Sorry, we couldn't find any posts. Please try a different search.
"It is remarkable, I think, that of the top 20 institutions receiving NIH grants and contracts in 2004, UM is the only one located in a state without a medical school," said Dean David Forbes. "Clearly, our scientists are a serious national — even international — force in the investigation of health issues."
Today, 40 states target biotechnology or life sciences for development, and all 50 states have technology-based economic development initiatives that are available to biotechnology companies.
There is the potential for the biotech industry to create hundreds of new jobs, all high-paying, so that does have an economic impact, O’Donnell said.
Sirna announced it was moving its headquarters to San Francisco because it needed to be closer to investment bankers, venture capitalists and buy-side analysts.
"What you’ve got is big for the community and big for Montana, but it also represents what we like about biotech in Montana," Schweitzer said. "You’re one of the wheels of the buggy and we need to keep you on. We’re not going to let you slip away."
In synchronizing their resources and priorities with local technology enterprises, they can form the interconnections that foster knowledge transform, collaboration, and support that cannot easily be replicated by other regions.
"Don’t ever assume there is a shortage of capital," Burrill said. "Capital is available for good ideas — your job is to find them."
Where VCs Fear To Tread : Angel investors are filling a critical gap by providing early backing for biotechs
While individuals have always played a key role in funding biotech startups, today’s angels represent a new breed — one that bears striking similarities to venture capitalists.
Spokane’s Gonzaga University may be most widely recognized for its nationally ranked men’s basketball team, but the private liberal arts school is aggressively positioning itself to be prominent in another field: Biotechnology research.
"Montana’s BioScience industry is steadily developing," said Montana’s Governor Brian Schweitzer.
- Corona Virus Information
- Come Home Montana
- MATR SPONSORS
- MATR SUPPORTERS
- Arrow Solutions Group
- Big Sky Commerce
- Big Sky Economic Development
- Flathead Valley Community College
- Great Falls Development Authority
- High Plains Financial
- iConnect Montana
- Kalispell Chamber of Commerce
- Montana Governor's Office of Economic Development
- Montana Technology Innovation Partnership
- Zoot Enterprises
- MEDA -Montana Economic Developers Association
- The Telecommuting and Gig Workforce in Montana
- Next Generation Broadband in Montana
- Montana Businesses Seeking Investment or For Sale
- Montana Business and Govt. Agency Collaboration Success
- Gov. Steve Bullock
- Montana Economic Development
- Choose Montana
- Opportunity Zones
- Montana Ambassadors
- Montana Business
- Visit Montana
- Developing Funding Opportunities in Montana
- Montana Manufacturing Extension Center
- Montana West Economic Development
- Developing a more Entrepreneurial Montana
- Developing an Angel Network in Montana
- Montana Biotech
- BUSINESS NEWS AND FUNDING
- 21st Century Education Initiative – "You Should Care…"
- STARS Montana Early Education Program
- Education News
- Montana Education/Business Partnerships
- University of Montana & Montana State University Tech Transfer
- University Business Plan Competitions
- Universities and Economic Development
- Missoula Schools Excellence
- Montana Education Excellence
- Rural Communities
- YOUR CAREER
- NORTH DAKOTA
- SOUTH DAKOTA
- WASHINGTON STATE
- Connectivity & Communications
- Miscellaneous Ramblings
- GIS Technology
- Cool Stuff That's Coming
- Energy and Climate Change
- Other Economies
- Economic Gardening
- TED and TEDX Talks
- VR/AR, Blockchain, Bitcoin, Artificial Intelligence and The Internet of Things
- Social Media, Connectivity & Communications
- Privacy, Hacking and Virus Alerts