|MATR Newsletter - Tue Oct 11, 2016|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
"The subtle and deadly change of heart that might occur in you would be involved with the realization that a civilization is not destroyed by wicked people; it is not necessary that people be wicked but only that they be spineless." ― James Baldwin, The Fire Next Time
If you care about Montana'a economy, you should attend and make your voice heard - MEDA Fall 2016 Conference "Working Toward The Future", 10/12-14, Polson, Montana http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html
Kalispell Chamber of Commerce
Montana Politics & Legislature
- Kalispell Chamber to Fund 2017 Actions and Initiatives with High-Value Raffle
The Kalispell Chamber of Commerce is announcing the start of ticket sales for raffle items that will fund a portion of their 2017 agenda items which are aimed at continuing to develop local business, economic, and community projects.
Great Falls Development Authority
- Native American votes total 8 percent of Montana's total and could decide some races
In Montana, the Indian population is growing faster than the white population.
Energy and Climate Change
- FedEx Grand Opening, 10/21, Great Falls, Montana
On top of meeting management from the company, you'll also have an opportunity to tour the new facility and understand what FedEx Ground is bringing to Great Falls, and how their new location is bringing new jobs to the area, and establishing a new connection with our Canadian neighbors up north.
Come Home Montana
- What the US can learn from Canada's ambitious carbon tax plan
Earlier this week, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau dropped a bombshell: He'll require every province to adopt either a carbon tax or develop a carbon trading system by 2018.
- Hoping for the Success They Had Against Tobacco, State Attorney Generals Unite to Fight Climate Change
Just as the states found that the tobacco industry knew its product was addictive and caused lung cancer -- but was negligent in telling smokers about those risks -- AGs hope to expose that the oil and gas industry knew of the climate risks associated with carbon dioxide emissions but funded research to cover them up.
- Climate Science Skeptic Calls Global Warming a 'Huge Exaggeration' at Kalispell Event
"Because what this means is that global warming will not affect us for the next 2,000 years, and if it does, it won't have been caused by us. I therefore declare the climate scare officially over."
- Solar and Wind Power Are Growing - but Won't Solve Climate Change
"In the U.S., the momentum is on the renewable side in a way that it hasn't been."-Nathan Serota
Developing a more Entrepreneurial Montana
- New Bid Posting RFQ: Planning Consultant Services for the Building Design Quality & Character Management Project For Missoula, Montana
Notice is hereby given that the City of Missoula, Development Services, in partnership with the Missoula Redevelopment Agency, is seeking statements of qualifications and interest from qualified and experienced professional urban planning consultants for developing building design and character management tools for the City of Missoula.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Executive Director / Loan Officer - Miles City Area Economic Development Council
Position acts as the economic development officer for MCAEDC serving Miles City and Custer County and as loan officer for SEMDC serving eastern MT.
- Montana Career Opportunities - Service Technician, Sales Account Executive, Marketing Communications Specialist, Information Services Manager - Blackfoot Telecommunications Group
In an industry where everyone screams latest! fastest! greatest! we speak to solving, serving and adding value. If more is what you want, then we're the people you want.
- Montana Career Opportunities - Director of Implementation, Customer Advocate, Software Developer, and more... - PFL
We're looking for talented, hard-working people that are passionate about helping customers succeed. It helps if you enjoy clean mountain air and dogs.
- Montana Career Opportunities - Ad Ops Trafficker, Performance Strategist - LumenAd
What we all have in common is a belief in, and unwavering commitment to, old-fashioned hard work, attention to detail, experimentation, collaboration, and exploration.
- Montana Career Opportunities -Developer, Database Administrator, IT Technician, TMS Logistics Manager and more.... - Arrow Solutions Group
At Arrow Solutions Group we're your liaison to the employer and the job you want. Search our Job Postings and find a technology job that fits you.
- Montana Career Opportunities -DevOps Engineer and more... - Goomzee
Goomzee is growing and seeks highly-motivated individuals to contribute towards our continued success.
- Montana Career Opportunities - Travel Coordinator, Technical Support Analyst I or II, Customer Service Representative I, Data Analyst I, II, or III and more... - Edulog
Education Logistics, Inc. is the original school bus routing software company and has been providing Routing and Planning software solutions to districts across North America since 1977.
- Montana Career Opportunities - Data Integration Engineer, UI Developer, Senior Software Engineer - SoFi
Ideal candidates must be enthused about database development, be a quick learner and be self-starting.
- Montana Career Opportunities -Managed Service Analyst, Consultant, QA Analyst, QA/Automation Engineer and more... - Advanced Technology Group
Are you ready to change your drive?
- Montana Career Opportunities - Full Time & Part Time Web Development Instructors, Montana Code Girls Program Director - Montana Code Academy
New Skills. New Job. New Career. New Life!
- Montana Career Opportunities -VP/Director of Marketing & Sales, Sr. Quality Engineer, Web Developer and more... - onXmaps
Revolutionary maps and mapping applications
- Montana Career Opportunity -Senior Software Engineer - Schedulicity, Inc.
We are the leader in online appointment scheduling, helping small businesses save hours a day and increase profitability by eliminating the hassles of scheduling with pencil and paper.
- Montana Career Opportunities -Software Programmer, Software Tester, GIS Tech Support and more... - LogiSYS911
Our principal focus is providing logistics/life cycle management, information technology services, training and training support services, and scientific, engineering, and technical support services to these customers.
- Montana Career Opportunities - Pre-College Advisor (Crow Area), GEAR UP Program Manager, Re-Entry Manager - Office of the Commissioner of Higher Education
The Office of the Commissioner of Higher Education (OCHE) is the central administrative unit of the Montana University System and the Board of Regents.
