|MATR Newsletter - Fri Sep 29, 2017|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
"Life is too short to be living somebody else's dream. In my wildest dreams, I could not have imagined a sweeter life." Hugh Hefner
Big Sky: Big Ideas to hit Bozeman Oct. 5 - PFL http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html ---- All are Invited to the MEDA Fall Conference - meet Montana Superheroes and become even more empowered to build your community! 10/5-6, Red Lodge http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html
Montana Business and Govt. Agency Collaboration Success
Montana Department of Commerce
- Lodge Grass, Montana looks to transform town with funds from competitive grant from the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation
The $60,000 grant will fund community planning activities for the next nine months and will allow her and the rest of the 12-person team identify and develop potential solutions to move the impoverished community forward, rather than simply focusing on the negatives.
Montana Economic Developers Association
- Missoula businesses part of state push to grow exports to international markets
With growth in mind, the Montana Department of Commerce is ramping up efforts to help businesses export products and services to markets across the globe.
- Governor Bullock Continues Broadband Partnership To Increase Internet Access for Montana's Schools
EducationSuperHighway and the Department of Commerce stand ready to help you take advantage of this funding and find viable options to upgrade your school networks. All assistance through the Montana School Broadband Project is provided free of charge. To get started, visit http://comdev.mt.gov/programs/broadband.
Montana Politics & Legislature
- All are Invited to the MEDA Fall Conference - meet Montana Superheroes and become even more empowered to build your community! 10/5-6, Red Lodge
Come to Red Lodge to get answers to these and many other questions and meet a great group of people dedicated to helping improve Montana's future.
- Republican U.S. Senate candidate Troy Downing charged with nine Montana hunting violations
Downing's citations accuse him of illegally buying licenses in 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016. The citation for transferring a license accuses him of loaning a 2011 Montana elk license to another for killing a bull elk. And the citation for assisting an unqualified applicant accuses him of helping his nonresident adult son obtain a 2015 Montana resident conservation, deer and elk licenses.
- Montana Democrats trying to marshal support for special session
Gov. Steve Bullock has said that without generating new revenue, the cuts are going to hurt vulnerable residents by eliminating services.
- Big Sky: Big Ideas to hit Bozeman Oct. 5 - PFL
Change the way you think about marketing technology at the second-annual Big Sky: Big Ideas Technology Summit, sponsored by PFL.
Montana Code Girls
- TechLink SBIR/STTR Lunch & Learn Series - NSF, DOT, EPA, - 10/25 - Bozeman
Bring your lunch and learn about current Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) funding opportunities from The National Science Foundation (NSF), the Department of Transportation (DOT), and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
Dorsey & Whitney LLP
- Tech and computing contest open for Montana high school girls
The NCWIT Award for Aspirations in Computing is for young women with aspirations and achievements in technology and computing.
Great Falls Development Authority
- Employment In The Digital Age - Dorsey & Whitney - 10/13 - Missoula, Montana
Join us for a discussion of the most problematic issues employers face when managing their workforce in the digital age, and learn how you can protect your company and its employees now and in the future.
21st Century Education Initiative - "You Should Care..."
- QuickBooks Basics And Webinar Series - 10/5 - Online
Every month, Great Falls Development Authority works to provide tools and resources to guide area businesses to success.
- 3 winning characteristics of a school STEAM program
Access to cutting-edge technology and the integration of the STEAM curriculum across the School have been integral to success, but above all else, the quality of the program is a result of the administration allowing our students to take the lead on making it their own.
Arrow Solutions Group
- Montana B&Bs: Unique bed and breakfasts under the big sky
From restored mansions to wilderness getaways, there is a bed-and-breakfast in the Treasure State for everyone.
Energy and Climate Change
- Kathy Boelter of Arrow Solutions Group was recently accepted into the Goldman Sachs 10,000 Small Businesses program.
Kathy will be transporting Arrow Solutions Group to the next level by linking her learning into action.
Come Home Montana
- Stung over bias claims with Wyoming wind project, Rocky Mountain Power now seeks renewable energy ideas in Utah
While plowing ahead with $3.5 billion Wyoming wind farm, utility will now solicit proposals for building solar power projects in Utah -- with urging from state regulators.
Hellgate Venture Network
- Montana Career Opportunity - Engineering Manager - Montana Precision Products
The Engineering Manager plans, organizes and directs engineering to meet company objectives for design, new product development and improvement of existing product lines by performing the following duties personally or through subordinates.
