|MATR Newsletter - Tue Jan 6, 2015|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
"Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people into thinking they can't lose." —Bill Gates, founder of Microsoft.
Montana Legislative Session - Can you spare 30 mins a week to strengthen democracy? http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html
2014 Montana Politics & 2015 Legislature
- Montana Legislature: Top issues for 2015 session
"Early Edge Montana" would make half-day prekindergarten programs available to all 4-year-olds. Block grants would be made available to public school districts for the programs.
- Few Americans Know Anything About ALEC - The American Legislative Exchange Council - Now you can learn more., 1/8, 1/11, Montana PBS
They've been around for 4 decades and are behind some of the most influential and controversial legislation in Montana and the Nation, including Electricity Deregulation, Prison Privatization and Stand Your Ground laws.
- Montana Legislative Session opens today 1/5; Bullock, GOP miles apart
House Speaker Austin Knudsen also said the studies he's read on preschool don't show it as a worthy investment and said if someone can show him data proving that those who attend later score higher on ACT tests, he might consider it.
- Montana Legislative Session - Can you spare 30 mins a week to strengthen democracy?
If you let New Year's Day come and go without settling on a resolution for 2015, here is an idea I suggest you consider that could really make a difference. Try dedicating 30 minutes each week to making our democracy stronger here in Montana.
- MAPS (Media Arts in the Public Schools) Seeks Funding (LC0777) for Montana STEAM Summer School Pilot Program
The pilot program is a 2-year program. The purpose of the 12 pilot program is to field test the best methods to expand one existing after-school program that currently provides 13 education activities focusing on STEAM coursework to implement a new 10-week summer school program.
- Republicans 'softening' on proposed Montana House rules, Democrat says
House Minority Leader Chuck Hunter, D-Helena, said the Republican leadership appears to be "softening their stance on some of the rules," and that it's possible some proposals will be changed this week.
- As research dollars get tighter, Montana campuses seek $15 million from Legislature
"The No. 1 message we're carrying is investments in research can absolutely lead to a stronger economy."
- Montana Superintendent of Public Instruction Denise Juneau's legislative agenda: Higher dropout age, funding for older students
"I think it sets an expectation at the state level that we expect students to graduate from high school," Juneau said of both bills.
Visit Montana - Montana Dept. of Tourism
- NorthWestern Reminds Customers to Check Natural Gas Vents in Snowy Conditions
A significant wave of snow and cold weather is affecting a large swath of Montana, South Dakota and Nebraska and NorthWestern Energy is reminding customers of important safety measures.
Great Falls Development Authority
- National Geographic to Produce Yellowstone Issue - Issue will be produced during the park service's centennial
A new report on threats to Yellowstone National Park reveals that National Geographic Magazine will release an issue in 2016 dedicated to the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem.
- Adventure Cycling Montana - Northern Tier Video
It was a blast taking in the scenery, laughing/singing with the riders, hitting up the local eateries, basking in the luxury of the Whitefish Bike Retreat, and (above all) riding inMontana. If you haven't cycled the Northern Tier yet, I would suggest you start planning.
- Great Falls Development Authority Top 10 Predictions for 2015
Let us know what your plans are for 2015. We may be able to help. Help us to grow and diversify the Great Falls regional economy by referring businesses, entrepreneurs and developers to us. 2015 is going to be a great year for Great Falls!
Come Home Montana
- How Timberland used customer data to reboot its brand
Timberland has revamped everything from its product design to marketing to merchandising strategies. And data science provided the fuel and the framework for each of its changes.
Developing Funding Opportunities in Montana
- Website developer needed for site re-do
If you're interested, please send samples of previous work and ideas of how you would proceed in redoing this site: http://www.inteneosystems.com
- Montana's High Stakes Foundation - Increasing the Odds for Everyone
The High Stakes Foundation supports visionary people and organizations in Montana through grants and program related investments.
Montana Economic Development
- Grand Opening - Sunrise Coffee Shop & Moonlight Kitchens, 1/3, Missoula, Montana
Please stop in for a free cup of coffee (or tea or chai) and a cupcake and a tour of the space.
- Montana Goes To Ireland - Discover Ireland July 1-10, 2015!
Join the Montana Chamber as we visit the Emerald Isle in the High Season.
MSU Leadership Institute & UM Global Leadership Initiative
- January 2015 MEDA Online News
Be sure to review the MEDA Newsletter for legislative links, grant listings, and our new scholarship schedule.
TEDx Events in Montana
- The End of Power: From Boardrooms to Battlefields and Churches to States, Why Being In Charge Isn't What It Used to Be
Those in power today are more constrained in what they can do with it and more at risk of losing it than ever before.
- TEDxBozeman Announces Speakers for March 27th Event
TEDxBozeman 2015 will feature individuals who are branching out, those who are pushing the boundaries in their respective disciplines and distinguishing themselves as leaders, creators and preeminent thinkers.
Come Home Wyoming
- The Purpose of Life is Adventure - What memories do you want to have about 2015 this time next year?
May 2015 be your year of adventure.
- Daniel Goleman: The First Step to Success? Admit Failure
When I feel pressure, I go off and meditate. I process. Over time and with practice it's become a valuable cleansing experience.
Business Plan Forums
- Wyoming Career Opportunity - The City of Douglas - The City of Douglas
The City of Douglas is seeking a Planner I to perform map changes; updating the City's GIS system and utilizing GIS to collect statistical data and prepare reports and maps.
- The Mentor Capital Network is hosting its 12th annual Sustainable Business Plan Competition. The deadline to apply is January 15th, 5PM USA Eastern time.
Our Sustainable Business Plan competition is not about competition. Just the opposite. Its about astounding collaboration between mentors and social enterprise creators
- Record education budget is expected for Idaho schools
Some lawmakers are saying money for schools is more important than tax cuts in the upcoming session.
