Developing an Angel Network in Montana
Sorry, we couldn't find any posts. Please try a different search.
First, Dodd’s bill would require startups raising funding to register with the Securities and Exchange Commission, and then wait 120 days for the SEC to review their filing. A second provision raises the wealth requirements for an “accredited investor” who can invest in startups — if the bill passes, investors would need assets of more than $2.3 million (up from $1 million) or income of more than $450,000 (up from $250,000). The third restriction removes the federal pre-emption allowing angel and venture financing in the United States to follow federal regulations, rather than face different rules between states.
Hidden in the recently proposed Restoring American Financial Stability Act of 2010 are a few provisions that would make it slower and tougher for entrepreneurs to connect with angel investors.
Just say no to Section 926 of the comprehensive financial reform bill outlined by Senate Banking Committee Chairman Senator Dodd
Litan says the provisions "are both unnecessary and unhelpful at a time when policymakers should be looking for ways to make it easier to finance new businesses, especially the potentially high-growth, job-creating companies capable of attracting outside investors."
How Senator Dodd’s Reform Plan Hurts Startup Finance – Accredited Angel Investor Status Could Change
Senator Dodd proposes adjusting for inflation the income and net worth requirements for a person to be considered an "accredited investor" by the Securities & Exchange Commission. This benign-sounding change would dramatically reduce the number of accredited informal investors financing companies in the U.S. today.
Not surprisingly, the National Venture Capital Association and the Angel Capital Association oppose Dodd’s proposed changes – arguing that they would drain the angel investor pool at a time when seed-stage capital is already at a premium.
"We experienced our strongest year ever in terms of dollars flowing to entrepreneurs, even in the midst of a severe downturn," Alliance chairman, Dan Rosen, said in the release.
In fact, couples investing may be the trend, as Liz Marchi, fund coordinator for the Frontier Angel Fund in Whitefish, MT., and coordinator of the Montana Angel Network, suggests.
"We encourage couples to be involved together in the process and have found that creates a good culture of inquisitiveness," notes Marchi., though she touts the talent individual women bring to her group.
Ensure that angel investors are well-represented on state economic development advisory
boards, along with entrepreneurs, universities, and other industry representatives.
We don’t want these young companies to leave because they can’t find capital."
So what’s the state of the playing field and what can entrepreneurs expect from investors in the coming year?
- Corona Virus Information
- Come Home Montana
- MATR SPONSORS
- MATR SUPPORTERS
- Arrow Solutions Group
- Big Sky Commerce
- Big Sky Economic Development
- City of Bozeman Economic Development
- Flathead Valley Community College
- Great Falls Development Authority
- High Plains Financial
- iConnect Montana
- Kalispell Chamber of Commerce
- Merrill Bradshaw Carpentry
- Montana Technology Innovation Partnership
- Montana West Economic Development
- Prospera Business Network
- Zoot Enterprises
- MEDA -Montana Economic Developers Association
- The Telecommuting and Gig Workforce in Montana
- Next Generation Broadband in Montana
- Montana Businesses Seeking Investment or For Sale
- Montana Business and Govt. Agency Collaboration Success
- Senator Jon Tester
- Montana Governor Greg Gianforte
- Montana Economic Development
- Opportunity Zones
- Montana Ambassadors
- Montana Business
- Visit Montana
- Developing Funding Opportunities in Montana
- Montana Manufacturing Extension Center
- Montana West Economic Development
- Developing a more Entrepreneurial Montana
- Developing an Angel Network in Montana
- Montana Biotech
- BUSINESS NEWS AND FUNDING
- 21st Century Education Initiative – "You Should Care…"
- STARS Montana Early Education Program
- Education News
- Montana Education/Business Partnerships
- University of Montana & Montana State University Tech Transfer
- University Business Plan Competitions
- Universities and Economic Development
- Missoula Schools Excellence
- Montana Education Excellence
- Rural Communities
- YOUR CAREER
- NORTH DAKOTA
- SOUTH DAKOTA
- WASHINGTON STATE
- Miscellaneous Ramblings
- GIS Technology
- Cool Stuff That's Coming
- Energy and Climate Change
- Other Economies
- TED and TEDX Talks
- VR/AR, Blockchain, Bitcoin, Artificial Intelligence and The Internet of Things
- Social Media, Connectivity & Communications
- Privacy, Hacking and Virus Alerts