|MATR Newsletter - Tue Sep 26, 2017|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
"The only thing worse than starting something and failing...is not starting something." - Seth Godin, US entrepreneur
Has Your Company Contacted iConnect About Your Data Center Needs? "Our typical customer realizes a multi-million dollar TCO savings" http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html
Big Sky Code Academy
Flathead Valley Community College
- Anywhere USA Career Opportunity - Data Science Instructor - Big Sky Code Academy
we're looking for experienced, senior-level data analysts and data scientists with industry experience and a passion for teaching. With our virtual classroom environment, you can be located anywhere in the U.S. This person will have ownership in the classroom to deliver and maintain a world class training and learning environment.
Montana Office of Tourism & Economic Development
- Deadline to Apply for FVCC's Practical Nursing Program is October 27
Students who are accepted for spring semester and successfully complete all required courses for the program will graduate in August, 2018. Graduates earn a Certificate of Applied Science.
21st Century Education Initiative - "You Should Care..."
- The State of Montana Office of Tourism & Economic Development renews tourism contract
"They (Hoffman) have done great work for us," Honeycutt said. "The Montana Office of Tourism and Business Development is innovating like it hasn't in decades."
- A Stanford psychologist has a simple mental exercise for tackling student stress
Kelly McGonigal, a health psychologist at Stanford, thinks we spend too much time worrying about stress and not enough harnessing it to learn and grow.
- Trump to create $200M grant program for computer education
Ivanka Trump, the president's daughter and senior White House adviser on the issue, says it's vital that students learn how to write computer code and study computer science. She says early exposure to both is vital.
1 Million Cups
- Has Your Company Contacted iConnect About Your Data Center Needs? "Our typical customer realizes a multi-million dollar TCO savings"
iConnect's full featured tier 3 data center provides one of the lowest Total Cost of Ownership and meets all security, business, and regulatory requirements. Our customers include government organizations, enterprises, private cloud operators, and global telecommunication companies. We offer industry leading services and maintain best of breed facilities.
Come Home Montana
- 1 Million Cups: What Will Most Effectively Impact Your Business Over The Next 3 Months? - 9/29 - Missoula
What will most effectively impact your business over the next 3 months? It's perfect timing to put together a 90-Day Plan prior to kicking off 2018. Make it your most successful year yet! Seating limited.
- Montana Career Opportunities - Executive Director - NeighborWorks Great Falls
For the past 37 years NeighborWorks Great Falls (NWGF) has transformed blighted neighborhoods into vibrant communities.
- Montana Career Opportunities - Personal Lines Producer, Account Associate Commercial, Account Manager and more... - PayneWest
Want to work at PayneWest? We want you to work here too!
- Montana Career Opportunities - Marketing Manager, Press Operator, Enterprise Account Executive, QA Analyst, Software Developer and more... - PFL
We're looking for talented, hard-working people that are passionate about helping customers succeed. It helps if you enjoy clean mountain air and dogs.
Big Sky Code Academy is a technology boot camp in Montana that offers immersive full-time and part-time web development and data science courses to train people with little or no coding background to become employable developers.
- Montana Career Opportunities - Digital Marketing Manager, Marketing Technology Specialist and more.. - Geofli
Replace Website Content Based on Visitor Location. Built in Montana, GeoFli is the simplest way to personalize your website.
- Montana Career Opportunity - GIS Data Specialist - Flathead Electric Cooperative
Duties: Responsible for the maintenance and production of Flathead Electric Cooperative's digital maps and correlated records of the Cooperative's G.I.S. system.
Montana Economic Development
- Senator Tester looks at Bozeman tech company - FLIR Industries for future use in homeland security
FLIR Industries, employs over 60 local people and grows their own crystals to use for the laser technologies.
- Machine from South Africa could turn Butte, Montana into the mine remediation capital of the United States.
The machine - here called the PET4K Processing Plant - uses only water and pressure and can be set at various gravity levels to target and remove specific metals even at minuscule sizes, all in process.
- "Take Flight Missoula" - Business, tourism leaders launch campaign to bring more flight options to Missoula
"When we kept seeing the need over and over again, looking at what's happening in Bozeman and Billings - competing against Idaho and Washington for that same market share - we realized we needed to step in and help plan for air-service expansion and get more seats into Missoula," said Jim McGowan, CEO of Windfall. "The strategy is pretty simple."
- The 25 tech companies everyone wants to work for in 2017
Tech is one of the hottest industries out there. But what companies are able to live up to the hype and keep their top talent happy?
- From Coal to Kale: Saving Rural Economies with Local Food
Many counties are switching to oil and gas production as coal's fortunes wane, but farms, food hubs, and community kitchens may keep rural areas alive.
