|MATR Newsletter - Tue Jul 31, 2018|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
Welcome to Montana. When it's hot please dress for the body you have and not the body you wish you had. Thanks
The 2018 Innovate Symposium is the first statewide event entirely focused on giving early stage ventures actionable insights to get to market and grow their companies. 8/9 in Billings - http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html
2018 Montana Politics
Montana Governor's Office of Economic Development
- Festival @ Griz Stadium -Before The Pearl Jam Concert - 8/13 - Missoula, Montana
There will be a variety of interactive arts activities and an entertainment stage curated by the Zootown Arts Community Center 501(c)(3) and Forward Montana which will showcase a diverse array of local artists, musicians, activists, and other speakers.
- I-186 headed for November vote, requiring water cleanup guarantee for new mines
This November, Montanans will decide whether mining companies need to meet a higher bar when it comes to protecting the state's water.
Great Falls Development Authority
- Innovate Montana Symposium Invitation For Early-Stage Businesses - 8/9 - Billings
This is a must attend event for Montana's businesses and future entrepreneurs.
Montana Office of Tourism & Economic Development
- Here is our Top 10 for last week, celebrating work and successes to grow and strengthen the Great Falls regional economy.
We are HUNGRY to Grow the Great Falls regional economy, create higher wage jobs, build our tax base, improve our market competitiveness, and enhance the quality of life and economic opportunity for residents of Great Falls, Cascade County, and the entire 13-county Great Falls trade area.
21st Century Education Initiative - "You Should Care..."
- Video: Data driving new ways to welcome visitors to Montana
There's a lot more here outside of Yellowstone and Glacier.
- It's time to change our learning model
From redesigning structures to transforming learning models, fearless educators are leading the way
VR/AR, Blockchain, Bitcoin, Artificial Intelligence and The Internet of Things
- Bring some snacks and learn some history with these Western Montana day trips
Get a taste of Montana history at these sites, each a do-able -- and picnic-worthy -- day trip from Missoula.
- Videos - 10 things not to do in Yellowstone
If you see a bison, elk, bear or any other sort of animal and want to get a little closer for a picture, just don't. You don't want to end up on this list.
Energy and Climate Change
- CBS Sunday Morning Video - Computer creativity: When AI turns its gaze to art
And just like that: Background music, composed just for the occasion. No human composer required.
- Amper Music - AI Music Composer - CBS Sunday Morning Video
Amper is an artificial intelligence composer, performer, and producer that empowers you to instantly create and customize original music for your content.
1 Million Cups
- Russian Hackers Appear to Shift Focus to U.S. Power Grid
State-sponsored Russian hackers appear far more interested this year in demonstrating that they can disrupt the American electric utility grid than the midterm elections, according to United States intelligence officials and technology company executives.
- Senator Jon Tester Introduces Bill to Lower Energy Costs and Build Electric Infrastructure in Montana
Senator's Bipartisan Bill Will Increase Access to Capital for Montana Rural Electric Cooperatives
- Top 10 Utility Regulation Trends of 2018--So Far
We have seen continued conversation about the suitability of the traditional cost-of-service regulatory model as the energy landscape changes.
- Agreement reached on Anaconda Superfund cleanup
The Anaconda cleanup, like Butte's, has been ongoing for 35 years. The agreement was reached Saturday.
- What does the future of energy look like? Stanford scientists weigh in
Stanford experts agree that the world needs to be less reliant on fossil fuels for energy. Getting there will remake the world's largest economic sector - energy - into one that is more sustainable, secure and affordable for everyone.
- Montana Clean Energy Fair, 08/11, Bozeman
The 8th annual Montana Clean Energy Fair is free and open to the public and will feature a series of 45-minute educational workshops on topics
- Much of the US Electric Grid Could Go the Way of the Landline Phone
Over the past two decades, the investor-owned utilities that represent nearly half the US grid's electrical load saw the effective cost of generating one megawatt of electricity rise 74 percent.
- New Grant Program Helps Montana Nonprofits Save on Energy Costs
The Energy Efficiency Program helps eligible nonprofits cover the upfront costs of an energy audit, which in turn identifies opportunities to save on their energy bill for years to come.
- The future is shining bright for Idaho's rooftop solar industry, customers
Idaho Power forecasts residential customers who generate their own power will more than triple over the next five years.
Come Home Montana
- A Tiny Minnesota Town Now Has Fast Wi-Fi and New Jobs, All Thanks to This Chain Mail Startup CEO Who Attended 1 Million Cups
After attending 1 Million Cups - "More important, Ramstad says, for the first time she no longer felt isolated. "I went home energized," she says. "Rather than letting people go on Friday I put an ad in the paper and hired three more."
- Montana career Opportunity - Director, Solutions Consulting, Solutions Consultant, Engagement Manager - commonFont
Our people approach their work with passion, curiosity, and a drive to innovate and improve. We need your help to build the world's most outstanding organization!
