|MATR Newsletter - Fri May 1, 2015|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
"I know that I am wise, because I know that I know nothing." -- Socrates
See you in Great Falls this weekend - It's all about the economy... http://www.matr.net/ev ... =5380
Kalispell Chamber of Commerce
Sustainable Business Council
- Faltering Canadian economy may not stall Montana tourism - Kalispell Chamber of Commerce
"We're happy that our economy is improving, and that's created visitation from our neighbors in some of the historically strong states like Washington and Oregon and California and Texas being strong participants for all that," Untereiner said.
Dorsey & Whitney LLP
- Vermont's Farm to Plate Initiative Aims at Regional Food System
Even in locally conscious Vermont, only an estimated 5% of the food consumed by Vermonters is actually produced in state. .
Visit Montana - Montana Dept. of Tourism
- Wellness Watch: Guidance Is (Almost) Here
New EEOC Proposed Regulations for Wellness have finally clarified what it means to be "voluntary" under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) but have left several unanswered questions because of the disconnect between what the Affordable Care Act (ACA) permits and what the EEOC's Proposed Regulations permit.
Come Home Montana
- 19 fantastic Montana miles: National Bison Range prepares to open Red Sleep Drive
If all you want from a visit is to see bison, you won't have to drive 19 miles to do it.
- The Montana Wilderness Association is gearing up for summer by revealing its 2015 Wilderness Walks calendar
Starting in May and going throughout the summer, the association will host more than 160 free day hikes, field trips, trail building and maintenance projects, wild land inventory outings and backpacking adventures across some of the state's most magnificent backcountry.
Developing a more Entrepreneurial Montana
- Montana Career Opportunity - CFO - Developd Incorporated
Our newly appointed CFO will be primarily tasked with developing business documents for raising capital, reaching out to potential investment firms/individuals, and eventually presenting financials and concept to investors.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Executive Director - PhillCo Economic Growth Council, Inc.
The mission is to assist in improving the economic stability of the Phillips County area and the standard of living of its residents. To provide leadership in the county relative to the retention and creation of jobs with expanded wealth of our residents and tax revenue for the communities.
- Blackstone LaunchPad at UM - Entrepreneurial Ecosystem Survey
We invite you to participate in the 2015 Blackstone LaunchPad Survey: Evaluating the Entrepreneurial Ecosystem
- Blackstone LaunchPad provides an entrepreneurial education
"It surrounds these entrepreneurs with the resources needed to get off the ground," said Les Craig, the program's director.
TEDx Events in Montana
- Kickstarter Campaign - Poultry farmers in Ravalli Co. raise money for processing facility
If they are successful in raising money to get the project off the ground, the facility will also be available for custom processing to other Montana poultry producers, including hobbyists.
- Case study of the hiring process of a great Montana company, Climate Ride. .."Within 15 minutes I knew this would massively simplify my life."
Like many organizations, Climate Ride used to accept resumes by email.
- Special Grant Opportunities - Montana Only - Call for Proposals - Montana Healthcare Foundation
The Foundation expects to issue more than $1 million in grants under this call.
- These are not your grandma's compression socks! - Missoula-based Vim & Vigr®
Vim & Vigr® has sold more than 40,000 pairs of the socks and established strong relationships with retailers,
- Galactic Farms - The sky's the limit for Missoula "vertical farm"
Vertical gardens are exploding now, as mankind looks to grow more in less space, cutting transportation costs and countering the impacts of climate change.
- Montana Ranks Highest in Employee Engagement for 2013 and 2014
Engaged employees are involved in and enthusiastic about their work and workplace. Day after day, they are passionate about their jobs and feel a profound connection to their company. They are more productive, drive innovation and promote organizational growth.
- Strumming Up Business in Bigfork - Crown of the Continent Guitar Foundation's annual workshop and concert series proving to be a boon to economy
Each summer, the festival takes root in Bigfork at the Flathead Lake Lodge. Musicians come from around the world to learn and interact in the weeklong workshop series, during which they learn from some of the world's best guitar players.
- 1 Million Cups is a free, weekly program that meets every Wed. morning at 9 at MonTEC in Missoula, Montana
Every Wednesday morning, one or two early-stage startups present their companies to a diverse audience of their peers, mentors, educators, and advisors.
- Today's TED Talk - Greg Gage: How to control someone else's arm with your brain
It's not a parlor trick; it actually works. You have to see it to believe it.
- TEDx Coming to the Flathead on May 4
TEDx Whitefish will be back in town on Monday, May 4 at the Whitefish Performing Arts Center.
Business Plan Forums
- What It Takes To Change Your Brain's Patterns After Age 25
Ways in which people can keep their brain agile--and become a better leader.
- Sarcastic People Are Actually Smarter, Sexier And More Successful - People Who Are Bilingual Are Smart, Creative And Better Lovers
Look at you, sitting over there, reading my article, translating it into French, looking all cute and sh*t.
- Schedulicity VP Tim Leonhardt to keynote Startup Weekend Great Falls on May 15
Formally launched in February 2009, Schedulicity has become a premiere scheduling marketplace in the United States and Canada. Targeting small business owners, Schedulicity's goal is to provide a single destination where consumers can book almost anything.
Incubators and R&D
- Analysis: Perfect legislative storm led to need for special session in Idaho
This "coming back" bill deals with amendments to federal child support law that all states must approve.
