|MATR Newsletter - Fri Feb 13, 2015|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
“We’re very lucky to live in the state we live in. We all take things for granted at times, but this state has incredible tools other states don’t have.” Sen. Jon Tester
British Columbia Career Opportunities - Director-Engineering, Director-Manufacturing, Director-Operations and many more exciting opportunities... -Seaspan (Washington Corp.) http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html --- MAPS Media Institute offering entrepreneur class http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html
2014 Montana Politics & 2015 Legislature
Come Home British Columbia
- Rep. Art Wittich proposes tax break for Montana engineering, computer science grads
Republican state Rep. Art Wittich's House Bill 404 would lower the income tax bill for Montana residents who are awarded a bachelor's degree in engineering or computer science. The credit's size would be 20 percent of tuition paid for their degree, per year, for five years.
- Compensate net metering as energy generator
Net metering credits a customer's electric bill for electricity produced by a renewable energy generator owned by the customer.
- Governor Bullock stops in Missoula to discuss infrastructure needs
The Montana Department of Commerce estimates the plan could generate about $560 million in economic output, and create over 4,000 jobs.
- Montana employers would get tax break for helping pay down employees' student loans
"Accumulated student debt has become a huge obstacle for young Montanans attempting to prepare themselves to enter the job market," Republican Rep. Bill Harris told the House Taxation Committee on Wednesday.
Early Edge Montana
- British Columbia Career Opportunities - Director-Engineering, Director-Manufacturing, Director-Operations and many more exciting opportunities... -Seaspan (Washington Corp.)
We have multiple operations throughout North Vancouver and Victoria, BC, serving a wide range of satisfied clients.
Visit Montana - Montana Dept. of Tourism
- The Networks We Need for Early Childhood
To optimize children's chances to grow and learn, it's crucial to bring together partners from across the community
- Early Childhood Development is Vital to Montana's Future
"Although education and the acquisition of skills is a lifelong process, starting early in life is crucial. Recent research--some sponsored by the Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis in collaboration with the University of Minnesota--has documented the high returns that early childhood programs can pay in terms of subsequent educational attainment and in lower rates of social problems, such as teenage pregnancy and welfare dependency."
SRS Crisafulli, Inc.
- Family of bigfoot creatures spotted on Yellowstone webcam?
Park officials told a Montana TV station that alleged bigfoot sightings are not frequent, but that they do come up from time to time.
- Missoula-based business Audience Awards hosts competition to find short films for Montana's Tourism Office
"I just saw some needs within the independent filmmaking community,"
- Join SRS Crisafulli in Denver Feb. 15-18th
SRS Crisafulli's personnel provide solutions and equipment capable of handling resource recovery, retention pond waste removal and environmental remediation.
Come Home Montana
- Financial Institutions- Data Analysis is Essential to Optimizing Sales, Operations, Service and Planning
Manage through the windshield instead of the rear-view-mirror
- Montana Career Opportunity - Director of Lending - Montana CDC
The Director of Lending will manage Montana CDC's small business lending program.
- Missoula growth creates shortage of skilled workers
With unemployment hovering at 4 percent in Missoula and job growth on the rise, some in the business community believe the city will need an influx of new residents and skilled workers to keep pace with employment demands over the coming year.
- Montana Career Opportunities - Accounting Manager - The Washington Companies
Washington Corporations is looking for the right person to assume full general ledger responsibilities for multiple companies.
- Montana Ambassadors Annual Conference (All Are Invited To Attend) March 19 -20; Helena
Learn BRAVE leadership skills from the amazing George Bradt, be inspired by presentations from our 2014 Award Winners, and hear how success was accomplished by a panelist of key Montana entrepreneurs.
Montana Economic Development
- Data Breach Liability - What Every Attorney Should Know
"I am convinced that there are only two types of companies: those that have been hacked and those that will be. And even they are converging into one category: companies that have been hacked and will be hacked again." - Former FBI Director Robert Mueller, III
- Stockman Bank one of many upcoming downtown Missoula projects
It's not the only project coming to downtown Missoula. The former First Interstate Bank parking lot will become student housing as soon as mid-2016.
