|MATR Newsletter - Fri Feb 26, 2016|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
"Education can fix everything except stupid."
Is you company seeking funding? Frontier Fund 2 will be screening companies to present at our March 16 meeting. http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html
Montana Department of Commerce
Montana Technology Innovation Partnership
- Grass-fed meat distributor Montana Meat Co. to expand after receiving grant from the Big Sky Economic Development Trust Fund Program
"It was perfect. It was a good fit," MMC owner Garl Germann said of the grant. "Good staffing is what we've been lacking up until now and we've recognized that it's not going to happen without a good team."
Montana World Affairs Council
- Montana Technology Innovation Partnership: Innovator Training Tour April 14-15, Pablo, Browning, Great Falls
Intellectual Property, Funding Your Innovation, and Going to Market
Great Falls Development Authority
- Montana students prove global knowledge in WorldQuest competition - Montana World Affairs Council
Montana's Academic WorldQuest is the third largest in the country.
- GFDA Top 10 2/21/2016
All are invited to the Montana Ambassador Annual Conference here in Great Falls on March 10-11. The theme this year is "Working Better Together for Montana." More info at http://www.MontanaAmbassadors.com. Sponsorship opportunities still available!
- Great Falls 4th Quarter 2015 Economic Index
Much more that's great about the Great Falls economy:
- Experts project favorable economy for Great Falls, state
Tourism, manufacturing and retail are opportunities to leverage in Great Falls when it comes to economic development in 2016, said Brett Doney, president of the Great Falls Development Authority
Visit Montana - Montana Dept. of Tourism
- Interview with Daniel Gaugler, VP Marketing - PrintingForLess
We started as a printing company but have evolved to a marketing technology company that has bridged the gap between the digital and tactile marketing.
Arrow Solutions Group
- Indian Country Tour Added to the 2016 Governor's Conference on Tourism and Recreation
Learn more about the geology, ancient history, and cultural importance of the stretch of land from Kalispell to the southern belly of Flathead Lake and back up the eastern shore through Bigfork.
- 7 Authentic Adventures in Big Sky Country for 2016
Whether it's retracing history one paddle stroke at a time, taking family camping to new heights or riding alongside cowboys on the storied Bad Pass Trail, the sky's the limit in Montana. Here are seven authentic ways to rediscover the Treasure State in 2016.
Energy and Climate Change
- TecNet Billings First Event For 2016!, 3/31, Billings, Montana
Join us for an evening with all your fellow information technology professionals building the business of tomorrow in companies large and small, new and old, across Billings and the surrounding region.
Come Home Montana
- Sea levels don't care about climate deniers' skepticism
History will not be kind.
- Silo-Busting Will Bring Clean, Efficient and Smart Power More Quickly
It could happen a lot more quickly and efficiently if leaders look beyond just electricity.
- New Hampshire Lawmakers Double Down on Solar Power to Avoid Job Loss
Many of the states with net metering laws have no limit on how many megawatts can be accommodated, and that's where solar advocates would like to see New Hampshire go.
- Missoula County, city to purchase solar panels from Missoula Electric Cooperative
"It should pay for itself within 20-23 years. That's if the rates don't go up," Rowley said. "So we're kind of paying for tomorrow's power at today's rates in a climate-friendly way."
- Preparing For A Distributed Energy Future, 3/3, Free Webinar
Assuming that rapid growth is ahead, it is fundamentally important for broader-scale distributed energy market reform to be realized in the future.
- Montana to lose millions to climate change
"As far as most of us are concerned, it's already happening and we're trying to figure out how to make money with what's already happening and stay in business."
- Bluescope unveils "world first" solar roof with heat and power
"The market motivator is energy reduction, and the motivator for integration into rooftop design is a reduction of material costs and in building heating costs," Coyle said. "That way we can have it all done in one."
- Montana Career Opportunities - Automotive IT Specialist, Business Analyst, Creative Specialist, Travel Sales Agent and more... - AAA Mountain West
Whether you are an experienced professional or in the early stages of your career, AAA MountainWest is a great place to build and expand your career.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Associate Director - TechLink
The ideal candidate will have a PhD in a relevant field, a minimum of five years of management experience, and demonstrated leadership skills.