- Treasure Valley manufacturers have lost business and cut jobs since the price of oil fell
"It didn't slow down. It just stopped. It dropped to nothing."
North Dakota Business and Economic Development
- Google Government Innovation Lab Open for Business
Google officially opens its innovation lab to help government solve challenges, with six spots for jurisdictions available in 2015.
- The University of North Dakota's School of Entrepreneurship gets off the ground
Our students are opportunity-seeking, critical thinkers. That is a skill set that the business world is seeking."
Regional Economic Development
- Lettuce Be Local builds on farm-to-chef links
The result: Lettuce Be Local today connects more than 70 farms and 20 restaurants, and it serves as an aggregate for dozens of farms via email.
- We finally understand what robots mean for the economy
Robots have had a similar impact on productivity as the steam engine.
- How entrepreneurs can beat Silicon Valley
What are the key ingredients to creating a Silicon Valley like ecosystem? I summarize his seven 'rules' here:
21st Century Education Initiative - "You Should Care..."
- Pine Ridge Indian Reservation Struggles With Suicides Among Its Young
Since December, nine people between 12 and 24 years old have killed themselves on the Pine Ridge Indian reservation in South Dakota, and dozens of others have tried, but failed.
MAPS : Media Arts in the Public Schools
- Social-Emotional Learning in the Early Years: Preparing Students for Success
It is crucial, "to invest in early education and care programs that will promote social-emotional skill development..."
- This school in Norway abandoned teaching subjects 40 years ago
"We are not just developing calculators, we are developing human beings."
- How an outrageous cannibal galvanized some seventh-graders
I visualize scenes of Western history coming vividly alive from the book I just read, and I think: There's a better way.
- Schools Getting Engagement Results from Standing Desks
Results show that students who used the standing desks were able to improve their concentration while in class by 12%.
Missoula Children's Theatre
- Two MAPS films nominated Arts and Entertainment awards
"We're proud to support programs like MAPS which give Montana's kids access to an industry that has a big future in Montana," said Deny Staggs, Montana's film commissioner.
Missoula Schools Excellence
- Please join campaign to ensure Missoula Children's Theater legacy so it can inspire thousands through plays
My wife and I have pledged $250,000 as a challenge to MCT and the community to raise another $750,000.
Montana Education Excellence
- Hellgate High School Finance Academy celebrated
Students will be able to take take six semesters of Finance Academy course work, and do both a job shadow and internship with one of 60 local businesses.
Montana Education/Business Partnerships
- Sun River, Montana robotics team named world champs
"I think every junior high and high school kid in Montana ought to have an opportunity to do something like this."
- Montana Tech breaks ground on $10 million research center
The center is being funded through a $5 million appropriation from the Montana Legislature and a combined $5 million donation by three energy giants -- Conoco Phillips, Halliburton and Anadarko. They are the largest gifts in Tech's history.
- Addressing the Dreaded Lifestyle Outcome - Three outcomes dominate exits of angel-funded companies:
What can investors do to protect themselves against the dreaded lifestyle outcome?
- Why Does Startup Pricing Vary by Location?
The valuation of startup companies shouldn't be impacted by location, should they? Guess again!
Funding and Building your Business
Energy and Climate Change
- 8 Skills for Companies Tackling Change
"Governing bodies, reports, policies and procedures are all important, but they are often an excuse not to do things."
- Companies Are Missing Opportunities for Growth and Revenue
Companies miss opportunities for growth and revenue because they don't understand the impact of human nature in the workplace.
- Scientific proof that you have to be crazy to start a business
Forty-nine percent of entrepreneurs surveyed reported at least one mental health condition.
- Google Says the Internet of Things Will Save Electricity
With the rise of the Internet of Things, the demands placed on our data centers may be growing, but the technology needed to handle those demands is improving as well.
- Strong push to expand solar energy in Bozeman, Montana
"The idea of using a renewable resource is really important for us and the more we can do, the happier we are and the happier it is for our fish," said Diane Bristol, senior director of community and employment engagement at Simms Fishing Products.
- People use more electricity if they don't see bills
"It's a perverse consequence of a well-intentioned program that low-income people enrolled in budget billing programs actually spent more than they would have otherwise."
- Smart Wires Clears Congestion and Allows More Renewables on the Transmission Grid
Transmission grids are one of the biggest bottlenecks to growing the world's share of wind and solar power.
- Tesla expands from electric cars into home, business batteries
While home batteries aren't as sexy as electric luxury cars, Tesla CEO Elon Musk portrayed the Powerwall Home Battery and the business system, called the Powerpack, as helping to wean the world off oil and gas.
- Asia's energy needs will drive North American development, UM conference warns
Former Wyoming Gov. Jim Geringer observed that the Rocky Mountains are becoming North America's "energy breadbasket."
Cool Stuff That's Coming
- Actor Jeff Bridges donates more to Montana hunger campaign
The governor has announced that actor Jeff Bridges and a national nonprofit have contributed an additional $40,000 to the Montana No Kid Hungry Campaign.
- Audi on Demand offers a major upgrade from the frumpy rental car
Essentially, it's a rental program featuring nothing but Audis, ranging from the family-friendly Q5 to the sexy R8 Spyder.
- Electric Car Batteries Just Hit A Key Price Point
The best manufacturers have already reached the battery price needed for cost parity with conventional cars.
- New airline could be on the way to Missoula
"Typically these things take time and hopefully the public understands that we never stop trying every year."
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page