- What is Photonics? The Montana Photonics Cluster Needs Your Skills and Expertise
Optics and photonics are growing in Montana providing excellent career opportunities.
- Request for Proposals from Fundraising Consultants - Humanities Montana
Humanities Montana is considering contracting with a fundraising consultant and/or company to help us grow our fundraising capacity from individuals, corporations and foundations throughout the state and nation. Our primary goal is to increase the number and amount of major gifts.
- Manufacturing Jobs in Montana
Job Postings below are a service for MMEC clients provided by the Montana Manufacturing Extension Center.
- Montana State University Hosting 30th Annual Fall Career Fair On 10/3-6 - Bozeman
Montana State University has planned a full slate of networking and informational events during the first week of October as part of its 30th annual Fall Career Fair.
- Hellgate Venture Network With James Stephens, Blue Marble Biomaterials - 9/28 - Missoula
"Lessons learned through a mini-IPO (Reg A+) failure" with James Stephens of Blue Marble Biomaterials
TED and TEDX Talks
- U.S. Air Force Selects S&K Aerospace for $559M Saudi F-15 Aircraft Program Support
The U.S. Department of Defense said Friday, S&K Aerospace will provide logistics support and deliver consumables for multiple F-15 variants, as well as operate and maintain print plant and print on demand facilities under the contract.
- Nomad Technologies - There When Disaster Strikes for 15 Years
"We've served law enforcement, first responder, fire, healthcare, and numerous other industries throughout our history," Hahn said. "We're experiencing great growth in all these markets, and are also rapidly expanding our service of military and public utility customers, as well as developing command and communication solutions for several foreign governments, including Panama and Saudi Arabia."
- Once-thriving MSE complex south of Butte set to be auctioned off piece by piece
Cincinnati Industrial Auctioneers has set Nov. 2 as a live on-site and website auction https://www.cia-auction.com/home/upcoming_auctions/mse-technology-applications.html for most everything on the 53-acre site, formally known as the Mike Mansfield Advanced Technology Center.
- Today's TED Talk - Future tech will give you the benefits of city life anywhere
Think outside city walls and consider the advantages of country living with this forward-thinking talk.
- Public TV Puts Rural America in the Spotlight
As Congress moves toward debate over tax reform, revenue for programs like the Corporation for Public Broadcasting may be at stake. This report looks at how one stream of public-media funding stream has addressed rural topics.
- Literacy Bitterroot has no collaboration plans with Missoula County Literacy
"It was not our determination to take it away from local control and put it into regional - that was what the feds had decided."
- National Parks Struggle With a Mounting Crisis: Too Many Visitors
The park system has a maintenance backlog of more than $11 billion dollars and President Trump has proposed a 13 percent cut to the service.
- Montana Senator Jon Tester Named one of the Most Effective Senators in Washington
Senator Breaks Political Gridlock, Commended by Non-Partisan Center for Effective Lawmaking
- Hovering for a bargain in Montana? State surplus auction adds online bidding this year
Now may be the perfect time to buy that hovercraft you've always wanted.
Incubators and R&D
- Micron reports 'exceptional' sales, profits but will cut hundreds of Boise jobs
The company also began notifying a few hundred Boise workers that their jobs will end as most of their work is shipped to a Micron plant in Taiwan.
- How Fake News Turned Twin Falls, Idaho Upside Down - Is NewmEXIT next?
At the height of the 2016 election, exaggerated reports of a juvenile sex crime brought a media maelstrom to Twin Falls -- one the Idaho city still hasn't recovered from.
- The search for secret ingredients: University of Washington gets grant to invent new materials that could power the next big technology
"In a center like this, you come up with ideas that nobody could have thought of individually, and no one could execute individually."
- Biomarker could lead to CTE diagnosis during life
The ability to diagnose CTE in the living would allow not only for the development of possible therapies to treat the disease, but also for research into prevention.
Washington State Business
- Wisconsin goes big to lure a factory. Critics say it doesn't make sense.
Economists question the math of an arms race for jobs, and say it advantages big firms at the expense of startups.
- Wood products to bring 150 jobs to Spokane Valley
A new factory planned for Spokane Valley is part of a California company's efforts to streamline the U.S. building industry, making construction faster and cheaper.
- University of Wyoming sees high amount of faculty resignations
University of Wyoming officials say they have lost 86 faculty members throughout the past academic year, four times more than it would lose in a typical year.
Montana Education Excellence
- The Rural Higher-Education Crisis
The high-school graduates who head off to campus in the lowest proportions in America are the ones from rural places.
