|MATR Newsletter - Fri Jul 24, 2015|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
The Tesla S's and their ludicrous mode (Zero to 60 mph in 2.8 Seconds with All-Wheel Drive) are coming to Montana in August.... stay tuned. http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html
Montana Career Opportunity - Director of BillingsWorks http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html --- Entrepreneurial Spirit Tour 2015, 8/5, Fairfield And Choteau http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html
Early Edge Montana
Montana Department of Commerce
- Research Points to the Power of Social-Emotional Skills in Early Education
It's the pro-social skills - the ability to put yourself in someone else's shoes - this is what shapes the likelihood that you'll stay out of trouble later on."
Sustainable Business Council
- Montana SBIR/STTR Matching Funds Program Guidelines
The Montana SBIR/STTR Matching Funds Program (MSMFP) is accepting applications for funding. Total match awards of $60,000 are available.
- Governor Bullock Announces Research and Commercialization Technology Grants for Eight Cutting-Edge Research Projects
The MBRCT supports economic development by investing in research projects that have a clear path to commercialization. The MBRCT has funded 216 research projects totaling $41 million since 2001.
- The Big Sky Economic Development Trust Fund Awards Business Expansion Funds Totaling $367,500 to Missoula's Harris Manufacturing and Agile Data Solutions to Create 49 New Jobs
"The Department of Commerce will continue to support economic development projects across the state and help businesses create good paying jobs for Montanans," said Director Meg O'Leary. "The Big Sky Trust Fund is an important resource to help businesses chart the economic future for our beautiful state."
Visit Montana - Montana Dept. of Tourism
- Sweden Now Recycles a Staggering 99 Percent of its Garbage
Sweden now recycles or reuses an incredible 99 percent of its waste, an improvement on the already impressive 2012 figure of 96 percent.
- John Oliver on the Ridiculous Reasons America Wastes 1/3 of Its Food
In America, we throw out more than a third of our food, an insane 730 football stadiums worth every year.
Great Falls Development Authority
- Montana Office of Tourism - July Montana Update
Three Cities to Receive New State Funding for Tourism Promotion
- Great Falls Development Authority Top 16 for July 20, 2015
Hard to believe it's 15 days since the last GFDA Top 10 with so much moving forward!
- Entrepreneurial Spirit Tour 2015, 8/5, Fairfield And Choteau
"It's an amazing group of resources for business owners, prospective entrepreneurs and community leaders," organizer Jason Nitschke said.
Come Home Montana
- SBIR Success - Early registration ends soon for Small Business Innovation Summit Aug. 17th - 18th in Bozeman
Governor Steve Bullock will be the Tuesday luncheon keynote speaker, with an introduction by MSU President Waded Cruzado.
- Blackstone LaunchPad Announces Veterans' Scholarships to Attend Small Business Innovation and Funding Summit, Aug. 17-18 in Bozeman
Eligible veterans can obtain free registration to learn about business financing options, exporting and government procurement assistance, and can meet with federal Program Managers from a dozen federal agencies
- Montana Career Opportunity - Director of BillingsWorks
The primary responsibility will be to implement the Council's "State of the Workforce Report" and Action Plan, which outlines the current workforce assets as well as a strategic plan.
- Montana Career Opportunities - IT Manager, Software Web Engineer, Mid-Level .Net Developer and many more - Arrow Solutions Group
The best jobs in our region are often found through knowing the right person at the right company. Our connections get you access to high quality jobs not found in newspapers and traditional media.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Android Developer - onXmaps
onXmaps (onxmaps.com) is seeking a talented motivated Senior Android Developer to play a key role in our mobile application product development team in Missoula Montana.
- Montana Career Opportunities - Salesforce Developer / Architect, Senior Software Developer - Two Positions Available, Account Executive - SwagIQ and more - PrintingForLess
At PrintingForLess.com (PFL), we have all the opportunities of a big city career, located in the midst of breathtaking Big Sky Country near Livingston and Bozeman Montana.
TEDx Events in Montana
- Montana regulator to sue CenturyLink for slow response times
The decision is the first piece of the utility regulator's mounting attack on the telecommunications giant.
- Montana second-largest honey producer in nation
In the world of honey bees, Montana is a haven, a refuge, a place for bees to recuperate and regain their strength after hard duty in the almond groves of California.
- Video: Missoula's Sunburst Sensors on CBS This Morning
XPrize chairman and CEO Peter Diamandis and Wendy Schmidt join "CBS This Morning" to discuss the challenges and the winning team.
- Mike Foote placed second at the 2015 Hardrock 100, and celebrated with Big Dipper ice cream.
His post race celebration snack? Ice cream from Montana's Big Dipper.
- DoD chooses Rochester for photonics center
New York's congressional delegation has lobbied for the center since President Barack Obama's administration launched a competition for it last fall, committing more than $100 million toward development of a photonics "ecosystem."
- Montana's Red Ants: Pants, philanthropy, music and a whole lot more
The festival--it runs Thursday-Sunday 7/23-26 this year, headlined by the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Ryan Bingham, Keb' Mo' and Lee Ann Womack--supports the Red Ants Pants Foundation, which promotes "women's leadership, family farms and ranches, and rural communities."
- Today's TED Talk John Green: The nerd's guide to learning everything online - "The State with the Best Education Wins!"
