|MATR Newsletter - Tue Mar 27, 2007|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
MATR Web services provided by:
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
Events and Opportunities: "Montana Career Opportunity - CEO - S&K Technologies" http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html --- "Nominations sought for Montana Geotourism Map by National Geographic."http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html "City Club Missoula And Missoula Kiwanis Club Welcome Montana’s Senior Senator Max Baucus, 4/3, Missoula" http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html --- "More than 1,000 Register for Baucus' Montana Jobs Summit - April 30 - May 1, Butte, MT" http://matr.net/articl ... .html
Come Home Montana
- The Agurban from Boomtown Institute - Immigration History Repeats Itself
"One ugly trend which runs through American history is the hatred many native-born United States citizens show towards recent immigrants who come to this country to better their lives and chase the American Dream."
Developing a more Entrepreneurial Montana
- Montana Career Opportunity - Writer to Compile Regional Community Economic Development Strategy
The CEDS encompasses a four-county region including Flathead, Lake, Lincoln and Sanders Counties. Each county is currently conducting and compiling a county document in the prescribed format.
- Montana Career Opportunity - CEO - S&K Technologies
Economic development is central to our vision of a self-sufficient tribal community. By recognizing the preeminence of modern technology, S&K Technologies is looking to the future of our people.
Developing Tech Jobs in Rural Communities
- Plan for the Future™ Business Plan Competition for college and high school students.
The annual Plan For The FutureSM, a youth business planning competition designed to enhance the entrepreneurial capability and strategic planning expertise in the next generation of U.S. entrepreneurs, accepts entries from U.S. college and high school students.
- Help for Young Entrepreneurs
There are a slew of resources available regardless of whether businesspeople are just getting started or launching their umpteenth venture
- Got a great idea? You could be an inventor.
Nationwide contests help kids turn their sketches, brainstorms, and models into useful products.
Montana Education Excellence
- This is job recruiting? Businesses get more creative to woo top talent
With the competition for talented workers increasingly fierce, businesses across the nation are becoming ever more creative in their efforts to impress prospects.
- University of Montana joins global warming coalition
“I think it is important to do this because of what we have stood for all along,” Dennison said. “This institution is well known for its stance on protecting the environment and doing things in a rational and sensible way.
- Lights, camera, commercial. Havre High School students produce TV commercials
Four Havre High School media students are spending this school year creating television commercials that promote Havre Public Schools, gaining experience they can use after they graduate.
- The midterm results of the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation’s High School Honor Program (HSH) are now available.
The demands of college and work are dramatically different today than a generation ago, yet American high schools remain virtually unchanged.
- Welcome to the Website on State Education Reforms
According to the SER website, only eight states linked K-12 education data systems with state higher education databases during the 2005-06 school year. How did your state do?
Montana Economic Development
- Space for corporate board meeting or retreat for 18 to 20 people June 16 to June 23 at the Feathered Pipe Ranch in Montana
We invite you to join us for an unforgettable experience: a week at the Feathered Pipe Ranch. Located in the heart of the Montana Rockies, the ranch is one of the country's premier retreat centers. Surrounded by miles of forested mountains, the ranch is blessed with a sparkling lake, pristine water, clean air, abundant wildlife and healing plants that abound in this mountain paradise.
- First Montana company to offer workers comp coverage opens. Victory Insurance Company Inc.
"The more competitive choices in Montana that businesses have, the better off we all are," he said. "We exist to be a competitive force in the market place. It gives Montana employers more opportunity to shop around."
- Stillwater Mining Co. reshaping its future. "Sustainable"
"Really, we're trying to make sure our employees have jobs," said the mine's CEO. "How can we make this enormous resource continue to work for our workers, our state and our shareholders?"
- More than 1,000 Register for Baucus' Montana Jobs Summit - April 30 - May 1, Butte, MT
Free Economic Development Summit In Butte Generating Big Interest, Big Names
- Nominations sought for Montana Geotourism Map by National Geographic. http://www.crownofthecontinent.net
The National Geographic Society is developing a new type of community-based map for the Crown of the Continent region of southwestern Alberta, southeastern British Columbia, and northern Montana.
Funding and Building your Business
- Nanotechnology: The Future is Coming Sooner Than You Think
This paper discusses the range of sciences currently covered by nanotechnology.
- Pitch is vital for business success
If you're going to be successful getting your new business off the ground, you've got to know how to pitch.
- Keys to Retention - Managers want more autonomy and challenge.
To increase employee retention, more business leaders should challenge their subordinates and then leave them alone to do their jobs. And if businesspeople have confidence in their leaders (and are well compensated) they also will be more likely to stay.