- Program supporting Sandpoint schools adjusting to new era
"It helped Coldwater Creek with hiring to have a good story about schools."
- For Idaho woes in state education funding, we need only look in the mirror
Idaho's founders, while poor, were ready to sacrifice to educate their children. Today, we are more likely to sacrifice our children's future for our own immediate comfort.
- LGBT-owned businesses get diversity boost
California just passed a law, first of its kind, requiring utility companies to target gay-owned companies in their procurement efforts.
Washington State Business
- CEO Who Said He'd Probably Have To Fire Employees If Obama Won Is Now Giving Them Raises
"We're experiencing the best year in our history and I wanted to do something to show my gratitude for the employees who make that possible," Siegel said in announcing the wage hike. He also recently told the Orlando Business Journal that "things have never been better."
- Coldwater Creek may be gone, but Sandpoint is enjoying a second wind
New businesses have sprouted from the company's diverse talent pool - people who were committed to stay and make a go of it.
- Seattle Bets on the Startup Economy
With a total budget of $150,000, Seattle Startup Liaison Rebecca Lovell seeks to create the infrastructure that would effectively decommission her own office.
21st Century Education Initiative - "You Should Care..."
- Wealth without workers, workers without wealth
The incomes of the highly educated--those with the skills to complement computers--have soared, while pay for others lower down the skill ladder has been squeezed. The best thing governments can do is to raise the productivity and employability of less-skilled workers.
MAPS : Media Arts in the Public Schools
- Rural leaders need to make education demands clear to Washington
Challenges facing rural schools and the outcomes today should compel rural leaders to demand better from Washington - and both the Insiders and the superintendents think Washington is not doing enough.
Montana Education Excellence
- New MAPS videos - Darby Rodeo & Logger Days
Friends - the Montana Film Office hired our MAPS kids to produce two videos. One on the Darby Rodeo and the other on Logger Days.
Montana Education/Business Partnerships
- Great Falls College expands sustainable energy training program
90 percent of the program's 21 graduates to date quickly found jobs with starting pay averaging almost $40,000 a year.
- Montana flunking in support for state colleges, report card says
Montana gets a D-plus grade for state spending on higher education, says a national group advocating college affordability and reducing student debt.
- Grant to help MSU increase Native American, minority grad students in STEM
Together with help from Montana Tech, Salish Kootenai College and Heritage University and other tribal colleges in the region, this Pacific Northwest Alliance will develop a circuit for success through strategic activities for underrepresented students in STEM
- Lawyers Take Pay Cuts to Come to UM
"The Law School seeks to recruit professors with substantial practice experience so many professors come to the position mid-way through successful legal careers."
Funding and Building your Business
- Hewlett Packard recruits students from the University of Montana
Career Services, a department within the Division of Student Affairs at the University of Montana (UM), strives to provide students with ample opportunities to explore careers with the world's most renowned and reputable companies.
Energy and Climate Change
- A step- by- step to create a social media plan for your city, state or company.
Starting at the ground flour and building up, here is our overview of how to create a social media marketing plan from scratch.
- How brick-and-mortar stores can survive the Internet shopping craze
Are we in the final days of a major retail shopping shakeup that will eventually make department and other physical stores a thing of the past?
- Identify Leaders By Giving People Assignments
Here's how it works. I'm going to use a really simple example.
- In the end, your startup probably doesn't matter
I have the utmost respect for entrepreneurs, but I also know that looking back on your life you'll see that it will have encompassed a whole lot more than the work you're doing today.
- The Definition of Success
If you put 10 of the wealthiest billionaires in the same room, and ask them what "success" means to them personally, this is what they'll tell you...
- Republican Wave Boosts Anti-Renewable Energy Efforts -- ALEC Again
ALEC has introduced new model legislation that would essentially shred Environmental Protection Agency regulations -- a position that could be popular in red states such as Arizona and Texas.
The Creative and Cultural Economy
- Data-Driven Innovation: Why States Should Build Multipurpose Analytics Platforms
This lesson of building great products and great platforms applies to the business world and also to government agencies seeking to use data analytics to improve performance, reduce costs and better serve their customers.
- Join the Weekly 3D Printing Community Hangouts
We invited a handful of members of the 3D printing community that we have been featuring for #3DThursday or on our weekly 3D Hangouts live show to share with us their thoughts about the past year, what they each shared, and what they are looking forward to for 2015.
Cool Stuff That's Coming
- 50 Americans Summarize Their Home State In One Perfectly Sarcastic Sentence
North Dakota: "All the weather of Canada without the healthcare."
- Radical new economic system will emerge from collapse of capitalism
At the very moment of its ultimate triumph, capitalism will experience the most exquisite of deaths.
- Forbes' 30 under 30 of 2015
Presenting today's greatest gathering of young game changers, movers and makers.
- Handheld device could detect concussion with a single drop of blood
Arizona startup BioDirection is developing a point-of-care device that diagnoses minor brain injury quickly - in 60 to 90 seconds - with just a single drop of blood.
- A Novel Way to Speed Up 3-D Printing, Using Bio-Inspired Architecture
Formlabs 3-D printers are capable of printing shapes with dramatic overhangs or hollow sections, a rare capability at the lower end of the market.
- The 11 Coolest Things at CES So Far, From Wi-Fi Tea Kettles to Electric Roller Skates
The show has barely begun, and we've already seen enough weird and wonderful tech to fill a house.
- Toyota opens up hydrogen fuel cell patents
Toyota says rivals won't have to pay royalties if they want to use any of its 5,680 patents globally that relate to fuel-cell stacks, high-pressure hydrogen tanks, fuel system software and hydrogen production and supply.
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page