Developing a more Entrepreneurial Montana
Sorry, we couldn't find any posts. Please try a different search.
William D Bygrave, Frederic C Hamilton Professor for Free Enterprise, Babson College and lead researcher of the GEM Financing Report said, "Entrepreneurs seeking capital to start a business must first use their own savings, then turn to family members, next friends, work colleagues, and neighbours and finally strangers for informal investment. They should forget about formal venture capital."
Pierson oversees the small-business division, which is charged with helping Phoenix small companies expand and create jobs.
In Montana, businesses are much smaller. In Montana, 40 percent of private, nonagricultural businesses employ 20 employees or fewer, compared with 26 percent nationally, according to Montana figures from 2002. A big small business by national standards would be an anchor tenant in Missoula, where 80 percent of businesses have 10 or fewer employees.
To be sure, entrepreneurship isn’t a slam-dunk for older corporate refugees.
Dozens of states are now in the process of designing comprehensive entrepreneurial development strategies.
"It’s almost like yeast; it’s helped companies leverage over $200 million in public and private funds, which has enabled them to grow much faster than the average Maine company,"
Gone are the days when economic development meant hoisting the Jolly Roger and raiding neighboring states to bring back the plunder of a major factory. Today, successful states choose husbandry over piracy. They prefer to grow their own companies from intellectual seeds planted in a fertile business climate.
"The number-one killer of start-ups is when entrepreneurs confuse ‘being lucky’ with ‘being smart.’ You must possess the humility to distinguish one from the other."
Much of the thinking about entrepreneurship—which is embodied in support efforts—is very male-dominated.
- Corona Virus Information
- Come Home Montana
- MATR SPONSORS
- MATR SUPPORTERS
- Arrow Solutions Group
- Big Sky Commerce
- Big Sky Economic Development
- Flathead Valley Community College
- Great Falls Development Authority
- High Plains Financial
- iConnect Montana
- Kalispell Chamber of Commerce
- Montana Governor's Office of Economic Development
- Montana Technology Innovation Partnership
- Zoot Enterprises
- MEDA -Montana Economic Developers Association
- The Telecommuting and Gig Workforce in Montana
- Next Generation Broadband in Montana
- Montana Businesses Seeking Investment or For Sale
- Montana Business and Govt. Agency Collaboration Success
- Gov. Steve Bullock
- Montana Economic Development
- Choose Montana
- Opportunity Zones
- Montana Ambassadors
- Montana Business
- Visit Montana
- Developing Funding Opportunities in Montana
- Montana Manufacturing Extension Center
- Montana West Economic Development
- Developing a more Entrepreneurial Montana
- Developing an Angel Network in Montana
- Montana Biotech
- BUSINESS NEWS AND FUNDING
- 21st Century Education Initiative – "You Should Care…"
- STARS Montana Early Education Program
- Education News
- Montana Education/Business Partnerships
- University of Montana & Montana State University Tech Transfer
- University Business Plan Competitions
- Universities and Economic Development
- Missoula Schools Excellence
- Montana Education Excellence
- Rural Communities
- YOUR CAREER
- NORTH DAKOTA
- SOUTH DAKOTA
- WASHINGTON STATE
- Connectivity & Communications
- Miscellaneous Ramblings
- GIS Technology
- Cool Stuff That's Coming
- Energy and Climate Change
- Other Economies
- Economic Gardening
- TED and TEDX Talks
- VR/AR, Blockchain, Bitcoin, Artificial Intelligence and The Internet of Things
- Social Media, Connectivity & Communications
- Privacy, Hacking and Virus Alerts