|MATR Newsletter - Tue Mar 3, 2015|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
"Insufficient data always invites danger." Spock
City Club Missoula Presents:Mansfield Center: Promoting Global Education, 3/9, Missoula, MT http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html
2014 Montana Politics & 2015 Legislature
- Burlington Beginnings : A White Paper on a Comprehensive, Coordinated Sustainable Early Learning Initiative
A lack of household economic resources is the single largest indicator for a host of poor childhood educational and health outcomes...
- Film incentive brings jobs, business to Montana
The largest growth sector in our foreseeable future lies in media.
- Bill to fund 19-year-old students moves on to House
Montana is the only state in the nation that cuts off funding for students at 18-years-old.
- Montana Business leaders champion preschool as smart investment
"In five to seven years from now the program will be paying off. In 10 to 12 years from now the program will be yielding huge benefits."
Great Falls Development Authority
- GTUIT receives Montana Ambassadors' award
The company has been active in the Bakken oilfields, helping oil and gas producers safely reduce flaring, increase oil production, conserve energy and meet environmental regulations.
- Here's the GFDA Top 11 for this week, celebrating great things happening to move Great Falls Forward.
Help us spread the word that Great Falls has hundreds of great job and career opportunities available right now. As employers start gearing up for the spring, job listings this week topped 800 openings at the Great Falls Job Service. SimplyHired.com has 2,119 Great Falls job listings compiled from a multitude of online job listing sites. 716 of these listings were posted or updated in the last 7 days.
Come Home Montana
- Why enterprises should redefine Business Intelligence to unleash power of Big Data
Growing capabilities in industrial scale analytics and data-driven insights are critical to survival in today's age of the customer - and processing has to be achieved in real time.
- How Open Is University Data? States should push public universities to adopt open data policies.
Prospective students should be able to decide where to attend and what to study based on historical data like program costs, percentage of students completing the program and how long they take to do so, and what kind of earning power they have after graduating.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Procurement Technical Assistance Center (PTAC) Director - TechLink
Provide technical assistance on government contracting to businesses located in the greater Bozeman area (and elsewhere in the state, on an as-needed basis)
- Montana Career Opportunities - Maximo Developer, BI/ETL Developer, Java/SQL Support Specialist, Java Developer and more - Arrow Solutions Group
Arrow Solutions Group (ASG) connects IT professionals with companies in Montana, Idaho, Colorado, Oregon, Utah, Wyoming, North & South Dakota.
MSU Leadership Institute & UM Global Leadership Initiative
- Mamalode: Creating a sexy, authentic voice for moms everywhere
From her home base in Missoula, Mont., Elke identified a powerful niche in the marketplace -- and set out to fill it in a way that'd never been done before.
- Opportunity Made: Missoula, Montana based Nutritional Laboratories Sharpens Its Edge
For more than 15 years, Missoula-based Nutritional Laboratories Inc. has ridden the cutting edge of dietary supplement manufacturing, employing meticulous production processes and redundant quality controls to produce the most sophisticated vitamin, mineral and botanical formulas available.
- Good Question: What is primordial sound meditation?
"...it's very gentle, very loving and it's a wonderful practice,"
- Construction industry faces worker shortage in Bozeman and beyond
"It's bad. It really is."
- Montana startup 406VIP could offer convenience of coupons without the paper
It's the power of promotion "right in the customers' pockets."
- Town Pump to expand corporate headquarters in Butte
"We're excited to announce this investment in our company and in Butte," Town Pump spokesperson Maureen Kenneally said in a statement.
- Bridge Street Cottages - Luxury Cottages, Bigfork Montana - 50% off Between 3/15/15 - 5/3/15
The cottages are just a short stroll to the restaurants, galleries, shops and live theatre that have made our village one of the Northwest's premier destinations.
- Great Harvest Bread - Why Inertia is a Silent Threat to Our Health & to the Bread Business
What if something is broken and you just haven't figured it out yet?
Startup Weekend in Montana Communities
- Montana State University prepares online study guide for Neil deGrasse Tyson lecture on 3/4
"People who want to go deeper into some of the content and perhaps think about some questions ahead of time will enjoy the list."
Next Generation Broadband in Montana
- Students, biz innovators wanted at Startup Weekend Butte - March 27-29
The March 27 through 29 event will be a catalyst for the Butte and southwest Montana entrepreneurial community.
City Club Missoula
- Lewiston Port, Idaho, Eyes Fiber-Optic Network
"It's essential," Hasenoehrl said. "It's the same as a telephone anymore."
