|MATR Newsletter - Fri Mar 31, 2017|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
"Do what you love to do. Do it for yourself and for all humanity. Be a catalyst for positive change." Conrad Anker
The Montana Ambassadors & Montana Film Commission Invite You To A Montana Networking Event, 4/6, Los Angeles, CA http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html
Gov. Steve Bullock
Montana Department of Commerce
- Governor Bullock Announces Montana Leads the Nation in Job Growth
"Montana is experiencing strong business and job growth - the fastest in the country last month," said Governor Bullock. "Thanks to a stable business climate that allows both our small and large businesses on Main Streets all across the state to grow and expand, more Montanans have a good-paying job to support their families."
Montana Economic Developers Association
- Montana Board of Housing Boosts Access to Affordable Homes After $42 Million Bond Sale
By paying a lower-than-conventional interest rate, low and moderate income homebuyers will save a collective $6.5 million over the course of a 30-year mortgage.
- The Montana Board of Research and Commercialization Technology
The Montana Board of Research and Commercialization Technology (MBRCT) provides a predictable and stable source of funding for research and commercialization projects in Montana.
Montana Governor's Office of Economic Development
- How REAL Economic Development Happens
He covers how EDCO approaches company recruitment, expansion of existing businesses, and the development of startups.
Montana Politics & Legislature
- The Governor's Office of Economic Development encourages Montana businesses to apply for the Inc. 5000 list by May 1, 2017.
Placement on the Inc. 5000 list increases business' credibility with lenders, investors, and customers alike.
Great Falls Development Authority
- Urgent - Call to Action - MT Nonprofit Alert
We believe it is of the utmost importance to halt any forward momentum on legislation that would erode the nonprofit structure as we know it.
- Bill would allow for Native American hiring incentives for Montana employers
"Employment preferences for Native Americans is something that Montana should look at, grasp, start nurturing," Kipp said. "Addressing the high economic deficiencies on reservations, and giving them a hand up as far as employment goes."
- Republicans on House panel kill Montana Hose of Representatives mail-only ballot option for May 25 election
Some state Republican Party leaders are opposing SB305, saying it could cause problems with the election - and could help the Democratic candidate, with higher turn-out.
- Governor Bullock Urges Legislators to Pass Bill to Grow Business and Create Good-Paying Jobs
If passed, HB 308 will provide businesses a $1,000 tax credit for every position hired where the worker is offered on-the-job training through the Montana Registered Apprenticeship unit, and $2,000 for every Montana veteran hired.
- Officials: Montana would be last in nation for higher education spending if state budget stands
And a tuition increase of nearly 18 percent for residents is on the table, according to the agency.
Energy and Climate Change
- GFDA Top 12 for 3/26/17
Untame Your Entrepreneurial Spirit in Great Falls, Montana!
- Are other cities luring Great Falls residents away? Development authority says so
"I would say the number one reason is that we have not been hungry enough to sell Great Falls to people," he told the Tribune on Friday. "In every which way possible. Other communities are taking their community and pitching it, aggressively going after new residents. We need to do the same in Great Falls." Brett Doney, president and CEO of the Great Falls Development Authority
Come Home Montana
- The Solutions Project - The World Can Transition to 100% Clean, Renewable Energy
Together we can build a stronger economy, healthier families, and a more secure future. 100% clean is 100% possible. Join us.
- Montana Career Opportunities - B2B Marketing Manager, Digital Marketing Manager, Director of Software Engineering, Mobile App Developer and more... - Orbital Shift
If our mission and core values resonate with you, check out our current openings and let us know how you'll make a difference.
- Montana Career Opportunities - IT Designer, Software Developer and more....- Washington Corporation
Washington Corporations, headquartered in Missoula, Montana, provides central and administrative services to the Washington Companies.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Mobile Software Developer - onXmaps, Inc.
onXmaps is looking for a talented Java engineer to join our mobile team. If you're passionate about taking our mobile GPS experience to the next level, we want you.
- Montana Career Opportunity - DevOps Engineer - Goomzee
If you are excited by taking on new challenges, competing on a national level, establishing new standards in technology, software engineering, and customer service then Goomzee may be just for you.
- Montana Career Opportunities - Software Programmer, Software Tester, GIS Technical Support and more... - LogiSYS911
Computer Aided Dispatch Solutions for Law Enforcement, Fire, and Emergency Services
- Montana Career Opportunities - Manager of Enterprise Integrations, System Administrator with NAV, Senior Java Developer and more... - Arrow Solutions Group
Finding a new job can be challenging and we try to make that process as smooth as possible. At Arrow Solutions Group we're your liaison to the employer and the job you want. Search our Job Postings and find a technology job that fits you.
- Montana Career Opportunities - Digital Printing Operator, Customer Advocate, Customer Success Manager, Marketing Manager and more... - PrintingForLess
Our campus is located in Livingston, Montana, tucked into a snowcapped mountain valley. We are close to Yellowstone National Park, world class skiing, rock climbing and of course fishing.
- Montana Career Opportunities - NET Software Engineer, Electrical Engineering Manager, Plant Manager and more... - ViZn Energy
Your involvement with ViZn will help grow the next-generation grid storage technology around the world.
- Montana Career Opportunities - Business Development Representative, GPS Implementation Specialist, Technical Support Analyst I or II, Data Analyst I, II, or III and more... - Education Logistics, Inc.
Education Logistics offers the best school bus routing software solutions, school bus GPS tracking systems, student ridership, fleet and driver management solutions, and more.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Client Services Manager - Lake County Community Development Corporation
Montana Economic Development
- Bretz RV & Marine CEO is SBA Small Business Person of the Year - Awards Luncheon for SBA Small Business Leaders April 25th
This annual award from the U.S. Small Business Administration recognizes the hard work, challenges, innovation, and community investment that is required of America's most successful small business men and women.
