|MATR Newsletter - Fri Apr 29, 2016|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
What if, after you die, God asks you, "So, how was heaven?"
Just for fun: Lochsa River Madness Video: http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html
Gov. Steve Bullock
Montana Data Focused Business Cluster
- Montana Governor Steve Bullock Launches His Infrastructure Funding Plan to Build Montana, Create Jobs, and Grow Montana's Economy
Governor calls on Montana legislature to join him and invest in infrastructure next session, proposes long-term solution to addressing infrastructure needs for future generations of Montanans
Montana Department of Commerce
- How Public Utilities Can Turn Information Silos into Information Grids
Welcome to the future for municipal and cooperatively owned utilities.
Spika Welding & Mfg Inc
- Historic Downtown Missoula And Five Decades Of Preservation In Montana, 5/4, Missoula
Celebrate 100 Years of the National Park Service, 50 years of the National Historic Preservation Act, and 27 years of the Missoula Historic Preservation program with a fast-paced and fun lunch time get together.
Montana Office of Tourism & Economic Development
- Spika Design and Manufacturing at Germany trade fair
"Spika has a lot of opportunities internationally," said Bekhi Spika, director of marketing at Spika. "We're excited for the opportunity to network with potential customers and representatives at Hannover Messe to identify opportunities in the European market."
Visit Montana - Montana Dept. of Tourism
- Montana Native American Business Advisors
The Program is focused on increasing the technical capacity of the NABA network such as assisting individuals in business start-up, marketing, utilization of business resources, and commercial loan application assistance.
Energy and Climate Change
- You'll Want To Cross These 10 Amazing Bridges In Montana
Some people get nervous crossing bridges, others see them as a way to get the best views. Even if you've got a little "bridge phobia," you must admit these bridges in Montana are amazing. Cross these bridges when you come to them, trust us.
- 5 Reasons Why You Should Float the Lochsa River
#2. 30+ miles of Class IV rapids! Lochsa River Madness
Come Home Montana
- This year's weird Alaska winter should make us very, very nervous.
It's time to think of winters like the past three as glimpses into the future.
- Batteries Will Not Be the Future of Grid Balancing in Germany
Power-to-heat and demand-side management are the most cost-effective measures for the country's grid up to 2030, concludes a government-funded study.
- Is Distributed Generation the Answer to Regulatory Dysfunction?
Or is distributed generation just regulatory arbitrage?
- Movie - 'Racing to Zero' - In pursuit of zero waste
Three years ago the mayor of San Francisco pledged to achieve zero waste by 2020. Racing to Zero tracks San Francisco's waste stream diversion tactics and presents innovative new solutions to waste. This film documents a surprising, engaging and inspiring race to zero.
- Researchers accidentally discover a way to make batteries last basically forever
Compared to existing lithium-ion battery technology, this could shift the future of energy storage forever - and the whole thing was discovered on accident.
- Clean-energy advocates kick off "Charge Montana" advertising campaign
Montana's energy economy is in crisis.
- Montana Career Opportunity - eCommerce Support Specialist - Murdoch's
This position will provide eCommerce support services to resolve technical and procedural problems through the interaction with Murdoch's Business Users, Vendors, Business Analysts, Developers and Consultants.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Executive Director - Montana Community Finance Corporation (MCFC)
Salary range $75,000 to $85,000 DOE with excellent benefit package.
- Montana Career Opportunities - Process Analyst, Applications Technical Analyst - Northwestern Energy
Our mission is simple: Working together to provide safe, reliable and innovative energy solutions that create value for customers, communities, employees, and investors.
Montana Economic Development
- Montana Senator Jon Tester Restates His Strong Opposition to Internet Sales Tax Bill
Senator cites the disastrous impact this legislation would have on small businesses in Montana
- The Quote to Cash Tour - Advanced Technology Group (ATG)
"Uh, Montana is a state, ma'am. Think of it as south Canada, or West Dakota.
- Montana's Big Dipper needs your vote to win 'Best Ice Cream Parlor in the USA'
Big Dipper, which has locations in Missoula, Helena and Billings, is leading most of the competition at the time of publication. You can vote once a day for Montana's famous ice cream shop.
- Montana 4th gambling-addicted state, study says
- Gaming brothers Josh and Trevor Hughes have shot at $10M to build local super school in Great Falls, Montana
In 2015, Josh and Trevor heard about a contest created by Laurene Powell Jobs, wife of Apple founder Steve Jobs, to award five winners each a $10 million grant to build an "XQ Super School."
- RFQ: City of Bozeman, MT aims to update its Economic Development Plan
The City of Bozeman seeks a professional consulting firm ("Consultant") to evaluate the outcomes of the 2009 Economic Development Plan (EDP) and make recommendations on updating and focusing the plan for the future .