- Email Marketing Tools That Are Easier to Use
For small companies, email can be a crucial marketing tool. Without a big marketing budget, small companies can use email to reach lots of customers quickly and cheaply, and easily customize their sales pitches to fit different customers' needs.
- Startup resources
If you're interested in starting a business, check out these key sites.
- The Fine Art of Meeting With an Angel Investor
Practical advice on when and how to pitch private investors for your business
- SeaCast expanding in Butte, Montana
"We've been watching the titanium industry," Ueland said, "and a group that wanted to exit the business contacted us and we acquired their titanium process.”
- Author to speak "What we call the economy - vast, global and fueled by cheap oil - is too big, too impersonal, too meaningless to survive in its current form."
“We're learning that more isn't better. Americans have more and more things, yet we're not as happy as we used to be. We're not lacking more stuff. We're lacking community. We're lacking happiness.”
- Butte helicopter school, Silver State Helicopters, offering classes in Helena
Silver State has hired four people to work in the Helena office. Instructors from Butte will conduct initial flight training in Helena, Krott said.
- Yellowstone makes popular videos. Sights, sounds of nation's 1st national park can now be downloaded
Yellowstone is one of the first national parks to produce its own mini-documentaries and make them available on the Web. Turns out, they're a hit.
- Pocatello, ID, looking to attract new airline
The city of Pocatello is looking to attract a new carrier to Pocatello Regional Airport following the planned departure of Big Sky Airlines on March 30.
- Idaho electricity cheapest in U.S.
Survey reports that residents pay just 6.12 cents per kilowatt hour for power, compared to the 23.36 cents paid by Hawaiians
- Supercomputer could foster super scientists
"We will have a magnet that will draw computational geoscientists from around the world to get a piece of the action," UW President Tom Buchanan said.
- Wyoming in top 10 of business-friendly states
Wyoming has been in the survey's top 10 since the study began in 2004. The study attributes Wyoming's high ranking to being a right-to-work state with no personal or corporate income taxes and having low operating costs for business.
Montana Education/Business Partnerships
- 'The Onion' brings its fake news to Web video
But on the Web, The Onion will be going up against several others who have already established themselves in comedy video, including Comedy Central's The Daily Show with Jon Stewart.
Business Plan Forums
- Montana Career Clusters Conference - Business And Education Developing A Vital Future Together, 6/27-29, Kalispell, MT
This is a conference should be attended by everyone interested in the future of Montana. Remember.... The State with the Best Education Wins!
- Contests help entrepreneurs focus. Submitting business plan for review can bring useful feedback
"And the sales pitch is half the battle. It forces you to articulate it in the way the common public can understand it. Even if you've got the best business model or idea, if you can't articulate it to the constituency of people you need, then what good is the idea?"
- Companies increasingly automate applications for jobs
Instead of reading your resume, an employer may ask you to fill out an online form or take an online test that measures how well you "fit" the job, based on responses from successful workers.
Connectivity & Communications
- Idaho geothermal producer wins utility contract
When you flip on a light switch this fall, at least a portion of the electricity powering the bulb may be from a geothermal source.
- A Cheaper Route to Speeding Up the Web
A new silicon-based optical device has the potential to improve the speed, cost, and reach of fiber-optic networks.
- Ex-Californians draw Westerners' ire. "All their fault, all the time."
"California has a negative influence on our society," he said, glancing around as cigarette smoke fills the stuffy place. "They should keep their world in their world."
City Club Missoula
- Grant to Expand Student State Leadership Opportunities Awarded by the National Association of State Boards of Education
Since civic education is a basic purpose of public schooling, we would be remiss as state educational leaders if we did not "practice what we preach" by instituting real opportunities for students to participate in their education and government decision-making," said Brenda Welburn, NASBE Executive Director.
- Saying Something Important? Three Questions to Ask Yourself First
People forget what you say, but they remember how you made them feel.
- Learning from Failed Political Leadership
What should business leaders know about the ambitions of Russia, China, and the European Union?
Cool Stuff That's Coming
- City Club Missoula And Missoula Kiwanis Club Welcome Montana’s Senior Senator Max Baucus, 4/3, Missoula
Space will be limited due to co-sponsorship of this event by City Club and Kiwanis.
- The Incredible Shrinking Engine
A new engine design could significantly improve fuel efficiency for cars and SUVs, at a fraction of the cost of today's hybrid technology. A vehicle that used this approach would operate around 25 percent more efficiently than a vehicle with a conventional engine.
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page