|MATR Newsletter - Fri Nov 9, 2018|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
"U.S. News ranked Wyoming 48th nationally for internet access and speed. Montana was 50th. North Dakota, South Dakota and Idaho were No. 2, No. 5 and No. 6. North Dakota is No. 2 and Montana is No. 50! What is that all about?" Kim Morisaki - Business development director at Montana West Economic Development --- What Can Politicians Really do to Create Jobs? --- http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html
Native Network and Microsoft announce agreement to deliver broadband internet to rural communities in Montana and Washington http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html
2018 Montana Politics
Montana Department of Commerce
- Thanks to all who ran for office
"This country is better than many thought. We just have to bring it the rest of the way." Rev. Al Sharpton
- You're invited to take the 2018 Montana SBDC Stakeholder's Survey!
In order to help us evaluate and strengthen our partnerships throughout the state, please complete 10 survey questions regarding your experience working with us.
- Apprenticeships mean opportunity at Northwestern Energy
As the labor relations analyst at NorthWestern Energy, I know it's important to have businesses and industries at the forefront of responding to Montana's worker shortage.
- NorthWestern Energy to Join Western EIM
The Butte, Mont.-based company said joining join CAISO's real-time balancing market will result in more efficient use of renewables, increased grid reliability and lower costs to customers.
Great Falls Development Authority
- Zoot Enterprises Wins Award For Early Childhood Excellence In Program Administration
The award recognizes the efforts of the Zoot Adventure Learning Academy (ZALA), which was opened in April to provide childcare for Zoot employees with children aged 0-5.
- GFDA Quarterly Investor Letter
Since then, we closed out our 16th fiscal year, made plans for FY2019, started new projects, secured more resources to put to work, and added three new team members.
VR/AR, Blockchain, Bitcoin, Artificial Intelligence and The Internet of Things
- SBA Announces Fiscal Year End Loan Activity for Montana
Figures released today by the SBA Monta na District Office show that during fiscal year 2018 (October 1, 2017 - September 30, 2018), SBA guaranteed 239 loans totaling $75,665,610.
Come Home Montana
- Unintended Consequences of the Upcoming Drone Apocolypse
We are within a decade of the autonomous drone swarm future. Our government is still apparently struggling to get voting machines to work consistently (although the cynical among us expect that the non-working voting machines are part of a deliberate approach to voter suppression in certain places.)
- An A.I. Just Outperformed 20 Top Lawyers (and the Lawyers Were Happy)
A new study highlights a major flaw in much of the usual 'Robots will take all our jobs!' style commentary.
- Montana Career Opportunities - Regional Client Development Specialist - Western Region, Regional Client Development Specialist - Denver, Regional Client Development Specialist - Seattle/Portland Areas and more... - Pulsara
At Pulsara you'll find a diverse team of incredibly passionate, talented, creative individuals whose aim is to build a product that ultimately improves patient outcomes for time sensitive emergencies.
- Tornado drops South Dakota tractor in Montana
"All the big pieces are in Montana."
Next Generation Broadband in Montana
- Pulsara Launches 12-Lead ECG Integration as Part of Expansive Integration Strategy
This integration refines coordinated treatment between EMS and the cardiology team; allowing for increased transparency and streamlined communication.
- Million Cups Missoula Meeting on November 14th, 28, December 5th and 19th.
Start your morning with coffee and start your business with 1MC Missoula, a place to percolate your startup. Entrepreneurship runs through it.
- Video: Agents of Change - Yellowstone Grassfed Beef - Under the Big Sky
Zachary Jones of Yellowstone Grassfed Beef believes that the key to sustainable ranching and farming begins beneath our feet, in the soil.
- Podcast - Is Gibson Guitars Ready for Its Encore?
This video will show you how the acoustic guitars of the famous brand are handmade in the factory of Bozeman, Montana
- Native Network and Microsoft announce agreement to deliver broadband internet to rural communities in Montana and Washington
In the United States, there are 19.4 million people living in rural areas that lack access to a broadband internet connection, including approximately 40 percent of people living in rural Montana
- Google's hometown passes new business tax to cope with rise in tech commuters
The initiative, Measure P, could generate as much as $6 million for the city's general fund, affordable housing services and efforts to ease traffic congestion
- Are 'culturally insensitive' incidents hampering Idaho recruitment efforts?
With Idaho's unemployment rate and college graduation rate so low, and with the state looking to newcomers to fill jobs, anything that discourages potential new residents is a problem, according to some local business leaders.
- Idaho WWAMI provides necessary service to address doctor shortage
The need for teaching our next generation of doctors is growing as fast as Idaho, and there's already a doctor shortage, especially in rural areas.
- The College of Idaho - Average Number of Students per Class - 17
#12 - Happiest Students As Ranked by the Princeton Review
Regional Economic Development
- Wells Fargo admits it incorrectly foreclosed on 545 homeowners it should have helped
The acknowledgment is sure to increase pressure on the San Francisco-based bank, which has been struggling to repair its image after a series of missteps.