- People Love Chocolate Chirp Cookies - Montana's Cowboy Cricket Farms - Montana's First (and only) Cricket Farm
The waiting list for the farm’s wholesale products is three years long, the founders said.
- Six takeaways from Prospera's annual economic report
The area -- and state -- continue to grow Cost of living on the rise Wages and income are still lagging, particularly in Park County Retail and service power the local economy Organic agriculture gains popularity while farming struggles
- As Economic Development Spikes, Montana West Economic Development Collecting Input on Community Priorities
The effort is focused on crafting a new Comprehensive Economic Development Strategy, which is established every five years to help steer public and private investment and leverage grants.
City Club Missoula
- Major overhaul to help rural Colorado could be a game changer for the legislative session
The bill redirects money to rural schools and roads and allows millions more for hospitals
- Disabled, or just desperate? Rural Americans turn to disability as jobs dry up
Across large swaths of the country, disability has reshaped scores of mostly white, almost exclusively rural communities, where as many as one-third of working-age adults live on monthly disability checks, according to a Post analysis.
- Local Media Know the Problems; How About Helping Communities Get to Solutions?
The local paper took a chance by producing an event to get the conversation started. An editor argues that, in some cases, the media's job goes beyond just reporting news to helping prompt discussion that could lead to action.
- City Club Missoula Presents: The Enigma Of Growth In Missoula - 4/10 - Missoula, Montana
Balancing Quality of Life, Economic Development, and Affordable Housing within a Mountain Valley
- Investigation gives Montana Superintendent of Public Instruction Elsie Arntzen's claims an 'F' -- for 'False'
The investigation, conducted by Helena consultant Jim Kerins at a cost of $4,200, concluded March 20. There was no press conference to highlight its findings.
- After years of fighting states, Amazon makes sales tax standard
Residents in all but five US states will now be charged state sales tax when making purchases through the online retailer.
- Frontier Airlines said to be aiming for IPO in second quarter
After the Indigo buyout, Frontier's new owner transformed it into what's known as an ultra-low-cost carrier -- an airline that offers inexpensive base fares and adds fees for everything else.
21st Century Education Initiative - "You Should Care..."
- Wyoming population declines for first time in 27 years
Births outpaced deaths 7,590 to 4,838 from July 2016 to July 2016, and about 3,800 more people left the state than moved in.
- Software helps educators respond to more than just their students' grades
The company is committed to contributing to higher quality of education around the world, and the technology makes student, family, and teacher feedback accessible.
Montana Education Excellence
- All-girls robotics team wins international competition
"While solving this year's missions, the girls learned invaluable, lifelong skills about time management, group collaboration and contributing to their community.
- Browning, Montana students already on great trip, then Michelle Obama walks in ...
The students said they bombarded the former first lady with hugs and requests for selfies -- and she happily obliged. Then, everyone sat around a table and Michelle talked to the students about privilege, success and how to make it in the world when it seems resources are limited.
- Kickstarter: "Big Dreams under the Big Sky" Documentary on educational goals in Montana
With your support, we can gather over a week's worth of filming and, subsequently, the required editing, as well as supporting the crew and volunteers with food and travel. By the end of this project, we hope to have a 45-50 minute documentary that can be shown in high school classrooms, film festivals and across the state to increase awareness about these students' stories.
- Darby, Montana Schools receive $3 million; leads the state in personalized "experiential learning" lessons
Darby will continue to lead the way for Montana in the drive to put personalized-learning programs into actual classroom practice. It trades lecture-based instruction for more hands-on activities.
Funding and Building your Business
- These 10 Innovative Partnerships Are Cultivating Healthier Communities and Workforces
The more collective time and resources you can bring to the table, the better.
Connectivity & Communications
- Why You Should Always Talk to Strangers as an Entrepreneur
Networking and being able to talk to people you don't know is one of the most valuable skills you can have in the world of entrepreneurship.
- 6 Ways To Attract A Flock Of Angels To Your Venture
"Raising money is the second hardest part of starting a startup. The hardest part is making something people want." Paul Graham of Y-Combinator
- 17 Essential Tools for Entrepreneurs
Powerful, low-cost technology is readily available to make starting and growing your business if not easy, at least possible.
- Capturing value from your customer data
Companies can put their information to work by teasing out novel patterns, driving productivity, and creating new solutions.
- Women Embrace Ambition - Own your power, your drive and your dreams.
It's about helping to empower women to help themselves.
- Small businesses boost benefits, tout quality of life to lure job hunters
"There are lots of people just looking to move to higher-paying employers,"
- The House just voted to wipe away the FCC's landmark Internet privacy protections
The providers could also sell their users' information directly to marketers, financial firms and other companies that mine personal data -- all of whom could use the data without consumers' consent.
- UW professor: The information war is real, and we're losing it
A University of Washington professor started studying social networks to help people respond to disasters. But she got dragged down a rabbit hole of twitter-boosted conspiracy theories, and ended up mapping our political moment.
Cool Stuff That's Coming
- Driving Innovation Beyond the Big City: A Model for Small and Midsized Cities to Achieve Data Excellence
While large cities have long embraced open data, smaller cities are just beginning to implement such policies, largely in partnership with the What Works Cities initiative.
- Researchers Just Unveiled a New Li-Fi System That's 100 Times Faster Than Wi-Fi
This Li-Fi system uses light antennas to transmit wireless data.
- FDA approves first drug to fight severe forms of MS
Ocrelizumab targets the body's B cells and is the first to have an effect on the more severe form of the disease.
- The Wrong Way to Pay for Our Roads and Bridges
Elected officials at all levels of government should be having a serious conversation with the public about how we should fund transportation projects over the long term.
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page