In this charming talk, author John Green shares the world of learning he found in online video.
Incubators and R&D
- Good Ideas From Government's Front Lines
The people who deliver services directly to the public know a lot. Denver is setting the pace for tapping that resource.
- The Role of the Customer Experience in the Value of Government
It's not enough to simply deliver services efficiently. The goal should be to create a sense of place.
- Under Governor Bullock's Leadership, Montana's Debt Among Lowest in the Nation
"This report is yet another example of why Montana was named the most fiscally prudent state in the nation," said Bullock. "At a time when other states have serious financial problems, Montanans can be justifiably proud of the fiscal strength of their state."
- Temple University scientists make breakthrough in lupus research
The discovery, headed by researchers Çagla Tükel and Stefania Gallucci, found that biofilm -- or bacterial communities in the body -- may provoke the onset of lupus.
Regional Economic Development
- Jet is here. Let the retail price wars begin.
Jet is taking a new approach to pricing.
- University of California to Raise Hourly Minimum Wage to $15 - Push to Lift Minimum Wage Is Now Serious Business
The increase is set to affect more than 3,200 of the University's 195,000 employees.
Washington State Business
- Small Business Program Suspends New Lending
In this decision affecting thousands of businesses nationwide, the SBA announced July 22 that its 7(a) lending will be suspended until the new fiscal year unless Congress raises the program authority cap prior to October 1.
21st Century Education Initiative - "You Should Care..."
- County's fast approval of broadband-boosting towers draws
"You'll see a brand-new service, with residential speeds between 12 and 16 megabits a second and business speeds of up to 50 megabits."
- Apply Now to the Montana Code School - Become and Employable Software Developer in 13 Weeks
We offer four intensive, fully-immersive coding boot-camp programs per year designed to produce highly employable software developers ready to hit the ground running in Montana's thriving community of startups and tech businesses.
Montana Education/Business Partnerships
- Oregonians now get free community college
"Oregonians can now afford to dream big," Gov. Kate Brown said in a press release. "Today, we fling wide open the doors of opportunity by expanding access to post-secondary education, the precursor to a better life."
- Summer of Science
A seasonally inspired stream for the curious, but distracted. School is out, but science is everywhere. Let us know what you think.
- U.S. Wins International Math Olympiad for First Time In 21 Years
You may not be able to tackle any of the problems posed at the Olympiad, but if you'd like to try your hand at a puzzle that, in 1995, flummoxed 96% of America's top math students, you can do so here.
- The Fundamental Way That Universities Are an Illusion
To understand the failures of the modern American college system -- from admissions marketing to graduation rates -- you can begin with a notorious university football scandal.
- Montana State University Blackstone LaunchPad advisees (Pocket NC) blast past startup fundraising goal by $285,000
After launching Pocket NC's Kickstarter this month with a goal of raising $70,000, Michelle and Matt Hertel attracted 280 backers pledging more than $355,000 in support for their project. They blew past their fundraising goal in the first hour, Michelle said.
Funding and Building your Business
- The Williams Effect And The Forward MT Foundation Present 25 Under 25!, 8/21, Missoula, Montana
A free and public celebration of 25 young Montanans who are carrying on Pat Williams' legacy of unstoppable leadership and igniting change in our communities.
Energy and Climate Change
- The Struggle
The walls start closing in. Where did you go wrong? Why didn't your company perform as envisioned? Are you good enough to do this? As your dreams turn into nightmares, you find yourself in The Struggle.
- In Silicon Valley, many want sharing salary info to be less taboo
This comes amid a growing discussion, particularly in the tech industry, about the power of pay transparency, prompting some of the traditional wariness on the subject to fade.
- In big move, Accenture will get rid of annual performance reviews and rankings
As of September, one of the largest companies in the world will do all of its employees and managers an enormous favor: It will get rid of the annual performance review.
- This CEO lets his workers elect their bosses
Americans vote for their president. They vote for their local officials. They vote for aspiring pop stars on television shows. But they do not, in general, vote for who will be their boss.
- Earth's Most Famous Climate Scientist Issues Bombshell Sea Level Warning - University of Montana researcher Joel Harper chronicling changes in Greenland's glaciers
Glaciers in Greenland and Antarctica will melt 10 times faster than previous consensus estimates, resulting in sea level rise of at least 10 feet in as little as 50 years.
- El Niño intensifying, could rival strongest in recorded history
The presence of a strong El Niño almost ensures that 2015 will become the warmest on record for Earth and will have ripple effects on weather patterns all over the world.
- HistoriCorps Saving America's Past - You Can Volunteer Today
HistoriCorps saves and sustains historic places for public benefit through partnerships that foster public involvement, engage volunteers and provide training and education.
- Will 'ludicrous' Tesla Model X be the world's fastest SUV?
The Tesla Models S just keeps getting better.
- Car safety chief backs self-driving cars
"NHTSA is not interested in erecting roadblocks to safety innovations. We want to encourage that," said Rosekind, speaking at the Automated Vehicle Symposium in Ypsilanti.
- Missoula joins Bozeman in bid for American Airlines service
Jenn Ewan, director of special projects for Missoula Economic Partnership, said the effort has raised roughly $90,000 in just 10 days. Supporters of expanded air service are looking to raise the last $10,000 by September.
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page