Sorry, we couldn't find any posts. Please try a different search.
Our new video is available for viewing on our website home page. Special thanks to Tom Brokaw for narrating the film and to Sandy Cannon-Brown and the Video Takes crew for producing it.
It provides an overview of our current progress and reiterates the vision we are pursuing with our partners at World Wildlife Fund.
Are there cougars on the Prairie?
"This place is so flat, treeless, desolate! It’s just a vast brown land of nothingness!"
The American Prairie Foundation (APF), ranchers work to resolve issues surrounding bison reserve project
A non-profit organization created solely for the purpose of building the American Prairie Reserve in northeastern Montana, APF is based in Bozeman, Mont. According to Scott Laird, director of field operations for APF, the temperate grasslands of the world are the least protected bio-landscapes in the world. As a result, there is a high rate of habitat loss continually taking place on the prairies in North America.
"We’re going to change the economics of the native grass seed industry," Arbuckle said. "The Seedster isn’t a combine or a stripper, but a new-fangled plucker. This harvester isn’t a better mousetrap; it’s the first one."
This fall American Prairie Foundation has opened over 5,000 acres of land to the public through the Block Management Program.
Nowhere else in the United States is conservation more possible and more essential than in northeastern Montana’s plains, says Jonathan Proctor, the southern Rockies and Great Plains representative of Defenders of Wildlife. There are no large national parks or monuments protecting the Great Plains (the Charles M. Russell NWR encompasses prairies only on its fringes) and only 1.5 percent of U.S. grasslands are publicly owned. Most of those are in national grasslands that feature cattle, not bison. "The plains are the least represented ecosystem in our national parks," Proctor adds.
Prarie Dreaming – A bold initiative is underway to buy a huge swath of Montana…and turn it over to Mother Nature. The American Prarie Foundation
The group’s plan—called simply the Prairie Project—is to create one of the largest and most innovative conservation projects on Earth, a grassland reserve replete with as many native species as can be sustained.
Of all the species living in the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem of northwest Wyoming, the pronghorn is the only one native to the American West — elk, bison and even grizzly bears moved in from Asia centuries ago — but it is by no means the least exotic.
- Montana's Tech Hub Effort
- Come Home Montana
- MATR SPONSORS
- MATR SUPPORTERS
- Arrow Solutions Group
- Big Sky Commerce
- Big Sky Economic Development
- City of Bozeman Economic Development
- Five Valleys Archery Club
- Flathead Valley Community College
- Great Falls Development Alliance
- High Plains Financial
- iConnect Montana
- Kalispell Chamber of Commerce
- Montana Bioscience Cluster Initiative
- Montana Technology Innovation Partnership
- Prospera Business Network
- Zoot Enterprises
- Montana Business
- C-Pace – Property Assessed Commercial Energy Enhancement program.
- The Telecommuting and Gig Workforce in Montana
- Next Generation Broadband in Montana
- Montana Businesses Seeking Investment or For Sale
- Montana Business and Govt. Agency Collaboration Success
- Senator Jon Tester
- Montana Governor Greg Gianforte
- Montana Economic Development
- Opportunity Zones
- Montana Ambassadors
- Visit Montana
- Developing Funding Opportunities in Montana
- Montana Manufacturing Extension Center
- Developing a more Entrepreneurial Montana
- Developing an Angel Network in Montana
- BUSINESS NEWS AND FUNDING
- 21st Century Education Initiative – "You Should Care…"
- STARS Montana Early Education Program
- Education News
- Montana Education/Business Partnerships
- University of Montana & Montana State University Tech Transfer
- University Business Plan Competitions
- Universities and Economic Development
- Missoula Schools Excellence
- Montana Education Excellence
- Rural Communities
- YOUR CAREER
- NORTH DAKOTA
- SOUTH DAKOTA
- WASHINGTON STATE
- Miscellaneous Ramblings
- GIS Technology
- Cool Stuff That's Coming
- Energy and Climate Change
- Other Economies
- TED and TEDX Talks
- VR/AR, Blockchain, Bitcoin, Artificial Intelligence and The Internet of Things
- Social Media, Connectivity & Communications
- Privacy, Hacking and Virus Alerts