- Montana Success Story - Posh Chocolat
"I came to Missoula in June of 1998 to visit some friends, and by August I was living here full-time. I absolutely fell in love with the mountains and the town's vibe within two hours of arriving. I couldn't wait to get back here and find a great cooking job when I graduated from the Culinary Institute."
- Made in Montana - Buy Genuine Montana
Whether you want to buy directly from the producer, spend the day shopping, or find a manufacturer for your business needs, use this website as your guide.
- BNSF eyes worker relocation to Laurel
Forsyth and Glendive could lose several railroad jobs to Laurel under BNSF Railway Co. plans to relocate workers.
- Columbia Falls, Montana Based ViZn Energy Systems Relocates Corporate Headquarters to Austin, TX - Will Expand Montana Operations
"Our decision to locate to Austin was based on my own personal experience and the city's reputation as a thriving technology hub and supportive community for startups. We are looking forward to the advantages and opportunities that come along with establishing a presence in a city that embraces pro-growth policies and is quickly establishing itself as one of the leading cleantech centers in the U.S."
- Local Bakery Ownership: Perfect Fit for Creatives and Community Values
Their Motto On Bread Baking? Bake It With Love, and Seal It With a Hug.
- A Modern Missoula, Montana Home Equipped for Fishing
This Missoula, Mont., home on the Bitterroot River, listed for $6.5 million, comes with a custom fly-rod rack and a root cellar.
TEDx Events in Montana
- Butte-Silver Bow Chief exec, Montana Tech chancellor, others headed to China
Strengthening cultural ties with China can pay off in many ways, they say. And what's good for Tech is good for Butte and vice versa.
- Today's TED Talk Ricardo Semler: Radical wisdom for a company, a school, a life
What if your job didn't control your life?
Incubators and R&D
- Judge's ruling worsens Idaho's high school Internet headache
A deadline for the loss of service looms as officials scramble for solutions.
Regional Economic Development
- White Paper on Business Incubation
Some of the emerging collaborative models that may serve more clients and be better matched to the capacity of typical economic development organizations.
Washington State Business
- Vision Edina - Completion of a long term future visioning process in the City of Edina, Minnesota
Vision Edina - a long term community visioning and foresight project, which used a scenario based planning framework, engaging over a thousand citizens about future trends, challenges and the evolution of the City of Edina.
21st Century Education Initiative - "You Should Care..."
- Overby Tech Group
We specialize in helping technology based startups and entrepreneurs start and grow their businesses.
- Washington Lawmakers Aim to Make High Schoolers Prove They're Tech-Savvy
The state's public schools chief is worried that Washington students aren't learning enough about computers and technology.
- Modular Robotics Backs Denver's CoderDojo To Teach Kids Robots
CoderDojo--which had its first event in January--said it will use Modular Robotics' Cubelets and other robotics products to help kids between the ages of 7 and 19 learn more about coding software and robots.
MAPS : Media Arts in the Public Schools
- The Building on What Works Coalition Calls for Giving Children an Educational Edge
"We need legislative action that builds on what we know works," Chris Martes, president and CEO of Strategies for Children, said. "This proposal is a cost-effective way to prepare more of our students for lifelong success."
Montana Education Excellence
- MAPS Media Institute offering entrepreneur class
As a group, the MAPS students decided that since "MAPS is the best thing on the planet" and "MAPS helps you find your voice" they've chosen to take MAPS to other places in Montana.
- Bozeman Teen Julian MacKay Wins Prestigious International Ballet Competition
"I am graduating from the Bolshoi Ballet Academy in Moscow, and I am the first American to receive the full diploma, so it is really quite the achievement. In the summer I will be doing some gala internationally and will also be performing in Big Sky," MacKay.
Funding and Building your Business
- High Housing Prices Balanced by Low Utility and Transportation Costs: Bozeman's Overall Cost of Living Within One Percent of the National Average for 2014
Bozeman's composite cost of living index score was 0.8 percent above the national average for 2014 according to the latest Cost of Living Index Report
Energy and Climate Change
- Personality Tests and the Rise of the Hiring Machines
By gauging if a prospect's personality fits a job description, online tests take some risk out of hiring.
