|MATR Newsletter - Tue Jul 19, 2016|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
You cannot make everyone happy. You are not a taco.
Don't miss out on Montana's Biggest Technology Event of the Year - Big Sky: Big Ideas Technology Summit, 7/28, Bozeman, Montana http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html
Early Edge Montana
Montana Politics & Legislature
- In Idaho, preschool comes with a stiff price
Idaho (and Montana) are among five states that don't offer public preschool
Montana Code Girls
- Native Americans turn focus inward for political empowerment
For generations, tribal nations fought to tear down the barriers that kept them from having a voice in the government the U.S. Cavalry imposed upon the western frontier. Now, Native American activists are increasingly turning their focus inward, working to persuade their fellow tribal members to seize the ballot box as a weapon against oppression.
- Teen girls win mobile app competition
The girls-only contest, which drew 800 entrants, challenged teams to build a mobile app that solved a problem in their community.
- Building a Talent Pipeline for Girls in STEM
There is endless opportunity in the US market to build careers in STEM-related fields.
- Computer hackers don
The girls looked as if they were playing pinball in a creepy basement somewhere.
- Governor Steve Bullock Invites You the Montana Ambassadors' "Business Open" Golf Tournament at the beautiful Jack Nicklaus Signature Old Works course in Anaconda FRIDAY, AUGUST 12th.
A registration form for the tournament is enclosed. Please register today to ensure your place at tee off. I look forward to our work together as we continue to create greater opportunities for all Montanans.
- Your Company's Opportunity to Sponsor the Governor's Montana Ambassador's Business Open on August 11th and 12th
Please consider sponsoring the 12th Annual Montana Business Open at the well-loved Old Works Golf Course in Anaconda. Please also reach out to your networks and invite businesses, community leaders, political officials, friends and colleagues, to join us on August 11th and 12th.
Visit Montana - Montana Dept. of Tourism
- PrintingForLess is Proud to Pledge 1% - Won't You?
It's a wonderful organization and we encourage you to take a look and consider taking the pledge yourselves.
Energy and Climate Change
- Lolo-Missoula bike trail opening 'culmination of a really long dream'
"It's for the local community, it's for those of us who travel great distances by bicycle, it's for those of us who just travel from our back door for recreation or for commuting or for health," Sullivan said. "The trail connects us and that is a beautiful thing.
Come Home Montana
- From Worst to First: Can Hawaii Eliminate Fossil Fuels?
The state is working toward becoming the first to get 100 percent of its energy from renewable sources.
- California Considers Connecting Electric Vehicles, Home Batteries Up to the Grid
The state's system operator has received federal approval to begin aggregating small-scale, disparate technology into coordinated groups.
- Montana Career Opportunity - UX/UI Designer - Submittable
You would be responsible for every aspect of our platform that is used or seen by people. You must be obsessively detail-orientated, empathetic, and having a unique aesthetic.
- Senator Tester notes benefits of living rural Montana
"Millennials are driven by quality of life," Tester said. "There's no better place to have a quality life than rural Montana and rural America. We have to make sure they know that."
- Talent drain: Montana has trouble keeping young college graduates
Only 38 percent of Montana University System bachelor's degree recipients who major in engineering - and 55 percent of STEM degree holders overall -are employed in Montana within their first year after graduation.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Assistant Chief Information Officer - University of Montana
The ACIO leads a group of IT professionals from within the Central Computing Services unit of Information Technology, and occasionally other staff, on a project basis, from other areas within the university community.
- 20 under 40: Mario Schulzke doesn't need things to be perfect as he pushes for quick wins at the University of Montana
"This is my favorite place by far. If I can avoid it, I'll never leave."
Montana Economic Development
- Butte's modern-day Copper King: Dennis Washington
He started with virtually nothing. The Missoula-based Washington launched his construction empire in 1966 with a D-8 Caterpillar bulldozer, a $30,000 loan, and a contract to build roads for the Forest Service.
- Agilatech - Industrial Internet of Things Solutions - We connect your world to the Internet
Our devices are the interface between the real world and the digital world.
- Montana State University alum Alex Crosby's app for reducing drunken driving accepted into prestigious Techstars accelerator program
The Techstars program provides startups with $120,000 in funding, plus access to executive-level contacts in successful companies. Participants refine their businesses and market strategies to prepare for recruiting venture capital in order to significantly grow their companies.
- Missoula Entrepreneur of the Week: Hobie Hare of Your Life Nature LLC
Through my business, Your Life Nature, LLC, I help people experience more peace at home, more effectiveness at work, and a more positive mindset in life through nature connection mentoring, speaking, guiding and photography.
- The Montana Cooperative Development Center - Pulling rural towns together to save businesses
MCDC has delivered technical assistance to fledgling cooperatives across Montana thanks to an annual $65,000 appropriation from the Montana State Legislature and essential support from USDA-Rural Development through competitive grants, usually $200,000 a year.
Come Home Idaho
- There is now evidence that poor grip strength predicts early mortality in young people.
If we can predict lifespan, can we also modify it?
- How to Find and Get the Best from a Good Mentor
The success of the relationship will be heavily biased towards the mentee doing five key things ahead of each and every meeting.
Next Generation Broadband in Montana
- Solu to hire 88 for its Ketchum, Idaho Operations
Solu will hire from outside of Idaho as it fills 88 career opportunities in Ketchum, Idaho by 2020.
