|MATR Newsletter - Fri Aug 26, 2016|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
"National Parks are the best idea we ever had. Absolutely American, absolutely democratic, they reflect us at our very best." Wallace Stegner 1983 Happy Birthday to our National Park System - Get out and enjoy America at its best.
"We're the number one place in America to start a business," said Andy Shirtliff, the small business advocate with the Governor's Office of Economic Development. "The state of Montana's entrepreneurial ecosystem is strong." http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html
Kalispell Chamber of Commerce
- We must recommit to national parks, America's cathedrals
One hundred years ago Thursday, on Aug. 25, 1916, President Woodrow Wilson signed the act creating the National Park Service
- Four in a row: Montana tops Kauffman report for startup activity
"We're the number one place in America to start a business," said Andy Shirtliff, the small business advocate with the Governor's Office of Economic Development. "The state of Montana's entrepreneurial ecosystem is strong."
Montana Governor's Office of Economic Development
- Flathead Valley Health Care Study Findings To Be Released At Chamber Luncheon, 8/30, Kalispell
You are invited to join the luncheon presentation and speak with the health care economist from The University of Montana.
Montana Code Girls
- Governor Bullock's Innovate Symposium Survey
We're conducting a survey and your input would be appreciated. Click the button below to start the survey. Thank you for your participation!
Visit Montana - Montana Dept. of Tourism
- Computers Are For Girls, Too By Melinda Gates
On average my daughters are half as likely to major in computer science as I was 30 years ago.
Energy and Climate Change
- August Montana Tourism News You Can Use
The Secretary of the Interior, Sally Jewell, will spend Thursday morning touring Glacier National Park and will join 6,000 others for the celebration at Yellowstone's North Entrance. Actor Bill Pullman is the emcee and the headline act is legendary Emmylou Harris who will be joined by many more honorary guests and entertainers.
Come Home Montana
- The Biomass Industry Pushes to Make Federal Climate Rules Friendlier to Wood-Burning Power Plants
The industry that burns wood to produce electricity is floundering nationwide because of low power prices, and some lawmakers from heavily forested states are pushing to provide it with an extraordinary market advantage.
- Solar thermal record sees 97% conversion of sunlight into steam
"When our computer model told us the efficiency that our design was going to achieve, we thought it was alarmingly high," says Dr John Pye, from the ANU Research School of Engineering. "But when we built it and tested it, sure enough, the performance was amazing."
- Got a Minute to Make a Difference for Montana's Future?
Here's one very concrete thing you can do to speed Montana's conversion from fossil fuels to renewable energy.
- California to Test Road Vibrations as an Energy Source
The roads literally hum with energy. Why not use that to make electricity?
- Electric Utilities and the Future They Need to Embrace
Fights over payments and charges for rooftop solar are getting a lot of attention, but the underlying issue is deeper and broader.
- How Much Energy Storage Would Be Needed for California to Reach 50 Percent Solar?
"Storage costs are going to have to come down," Denholm said. "I don't want to sugar-coat it: we're not there yet."
Developing a more Entrepreneurial Montana
- Montana Career Opportunities - Associate editor, Assistant editor - High Country News
Also, check out our internship and fellowship opportunities.
- Montana Career Opportunities - Front End Engineers, Senior Software Engineers, Inside Sales, Enterprise Account Managers and more... - Centricient
We're at the forefront of a tremendous opportunity, but we need more people to help us achieve it.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Executive Director - Montana Renewable Energy Association
The Executive Director will report to the MREA Board of Directors and will have overall responsibility for the execution of MREA's mission, including policy advocacy.
- Missoula, Montana's 'Last Best Conference' aims to help entrepreneurs
"You guys are dreamers. You are believers, you are creators, and you are do'ers. And I know that you all are going to love what you create, and what you make," added Shine Scout founder Lynn Casey.
- Bozeman, Montana based Centricient snags $6.5 million for its customer service messaging management software and it's hiring
Centricient raised $6.5 million from Venrock and Next Frontier Capital, and have lined up a partnership with Helix Business Solutions, an Oracle Service Cloud system integrator.
- Mid-year market recruitment and staffing trends report from Montana
The report details recruitment and staffing trends in Bozeman, Missoula and the Flathead Valley and is comprised of data from 1,078 employees placed in various industries throughout the state in the first half of 2016.