- Montana Career Opportunities - Customer Advocate, Early Childhood Educator, Business Analyst, Senior QA Engineer, Manager of Software Development, Software Developer and more... - PrintingForLess
Located 50 miles north of Yellowstone National Park, cradled in the heart of seven mountain ranges. You can live in a recreational paradise. The aptly named Paradise Valley lies between Livingston and Yellowstone National Park along US Hwy 89. Livingston is just 20 minutes from popular Bozeman Montana.
- Montana Career Opportunities - Java Developer, Sys Admin, Senior Director of Applications & Development, Manager of Logistics & Operations and more.... - Arrow Solutions Group
Arrow Solutions Group is a Technology Staffing and Recruiting company serving the Pacific Northwest, Rocky Mountain States, and Northern Plains.
- Montana Internship Opportunity - GIS Technician - Montana Department of Commerce
The focus of this position will be to assist with Census boundary updates in preparation for the 2020 Census.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Digital Communications Manager - Montana State University Alumni Foundation
The Digital Communications Manager ("Manager") of the Montana State University Alumni Foundation ("Alumni Foundation") is a position focused primarily on creating, hard coding and reporting all email-related communications and updating web assets within our content management systems (CMSes).
- Montana Career Opportunity - Director - Child Start Inc.
The Director is responsible for managing the overall organization of Child Start Inc., Head Start under the general oversight of the Board of Directors and provides leadership to the staff, Board and Policy Council with the outcome of providing the highest quality of services to children and families at all sites.
- GeoFli allows you to change website images and text based on your visitor's location. Simple.
Based in Missoula, Montana, Nick and Kyle bootstrapped GeoFli in 2015 and are currently touring the country talking with universities and businesses about the personalizing their website.
- University of Montana official says many students leave state for higher paying jobs
"We have a company here, Submittable, that's local and looking to add, I believe, 500 within the next few years. (It's) a technology software company, so we're hoping we see that trend change a bit (so) we can keep our students here in Missoula, but everything takes time," said Whisman.
- Storyclock - The effort to bring Montana to the masses via virtual reality
"There's a reason we live here in Montana."
- Big Prints Plus in Big Sky Country
Over the past decade, our services have evolved into a reliable and trust-worthy supplier to artists, photographers, non-profits, and businesses of all sizes.
- USA Today - Coal, climate change clash in Colstrip, Montana
Colstrip residents are concerned about two generating units closing as the result of legislation in Washington state.
Come Home Utah
- Insurance companies plan largest increase in hiring since 2009: Report
However, analysts caution that companies may struggle to fill their talent gaps and find qualified candidates.
- How much of your life you're wasting on your commute
The average American commute has gotten nearly 20 percent longer since 1980
- Utah Career Opportunity - Office Manager / Administrative Assistant - SLC Bookkeeping
Our company is unified in its mission and maintains a unique company culture that believes in a balance between work and life, providing the flexibility to do what you love, while working hard to provide the best possible service to our clients.
- Utah Career Opportunity - QuickBooks Bookkeeper - SLC Bookkeeping
SLC Bookkeeping uses a completely paperless business platform to work on clients books.
- 5 Ways to Entice Millennials to the Public Sector
Young people are as motivated by the idea of public service as they ever were. Governments aren't doing what they should to take advantage of that.
Incubators and R&D
- Downtown Boise experiencing unprecedented construction boom
Depending on where you draw Downtown's boundaries, anywhere between seven and 15 major projects are under construction or in the planning phase.
- Idaho's first-ever medical school approved by state board
The Idaho College of Osteopathic Medicine will be a privately funded for-profit medical school with the capacity to have up to 150 a year starting in 2018, with the hope of creating more doctors for rural Idaho.
- Techstars Seattle Picks Nine Companies For 2016 Program
Techstars Seattle, the Seattle startup accelerator, said this morning that it has selected nine companies for its Techstars Seattle 2016 program. The nine companies include:
- Accelerating growth: Startup accelerator programs in the United States
As startups begin to proliferate beyond the traditional technology centers, regional and national leaders are increasingly looking to these companies as a source of economic growth.
- Chattanooga's 'Layered' Entrepreneurial Ecosystem is a Small-Town Recipe, Kauffman Foundation Study Shows
The report, which outlines steps that provide implications for small cities around the country, identifies multiple layers of intertwined supporting organizations that have bolstered entrepreneurship in Chattanooga.
