Sorry, we couldn't find any posts. Please try a different search.
"They will be focused on supporting entrepreneurs, the idea being that it’s very confusing to entrepreneurs and young or new CEOs where to get the resources," Frey said. "They see a number of entities all over the state providing services, some offering certain services, some offering others. We’re going to try very hard to provide a very unified, simple presentation to entrepreneurs so that they have a much easier time accessing the resources they need to be successful."
Historically, the state has done its own recruiting. But Huntsman and Roybal fired most of the economic development leadership shortly after Huntsman took office, saying the state needed a more efficient, business model for economic development.
"About 10 or 15 years ago the message to the business community nationally was, ‘Come to Utah. We have cheap labor,’ " Roybal said. "I think the message is significantly different now. Our message is that we continue to have the youngest labor pool in the United States, and because of our high concentration of academic institutions here, they tend to be a little bit smarter and a little bit more educated."
Technology can be supported by backing the state’s identification of economic "clusters," or types of industries where Utah has demonstrated world-class expertise. Gov. Jon Huntsman Jr. wants business recruitment and existing business development targeted in these groups and wants to develop cooperation among competing companies in the individual clusters.
The club will consider proposals for technology-based businesses emanating from USU and other regional universities, as well as those from the general public in northern Utah.
Steven H. Kane, president and chief executive officer of Protalex, said the company will use the proceeds primarily to fund upcoming clinical trials for a compound to treat rheumatoid arthritis and pemphigus, and also for general working capital purposes.
"The main focus is on helping entrepreneurs just beginning to get their business off the ground,"
Unlike other equity funds, Sorenson Capital is a leveraged buyout fund, where money is targeted at buying small to midsize Western U.S. companies with revenues of $30 million to $300 million.
"Our main objective is to maintain an environment where you as entrepreneurs can thrive," he said. "That is our charge, and I believe that together we can get it done."
Hot spots: Utah firm finds a rich niche in hospitality industry by providing wired and wireless broadband service to corporate road warriors.
Reflecting its financial and customer growth, iBAHN increased its global work force to 300 over the past year. More hiring is expected as the company’s fortunes continue to climb.
- Corona Virus Information
- Come Home Montana
- MATR SPONSORS
- MATR SUPPORTERS
- City of Bozeman Economic Development
- Arrow Solutions Group
- Big Sky Commerce
- Big Sky Economic Development
- Flathead Valley Community College
- Great Falls Development Authority
- High Plains Financial
- iConnect Montana
- Kalispell Chamber of Commerce
- Montana Governor's Office of Economic Development
- Montana Technology Innovation Partnership
- Zoot Enterprises
- MEDA -Montana Economic Developers Association
- The Telecommuting and Gig Workforce in Montana
- Next Generation Broadband in Montana
- Montana Businesses Seeking Investment or For Sale
- Montana Business and Govt. Agency Collaboration Success
- Gov. Steve Bullock
- Montana Economic Development
- Choose Montana
- Opportunity Zones
- Montana Ambassadors
- Montana Business
- Visit Montana
- Developing Funding Opportunities in Montana
- Montana Manufacturing Extension Center
- Montana West Economic Development
- Developing a more Entrepreneurial Montana
- Developing an Angel Network in Montana
- Montana Biotech
- BUSINESS NEWS AND FUNDING
- 21st Century Education Initiative – "You Should Care…"
- STARS Montana Early Education Program
- Education News
- Montana Education/Business Partnerships
- University of Montana & Montana State University Tech Transfer
- University Business Plan Competitions
- Universities and Economic Development
- Missoula Schools Excellence
- Montana Education Excellence
- Rural Communities
- YOUR CAREER
- NORTH DAKOTA
- SOUTH DAKOTA
- WASHINGTON STATE
- Connectivity & Communications
- Miscellaneous Ramblings
- GIS Technology
- Cool Stuff That's Coming
- Energy and Climate Change
- Other Economies
- Economic Gardening
- TED and TEDX Talks
- VR/AR, Blockchain, Bitcoin, Artificial Intelligence and The Internet of Things
- Social Media, Connectivity & Communications
- Privacy, Hacking and Virus Alerts