- 3-Day Boot Camp Exam Prep For PMP® / CAPM® Certification, 11/1-3, Bozeman, Montana
The Montana Chapter of the Project Management Institute, Inc. (PMI)® is sponsoring a 3-Day Boot Camp presented by industry-leading Project Management Expert Steve Norton
- Let them burn - Inside the search for a better way to fight wildfires - The U.S. Forest Service's Fire Lab in Missoula, Montana
Finney said that firefighters should be intentionally setting more so-called prescribed fires to burn off excess vegetation, or simply let some natural fires burn longer.
- Seattle Gets Its First Cabinet-Level Director of Homelessness
"Because of the growing scope of work around homelessness, Seattle needs a proven manager to ensure we are achieving our desired outcomes."
- "Wilderness is Important to Everyone" Smoke Elser - The Blackfoot Clearwater Stewardship Project Needs to Be Approved Now!
Ten years is a long time to wait and enough is enough. Our local coalition of snowmobilers, loggers, hunters, and conservationists will release one video every month on this website until the Montana delegation announces a plan to finish what we started.
Regional Economic Development
- More investor interest means unprecedented growth for Idaho tech
Boise today is where Salt Lake City was 15 years ago.
- The Manageable Challenge of Tax Incentives
They don't have to produce fiscal uncertainty. States are finding ways to bring these important economic development tools under prudent controls.
- California Needs Systemwide Data on Workforce Training, State Legislative Analyst's Office Says
A new report calls the state's current method of linking data "inefficient and administratively burdensome."
- Wyoming Gov. Matt Mead tells state agencies to brace for more cuts
Ross said the state faces a shortfall of about $150 million for the two-year budget cycle that ended in June, "and that hole's got to be filled."
Montana Education Excellence
- College Won't Train You for a Job, and That's Just Fine
What should you study in college?
Montana Education/Business Partnerships
- Montana ranked fifth for quality community colleges
Analysts looked at cost and financing, educational outcomes and career outcomes when determining their rankings.
- Record $104.1 million committed to MSU in last fiscal year
"So many people care deeply about Montana's land-grant research university and its mission of providing a world-class education to our students, sharing new ideas and knowledge and positively impacting our communities and our world. These generous contributions allow us to do just that." MSU President Waded Cruzado
- MSU College of Engineering seeks businesses, faculty, individuals to sponsor student capstone projects
The MSU College of Engineering is seeking business and individual sponsors for senior capstone projects in MSU's Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering and Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering.
Funding and Building your Business
- FOUR New grant announcements
- Everything you've always wondered about Missoula but never dared to ask
This year's Fresh Facts still covers some of the basics--ever wonder why this place is called Missoula?--but we keep stumbling over enough unexplained quirks and oddities to write about them here, too.
- Intelligent Community of the Year Awards Contest Now Open
The awards program has two goals: to salute the accomplishments of communities in developing inclusive prosperity on a foundation of information and communications technology, and to gather data for ICF's research programs.
Connectivity & Communications
- Guy Kawasaki "The Art of the Start"
Ten years old but one of my best speeches ever.
- Open-Ended Questions Enhance Employee Communication
Interactions with leaders are what make or break an employee's connection with the organization.
- The Kauffman Foundation has launched a new "1 in a Million" startup competition for 1 Million Cups entrepreneurs.
Contestants have until Sept. 13 to submit their best 60-second pitch.
- How Data Expertise Helps Firms Create Social Media that Matters
The research is really to understand how firms derive value when they start using social media.
- Google Fiber to launch service to first wave of Salt Lake City residents
"Complete deployment" is expected to take several more months -- into next year, Tenney said. "This is a major milestone. The city has been a great partner."
- Broadband may be key to revitalizing rural Main Streets
"We're excited to be working with these local leaders and use broadband service as a creative strategy to improve the environment and public health..."
- York, Maine, Plans Installation of Underground Sensors to Predict Potholes
Tired of potholes in the spring? Concerned about that ever-widening crack in the pavement on the road outside your house? Wondering when the public works crew is going to do something about the condition of your road?
Cool Stuff That's Coming
- 10 Things To Bring On Every International Flight (And 3 Things Not To)
And perhaps just as important, I've got 3 things here that you shouldn't bring on a flight.
- Ten of the best Kickstarter products you can buy right now
New stuff you didn't know you needed.
- Today's TED Talk - Don Tapscott - How the blockchain is changing money and business
Blockchain represents nothing less than the second generation of the internet and holds the potential to transform money, business, government and society.
- Tesla makes its cars Ferrari-fast with super Ludicrous mode
"This will help convince people around the world that electric is the future, and that it's time to move to sustainable transport." Elon Musk
- Consultant: Billings should leverage Bozeman air-service success
"What they really want to see is a business community that is involved and will use the service."
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page