- Freshman Enrollment Increases at University of Montana
UM has an overall, preliminary fall enrollment headcount of 11,865 students.
- The University of Montana is your university - We can all contribute to its success.
As we enter our 125th year, those who have come before us would certainly ask us to carry this gift of the University of Montana forward in service to the generations to come. How will you be part of the solution?
- The University of Montana gambles on scholarship gambit
"If we do it right, we can actually generate money" by attracting more out-of-state students.
- Montana State University enrolls record number of students for fall semester
MSU has the greatest number of Montana residents enrolled in the institution's 124-year history: 10,251. Those students come from all 56 counties of the state.
- Senator Tester and Governor Bullock Secure Important Investment for Montana Students
"With a quality education, every student can unlock their full potential," Senator Tester said. "These critical resources will provide Montana students with the tools they need to succeed in the classroom, go to college, pursue a vocational-technical degree or an apprenticeship, and get a good-paying job."
Funding and Building your Business
- Bozeman looks to meet increasing water demands - demand for water will likely outpace the city's supply within the next 20 years.
Heaston said just to build the infrastructure to get water to foreseen developments would cost at least $300 million.
- From Buckskin To GORE-TEX: Inventions & Innovations In Outdoor Gear - 10/11 - Missoula
Learn how a variety of consumer, government, environmental and technological factors have shaped the introduction and adoption of new products, fabrics and technologies in the outdoor gear industry.
- SBA Rolls Out New Lender Match Tool to Connect Small Businesses and Lenders
The free online tool allows small business owners to fill out a quick online form, without registration, and then connects them with lenders within 48 hours.
- North Dakota GIS Users Conference Summary
Held every two years, the GIS Users Conference draws in users of GIS and related technologies from around the state and beyond.
Cool Stuff That's Coming
- 7 State or Local Governments Using Amazon Alexa
Uses range from giving advice on driver's license exams to traffic updates, as the list of municipal government skill sets available on the platform continues to expand.
- A Better Approach to Smart Cities - The intersection of smart lighting and smart grids is key to new services and more value.
Many of these components rely on a robust and secure communication network, so building a strong network foundation is critical to the success of a smart city implementation.
- Fujitsu develops hands-free speech translator
This means, for instance, that before a conversation started, the user could stipulate that their own speech be translated to English, and that the patient's speech be translated to Japanese.
- BMW produces giant wireless charging pad for your car
Just when you were getting used to the idea of wirelessly charging your iPhone 8, BMW's jumped on the bandwagon with a giant wireless charging pad for your car.
- Daimler's self-driving truck platoons to roll onto US highways Automotive
Daimler is set to trial such trucks on selected highways in the US as it begins testing of its truck platooning technology on American soil for the first time.
- Boeing throws $2 million behind contest to build personal flying machine
Boeing has had enough of the dreaming, and is putting up US$2 million in prize money to encourage bright ideas around building and designing an easy-to-use personal flying device.
- New Video Shows Dubai Testing the World's First Flying Taxi Service
Dubai hopes to have the first "self-flying taxi service" of the world, Autonomous Air Taxi, up and running within five years.
- How Driverless Cars, Drones and More are Changing Your Workplace
While some estimate driverless cars won't become mainstream for several decades, many companies (including Audi, Ford, Volkswagen and General Motors) are scheduled to launch driverless vehicles by 2021.
- Elon Musk's new vision: Fly anywhere on Earth in under one hour
Entrepreneur Elon Musk, who has long dreamed of creating a human colony on Mars, is planning to build a new rocket ship code named "BFR" capable of traveling anywhere on Earth in under an hour.
- Workshop To Boost Your Visibility With Federal Buyers, 10/10, Bozeman
- 2017 Fall Job Fair - Veterans In Early, 10/12, Kalispell
- Equus International Film Festival "On The Trail" - 10/29 - Bozeman, Montana
- Cyber Security Lunch And Learn, 10/03, Billings, MT
- Cyber Security Lunch And Learn, 10/04, Bozeman, MT
- Cyber Security Lunch And Learn, 10/05, Helena, MT
- Cyber Security Lunch And Learn, 10/06, Missoula, MT
- Rethinking How We Invest: Focus On Building Affordable Housing - 10/23-25 - Washington, D.C.
- 2017 ATHENA Women's Leadership Award Luncheon - 10/23 - Bozeman
- Luncheon With Max Baucus, Former US Senator, Ambassador To China - 11/20 - Bozeman
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page