Montana Career Opportunity – Native American Cooperative Specialist – Montana Cooperative Development Center
Date Posted: Nov 5, 2021
Sorry, we couldn't find any posts. Please try a different search.
PROPOSED JOB DESCRIPTION Native American Cooperative Specialist Reports To
The Native American Cooperative Specialist will report to the MCDC Program Director.
This position will support projects of the Montana Cooperative Development Center within the Indigenous
communities focusing on enterprises using the cooperative business model within the agricultural industry sector
and relating to food system elements. The position will run through September 30th, 2022 and is up to 40 hours a
week. The goal of the position is to support new and existing cooperative food system businesses through technical
assistance, education and outreach services, and networking
Responsibilities and Duties
Responsibilities will include assisting start-up cooperative groups, providing education to new and established
cooperatives, and providing input on Center outreach activities.
• Promote cooperatives as a vibrant business model to address the economic and social needs of
communities • Assist start-up enterprises exploring the cooperative business model for the venture • Provide technical assistance on the development phases of the startup • Collaborate with other Cooperative Development Specialists in the MCDC network to collaborate and share
expertise on Center projects • Assist existing cooperatives with organizational challenges • Track activities on a MCDC database in order to report activities to funders • Educate public communities about the cooperative business model • Gather and develop a Resource Library for Native American Communities for food, agriculture, and overall
cooperative development; includes developing materials and training programs.
• Bachelor’s degree in a related field, or 5 years of combined experience working in economic development, • Community outreach, and/or working with diverse stakeholders in the development of new businesses
• Strong communication and presentation skills • An entrepreneurial and collaborative spirit • Self-motivated, highly organized team player • Competent using WORD, EXCEL, and POWER POINT • Valid drivers license and reliable transportation • Must be comfortable with working remotely and utilizing zoom/Microsoft teams as means of
• Experience running or starting a business or engagement in a cooperative endeavor • Understanding of cooperative business principles across industry sectors • Understanding of the agricultural sector and the interconnected complementary business affiliations. • Experience writing feasibility studies and/or business plans
• This is a temporary position until September 30th, 2022, with an option to extend hiring contract based on
performance and the organization’s budgetary status.
• The position is hourly at $29 to $33 an hour depending on qualifications.
• Benefits will include paid holidays, vacation, and sick leave.
• The right candidate must live in Montana but can work remotely from home.
• A candidate should be able to work independently but is expected to be a team player.
• The position will require detailed tracking of time.
• If the position extends beyond the temporary assignment the position will be eligible for retirement and
About MCDC: The Montana Cooperative Development Center is the state-wide economic development organization addressing
community and economic needs through cooperatives. MCDC is a fast-paced work environment with great support
amongst the team. MCDC’s main office is located in Great Falls with team members living in Great Falls and
Helena. This position does not require relocation but travel into the State office will be requested upon occasion.
The MCDC staff tries to meet every other week to support activity and maintain a sense of teamwork. MCDC will
provide an office cell phone, tablet for travel and a laptop for the Specialist while working for the organization.
How To Apply
Submit a letter of interest (no more than 2 page) and a current resume with no less than 4 professional references.
• Mail in to: Tracy McIntyre PO Box 3027 Great Falls, MT 59404 Or
• Email to: [email protected] Subject Line must include “Native American Cooperative Specialist” The position will remain opened until filled with the ideal candidate starting by November 29th, 2021.