Developing Funding Opportunities in Montana
- Conferences promote business opportunities in Montana and California
Conferences are great resources for new innovations in your industry, and they're excellent opportunities to meet future business partners. Bozeman's Big Sky Dev Con in August and Malta's Hi-Line Technology Roundup did just that. Though adoption of such conferences are just beginning here at home, it's a great opportunity to set the precedent for Montana as a technological leader.
- Frontier Funds analyze investment history at halfway point of fund 2
Frontier Funds' mission is to provide sophisticated, early stage equity capital to companies with a desire to scale and exit with a bias toward Montana based opportunities.
Montana Economic Development
- Family Business Day honors tight-knit Montana entrepreneurs
A pair of local businesses were honored as part of the 23rd Annual Family Business Day hosted by Montana State University's Jake Jabs College of Business & Entrepreneurship.
Canada Business & Economic Development
- Governor Bullock Announces Support for Major T-Mobile Expansion in Montana
"Montana's economy is strong and we are seeing great opportunities for businesses to grow and expand all across the state," said Governor Bullock
City Club Missoula
- Trudeau Reveals Huge Plan to Build New Canadian Infrastructure
"a bold bet to inject life into an economy struggling with a rout in commodity prices, especially crude oil, which was once Canada's top export."
- City Club Missoula Forum - Missoula looks to better integrate felons after prison
The availability of community housing and employment are significant factors in whether a former inmate reoffends or successfully reintegrates into society, experts told City Club Missoula on Monday.
- Economic Gardening Program Plants The Seeds For Economic Success In Louisiana
Economic Gardening provides free consulting advice to businesses that show potential for expansion. The idea is to grow jobs and revenue, which helps not just the state but also communities.
Regional Economic Development
- A frontier hospital that measures success by technology
Lost Rivers -- a critical access hospital in Arco -- is a holdout.
21st Century Education Initiative - "You Should Care..."
- Today we announce the release of our next book, Thoughts on Building Strong Towns, Volume 2.
Volume II is a chance to share the top essays published on our website in 2015, reworked and compiled into compelling chapters including, "Can you be an engineer and speak out for reform?" "Dealing with Congestion," and "My Car Pays Cheaper Rent Than Me."
Montana Education/Business Partnerships
- Lauren Scofield - Miss Montana 2016. Beyond the Title: Lessons Learned Outside My Comfort Zone
Lauren talks about her own journey into STEM and how she will be sharing it with school kids across Montana this year. She also has a section called "Nerdy is Sexy." I'm not sure if you've met Lauren yet, but she is a fantastic young woman and will be a great role model for our girls and boys throughout Montana.
- Today's TED Talk - 4 reasons to learn a new language
Why bother learning a foreign language?
- The Missoula Economic Partnership launches new platform, developed by Submittable, to help businesses solve tech problems
"This new effort is just another way for us to gather data on industries," said Ewan. "It gives the university an idea of what the private sector is doing. It's not particular to any single industry. The form is there to capture what the need is."
Funding and Building your Business
- Listen to your POP and not your DAD: community leaders gather to talk placemaking
Simply put, placemaking means creating spaces people want to be in instead of just passing through.
Connectivity & Communications
- 10 Cool Tools To Build Apps Without Code
Building an app doesn't always require skill in software development. All it takes is one of these tools and you too can create effective business-class apps.
- Facebook is talking to the White House about giving you 'free' Internet.
Here's why that may be controversial.
- What Procurement Officers Should Know Before Finalizing Deals with Smart Tech Vendors
A recent report details 13 steps necessary to ensure companies creating well-secured Internet of Things devices -- steps that, when followed, will also protect government-procured devices from being exposed to breaches.
- 60% of gay and bi men unaware of anti-HIV pill
Six in 10 gay and bisexual men in a recent study didn't know that a once-daily pill can dramatically reduce their risk of contracting HIV.
- The Price of Autonomous Cars: Why it Matters
But, the big question behind this, as we asked in part one of this series yesterday, is "How much will it cost?"
- Missoula transportation plan envisions different travel modes - and costs
"The whole idea of owning a car, parking it for $1,000 a month, and not using it 95% of the time is ludicrous." General Motors vice president of urban mobility to an auditorium full of automotive executives in New York City
- One town is subsidizing commuters' Uber rides for $2 each instead of building a new parking lot
Rather than build a new parking lot, a move that would take millions of dollars, Summit, N.J., has instead decided to subsidize residents' Uber rides to the station so they don't need a car at all.
- U.S. Dept. of Transportation Adopts Vision Zero - No Deaths
With the rapid introduction of automated vehicle technologies that may prove to be a road safety game changer, our goal of zero deaths is achievable in our lifetimes.
- Electric smart scooters improving travel in Berlin
Gogoro might also open to partnering with select retail sites to sell and maintain their scooters in OPEN initiative cities.
- Robots could replace 1.7 million American truckers in the next decade
At risk is one of the most common jobs in many states, and one of the last remaining careers that offer middle-class pay to those without a college degree.
- Survey Says: Yes, U.S. Consumers Will Buy Cars From Apple And Google
Google and Apple have more potential auto brand appeal than many realize.
- Germany Pushing Europe to Ban the Internal Combustion Engine by 2030
Schmitt also reports that the resolution "calls on the EU Commission to 'review the current practices of taxation and dues with regard to a stimulation of emission-free mobility.'"
- Range Is All the Rage in Paris, as Electric Cars Steal the Show
This show may end up being best remembered as a tipping point for an electric car revolution poised to challenge the automobile industry's internal-combustion status quo -- although some of the excitement is still speculative, of course.
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page