- How Kat Cole Operates Cinnabon Like A Tech Startup
"We totally celebrate fast failure."
- 8 Entrepreneur Mindsets That Investors Seek Out
How does one recognize and nurture creativity in a person or team?
Making the Most of the American Prairie
- Apple plans $850M solar plant in Monterey County to power all California operations
"We know at Apple that climate change is real," Cook said. "Our view is that the time for talk is past and the time for action is now."
- In Portland, turbines in water pipes harvest green energy for the city
The most effective way to harvest renewable energy is to acquire it from existing sources without too much disruption to the current infrastructure.
- Today's drought in the West is nothing compared to what may be coming
"With climate change, the likelihood of a megadrought goes up considerably,"
- This new Tesla battery will power your home, and maybe the electric grid too
Will likely be unveiled to the public "in the next month or two."
- It's not hard to love Montana's prairie.
Please help us share the love by forwarding this email and posting a link to the video on social media.
Connectivity & Communications
- Submittable 2014 Year in Review: Custom Forms, API, Mobile, and John Wayne Slept Here
We continue making tools that previously cost thousands of dollars available at a price almost anyone can afford. Our goal is to democratize the unsexy parts of publishing and media: editorial and curation.
- The $125 Fix for Slow Wi-Fi
Within three hours, Eero had $100,000 in pre-orders, and two days later-- after hitting $1 million--decided it would end its discounted offer Feb. 16 at 3 a.m. Eastern.
The Creative and Cultural Economy
- City Planning Department Technology Benchmarking Survey 2015 - Is your city using technology?
We anticipate that this will be a growth area for cities and that we will see more opportunity for online transactions in the future.
- 6 Big Government Management Issues in 2015
We are likely to see pressure to re-municipalize water systems.
- EQUUS International Film Festival® Returns to Montana - Call for Entries
EIFF is the first all equine film festival with a special focus on the equine/human bond.
- The Creative Network : Missoula made website connects audiences and filmmakers
The Audience Awards generate exposure, allowing filmmakers to crowdsource their work, engage with audience members and filmmakers and compete.
Cool Stuff That's Coming
- "Here's your moment of Zen."
Jon Stewart's Notable Moments on 'The Daily Show'
- My "dog" Spot is never going to be the same....nor will the human race
- The Startup That Helps You Analyze Twitter Chatter in Real Time
Today, the company launched a tool called Compass, which helps businesses not only track online discussions as they're happening, but also instantly respond as need be.
- Meet the Founder Trying to Start the Self-Driving Car Revolution - Cruise Automation
On a stretch of Highway 101, east of downtown San Francisco, Vogt had clicked a button between the front seats, turned a dial to adjust the speed, taken his hands off the wheel, moved his feet back from the gas pedal and brake--and then turned to look me straight in the face, while, at 60 miles per hour, the scenery ticked by.
- War is Hell but More Americans Die in Cars - How self-driving cars would benefit Americans more than world peace
During the four deadliest wars the United States fought in the 20th century, 39 percent more Americans were dying in motor vehicles.
- PG&E Wants Ratepayers to Foot Bill for 25,000 Car Chargers in California
The utility described the $653.8 million effort as an important step toward reaching Gov. Jerry Brown's goal of having 1.5 million zero-emission vehicles on the state's roads by 2025.
- AeroMobil. Beautiful flying car.
"Mark my word: A combination airplane and motorcar is coming. You may smile but it will come." Henry Ford 1940
- Driverless cars could cut auto sales in half
That would reduce the number of cars in the average U.S. household from 2.1 to 1.2 vehicles.
- The UK Just Made Itself a Fantastic Place to Test Self-Driving Cars
The British government launched the first official trials of driverless cars Wednesday, and plans to set hands-off rules to encourage testing.
- Peak fender-bender: Technology can prevent car crashes, if consumers will buy in
Today it's possible and relatively inexpensive for us to make cars and trucks that identify an imminent collision and automatically brake, preventing or lessening the severity of an accident.
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page