Washington State Business
- November News for Smart Economic Developers
Although Business Retention and Expansion (BRE) has unfortunately remained in the shadow of the more glamorous economic development practice of Business Attraction, BRE has shown it is more effective when it comes to addressing the fundamentals of growing and sustaining a healthy local economy.
- Washington State Offers Session Focusing On New Tax Break - Opportunity Zones - 11/14-15 - Bell Harbor, WA
To help an army of accountants, attorneys, developers, and investment advisors get a better grasp of the unlikely new Federal tax tool that will allow the wealthy to make money while making a difference.
- Ag Explorer Virtual Field Trips allow career exploration
Taking students beyond their classroom's walls and helping them explore leading agricultural businesses across the country is the goal of the Ag Explorer Virtual Field Trips.
- How Wyoming's unlikely craft beer and liquor boom is rekindling a state's entrepreneurial spirit
The success of craft breweries and micro-distilleries in tiny towns and small cities across Wyoming suggests a cultural shift--and an alternative to extractive economics.
Montana Education Excellence
- Google gets girls into the game by designing apps for your mobile phone
The grand prize winner was an 11th grader from Vancouver, Washington, named Christina, and she received a $10,000 college scholarship and a $15,000 technology contribution to her school.
Montana Education/Business Partnerships
- Your Feedback on Computer Science K-12 Education Standards in Montana Is Requested
What skills and concepts should be the focus of computer science standards for Montana's K-12 students?
- Montana Educator Brings Mars Lesson Close to Home
This year, Montana took a leap toward bringing the Next Generation Science Standards to the state's K-12 teachers by kicking off its first state science teachers conference.
- Montana State University approves new strategic plan
Montana State University leaders voted today to approve a new strategic plan that will guide the university's efforts for the next seven years.
- UM Will Retain Most Programs Despite Slimmer Budgets
Under the plans submitted by the colleges and schools, the vast majority of UM's current academic offerings will continue.
- Montana uses data about job needs to help decide what colleges should teach
"Why haven't we been doing this all across the country?" asked Gov. Steve Bullock, who is also chairman of the National Governors Association. "It seems like common sense, but not enough states have done it."
- University of Montana researcher receives $10 million to develop a universal flu vaccine
The team's so-called "adjuvant system" will likely improve a wide variety of flu vaccines, Evans said. An adjuvant is a compound added to a vaccine to boost a flu response, he explained.
Universities and Economic Development
- The Greater Ravalli Foundation seeks to financially support the growth and development of Ravalli County's public education system.
Project Bitterroot - Do Something Greater Than Today
- University Economic Development Association membership selects 2018 leading best practices in university-based economic development
Finalists in Awards of Excellence Program Exemplify the Top Higher Education-Led Initiatives in Regional Economic Transformation
Funding and Building your Business
- Today's TED Talk -Why I have coffee with people who send me hate mail
Hundreds of "dialogue coffee" meetings later, Cekic shares how face-to-face conversation can be one of the most powerful forces to disarm hate -- and challenges us all to engage with people we disagree with.
The Creative and Cultural Economy
- The Ideal Board Meeting Blog Series
If you are a founder, CEO, investor, or outside director who is on a private company board, this is a must-read series.
- Why Companies Should Blow Up Best Practices
Today's accelerated speed of change means that business leaders need to ditch old habits and bring a fresh perspective to their operations if they want to get to the top and stay there.
- New Google Harassment Policy Falls Short of Worker Demands
The new guidelines instruct employees who run online forums to "play an active role in cultivating productive conversations."
Cool Stuff That's Coming
- Zootown Arts Community Center launches $4.25 million capital campaign
The nonprofit has raised almost $1.9 million of the $4.25 million goal that it hopes to reach by the end of the year as it proceeds with plans to move into its own building in downtown.
- Facebook and Google Sign on to Tim Berners-Lee's 'Contract for the Web'
Rampant online harassment and the spread of misinformation are ruining the web. A new campaign intends to change that.
- Deep learning algorithm detects Alzheimer's up to six years before doctors
The research is part of a new wave of work using machine learning technology to identify subtle patterns in complex medical imaging data that human clinicians are unable to pick up.
- Major improvements for the Montana state car - Halo Project spawns an all-electric, self-driving Subaru 4x4 fit for the apocalypse
The center believes its Halo Project work could eventually result in breakthroughs relevant to military, agriculture, and search and rescue, along with personal commuting.
- 5 Things EMS Providers Need to Know About Autonomous Vehicles
How will self-driving cars interact with ambulances? Will ambulances themselves become autonomous?
- Numetric Announces New Analytical Tools for Road Safety
Numetric, a Utah-based traffic safety analytics company, has new software to help departments of transportation plan smarter solutions to road safety issues.
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page