|MATR Newsletter - Fri Jan 20, 2017|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
Do you ever wake up, kiss the person sleeping beside you, and feel glad that you are alive? I just did and apparently will not be allowed on this airline again.....
You're Invited To The Secret Sauce That Turned Israel Into "The Start-Up Nation,", 1/26, Missoula http://www.matr.net/ev ... =6271
Flathead Valley Community College
Kalispell Chamber of Commerce
- Celebrating 50 Years Of Flathead Valley Community College! - Pink Gloves Boxing, 2/2-4/7, Kalispell, Montana
The 50th anniversary celebration kicks off February 2 with a presentation by boxer, entrepreneur and international speaker Garret Garrels, who will discuss how ordinary people can change lives by taking action on their extraordinary ideas.
- Women's Choral Festival, 2/6-7, Kalispell, Montana
High school students from across Northwest Montana will convene in Kalispell February 6-7 for the biennial Women's Choral Festival.
Montana Politics & Legislature
- Kalispell Manufacturing Expo and Mini Maker Faire on Feb. 24-25 Seeking Exhibitors
In particular, manufacturers and makers with exhibits that highlight the innovation, problem solving, and collaboration skills needed in manufacturing today are encouraged to participate during the Manufacturing and Technology Expo.
Great Falls Development Authority
- Lawmakers tackle Bullock infrastructure bills - but alternatives are in the works
Lawmakers told MTN News that bipartisan groups of legislators are working on alternatives - both for the short-term projects and long-term funding.
- Bill to divert state film-industry promotion funds to Canadian trade center sparks opposition
"Filmmakers want to come and check out Montana because there's a certain amount of romance about this state and this place. To me it's not a time to take money away from an industry that's growing."
- Montana Senate bill cuts promotion of filmmaking from $1.1M to $200K
"The Department of Commerce is mandated, and I quote, 'to use bed tax collections for tourism, promotion, promotion of the state as a location for the production of motion pictures and television commercials,' "
- Bill by Rep. Barry Usher would ban bicyclists from most 2-lane roads in Montana
"Stranger things have happened with our Legislature. We'd better pay attention to it."
Montana Office of Tourism & Economic Development
- Profit Mastery: Creating Value & Building Wealth, 2/1-2, Great Falls, Montana
This two-day workshop teaches business owners and managers how to better use your own financial statements, create strategies to increase profitability, and help strengthen the relationship with your lender.
Early Edge Montana
- Montana Office of Tourism and Business Development Agenda Highlights: New & Updated Features
The agenda for the 2017 Governor's Conference on Tourism and Recreation is now available at http://www.MTGovernorsConference.com!
- Nominate a Partner (or Yourself!) For a Montana Tourism Award
The Montana Tourism Awards celebrate the outstanding work of the communities, businesses, organizations and people who strengthen Montana's tourism industry and thereby contribute to maximizing its economic impact for Montana residents.
Artificial Intelligence and The Internet of Things
- An Early Education Podcast from Oregon
"We imagine an Oregon where every child is prepared for success in school and in life."
- Boston Mayor Marty Walsh Makes Historic Proposal for Pre-K
"We're making great progress. But there's plenty of room for improvement. The gaps that remain come in the shape of race, language, and need. Equity demands bold solutions.
Energy and Climate Change
- Google's Brin 'surprised' by speed of AI advances
"This revolution," Brin said, "has been very profound and definitely surprised me even though I was right in there and could throw paper clips at them."
Montana Manufacturing Extension Center
- Earth sets heat record for third-straight year
Measuring global temperatures in slightly different ways, NASA and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration announced that last year passed 2015 as the hottest year on record.
Come Home Montana
- MPIA Strategic DoingTM Training And Implementation Workshop, 2/17, Bozeman, Montana
The MPIA Strategic DoingTM Training and Implementation Workshop is geared for professionals who want an understanding of the theory and practice of collaboration in open networks and who would like to participate in accelerating the growth of the Montana’s photonics industry.
Developing a more Entrepreneurial Montana
- Montana Career Opportunity - Market/Economic Research Specialist - TechLink
TechLink, a nationally recognized technology transfer center at Montana State University, is seeking Market/Economic Research Specialists who will carry out research (involving cold calling) on the economic outcomes of nationwide R&D and technology transfer programs.
- State of Missoula: entrepreneurs vital to local economy
"The employees I hired went all in with me. Don't forget that, sitting at your tables. The people here in Missoula, maybe they didn't start your company, but the day they worked with you, they went all in with you."
- Missoula-based Skyfish's UAV's make flying your mission as easy and intuitive as possible
The M4 assembles in seconds and can be flown imediatly without spending hours on complicated calibrations. We've done the work ahead of time so you can be up and flying in a matter of minutes.
- 5 Steps to Assessing and Building Capacity in Your Business
In this post, we walk you through the 5 steps to building sustainable capacity within your company.
- Butte, Montana's Headframe Spirits Joins the B Corp Movement - Redefining corporate life in Montana
The recently expanded company will be joining global innovators in a movement to use business as a force for good.
Next Generation Broadband in Montana
- Speak up even when your culture says not to
"The most courageous act is still to think for yourself. Aloud." ― Coco Chanel
- What's the ROI on Local Broadband?
