY!
Globalization Partners International
City Club Missoula
- How to Make Your Website Ready for International Business
(1) Internationalize your website content
MSU Leadership Institute
- Bitterroot Humanities info
Everyone 'transports.' Yet when it comes to transportation in Montana there are three points to consider before any substantive discussion can take place.
- MSU Leadership Institute - Award-Winning Director To Discuss "Standing On My Sister's Shoulders", 11/10, Bozeman, MT
The documentary Standing on My Sister's Shoulders takes place in Mississippi highlighting the lives of a few courageous women whose actions forever changed the direction of the United States during the Civil Rights Movement.
Come Home Montana
- Since inception, TechRanch has worked with over 60 companies across Montana.
Many of these firms have gone on to secure major government grants, license technology to industry, employ individuals in high paying, clean technology jobs and best of all, develop products that fill market needs resulting in positive net income year after year.
MEDA -Montana Economic Developers Association
- For This And Future Generations: Montana's 1972 Constitutional Convention
In mid-winter 1972, 100 grassroots delegates and a staff of some of the best and brightest young people under the Big Sky, gathered in Helena for what many would recall as the proudest time of their lives.
- Linsey Corbin - Montana Made Professional Ironman Triathlete Finds Happiness in Missoula
While the training is epic in Montana, the most important thing I get out of living in Missoula is happiness.
Developing a more Entrepreneurial Montana
- Summary of the Rural Seminar Policy meeting in Billings, Montana 10/26/10
Where does Rural Montana fit in the Urban-centric World of Washington DC?
- Montana Economic Developers Association November newsletter and...
Those working in the economic development field hold the power to make the rural voice heard.
- 5 Myths About Becoming An Entrepreneur
Steve Tobak over at The CBS Business Network says not to quit your day job yet.
- The 11 Harsh Realities Of Being An Entrepreneur
By knowing the harsh realities that lie ahead, you can be prepared when they come about so you can solider on.
Montana Economic Development
- TerraEchos of Missoula, Montana Receives Frost & Sullivan's 'New Product Innovation of the Year' Award
TerraEchos received the honor for its Adelos S4(TM) fiber-optic sensor solution, which was singled out for its innovative nature, use of leading-edge technology, and value to the customer.
- Tax Foundation Ranks Montana 6th Best Business Tax Climate
"I've worked hard to run the state like a business and keep our finances sound. We are going to have to tighten our belts and continue to challenge every expense. I am committed to living within our means. Unlike 48 other states, we are not going to have to raise taxes to pay our bills." Gov. Brian Schweitzer
- Credit crunch in Montana? Banks say they have money to lend
Oberlander says he's not alone. Other business owners he knows have been turned down by bankers who say they're not taking on any new customers at this time.
- Harlo, Montana's online ticket company, TicketPrinting.com, stays ahead of the curve
"It's almost like Amazon, only it's tickets."
- Whitefish-based Algae Aquaculture Technologies receives $350,000 grant from the Montana Department of Environmental Quality
Once construction is completed, nine permanent jobs are expected to be created at the greenhouse.
- Western Montana InBusiness - Stepping up - David Glaser leading Missoula-based Montana Community Development Corporation into new state-wide ventures, partnerships
David Glaser has a glimpse of the future and he likes what is in store for the Missoula-based Montana Community Development Corporation: growth, opportunity and innovation.
- Montana's Disadvantaged Business Enterprises Newsletter for October
The U.S. Department of Transportation announced the expansion of an internship program designed to encourage young women to pursue careers in transportation.
- Western Montana InBusiness - Starting new - After Leading MCDC, Rosalie Cates looking forward to connecting social change with capital
"We have accomplished a lot."
- Montana Association of Community Development Extension Professionals: November 2010 E-Newsletter
The education gap among U.S. counties has been growing since the 1970s.
- Business Plans: Why Write Them? When to Use Them?
Never give your business plan to investors until they ask for it. Investors simply will not read your business plan until they express an interest in funding your company.
Funding and Building your Business
- Plug into a career in health IT at Montana State University - Great Falls
To address the training requirements of this emerging career path, MSU-Great Falls is offering a two track Health Informatics Technology professional certificate that can be completed in one semester.