- Broadband Network Bans not Insurmountable
Groups interested in starting a public network should look at the fine print to make sure they know exactly how and where public broadband is prohibited
- City Club Missoula Presents:Mansfield Center: Promoting Global Education, 3/9, Missoula, MT
Abraham Kim, director of the University of Montana Mansfield Center, will discuss the upcoming Mansfield Conference, tilted "Asia's Montana Energy Summit," at City Club Missoula's March forum.
- Want to Avoid Procurement Missteps? Learn from Someone Else's Mistakes
A new online workshop from the GovLab Academy targets government procurement officials looking for a boost.
- Code Oregon - Treehouse to prepare and retrain Oregon residents for in-demand tech jobs
In Oregon alone, we are expecting 10,000 tech jobs by 2020. These careers in technology pay entry level salaries of 45-70K and do not require a degree.
- Nebraska looking at ways to lure out-of-state tourists
The Nebraska Treasures Act, a measure by Morfeld, would offer $1 million competitive grants to four sites that demonstrate the greatest potential to draw visitors to the state.
- The best states for business
The health of a state's economy, the result of a confluence of factors, is perhaps the most important consideration for businesses choosing a location.
- This Boss Gives the Disabled What She Says They Want Most: Jobs
The Prospector Theater in Ridgefield, Connecticut is a one of a kind movie house employing adults with special needs.
MAPS : Media Arts in the Public Schools
- Colleges are trying to get students to make a course correction
"The most effective way to limit costs is to limit time toward a degree," said Ronald Berkman, president of Ohio's eighth-largest public university with almost 18,000 students.
Missoula Schools Excellence
- The MAPS MOBILE IS COMING - Official Teaser Trailer
MAPS Media Institute, an after school program based out of Hamilton, MT that teaches Media Arts in the Public Schools, is hitting the road... in The MAPS MOBILE!.
Montana Education Excellence
- Missoula Kindergarten Registration 2015-2016
Kindergarten Registration for all 9 MCPS elementary schools will begin March 9 - April 10.
- Billings middle school student Joseph Little Eagle selected as Montana education ambassador
"I congratulate Joseph for all that he has accomplished while overcoming obstacles in his way, and I look forward to seeing his success for years to come," the Governor said of Little Eagle.
- Montana veterans guaranteed in-state tuition by new law
Because of changes in federal law that take effect July 1, the Montana University System will no longer receive $2.5 million in Yellow Ribbon matching funds in exchange for charging veterans the lower in-state tuition. Out-of-state students pay tuition that's three times higher than Montana students pay.
- Crowd Funding for the Asia Montana Energy Summit - We need your support
Everything is falling into place. We just need your support.
Funding and Building your Business
- Fatal Missoula avalanche remembered 1 year later
Neighbors came out in droves with shovels helping emergency personnel uncover the victims. We took a look back at the sights and sounds of the tragic event.
- Washington Foundation, Montana Resources donate $1 million to Butte sports complex
The $1 million Washington Foundation and Montana Resources contribution will cover nearly half the costs of the $2.3 million project.
Energy and Climate Change
- A small-business guide to hiring an employee
If you are new to hiring employees, or only have had family employees, start here:
Small Business Innovative Research (SBIR)
- States Seek to Shore Up Electric Grid Vulnerabilities
"This is an area in which we are extremely vulnerable. It's a real problem. What if the power doesn't come back on?"
- Yellowstone park's Boiling River running warmer
The temperature of the Boiling River in Yellowstone National Park has been increasing slightly since last August.
- Floating Solar Panel Project Due in 2016 from California Power Company
Sonoma Clean Power unveiled a plan to install a 12.5-megawatt solar farm on floating dock, providing enough electricity to power 3,000 homes.
- A February First: CO2 Levels Pass 400 PPM Milestone
In just a few years, CO2 levels will be above this threshold permanently.
- Oregon Launches $400,000 Grant Program for Entrepreneurs Seeking Federal Money
Business Oregon's new program will help companies in their early stages develop their products to the point where they would be candidates for a much larger federal program, called Small Business Innovation Research and Small Business Technology Transfer.
- "We Can Do Better Than This As A City" -- using big data
He shows how a combination of unexpected questions and smart data crunching can produce strangely useful insights, and shares tips on how to release large sets of data so that anyone can use them.
The Creative and Cultural Economy
- Holy Cow RanchesnNon-profit works to fight hunger through ranching - Looking for Land in Montana
Holy Cow Ranches is headquartered in Challis, Idaho but is kicking off their operations in the Gallatin Valley this Sunday.
- Missoula, Montana Artist Cheri Govertsen Greer - Beauty and Grace In So Many Ways
"My feet still feel the waves, the moon still shines bright over the bay and my heart still remains by the sea."
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page