"I didn't realize how significant the difference was in the download speeds between the two huge competitors in our community. There is one provider that consistently delivers much higher speeds."
- Governor Bullock Announces Expanded Access to High-Speed Internet for Montana Students
"In September of 2015 we announced a bold, proactive plan for how we could bring high-speed Internet to every school and student in our state," said Governor Bullock. "Just over a year later, we are clearly on our way to making that happen and ensuring that every Montana student receives the world-class educational experience they need and deserve."
- 8 Rural and Small Town Trends for 2017
New trends that apply in rural places, small towns and any community under about 20,000 in population.
- Ambassador Max Baucus says goodbye to China
For the last two years, Max Baucus and his wife, Melodee, have served our country in China. With the Trump transition, Baucus will no longer serve as ambassador.
- Making a Case for Water as a Key Component in the Smart City
Water has yet to take a place in the roster of smart city regulars, but there's much that technology could do to improve water infrastructure.
Incubators and R&D
- No residencies yet for proposed Idaho osteopathic school
At best, it's a speed bump for investors and supporters of the proposed school.
- 'Hey guys, we are right here, hire us. Buy Idaho.'
More than 100 Idaho-owned businesses offering an array of products and services filled three floors of the Capitol Rotunda on Wednesday for the 24th annual Buy Idaho show.
- Idaho Department of Commerce plans to increase spending on tourism
Idaho is collecting more money than expected from its 2 percent travel and convention tax, and the Idaho Department of Commerce is asking the Legislature for authority to spend it.
- Intricate 3D model predicts when heart patients will die
Based on the data the software could then predict patient mortality rates up to five years in the future.
- One Man's Quest to Hack His Own Genes
The gene Hanley added to his muscle cells would make his body produce more of a potent hormone--potentially increasing his strength, stamina, and life span.
- Grass-Fed Beef, Sold One Cow at a Time
Internet middlemen help ordinary people share cars and apartments. Why not cattle?
- For Many People, Medical Care Works Best When It's Incremental
The problem in our existing health care system is that it's not made to put great value in opportunities that take time to pay off.
21st Century Education Initiative - "You Should Care..."
- Please Vote Today - Meeteetse, Wyoming (Population 300) Middle School Science and Technology Students Compete in Verizon Nation-wide Contests
The town is thirty miles away from the nearest grocery store in Cody. That makes it a food desert.
Montana Education Excellence
- How Education Is Failing Rural America
"Rural public schools have simply become engines of exodus."
Funding and Building your Business
- Montana OPI: No plan to ditch Graduation Matters
OPI Federal Policy Director and Media Assistant Dylan Klapmeier told MTN Tuesday that Graduation Matters is not necessarily getting phased out, as previously stated.
- Graduation Matters stripped from OPI website; one day after denying 'phasing out' the program
One day after Superintendent Elsie Arntzen and the Office of Public Instruction defended keeping Graduation Matters, the program is stripped from the website.
- Student retention: University of Montana's other (other) problem
An increasing number of UM students are dropping out--and for reasons that aren't entirely clear to campus leaders.
- University of Montana - State of the University Address Focuses on Enrollment, Retention
"'We Are Montana' is not just a slogan,"
- Stronger ties and improved recruitment discussed by Bitterroot College and University of Montana
"We are trying to make this a better relationship," Edmond said. "I appreciate all you do here. You are important part of the University of Montana family."
Connectivity & Communications
- How does a start-up with $34 million in orders go out of business?
The product is ready...but too late. There's no cash left to make or sell it.
- Is 2017 The Year Of Flat Headcount?
If you are growing at a rate of less than 50% year over year, you should consider viewing 2017 as the year of flat headcount.
- Michael Best Launches Missoula Office with Two Startup Pros
Michael Best's Venture Best team works closely with entrepreneurs and emerging businesses, as well as the angel and institutional venture capital investors that finance them.
- FCC chair: 'Nobody safe' if GOP undoes net neutrality
"This is fundamental," Wheeler said. "Open networks have always been the policy of the United States."
Cool Stuff That's Coming
- Why Big Data Is a Big Deal for Cities
As a new study shows, cities are moving rapidly to harness it and put it to work to make better decisions.
HACKING AND VIRUS ALERTS
- New bio-glass could make it possible to re-grow or replace cartilage
Scientists have developed a material that can mimic cartilage and potentially encourage it to re-grow.
- AI Software Learns to Make AI Software
Google and others think software that learns to learn could take over some work done by AI experts.
- The Heroism of Incremental Care - There is a Revolution Coming in Healthcare
We devote vast resources to intensive, one-off procedures, while starving the kind of steady, intimate care that often helps people more.
- Fired IT worker changed password, wants $200K to fix it, college says
"Even under a good situation, somebody could leave and then you find out the cloud service you depend on gets canceled because maybe the bill didn't get paid."
- How Electric Vehicles Could End Car Ownership as We Know It
This Cambrian explosion of new vehicles enables two other revolutions: self-driving technology, and the shift from vehicle ownership to transportation as a service.
- University Of Montana To Launch Coalition For Business Engagement, 1/26, Missoula
- Community Needs Assessment Meeting And CDBG 2/1 And HOME Application Workshop, 2/7, Missoula
- Back To Basics Cooperative Summit Engaging In The Cooperative Economy, 2/27-3/1, Fairmont
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page