- Transmission-line construction causing lineman shortage in North America
Many North American jurisdictions are looking at a similar flurry of transmission-line construction.
Montana Education Excellence
- The 6 Worst Answers To Give An Investor When They Ask, "How Is Your Company Different?"
There is no perfect answer to this question, but there are many wrong answers which will immediately jeopardize your credibility.
- 5 Year-End Survival Tips for Entrepreneurs
1. Retool your business plan.
- How to make your startup succeed where others have failed
Thirty seconds into my pitch for a system that lets users control the ads they see, I can tell that my audience gets it. The problem is clearly understood, the solution is simple, the use cases are well-defined, the market size is compelling. There's only one hitch: History says this effort won't succeed.
- 11 Ways Your Startup Can Deliver Support That Will Increase Sales
Here's what I've learned about preparing for support, how it decreases churn, and increases sales.
- The Smartphone Gets Smarter: Mobile Apps for Entrepreneurs
Although there are may apps, it is difficult to shift through the small-business apps that are actually useful and worth downloading. For this reason, Entrepreneur has created a list of the 25 most important apps available.
- Governor Schweitzer Awards Scholarship Funds to Flathead Valley Community College, Miles Community College, Dawson Community College
"Education is the key to a better future for all Montanans," Governor Schweitzer said. "These funds are a partnership between the State of Montana and Flathead Valley Community College to improve the local workforce, increase student retention, and make college more affordable."
- Research, creativity at University of Montana good use of resources
The University of Montana has a very diverse set of dynamic academic programs and thus offers students many opportunities to develop and grow intellectually outside of their major fields of study. Faculty research and creative activity have a positive impact on the educational process for undergraduate and graduate students as well as for off-campus service commitments.
- Recent Montana State University graduate, Dora Hugs, a teacher and Crow elder from Pryor, Montana, named top non-traditional student in the West
She also enrolled in MSU's Big Sky Science Partnership program, which is funded by the National Science Foundation and designed to strengthen K-8 science instruction by developing science content knowledge, teaching practice and leadership skills of science teachers in Montana communities that teach American Indian students.
- University of Arizona takes tech transfer private
The University of Arizona is making a shift to move at the speed of business by separating its technology transfer efforts into a separate nonprofit corporation; a move that should bring more research dollars, create more local jobs and create a better working relationship with the business community.
Washington State Business
- 1 million, and still cutting. Buck Knives hits landmark production number this year
The Post Falls factory produced knife No. 1 million of 2010 on Friday - and there are still two months left in the year.
- Gov. Gregoire to Gov. Perry of Texas: "Don't mess with Washington"
Like the worst of hunters, Perry doesn't know his target. Why, for example, solicit the head of three Seattle-based seafood companies? Who lands a salmon catch in Galveston? Does he fancy apple processors Stemelt and Treetop relocating to Amarillo? Or any one of several timber firms transplanting themselves to the Texas hill country?
- More tuition hikes sought for state universities
Yet again, the California State University trustees are poised to raise tuition - this time by 15.5 percent - when they meet in Long Beach two weeks from now.
- National Governors Association Center Report Provides Guidance to Governors for Building High-Quality Early Childhood Systems
Includes State Policy Options for Readying Young Children for Success in School and Life
Connectivity & Communications
Energy and Climate Change
- How I've Discovered Twitter Can Be a Resource, Not a Waste of Time
"If you're so busy, why do you spend so much time on Twitter?"
- Bugmenot.com allows you to "bypass compulsory registration" on websites
Cool factor: You don't have to reveal your intimate details just to watch the latest skateboarding dog video.
- Wi-Fi Direct Gadgets Could Revolutionize the Wireless World
This new technology will allow for consumers to easily connect to instant wireless networks without a need for "an intervening home network, hot spot, or access point."
- Now might be good time for a home energy audit
Now is a good time for an audit. Some energy-efficient upgrades may be eligible for up to $1,500 in federal tax credits, which are set to expire Dec. 31.
- Who had the best Stewart "Rally To Restore Sanity And/Or Fear" sign?
"Eschew Obfuscation - Please!"
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page