- Montana Career Opportunity - Systems Administrator - Billings Federal Credit Union
Quite simply, we're a community credit union. If you live, work, attend school, or worship in Yellowstone, Big Horn, or Carbon Counties, Montana, you've found your credit union! Membership is also open to your family members.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Associate Communications Manager - MSU Alumni Foundation
"We cultivate lifelong relationships and secure private support to advance Montana State University."
- Montana Career Opportunity - Executive Director - Helena Area Community Foundation
We inspire and lead collaboration and investment for compassionate, safe, healthy, and resilient communities.
- Montana Career Opportunity - eCommerce Manager, HR/Payroll Coordinator, Future Opportunities and more... - Murdoch's Ranch & Home Supply
Located in Bozeman, MT, Murdoch's Home Office is nestled at the base of the Bridger Mountains. Bozeman is known as the place to be for some of the best outdoor recreation activities in the country. Not only that, but we are a community built around hometown values.
- Montana Career Opportunities - Compliance Associate, Marketing Conversion & Optimization Specialist - XY Planning Network, LLC
We do good work, with good people, for good people. XYPN is the leading turnkey financial planning platform for fee-only advisors who want to serve their Gen X & Y peers.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Construction & Visitor Operations Manager - American Prairie Reserve
American Prairie Reserve's mission is to create the largest nature reserve in the continental United States, a refuge for people and wildlife preserved forever as part of America's heritage.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Programs and Digital Marketing Manager / Lead - West Paw Designs
Working for West Paw means joining a B Corp Certified company that measures its success in the things money can't buy: a cleaner planet, healthier communities, and safe, happy pets. We treat our employees as company assets, not expenses--people full of resourcefulness and creativity who help us achieve our company goals.
- Montana Career Opportunities - Early Childhood Teacher, Software Development Team Manager , IT Software Developer, Quality Assurance Analyst, Solutions Developer and more... - Zoot
Zoot Enterprises is a global provider of advanced origination, acquisition and decision management solutions for financial institutions. We offer comprehensive and flexible platforms for specific business needs that include loan origination, fraud detection and prevention, data acquisition, and more.
- Montana Career Opportunities - Full-Time or Part-Time Web Developer (Full Stack), Associate Trip Planner Adventure Life
Forget a job description, we're looking to grow our tribe of world explorers!
- Montana Career Opportunities - Network Administrator, Digital Marketing Manager and more... - Carroll College
We welcome your application for positions that you could best contribute to the mission and strategic goals of Carroll College.
- Montana Career Opportunities - Business Outreach Project Manager, Business Veterans Outreach Center Director - Big Sky Economic Development
Building the Foundation for a Vibrant Economy!
Montana Economic Development
- Tell Us Something: Storytelling business expands from Missoula to Helena, Butte
"The first time I told a story on stage, I felt listened too for the first time in my life."
- Feds launch probe into KECI owner Sinclair for allegedly inflating TV ad prices
The corporate owner of a Missoula television station is facing a probe by the Justice Department over allegations that it inflated local advertising prices, the Wall Street Journal reported Friday.
- Trump's tariffs stifling Montana metal manufacturers, farmers; boosting lumber mills
"We have less demand from customers."
- Missoula businesses fear Supreme Court's sales tax decision could slow growth, cost money
"We're trying to allow our customers to concentrate on their product and their customers. Adding this burden for them on top of everything else they do as a small business - they're not going to be able to do it."
- Montana's Hi-Line is for beer lovers
From Missouri Breaks Brewing in Wolf Point to Cut Bank Creek Brewery, the Hi-Line has arrived as a Montana micro-brewery destination.
- One Big Sky District Plans Discussed in Billings, Montana
On Monday, strategy partners and funding partners for One Big Sky District Development met to talk more about the plan to build a district in Downtown Billings.
- How to introduce yourself so you'll be unforgettable (in a good way!)
If you can move beyond the boring basics when you're asked "What do you do?", you'll set yourself up for new relationships, opportunities and revelations, says introduction expert Joanna Bloor.
- These Free Online Courses From Google Will Boost Your Career No Matter What Business You're In
From product design to LinkedIn strategies, Google has a lot to teach executives and entrepreneurs.
- Veterans Sustain Two Serious Defeats From Trump And The House To VA Health Care
Say hello to the Koch-created Concerned Veterans for America, the major organization demanding privatization no matter what the cost, financial or otherwise.
- How Governments Are Closing the Gender Pay Gap
From banning certain hiring questions to opening up pay discussions between coworkers, states and municipalities are addressing years of inequality.
North Dakota Business and Economic Development
- Fitch Analysis: Idaho May be Biggest Victim in U.S. / China Trade War
"Approximately one-quarter of Idaho's exposure is in computer and electronics products while plant and animal products also contribute. "
- One more year, and you can surf, kayak or paddle in Boise's expanded whitewater park
Surfers, kayakers, paddle-boarders and other wave junkies should be splashing away in the second phase of Boise's Whitewater Park next summer -- as long as construction stays on schedule.