- Senator Jon Tester Successfully Defends Montanans from Verizon's Attempt to Terminate Contracts
"Wireless communication is critical for Montana families, businesses, and emergency first responders," Tester said. "I am pleased with Verizon's decision to uphold its commitment to our state, if any Verizon customers have continued concerns, please contact my office. I will continue to defend Montanans from harmful actions that undermine our quality of life."
- Senator Tester Announces $8 Million to Strengthen Reading Education in Montana
"Every student in Montana deserves a quality public education and these resources will help our local public schools deliver for our students," said Tester, a former teacher. "When students have a strong foundation in reading and writing, they will have success in the future."
- Governor Bullock: Montana Residents Are Not Talking About Budget Shortfall
Montana Gov. Steve Bullock says state residents aren't talking about a potential $220 million budget shortfall and the magnitude of the problem may not sink in until extreme cuts are made to state services.
- Forest Service tried to quash paper debunking Montana wildlife authority
The U.S. Forest Service has disavowed a legal analysis it commissioned that showed federal land managers have given state wildlife departments more authority than they really possess.
- Governor Steve Bullock: Budget Cuts Will 'Hurt' Montana Residents
Without a fix, budget shortfall will lead to cuts to essential services and send shockwaves throughout the state
- Idaho initiative automatically admits 20,000 students to college
According to the board, this is the third year students with qualifying grades and test scores have automatically been admitted to Boise State University, University of Idaho, Idaho State University, Lewiston-Clark State College or one of the state's four community colleges.
- Grid+ Raises $40 Million as Blockchain Fever Grows
The startup is using blockchain to cut out the middleman in electricity sales.
Montana Education Excellence
- Wyoming Governor Mead expects major funding for workforce development to pass Legislature
Mead said that while investing in workforce training, which is a key part of his economic diversity initiative, may be a tough sell, it is essential to helping the state's economy recover and grow.
Funding and Building your Business
- UM Presidential Candidates - Seth Bodnar: University of Montana should be premier flagship in the West
"I'm in the people development business," Bodnar said. "My passion, my purpose, my energy in life has come from working to develop teams and helping people reach their full potential."
- The New Missoula College praised as place of "opportunity" for decades to come - "Become what you have always wanted to be"
Build a better future The specialized programs at Missoula College are in high demand and graduates are hired for great jobs, earning higher salaries.
- University of Montana president candidate Charles "Chuck" Ambrose says he'd put enrollment first
"We know the transcendent nature of what a degree means in this world, but we're up against some headwinds on the basis of what people perceive," Ambrose said, who visited the University of Montana on Monday.
- The University of Montana Western is the only public college in the country to offer a block scheduling program.
Practical, hands-on learning ensures students truly understand what they learn and are hands-on work with a field journalfully prepared for graduate school and professional work beyond our campus.
- There's more to an entrepreneur than starting up. There's also the exit.
Four company founders share their stories about selling their startups
- Success After Failure: How These 5 Entrepreneurs Bounced Back
These entrepreneurs and members of The Oracles share their black swan events that caused big epiphanies.
- Do Women-Only Networking Groups Help or Hurt Female Entrepreneurs?
This new breed of groups offer a lot to Instagram. But will they change the equation for women entrepreneurs?
- How Blockchain and ICOs Are Changing the Funding Game for Startups
For some tech firms, initial coin offerings are a way to raise early capital more quickly than they could through venture funding
- New initiative to use 'fourth industrial revolution' technology innovations to tackle environmental challenges
The 4IR for the Earth initiative - in partnership with Stanford University and PwC and with funding from the Mava Foundation - will bring together technology entrepreneurs, environmental experts, policymakers and industry to identify and scale innovative new ventures, partnerships and finance and policy instruments that harness 'fourth industrial revolution (4IR) innovations to tackle environmental challenges.
Cool Stuff That's Coming
- Can Government Change the Online Citizen Experience?
State and local governments have poured time and money into online services, but while some work, others fail miserably. Understanding citizen behavior is the key to success.
- Franklin Foer's 'World Without Mind' argues that Silicon Valley will lead us to our doom
These firms have a program: to make the world less private, less individual, less creative, less human.
- Walmart wants to send people into your house to stock the fridge -- even when you're not home
"I'm watching the entire process from start to finish from my home security cameras. As I watch the associate exit my front door, I even receive confirmation that my door has automatically been locked."
- Are You Ready To Have Your Brain Connected To The Internet?
In another example of "this used to be science fiction," that's where we're going next: neural digitization, our brains becoming nodes on the net.
- 13 gorgeous car-free cities around the world
Ditch the rental car and get ready to explore
- Montana Family Business Day, 10/6, Bozeman
- Montana Photonics Industry Alliance Luncheon - 10/11 - Bozeman, Montana
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page