Regional Economic Development
- America's Housing Crisis
If the United States could remove current obstacles holding back members of the Millennial Generation from owning homes, the value of the housing market would increase by at least one trillion dollars over the next five years.
- Economic Development - Moving beyond job growth
It's time for our regional economic development metrics and strategies to match that ambition--not just more jobs, but better incomes and opportunities for all.
21st Century Education Initiative - "You Should Care..."
- Montana's Growing Demand For Health Professionals Spurs Education Initiatives
A new analysis this year says demand for healthcare workers in Montana is going to grow by 40 percent in the next 10 years.
Montana Education Excellence
- The rise of coding: How one rural district is changing with the times
"Creativity, problem solving, collaboration are the big pieces of this."
Montana Education/Business Partnerships
- Bozeman votes to create state's first charter school
"I'm very excited about the idea," Bozeman High Principal Kevin Conwell said Tuesday. Conwell said charter status would "add credibility to a different approach to education -- which is based on competency rather than 'seat time.'"
- Montana Philanthropy Transforms Graduation Rates with $1.3 million in total foundation and corporate giving to Graduation Matters.
We have found in everything we do, if you don't have strong parent involvement from the get-go, your chances of success are reduced considerably," explained Mike Halligan, Dennis & Phyllis Washington Foundation executive director. "If mom or dad don't think this important, it won't work. If homework isn't getting done, you need to be able to call them, talk about the issues confronting the student and family, and figure out a plan to work together to help."
Funding and Building your Business
- #rethinkbutte - All who wander are not lost
I have needed to make this video for a while now. This one resonates pretty hard with me. I hope it does the same for you. We are not lost! #rethinkbutte
- FIFTEEN New grant announcements
Connectivity & Communications
- Eat Your Beer: Why A San Francisco Startup Is Making Granola Bars From Spent Brewing Grains
"I had this moment of 'there has got to be a better way to do this.' I literally felt like I was dumping out these tubs of oatmeal."
- If You Don't Know Your Numbers, You Don't Know Your Business
You have got to know your numbers!
- Frontier Fund 2 will be screening companies to present at our March 16 meeting.
Always open to talk with entrepreneurs about how we work, what we are looking for and anything else on your mind.
- What Google Learned From Its Quest to Build the Perfect Team
If a company wants to outstrip its competitors, it needs to influence not only how people work but also how they work together.
- Creating a Bookkeeping System Can Save Your Business
Taking bookkeeping beyond data entry and filing taxes into a well-oiled machine is what bookkeeping needs to be for today's entrepreneur.
- 14 Business Lessons I Wasn't Taught in College
When you get into the business world, you realize how many things about business you didn't learn in college.
The Creative and Cultural Economy
- Google's AMP Is Speeding Up the Web By Changing How It Works
To use AMP, you create an alternate version of your site that conforms to the specifications published by the AMP project.
- First Night Missoula Survey... and there are prizes.
The Missoula Cultural Council produces First Night Missoula each year on New Year's Eve to celebrate the arts in Missoula. We would love to hear your feedback on how we can improve the festival - even if you've never been.
Cool Stuff That's Coming
- Bill and Melinda Gates' Annual Letter 2016 - Two Superpowers We Wish We Had
If you could have one superpower, what would it be?
HACKING AND VIRUS ALERTS
- LED 'Li-Fi' 100 Times Faster than Wi-Fi
Laboratory tests have shown theoretical speeds of over 200 Gbps -- fast enough to "download the equivalent of 23 DVDs in one second."
- Amazing Video - Next-Gen ATLAS Robot Won't Be Pushed Around By Humans
It must be so fun to work at this company...
- University of Montana Autonomous Aerial Systems Office Celebrates Launch with Drone Fly-In on the Oval
A new office at the University of Montana offers resources for researchers, entrepreneurs and hobbyists interested in using unmanned aerial systems, also known as drones.
- Scientists turn skin cells into stem cells that kill brain cancer
The discovery could offer, for the first time in more than 30 years, a new and more effective treatment for the deadly disease.
- Google Wants to Save News Sites From Cyberattacks--For Free
Today Google Ideas, recently renamed Jigsaw, is opening Project Shield to applications from any "independent" news site--in other words, one that's not owned by a government or political party.
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page