- North Dakota's Newest C-Suite Leaders Reveal Strategies for IT Unification
CTO Duane Schell and Chief Reinvention Officer Julie Cabinaw talk about their plans to address North Dakota's massive IT unification plans.
- Nevada named one of worst states to retire -- again
After being named one of the worst states for retirement by a report in February, the state ranked poorly in yet another list that came out this month.
- British farmers worry: Who will pick the fruit after Brexit?
Britain today is completely dependent on foreign workers to pick its fruit and vegetables.
Regional Economic Development
- Amazon raking in billions, some employees relying on food stamps
NYU Stern School of Business professor Scott Galloway joins Stephanie Ruhle to break down the wage problem that's causing this imbalance.
- Citing failed merger promises, New York moves to kick Charter Spectrum cable out of the state
New York's utility regulators moved Friday to revoke Charter Communication's ability to operate in the state, arguing that the state's top cable provider hasn't lived up to the terms of its 2016 merger with Time Warner Cable.
- Hearing Amazon's footsteps, Walgreens unveils new digital platform to connect patients to doctors
"At least for the foreseeable future, there's going to be a role for the local pharmacies, because, after all, this is a relationship business."
- From albino squirrels to the world's largest mailbox: How Illinois' small towns make a name for themselves with offbeat attractions
In the decade since the first one was built, these giant items have helped drive traffic to the town and spur a bit of a renaissance on Main Street.
- Taking a deeper look at Montana's workforce programs - State Workforce Innovation Board (SWIB) Seats available on the Board
As the chair of the State Workforce Innovation Board (SWIB) https://swib.mt.gov/ , I am excited to work with industry leaders, labor leaders, the public sector, and partners for continued economic success throughout Montana.
Montana Education Excellence
- What if Your Favorite Teacher was a Robot?
Earlier this year, I witnessed a scene out of science fiction, had it not been reality.
- SKC Receives Grant for Early Childhood Education, Native Teacher Development
The American Indian College Fund administers the program, called "For the Wisdom of Children: Strengthening the Teacher of Color Pipeline."
- University of Montana Foundation Newsletter - Summer 2018
UM is a place where people care deeply about their work, the success of students and the health of our region. That passion will help drive UM forward into its next 125 years, as we all come together to think big about the institution's future. Thank you for being a key part of our next chapter.
Funding and Building your Business
- Missoula the Most 'Unequal' County in Montana?
The city of Missoula is also the most "unequal" metro in the state.
- "Cars And Coffee" - 8/4 - Missoula
All low-key, just to chat and look at cool old cars. Not a car show or publicized event.
Connectivity & Communications
- Why Pitching Your Product Is Not Enough For Investors
Every investor needs to make sure you have a business, as well as a product.
- 11 Examples Of Small Business Documents to Keep in Printed Form
You might not want to get rid of your printer just yet.
- Think You're Too Old to Found a Startup? Think Again - 'The Creator's Code: The Six Essential Skills of Extraordinary Entrepreneurs'
Each of us has the capacity to spot opportunities, invent products, and build businesses--even $100 million businesses.
- Midco plans fixed wireless internet to reach rural and rugged areas
Midco says that it acquired a fixed wireless provider named InvisiMax after the companies successfully deployed wireless broadband to a rural North Dakota community in only 30 days. Its current fixed wireless hardware offers customers up to 50Mbps downloads and 10Mbps uploads, even when the customers are 50 miles away from Midco's existing fiber network.
- Hackers break into voting machines within 2 hours at Defcon
Hackers at the convention hope their finding will lead to lasting changes in voting machine technology.
- Video - Live from Red Ants Pants, opening night
The 8th Annual Reds Ants Pants Music Festival kicked off Friday. We check in with the founder of the festival, Sarah Calhoun.
- Red Ants Pants sets new attendance record at 8th annual festival
Red Ants Pants has grown to be one of the largest festivals in Montana
- Machine Vision System Spots Roadways in Need of Repair
"Normally this is a time-consuming and costly process," says Ben Schmidt, Roadbotics CTO. "Here, we snap our fingers and there's a comprehensive view of your road network."
- Don't Enact a 'Lazy' Ride-Hailing Tax
A former mayor of Portland, Oregon, outlines what a smart ride-hailing tax looks like for American cities.
- Can Frisco's new fleet of autonomous vehicles help people get used to idea of a driverless future?
The project will help demonstrate what it takes to pave the way to an autonomous driving future. It could answer key questions, among them: Can shared autonomous vehicles become a new kind of public transit? What law enforcement issues could they raise? And can driverless cars win the public's trust?
- HVN Featuring Patrick Claytor Of Big Sky Fulfillment - 8/16 - Missoula
Patrick is the CEO of QuiltyBox and Big Sky Fulfillment, focused on E-commerce, Subscription Box Companies, AutoCAD, and training his dog June. He is interested in partnering with e-commerce brands, providing fulfillment services from Missoula, MT, and networking.
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page