Incubators and R&D
- Anaconda to acquire high-speed fiber-optic network
As early as March students in Anaconda will be able to access faster internet thanks to a fiber-optic network that's being installed by Fatbeam - an Idaho-based company that specializes in the installation of fiber optics in communities under 150,000
- The effects of the state's first fiber optics network
BroadbandNow.com lists Butte as having the fastest Internet speeds in all of Montana, averaging 29.3 megabytes per second.
- CenturyLink deploys 1 gigabit fiber service to Missoula's Polleys Square at Old Sawmill District
Polleys Square provides urban living in the heart of Missoula at Old Sawmill District.
Oregon Economic Development
- San Francisco Opens Superpublic Innovation Lab
The lab is intended to create solutions for cities by harnessing academic, private-sector and government partnerships.
- A Portland Project Keeps It Funky, With Design and Funding
Only investors living in the handful of states -- Oregon, Washington, California and Massachusetts, as well as the District of Columbia -- that have given regulatory approval can get involved in the Fair-Haired Dumbbell project.
- Portland restaurants wish they'd ditched tipping long ago
"It was unfortunate that it happened right before we were about to initiate one-house at The Bent Brick," Dolich said earlier this month. "Every indication ... at Park Kitchen is it should have been that way forever."
21st Century Education Initiative - "You Should Care..."
- University of Wyoming president urges enrollment 'pipeline' for Wind River Reservation
"Not every student wants to go to a community college or a tribal college, and they certainly should have the ability to go right to a university if they want to do that."
- The 7 questions every new teacher should be able to answer - How would your childrens' teachers answer these?
Teaching for the 21st century looks a lot different. Here's what admins -- and teachers -- need to know for job interviews and beyond
Montana Education Excellence
- Code Camp: Bitterroot youth learn computer programming skills
Confidence in their ability to write code has been the outcome at the computer coding camp taught by CodeChangers, a Utah based company started by Hamilton High alum Jason Schallenberger.
- What Clinton's college affordability plan could mean for you
Here are five key aspects of Clinton's entire plan:
- The University of Montana Western in Dillon lauded as a top school in Montana
This ranking puts Montana Western up there will Princeton, Auburn and Duke as among the nation’s best universities.
- Montana proposes new science standards for schools, but how kids learn is still decided locally
The proposed standards are less resource-dependent, she said. Promotional materials for the standards pitch them as "not just a series of isolated facts," but as encouraging students to apply concepts across disciplines.
- Montana adopts new arts, health, P.E. standards for public schools
The office also has to conduct an economic impact statement, which surveys school districts on whether implementing the standards would create a financial burden for schools.
- 2017 Conference For Undergraduate Women In Physics, 1/13-15, Bozeman, Montana
The conference, to be held Jan. 13-15 in Bozeman, is intended for undergraduate women from the Northwest region, including Montana, Washington, Oregon, Idaho, North and South Dakota.
Funding and Building your Business
- Boulder Celebrates 9th Annual 'Tube To Work Day'
Friday is the ninth annual Tube To Work Day in Boulder. Begun by two men in 2008, attendance jumped to over 200 participants in 2015. -- What does your community do that's unique?
- Is this city the best-kept secret in Montana? Some think so...
a little-known city in northwest Montana. From looking at the map I assumed it was in the middle of nowhere, but you know what they say about making assumptions.
- Public Invited to Share Testimonials About 'Backroads of Montana'
Fans of the program are encouraged to share stories about their favorite "Backroads" person or place, recount trips they have taken based on the program and maybe even sing the theme song.
- Five Factors Driving Economic Growth in Small Cities
At last month's National Main Streets Conference, researcher David Ivan of Michigan State University shared his research on over 300 small communities in 22 states in order to ascertain what makes a place "cool."
- University of Montana Launches Welcome Week for New Students, Invites Public to Help Students Move In
Members of the public are invited to volunteer, along with UM faculty and staff, between 11 a.m. and 5 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 24, and Saturday, Aug. 27.
Connectivity & Communications
- Webinar: 5 Keys To Attracting The Best Clients, 07/19, Billings
If you position yourself properly they will see you as the Authority and then your world will change.
- The Pivotal Stories Every Startup Leader Should Be Able to Tell
The skill that made the critical difference: Being able to tell good stories.
- 10 Reasons Entrepreneurs Need To Market Themselves
Selling yourself is more important than selling your idea.
- How to really erase all personal data from your laptop, tablet, or phone
That's why it's so crucial to properly erase all of the personal data from your device before you sell it, recycle it, or pass it along to a friend or family member.
Cool Stuff That's Coming
- Living Art of Montana
Living Art of Montana uses the arts and nature to support healing by offering art and writing workshops for people dealing with illness and loss.
- This New Tech is Going to be 5x Bigger than the iPhone
A radical new breakthrough in computer processing is now reshaping the future of technology.
- Artificial Intelligence Swarms Silicon Valley on Wings and Wheels
Now Silicon Valley has found its next shiny new thing. And it does not have a "Like" button.
- TranPlanMT will move Montanans forward together with your feedback
MDT's mission is to serve our users by providing a transportation system and services that emphasize quality, safety, cost effectiveness, economic vitality and sensitivity to the environment.
- Imagining the Future of Transportation: How Optimistic Should We Be?
As the world awaits Elon Musk's master plan for Tesla, we provide a glimpse into America's master plan for transportation on this week's podcast.
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page