- Bear Paw Development has $21.7 million impact on region In 2015
Through its team of economic development professionals, Bear Paw Development was able to coordinate more than $21.7 million in funds for projects in the organization's five-county Economic Development District.
- The Small-Town Midwest: Resilience and Hope in the Twenty-First Century
She's always lived here among the "eye rolling monocultures of flyover country." But as we learn from Julianne, seemingly microscopic sized communities in her five states offer more than condescending city attitudes might easily admit.
- Rep. Zinke announces more than $1M in grants for Montana Tribes
According to Zinke's Office, the Department of Transportation awarded the grants to address transportation safety issues and infrastructure opportunities on tribal lands.
- CIOs Fear Mass Exodus of Government IT Workers
States are not only anticipating a wave of retirements but also trouble filling the vacancies. How are they preparing?
- Former Montana Sen. Conrad Burns dead at 81
"I don't know where we're going but we're making good time."
Incubators and R&D
- Chobani workers get ownership stake that could make them millionaires
According to Hamdi Ulukaya, the CEO of Greek yogurt giant Chobani, 2,000 of its employees will each receive shares in the multi-billion-dollar yogurt company if it goes public or is sold.
21st Century Education Initiative - "You Should Care..."
- Gene helps mice live longer if they exercise
New research with mice offers more evidence of a complex interaction between genes and the environment when it comes to living longer.
American Prairie Reserve
- Why this one STEM course has four different teachers
What does it mean to truly apply classroom knowledge?
- Time to Act: Making Data Work for Students
When information about students is provided in a timely, useful manner, every adult working with a child is able to support that student's learning more effectively.
- Since 2002, the American Prairie Reserve had added $34.3 million to the Montana economy.
See how Reserve expenses and tourism support local businesses, our land purchases feed into the economy, and our tax and fee payments strengthen Montana.
MAPS : Media Arts in the Public Schools
- White House launches $100M competition to expand tuition-free community college
In the administration's latest initiative, grants will be awarded through the Labor Department to partnerships between employers, training programs, and community and technical colleges aimed at readying students for skilled occupations.
Montana Education Excellence
- Montana's MAPS chosen as one of the top 50 after school programs in the US by President's Committee on the Arts.
We reviewed 301 nominations from 44 states and the District of Columbia, and your program's selection as one of the 50 Finalists distinguishes it as one of the top arts- and humanities-based programs in the country.
- Montana State University to build dedicated research data network with award from National Science Foundation
"This is a substantial investment by the federal government to improve our infrastructure so we can better share the discoveries by Montana State researchers nationally, internationally and across campus," said Jerry Sheehan, MSU's vice president for information technology.
- 5th Annual Graduation Matters Montana Summer Summit (Free And All Are Invited), 6/20-21, Bozeman, MT
The Summit is a great opportunity to invite new school staff, students, community and business partners who are joining your local GMM work, as well as a chance to bring your GMM team together for some planning and inspiration.
Funding and Building your Business
- 'Agrihoods' Offer Suburban Living Built Around Community Farms, Not Golf Courses
The model takes the idea of farm-to-table to the next level.
The Creative and Cultural Economy
- Mamalode - Doing Good Business (Social Impact And How It Helps Your Business And Your Community, 4/29 ,Missoula, Montana
We are thrilled to be bringing Courtney Klein to Missoula. Courtney is the Co-Founder of SEED SPOT http://www.seedspot.org/ -- A nonprofit incubator focused on supporting Arizona's most innovative social entrepreneurs; those developing a product, service, or technology that improves the lives of people or communities.
- Entrepreneurs: Investing in your business doesn't cost, in fact, it pays
The fact is, investing in your business doesn't cost, it pays.
Cool Stuff That's Coming
- Bridging the gap between art and code
"It's a way of bringing people working with technology into the arts and a way to bring people who are working in the arts into technology," Reas said. "It's a space where both ways of thinking can feel comfortable."
- Smart home tech unlocks homes for grocery delivery
The future is here, and it's knocking on your front door.
- Inside OpenAI, Elon Musk's Wild Plan to Set Artificial Intelligence Free
That's right: Musk, Altman, and company aim to give away what may become the 21st century's most transformative technology--and give it away for free.
- Google CEO: 'Devices' will be things of the past
His vision: Over time, computers, whatever shape they take, a mobile device in your hand or a mini computer on your wrist, "will be an intelligent assistant helping you through your day."
- Google, Uber, Ford and Others Launch Self-Driving Car Lobbying Group
In the future, companies like Volvo and Ford might be big competitors in selling self-driving cars to the public. But for now, they're joining forces to make sure the things are legal.
- Chattanooga, Tenn., Introduces Fast Electric Car Chargers
Chattanooga is among a group of strategic cities nationwide to see new electric vehicle chargers with which users can fully amp up the batteries in about 30 minutes or less.
- When Will the Trucking Industry Electrify?
Now it's time for someone to follow Tesla's lead and bring electrification to the trucking industry.
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page